Whatís that smell? Aha, itís Scottish football

Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Re: Whatís that smell? Aha, itís Scottish football

Post by Calidad on Fri May 09, 2008 4:30 pm

The third UEFA Cup spot is still up for grabs. Conceivably any one of Aberdeen, Hibs, Utd & Motherwell can take it. All of them are equally $h!t, but which one will get it?

Hopefully Hibs cheers
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Sun May 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Great game between us and Celtic. End to end.
Murray

Number of posts : 10194
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Murray on Sat May 17, 2008 2:23 pm

Rangers have just blown the league

lol! lol! lol!
The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
Supports : Cambridge
Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny on Sat May 17, 2008 2:27 pm

They will probs beat St Mirren tho Sad

COME ON ABERDEEENNNNNN!
Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
Supports : Arsenal FC
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:48 pm

Annan voted into Scottish league

Annan Athletic have gained entry to Division Three after a vote by the 29 clubs in the Scottish Football League.

They will replace Gretna after beating off the challenge of Cove Rangers, Spartans, Preston Athletic and Edinburgh City.

Annan chairman Henry McLelland said: "It's just sunk in, but it's been a long time coming.

"We've been working for this since we played Stranraer in 1979. We have been rewarded for all our work since then."

McLelland was referring to a 3-1 Scottish Cup defeat and Annan will now join their local rivals in the SFL next season.

The vote was forced after Gretna went out of business following relegation from the Scottish Premier League.

Spartans had been bookies' favourites, but the Edinburgh outfit dropped out of the running after the second round, having amassed just six votes. Sometime in the future there may be a system in place that allows the losing clubs to get entry into the Scottish League

With a minimum of 15 votes required, three rounds of voting were needed before Annan's place was confirmed.

Annan polled 17 votes in the final round, with Highland League champions Cove their closest challengers with 12 votes.

Edinburgh outfit Spartans, with a new stadium and academy on the way, had conducted the slickest media campaign.

But Annan are understood to have won the backing of all eight representatives from the SFL who toured the facilities on offer from the five applicants.

It was felt that Annan were, at present, the most capable of meeting the league's criteria, although SFL chief executive David Longmuir stressed that he was impressed with all five clubs.

And the side from the Dumfries and Galloway town - 16 miles from the home of First Division outfit Queen of the South - were chosen ahead of three clubs who finished ahead of them in this season's East of Scotland League.

Annan finished seventh, 19 points behind third-top Spartans, with Edinburgh City in fourth and Preston in fifth.

Champions Whitehill Welfare and second-placed Edinburgh University did not apply to the SFL.

Spartans chairman Craig Graham was disappointed and surprised by the result, saying: "We will never find out why we only got five votes in the first ballot, but there's nothing we can do."

"It might have been easier if we had gone out in the first round as opposed to being a close second to Annan," he said.

"Annan are probably more equipped to go in to the league today with their present set-up.

"We know we had a lot of work to do. But if people had voted in terms of the future and the vision we have for the club then we probably would have been the best bet.

"So we have a feeling that people went for the safer bet."

Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith, who has been campaigning for a pyramid system of entry to the SFL, congratulated Annan but urged the losing clubs not to lose hope.

"There were five very strong candidates to take their place," he said.

"To the other four clubs, I would say that they should continue the work that they are doing and that sometime in the future there may be a system in place that allows them to get entry into the Scottish League."

Meanwhile, Annan will play their first game as a SFL club when they visit Clyde's Broadwood Stadium in the Challenge Cup on 26 July.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/7487357.stm
Since 1888

Number of posts : 5171
Supports : Sparta Rotterdam
Favourite Player : Sepp de Roover

Post by Since 1888 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:37 pm

Can someone please tell me how Karim Touzani did for Aberdeen?
The Bulk

Number of posts : 1961

Post by The Bulk on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 pm

Since 1888 wrote:Can someone please tell me how Karim Touzani did for Aberdeen?

Hey,

I don't recollect seeing him play, but I gather that he's regarded as something of a cult hero. Murray should be able to clear this up for you.

Anyway, I don't think he played for Aberdeen very often. That's why he's left, I guess.

Dutch defender Karim Touzani has left Aberdeen to return to his homeland.

The 27-year-old is set to sign a three-year deal with Sparta Rotterdam after two years at Pittodrie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/7490481.stm

Edit - Doh! I guess you already knew that and, since you're a Sparta fan, that's why you were asking!
Since 1888

Number of posts : 5171
Supports : Sparta Rotterdam
Favourite Player : Sepp de Roover

Post by Since 1888 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Hehe yes, Murray said he was injured quite often in another thread. Could be the nature of psychial Scottish football, don't know. He is regarded as a good buy from our fans.
Murray

Post by Murray on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:42 pm

He was probably better in European games than the domestic ones. He will be a good buy if he stays fit.
monty

Number of posts : 288
Supports : Kilmarnock, Chelsea and Kaiserslautern
Favourite Player : Michael Ballack
Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by monty on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Not a bad player, defo suits the European game more than the Scottish league
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:49 pm

We're playing Elfsborg tomorrow in the Intertoto. Elfborg have already started their season playing 12 games (only losing 1), we've yet to even play a practice game.

We'll probably get knocked out
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:25 pm

As expected we lost 2-0

Didn't see the game but looking at the hibs forum seems as if we're just not good enough. The same players who weren't good enough last season, aren't good enough this season. I think by and large the team is pretty $h!t at the moment, and this is what happens when you sell all your best players every season.
Protheus

Number of posts : 1816
Supports : Futebol Clube do Porto

Post by Protheus on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:10 pm

What are you expectations on Hibs this year? How high do you think you will go in the Scotish league?

2-0 is not impossible to overcome in the Intertoto, but you will need to score soon and press for the second. It will be hard but not impossible.
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:28 pm

I think that's quite possibly the first time anyone has asked about Hibs on here Pro. Kudos to you!!! You obviously took pity Biggrin

My expectations aren't very high, and wouldn't be at all surprised if we are languishing around the bottom of the league come the end of the season. We've literally lost our entire first XI over the past 2/3 seasons, and those sold haven't been replaced with players of a similar level/standard. Hell, we even lost our manager.

I think we really used to stand out in the league and IMO (as well as most of the pundits) played the best football in the league. I don't think the same can be said anymore, and I feel the club is going backwards. The people in charge like to think we're going forward (brand new academy built, miniscule debts) etc, but really, what the fans want to see is a good and competitive Hibs side on the park who play entertaining football, and that isn't happening.

So all in all, I don't really have any expectations this season. Obviously, I hope Hibs prove me wrong, but just can't see it happening.
Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 pm

I was dissapointed when John Collins left Hibs under the reason that he had taken the club as far as he possibly could, for me that represents a challange that many other young managers would relish. He did a really good job in his time there though so hopefully he gets back in football sooner rather than later.

Hibs better shape up, they have the small matter of a game against Barcelona in sixteen days time. <Ale>
Protheus

Post by Protheus on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:59 pm

I wasnīt aware of that Laughing

But not at all, it is not about pitty. I always respect any true supporter who has no shame to show his love for his clubs be it a local club, an unknown club or like in your case a club that hasnīt known sucess in recent years.

And i like to know views from supporters all around europe and not just the big club supporters. It is a refreshing view of things , hell even my league is kinda unknown from the majority of supporters here so it is always good to share ideas and watching the game from different prespectives.

So do you think any team has the possibility to fight for honors against Rangers and Celtic? For a while i thought Hearts was improving a lot and the Dundee United was becoming more competitive but in the end the same two ended with a big gap last year. Even Hibernian was fighting pretty well in the last seasons but sudendly fall again, probably because what you said. Do you see anything changing next year?
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:37 pm

@Cesc

John Collins was certainly welcomed with open arms when his appointment was announced. He was a 'big name', and obviously had a history with the club. However, despite bringing us our first bit of silverware in a while, I don't think many Hibs fans were too upset at his resignation. Pretty much every one of his signings were cr@p, and there seemed to be a certain amount of discontent among the players as a result of his man management and training regime.

@ Pro

I don't think any team in the SPL will challenge the OF next season, or for the foreseeable future unless something radical happens. Apart from the rest of the league being unable to financially compete with the OF, most of their better players are generally snapped up by either Rangers or Celtic before too soon. This is what has happened to Hibs over the past couple of years. Almost all of our best players are now playing for either Rangers or Celtic.

Hearts were challenging a couple of years back, but for some reason they sacked their manager whilst they were top of the league, and soon after their team imploded, as the new Lithuanian owner filled the teams with Lithuanians which not only weakened the squad, but divided it. As for Hibs, the season we came third (led for a while) was when he had our 'golden crop' of youngsters come through, and we outplayed Rangers + Celtic that year, but often dropped points against the 'smaller' sides. Sadly, that generation have all moved to different clubs now, but I honestly believe that if we still had that same team today, we'd be challenging for league. ok
DS

Number of posts : 12952
Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:43 pm

By the way was Ferguson's Aberdeen last team to win the title outside of old firm ?
Thats almost two decades ago crazy if true.
The Bulk

Number of posts : 1961

Post by The Bulk on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:03 pm

DS wrote:By the way was Ferguson's Aberdeen last team to win the title outside of old firm ?

Yep. The last team to win the Scottish Premier League outside of Celtic and Rangers is Aberdeen.

They won the competition in 1985. Celtic and Rangers have monopolised the league. There is no real competition for them.

A couple of teams have given Rangers and Celtic a challenge: Motherwell in 1995, and Aberdeen in 1990 (or 1991).

But, yeah, two decades of dominance by two teams from the same city shows how poor the Scottish Premier League is.

Edit - The league is so uncompetitive that, when Dick Advocaat was in charge, Rangers once won the league by a 21 point margin over 2nd placed Celtic. No
Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
Supports : FC Den Haag!
Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:11 pm

THe old firm must enter the EPL.... I am sure that one of both clubs win also that league within five years!

WG
Murray

Post by Murray on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:52 pm

DS wrote:By the way was Ferguson's Aberdeen last team to win the title outside of old firm ?

Ahhhhhhhhh, great days, such a long time ago, it's almost like another world.

Sheep

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Celtic win 1-0 courtesy of a dodgy penalty decision and a penalty that just about crept in. Poor game really.
Murray

Post by Murray on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Celtic win 1-0 courtesy of a dodgy penalty decision and a penalty that just about crept in. Poor game really.

Well it didn't take long for referees to start helping the old firm. Some things never change.
Protheus

Post by Protheus on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:12 pm

Congratz on the Hibs wins against Celtic, Qualidad <Ale>
DS

Post by DS on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

I thought Hibs played well , 2nd goal was a beautiful counter attack.
Its Steven Fletcher upfront for Hibs ? looks a decent player strong and can play.
Cesc Soler

Post by Cesc Soler on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Celtic midfielder Aiden McGeady has been fined two weeks' wages and suspended for the next two games for a breach of club discipline.

McGeady was reported to have clashed with manager Gordon Strachan following the 1-1 draw with Hearts on Saturday.

Celtic said in a statement: "Gordon's decision has the full support of the Celtic board of directors."

McGeady's agent David Holbrook said he was disappointed and told BBC Sport that the 22-year-old would appeal.

Reports claim that relations between the pair are at an all-time low after an argument in the dressing-room following Saturday's draw with Hearts.

Holbrook said: "I can confirm that Aiden has been fined by the club and suspended. He's shocked, disappointed and I can say he will be appealing.

"He feels that the action is completely unjustified."
He would make a great January signing or a number of clubs. ok Ale
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 am

Depends what the "breach of discipline" is...

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Celtic won 0-1 at Ibrox. Awful game, with barely any quality on show, and as always when these two teams play it's a bit of a shame that they both can't lose. Celtic are big favourites for the title now.
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:23 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Celtic won 0-1 at Ibrox. Awful game, with barely any quality on show, and as always when these two teams play it's a bit of a shame that they both can't lose. Celtic are big favourites for the title now.

How awful was Lafferty when he came on ? affraid

Shit game.
DS

Post by DS on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:26 pm

MacDonald finish was good but poor defending by Broadfoot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:48 am