Young Newcomers to watch out for

Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: Young Newcomers to watch out for

Post by Tweesus on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:00 pm

Derbyshire has nothing else to his game BUT his finishing. I don't doubt that Fowler was a far superior player but in terms of purely finishing I think Derbyshire is better. Yes he isn't prolifc, but he isn't even a starter for them.

Have you actually seen much of him? He's a superb finisher! he's very average at everything else.

I wasn't mistaking you - I've never seen you post about anything that hasn't concerned a Liverpool player of slagging off a player from another team though

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
Supports : Palestine
Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:06 pm

Tweeds, put your knickers on the right way round. Derbyshire may be as ugly as Fowler but the comparisons should die there.
Tweesus

Post by Tweesus on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:07 pm

Glenn Hysén wrote:Tweeds, put your knickers on the right way round. Derbyshire may be as ugly as Fowler but the comparisons should die there.

I wasn't comparing Fowler and Derbyshire. Ziltoid was ok

I stick by what I said anyway
Z

Number of posts : 1414
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Fowler, Batistuta, Ronaldo, Totti, Torres
Registration date : 2007-05-13

Post by Z on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:10 pm

Tweedle wrote:Derbyshire has nothing else to his game BUT his finishing. I don't doubt that Fowler was a far superior player but in terms of purely finishing I think Derbyshire is better. Yes he isn't prolifc, but he isn't even a starter for them.

Have you actually seen much of him? He's a superb finisher! he's very average at everything else.

I wasn't mistaking you - I've never seen you post about anything that hasn't concerned a Liverpool player of slagging off a player from another team though

I never said he was bad, but he's not on Fowler's level at all. He was just the first person I thought of (obviously) that was a better finisher than Derbyshire. Fowler can just strike the ball better, he has better shooting technique than Derbyshire, he used to score freekicks really often if you remember too.

I don't post a lot, so obviously its biased to Liverpool. But I don't remember slagging other players off, except Drenthe.
waft the hapless youth

Number of posts : 2548
Supports : FC Alania Vladikavkaz Juventus FC Boca Juniors Atlético Madrid The Celtic Football Club
Favourite Player : Donatien Alphonse-François de Sade John Fashanu
Registration date : 2007-02-22

Post by waft the hapless youth on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:11 pm

If finishing is the ability to place the ball into the back of the net, and Derbyshire has scored 6 PL goals, how can you say he is the best finisher of your generation? Has he scored the 6 goals, but only had 3 shots?
Tweesus

Post by Tweesus on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Ziltoid wrote:
Tweedle wrote:Derbyshire has nothing else to his game BUT his finishing. I don't doubt that Fowler was a far superior player but in terms of purely finishing I think Derbyshire is better. Yes he isn't prolifc, but he isn't even a starter for them.

I never said he was bad, but he's not on Fowler's level at all. He was just the first person I thought of (obviously) that was a better finisher than Derbyshire. Fowler can just strike the ball better, he has better shooting technique than Derbyshire, he used to score freekicks really often if you remember too.

Fowler was a great player, I just personally think that Derbyshire is a better finisher than him. Deryshire strikes the ball incredibly well anyhow. Did you see his goal he scored verses Boro last weekend?
waft the hapless youth

Supports : FC Alania Vladikavkaz Juventus FC Boca Juniors Atlético Madrid The Celtic Football Club

Post by waft the hapless youth on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:14 pm

That one last week, and one in the FA Cup last year, were good strikes, but I'm sure almost all the rest were unmissables!
Tweesus

Post by Tweesus on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:14 pm

waft the hapless youth wrote:If finishing is the ability to place the ball into the back of the net, and Derbyshire has scored 6 PL goals, how can you say he is the best finisher of your generation? Has he scored the 6 goals, but only had 3 shots?

Well no, that would be stupid.

As I said, if you watch him, you can see that in many areas of his game he's severely limited - he's not a very good anticipator and when he hasn't got the ball he's not the greatest mover - he's not going to create himself that many shooting chances in a game either, but if he's through on the keeper he more often that not puts it away. Anyway, its a personal opinion... we all have our own slightly controversial opinions on players
Z

Number of posts : 1414
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Fowler, Batistuta, Ronaldo, Totti, Torres
Registration date : 2007-05-13

Post by Z on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Tweedle wrote:
waft the hapless youth wrote:If finishing is the ability to place the ball into the back of the net, and Derbyshire has scored 6 PL goals, how can you say he is the best finisher of your generation? Has he scored the 6 goals, but only had 3 shots?

Well no, that would be stupid.

As I said, if you watch him, you can see that in many areas of his game he's severely limited - he's not a very good anticipator and when he hasn't got the ball he's not the greatest mover - he's not going to create himself that many shooting chances in a game either, but if he's through on the keeper he more often that not puts it away. Anyway, its a personal opinion... we all have our own slightly controversial opinions on players

Well, personally I think its way to early to say that. A very controversial opinion methinks.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22997
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:16 am

From tonights coppa italia report:

Coach Edy Reja was in trouble, but his half-time substitution of Ezequiel Ivan Lavezzi for Fabio Gatti proved inspired. The Argentine summer signing netted with a solo effort almost immediately, then after the 90 minutes had ended all-square, decided the tie with his second in extra time.

Looks like Lavezzi is wasting no time to fulfill his promise - I hear he is quite the phenomenon.

bluenine wrote:Never seen Meghni play, but he is so hyped that I thought I should mention him.

Anyways, some of these guys will be very big by the end of the season or whatever season they get their chance, my bets are on Cavani, Levezzi, Jankovic, Pato, Ribas, Giovinco & Acquafresca.

I remmeber I mentioned the same thing about Rosina, Montolivo, Palladino, Pelle, Chiellini, Obinna, Okaka, Eliakwu & Foggia last summer. Some of them were the revelations of last season, and some showed their promise. The only ones who are Eliakwu, Okaka and Foggia, but the jury is still out on them.

I think most of them will come good, but there always are some who fail to fullfil their promise. The worst prediction I ever made after watching a youngster play has to be Recoba, I remember thinking after his first game that he will become greater than Zidane Doh But in my defense, a lot more people also thought the same!

Napoléon wrote:Meghni ? lol! You can forget him.
waft the hapless youth

Post by waft the hapless youth on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:21 am

Lavezzi scored some great goals for San Lorenzo, great pace and very good dribbling, but he's hardly a phenomenon.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:25 am

Just quoting hearsay, waftie, thats what coach edy called him before the game.

waft the hapless youth wrote:Lavezzi scored some great goals for San Lorenzo, great pace and very good dribbling, but he's hardly a phenomenon.
waft the hapless youth

Post by waft the hapless youth on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:35 am

Blueo, what club did Recoba go to?
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:04 am

Still with us, Waftie, he keeps rejecting offers... I am sure he knows (as we all do) that Moratti will let him stay if he doesn't like any offer... but I hope he realises that he can still show his talents better elsewhere, and Mancio will hardly give him many chances this season.

waft the hapless youth wrote:Blueo, what club did Recoba go to?
waft the hapless youth

Post by waft the hapless youth on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:08 am

Ah, not a bad guy to have around, one of the most gifted players I've ever seen.
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:33 am

Did I mention Adel Taraabt? Smiley
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:36 am

Still is one of the most talented players around... did you see his deciding goal against Milan last week?? Trademark Recoba. Only problem is that he is too moody, injury-prone, & lazy. The biggest waste of a talent I have seen in over 2 decades of watching football.

But I guess if he stays, he can be a very useful supersub when nothing else is working.

waft the hapless youth wrote:Ah, not a bad guy to have around, one of the most gifted players I've ever seen.
Tweesus

Post by Tweesus on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:07 am

TeamJenas™ wrote:Did I mention Adel Taraabt? Smiley

He looked very good yesterday. Very good technique and very skillful but I haven't seen enough of him yet to comment on end product.

Looks a bit like the next Ribery
Deano

Number of posts : 22042
Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:42 am

Not sure...but he's not exactly Mark Noble is he?
Tweesus

Post by Tweesus on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:46 am

Deano Ashton wrote:

lol!

Noble is two years old than him remember
Deano

Post by Deano on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:49 am

Tweedle wrote:
Deano Ashton wrote:

lol!

Noble was also playing regularly at the age of 17...the guy ripped up the championship at that age. He's now come into the Premiership and from the last half of last season and already this season...he's showing how good he is.
Tweesus

Post by Tweesus on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:51 am

Deano Ashton wrote:
Tweedle wrote:
Deano Ashton wrote:

lol!

Noble was also playing regularly at the age of 17...the guy ripped up the championship at that age. He's now come into the Premiership and from the last half of last season and already this season...he's showing how good he is.

Well at the age of 18, Taarabt looks the most technically gifted player at Spurs - which isn't a bad accolaide to hold. If he can convert the skill into end product he could be one of the hottest talents of his generation
Deano

Post by Deano on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:55 am

Noble already applies the talent he has to perfection. He'll only get better. Put it this way...he's much better than what Carrick was at his age and is the future of England Ale
Tweesus

Post by Tweesus on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:00 am

Deano Ashton wrote:Noble already applies the talent he has to perfection. He'll only get better. Put it this way...he's much better than what Carrick was at his age and is the future of England Ale

That much is true, but Carrick didn't really progress too much after first breaking through at West Ham. It was only really at Spurs that he upped a gear. Noble is a first team regular already and as you say, is converting the potential into end product so obviously, he's far better than Taarabt at present
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:36 pm

Sunny of Valencia is another one to watch out for IMO.
waft the hapless youth

Post by waft the hapless youth on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:43 pm

I didn't see his goal against Milan, but I remember his Inter debut. Best substitute performance ever.

bluenine wrote:Still is one of the most talented players around... did you see his deciding goal against Milan last week?? Trademark Recoba. Only problem is that he is too moody, injury-prone, & lazy. The biggest waste of a talent I have seen in over 2 decades of watching football.

But I guess if he stays, he can be a very useful supersub when nothing else is working.

waft the hapless youth wrote:Ah, not a bad guy to have around, one of the most gifted players I've ever seen.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:20 am

Giovinco was the MOTM tonight against France U21, and apparently dazzeled during the 45 minutes of play... totally overshadowed his more illustrious colleagues like Rossi, Acquafresca, & Lupoli.

A star is being born, unfortunately owned by Yooway.

bluenine wrote:Strikers:
Lavezzi (Napoli)
Cavani (Palermo)
Ribas (Livorno)
Pato (Milan)

Midfielders:
Jankovic (Palermo)
Meghni (Lazio)
Jan Hable (Fiorentina)

Defenders:
Vanden Borre (Fiorentina)
Molinaro (Juventus)
Andreolli (Roma)

Let me add:
- Acquafresca (Cagliari) - STRIKER, very talented - the sweetner in the Suazo deal that Inter threw in half of this lad... hope he gets some playing time, I have heard so much about this kid. It is rumoured that Cagliari's insistance for the inclusion of Acquafresca in the Suazo deal almost broke down the negotiation, and Inter wanted him to lead the primavera attack this season (replacing Ribas). In the end, the clubs setteled for co-ownership.

- Giovinco (Empoli) - Fantasista, Baggio style. This juve owned kid has made a lot of waves, and is considered by many as the heir to the Baggio-DP-Totti legacy. He made his much publicised debut for Juve in Serie B against Bologna in May, and did not disappoint - even got a brillaint assist for Trez. Many clubs asked for Giovinco to be included in a swap deal, but Juve turned every offer down, instead sending the kid on a l,oan to Empoli to gain some experience.

Tweedle wrote:What positions do all those players play in bluenine?
Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
Supports : Arsenal FC
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:25 am

Italy 2-1 France
Italy's victory against France at the Alberto Picco stadium came largely as a result of a fine first-half display with the Azzurrini taking the lead on 37 minutes when Daniele Dessena converted Sebastian Giovinco's pinpoint left-wing cross. Giuseppe Rossi then doubled home advantage within three minutes with a left-foot volley after the French defence failed to deal with a Giovinco corner. The visitors reacted well in the second half and scored through Julien Quercia nine minutes after the interval but despite a concerted effort to draw level it was Italy who came the closest to scoring again when Gabriele Paonessa hit the post with a powerful right-footed shot in added time.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:35 am

My mate from Milan tells me that Giovinco dribbled past 3 defenders in a classic Baggio-isque manner before makin that pin point pass to Dessena to score.... he said that he had similar goosebumps as when he saw a 23 yr old Baggio score against the Czechs in WC1990.

I ve grown to respect this guys judgement on players, and look forward to watch young Giovinco for Empoli this season...

Cesc wrote:Italy 2-1 France
Italy's victory against France at the Alberto Picco stadium came largely as a result of a fine first-half display with the Azzurrini taking the lead on 37 minutes when Daniele Dessena converted Sebastian Giovinco's pinpoint left-wing cross. Giuseppe Rossi then doubled home advantage within three minutes with a left-foot volley after the French defence failed to deal with a Giovinco corner. The visitors reacted well in the second half and scored through Julien Quercia nine minutes after the interval but despite a concerted effort to draw level it was Italy who came the closest to scoring again when Gabriele Paonessa hit the post with a powerful right-footed shot in added time.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:17 pm

Giovinco & Lavezzi are already proving their talent.

The others haven't played much yet, but hopefully will come good soon.

Foggia (from last seasons list) has finally come good!

bluenine wrote:Never seen Meghni play, but he is so hyped that I thought I should mention him.

Anyways, some of these guys will be very big by the end of the season or whatever season they get their chance, my bets are on Cavani, Lavezzi, Jankovic, Pato, Ribas, Giovinco & Acquafresca.

I remmeber I mentioned the same thing about Rosina, Montolivo, Palladino, Pelle, Chiellini, Obinna, Okaka, Eliakwu & Foggia last summer. Some of them were the revelations of last season, and some showed their promise. The only ones who are Eliakwu, Okaka and Foggia, but the jury is still out on them.

I think most of them will come good, but there always are some who fail to fullfil their promise. The worst prediction I ever made after watching a youngster play has to be Recoba, I remember thinking after his first game that he will become greater than Zidane Doh But in my defense, a lot more people also thought the same!

Napoléon wrote:Meghni ? lol! You can forget him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 pm