West Ham United 2010/2011

Football Genius

Number of posts : 7743
Supports : Liverpool
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: West Ham United 2010/2011

Post by Football Genius on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Its an interesting appointment, hes was obviously a clever footballer, and can potentially transfer that into management, the issue i have is.... managers ultimately have the final say, bottom line... which is why usually captains are touted as potential managers, as they have natural leadership qualities... being like 2ft 3" i can see players trying to dominate Zola in confrontational situations, the only way i believe he can achieve is to take a Keegan approach, and become an excellent man manager and motivational expert...

I wish him all the best, but you do get the impression he could be too 'soft' to get a midtable team is disarray to grind out results and work hard...

Hope i'm proved wrong, think hes a top bloke Ale
Deano

Number of posts : 22042
Supports : West Ham United

Post by Deano on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:04 am

Zola has vowed to play attractive, attacking football. He isn't going to try and grind out results. We aren't in disarray either...2 wins from 3, including a hammering of Blackburn, would say otherwise...
Chocolate Thunder

Number of posts : 15804
Supports : Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool
Registration date : 2007-01-06

Post by Chocolate Thunder on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Zola makes timely return to Prem

TEAMtalk explains why new West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola could not have timed his return to the Premier League any better.

Just when the national game was once again being accused of selling out to an ever-growing army of foreign billionaires, who better to reclaim the back pages than the man who epitomised the true heart of his sport more than almost anybody else.

From November 1996, when the elusive Italian signed for Chelsea for what seems now to be a ridiculously small 4.5million fee, to his last game on the final day of the 2003 season, the Premier League feasted on his talent. Now West Ham have the opportunity to see whether he can transfer his flair to management.

Arguably no other foreign player since has made such an enormous impact. Not even Cristiano Ronaldo has been able to ally the astonishing skill with the sheer joy of playing which made watching Zola such a mighty thrill.

He headed home to Italy having been voted into Chelsea's Centenary team, the man almost unanimously credited with having kick-started his club's re-emergence under first Gullit, then Gianluca Vialli and Claudio Ranieri.

He was described by the British Embassy, no less, as "the most enduring and popular foreign player in the history of Chelsea Football Club", when he was awarded an honourary OBE in 2004.

Higher praise came from the notoriously grudging Sir Alex Ferguson, who described Zola as "a clever little so-and-so", and from Ranieri, who was hardly hyperbolic when he called him an "irreplaceable genius".

Even Zola's exit had an air of quiet dignity. Despite swirling rumours of the impending takeover by Roman Abramovich, Zola kept a long personal promise to return to his native Sardinia, to end his playing career with Cagliari.

Two years ago, Zola began his managerial career as Pierluigi Casiraghi's assistant with the Italy Under-21 side, but it was never going to take long for a big club steeped in the memories of his playing greatness to take a chance on it rubbing off in the dugout.

From the start of his career, Zola was always around the very best.

He joined Napoli in 1989 and spent a year as understudy to Diego Maradona, with whom he would practise free-kicks for hours after training.

"I learnt everything from Diego," Zola admitted later. "After one year I had completely changed. I saw him do things in training and matches I had never even dreamed possible.

"He was simply the best I've ever seen. I'm not saying I wouldn't have been a good player if I had not played with him at that stage of my career, but I do know I wouldn't be the player I am now."

In 1993, Zola moved on to Parma, then rapidly emerging as a new Serie A giant, but his creative flair did not go down well with boss Carlo Ancelotti, and he was ultimately made available for transfer three years later.

"You don't get an opportunity like this every day and when I heard he might be available I knew I wanted him," said a delighted Gullit. "If Parma didn't want his quality, I knew I wanted to have it."

A typically modest Zola added: "They say it (the Premier League) is hard and strong but the football is good. Perhaps there will be some problems adapting at the start but I think I can overcome them."

And how. Zola's seven years at Stamford Bridge proved an unremitting success.

Even opposition fans, conditioned to dislike everything about the emerging west London club, were effusive in their praise.

Zola would score 89 goals in his 249 appearances, but the simple statistics do not do justice to the outrageous skills which lit up so many venues, and the genuine smiles of joy that accompanied them.

He grabbed goals like the brilliant backheeling effort against Norwich which defied convention.

Zola helped sweep Chelsea to silverware both at home and on the continent. He came on as a substitute and immediately scored the winning goal in the 1998 European Cup Winners' Cup final against Stuttgart.

Even in a final season when he became increasingly sidelined by the emerging talent at Stamford Bridge, Zola scored 16 goals, ending his Chelsea career with another typically magnificent solo performance against Liverpool at Anfield.

Now Zola is back and relishing his newest challenge. By pitching up this time on the east side of the capital, he knows full well he has risked breaching the domestic game's traditional boundaries.

As a player, Zola won the hearts of so many supporters irrespective of the colour of their scarves. As a manager, he may find it a little harder. But every English football fan should simply give thanks that we have finally got him back.

briz

Number of posts : 263
Supports : sheffield united
Registration date : 2007-08-30

Post by briz on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:01 am

Steve Clarke leaves Chelsea to become assistant to Zola.
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:03 am

Steve Clarke to be the assistant manager, he's resigned from Chelsea.

And West Ham's sponsors have gone bust:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7611752.stm

Zack

Number of posts : 1571
Supports : Tottenham Hotspur
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by Zack on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:04 am

If Steve Clarke is the new assistant for West Ham, I think its a exellent appointment, no doubt whatsoever. Plus theres a understanding between Zola and Clarke and I rate Clarke very highly....

Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
Supports : West Ham
Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:22 am

Coach Clarke wants out at Chelsea
Steve Clarke
Clarke and Zola know each other from their days at Chelsea

Steve Clarke has handed in his resignation as Chelsea assistant first-team coach, with West Ham having made an approach to take him to Upton Park.

The Hammers appointed Gianfranco Zola as manager on Thursday and appear to want Clarke to be his number two.

But a Chelsea statement said: "Chelsea can confirm that West Ham have made an approach with regards to talking to Steve Clarke.

"They have not been given permission to talk to him."

Chelsea added: "Steve Clarke has tendered his resignation as assistant first-team coach. We have not accepted his resignation. Talks are continuing."

More soon.
monty

Number of posts : 288
Supports : Kilmarnock, Chelsea and Kaiserslautern
Favourite Player : Michael Ballack
Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by monty on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:43 am

blow for chelsea
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:04 pm

Are West Ham the new Chelsea?
Deano

Post by Deano on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:38 pm

f@ck off Coops!

It would be a good appointment, due to Zola's inexperience. I have every faith in him to become a great manager...and he should do well under the guidance of Clarke.
DS

Number of posts : 12952
Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:15 pm

I think Scolari accepted the resignation.

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
Supports : Palestine
Favourite Player : Hlder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 pm

YO DEANO!

what's the word on the street?

Will Zola be given money to spend or will the club continue to sell players from under him until he's forced to come out of retirement?
Deano

Post by Deano on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Fortunately...not having George Gillet and Tom Hicks in charge we should be ok. I can't see us protesting and making up songs about our owners just yet. We shall see in January...though the demise of XL, with them going into administration, seriously doesn't help...
SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Good appointment Zola, Congrats ok

sorry to hear about your sponsor, don't think it will harm that much he's got money elsewhere too isn't? Think you should give some kind of job to his son,

Bjorgolfur Thor Bjorgolfsson

beautiful name
Deano

Post by Deano on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:05 pm

DIC are apparently trying to buy us out if they fail to get Liverpool...apparently the lure of London is tempting for them, and that they think they'll get the club relatively cheap, due to Gudmundsson's money troubles (He is a big financial backer for XL).

Can't say I'd mind it...

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Doh Doh Deano twists ankle in Zola's first practice, out 4-6 weeks
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:52 pm

GianDeano Zola wrote:DIC are apparently trying to buy us out if they fail to get Liverpool...apparently the lure of London is tempting for them, and that they think they'll get the club relatively cheap, due to Gudmundsson's money troubles (He is a big financial backer for XL).

Can't say I'd mind it...

ok

Deano doesnt mind a bit of DIC
The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
Supports : Cambridge
Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Di Caniooooo! wrote:Doh Doh Deano twists ankle in Zola's first practice, out 4-6 weeks

Injury prone Ale

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:36 am

The Easter Bunny wrote:
Di Caniooooo! wrote:Doh Doh Deano twists ankle in Zola's first practice, out 4-6 weeks

Injury prone Ale
our entire suqad Ale

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Footballer in drink-drive probe
Carlton Cole
Mr Cole must answer bail at a central London police station in November

Footballer Carlton Cole was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving in central London, it has emerged.

The 24-year-old West Ham striker was stopped by police while driving on Victoria Embankment near the Thames at 0425 BST on Tuesday.

He was given a roadside breath test and taken to a nearby police station where he was later bailed, police said.

Mr Cole did not play during the club's tie against Watford on Tuesday evening because of a foot injury.

He must answer bail at a central London police station in November. Doh Doh Doh

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 am

West Ham rocked by Ashton injury
Dean Ashton
Aston broke his ankle in 2006

West Ham striker Dean Ashton could miss the next month of the season after suffering an ankle injury.

Ashton, 24, is to undergo exploratory surgery to assess the extent of the injury he picked up in training with the Hammers last week.

Ashton will go under the knife next week and could be out until the end of October, ruling him out of two World Cup qualifiers and five league games.

He has been plagued by injuries since breaking his ankle in August 2006.

The surgery means the West Ham forward will be unavailable for England's World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Belarus in October.

606: DEBATE
How big a blow is Ashton's injury to West Ham?
"Dean Ashton will undergo arthroscopic surgery to his left ankle next week," said a West Ham statement.

The former Crewe striker has already sat out West Ham's last two games, the first two under new manager Gianfranco Zola.

Ashton signed a new five-year deal with West Ham in June shortly after winning his first England cap in the friendly against Trinidad & Tobago.

Ashton, who scored 11 goals last season, joined West Ham from Norwich for 7.25m in January 2006 and helped the club to the FA Cup final, where they lost on penalties to Liverpool.

His performances that season earned him an England call-up for the friendly with Greece in August 2006.

But he broke his ankle in training for that game and missed the whole of the 2006-07 season, and also suffered injuries in the 2007-08 campaign.
Crying or Very sad
The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
Supports : Cambridge
Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Great player but injury prone Whistle

West Ham striker Dean Ashton will not play again until next year after undergoing surgery on an injured ankle.

The Hammers say they cannot put a firm date on when the 24-year-old might return to their attack.

Manager Gianfranco Zola said: "The main thing is the operation went well. Now we need to wait a little bit to see how long it will take.

"As far as I know there were a few particles that needed to be removed but the main thing is it went OK."

West Ham are short of options up front and are weighing up whether to sign out-of-contract Spanish striker Diego Tristan.

Former Deportivo La Coruna and Mallorca forward Tristan, 32, has been capped 15 times by his country but has struggled in recent seasons.

Ashton picked up the latest injury in training in September and it was originally thought he would be sidelined for four to six weeks.

Since breaking his ankle in August 2006, he has been plagued by injuries.
He signed a new five-year deal with West Ham in June shortly after winning his first England cap in the friendly against Trinidad & Tobago.

Ashton, who scored 11 goals last season, joined West Ham from Norwich for 7.25m in January 2006 and helped the club to the FA Cup final, where they lost on penalties to Liverpool.

His performances that season earned him an England call-up for the friendly with Greece in August 2006.

But he broke his ankle in training for that game and missed the whole of the 2006-07 season, and also suffered injuries in the 2007-08 campaign.
Z

Number of posts : 1414
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Fowler, Batistuta, Ronaldo, Totti, Torres
Registration date : 2007-05-13

Post by Z on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Skillful player who didn't fulfill his talent. Pierre probably likes him. Ale

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Z wrote:

Skillful player who didn't fulfill his talent. Pierre probably likes him. Ale
Have to admit, one hell of a goal, just hope he's not to selfish of a player, I always avoid those players in FM Laughing

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:05 am

West Ham have signed veteran striker Diego Tristan on a free transfer following a two-week trial.
The 32-year-old former Spain international was a free agent after being
released by Italian side Livorno at the end of last season.
Tristan becomes new manager Gianfranco Zola's first signing since taking charge in September.
"Zola has helped me a lot and I want to say thanks by scoring lots of goals and doing well for the club," he said.

"I am very grateful to the manager for giving me the opportunity to play here.
"I have been really impressed from the moment I arrived at the
training ground. The coaching staff and the players have all helped me
to settle in.

606: DEBATE

What do you think of West Ham's new signing?

"I had a lot of offers to go to other countries and play for a lot of
money but I feel that I still have lots to offer and I want to show
West Ham fans that I can still play at the highest level. That is why I
am here."
Tristan, who won 15 caps for Spain between 2001 and 2004, also
played for Deportivo La Coruna and Real Mallorca and could make his
Hammers debut away to Hull City on Sunday.
DS

Number of posts : 12952
Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:34 am

He was woeful last year , lets see how he does here.

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Oh this can't be good for our owners

REYKJAVIK - Thousands of Icelanders demonstrated in Reykjavik on Saturday demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Geir Haarde and Central Bank Governor David Oddsson for failing to stop a financial meltdown in the country.

It was the latest in a series of protests in the capital since the financial meltdown that crippled the island's economy.

Hordur Torfason, a well-known troubadour in Iceland and the main organiser of the protests, said the protests would continue until the government stepped down.

"They don't have our trust and they are no longer legitimate," Torfason said as the crowds gathered in the drizzle before the Althing, the Icelandic parliament.

A separate group of 200-300 people gathered in front of the city's main police station demanding the release of a young protester being held there, Icelandic media reported.

Police in riot gear used pepper spray to drive back an attempt to free the protester during which several windows at the police station were shattered. The protester was later released after a fine he had been sentenced to pay was paid.

Iceland's three biggest banks -- Kaupthing, Landsbanki and Glitnir -- collapsed under the weight of billions of dollars of debts accumulated in an aggressive overseas expansion, shattering the currency and forcing Iceland to seek aid from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

This week, the North Atlantic island nation of 320,000 secured a package of more than $10 billion in loans from the IMF and several European countries to help it rebuild its shattered financial system.

Despite the loans, Iceland faces a sharp economic contraction and surging unemployment while many Icelanders also risk losing their homes and life savings.

A young man climbed onto the balcony of the Althing building, where the president appears upon inauguration and on Iceland's national day, and hung a banner reading: "Iceland for Sale - $2.100.000.000", the amount of the loan Iceland is getting from the IMF.

The rally lasted less than one hour and as daylight began to wane, demonstrators drifted away into the nearby coffee shops where the price of a cup of coffee has shot up to 300 kronas in the last few weeks, up by about one third from before the crisis struck, as the currency has tumbled.

Opposition parties tabled a no-confidence motion in the government on Friday over its handling of the crisis, but the motion carries little chance of toppling the ruling coalition which has a solid parliamentary majority.

"I've just had enough of this whole thing," said Gudrun Jonsdottir, a 36-year-old office worker.

"I don't trust the government, I don't trust the banks, I don't trust the political parties, and I don't trust the IMF. We had a good country here and they've ruined it."
Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
Supports : Arsenal FC

Post by Cesc Soler on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:15 pm

West Ham United announce SBOBET sponsor deal

West Ham United announced a shirt-sponsorship agreement with SBOBET until the end of the 09/10 season that will also mean increased exposure for the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK.

The partnership with the online sports bookmakers will see the SBOBET logo worn by the first team - replacing the squad numbers used since 20 September - and it will also be featured on all adult replica strips. The new-look kit will be seen for the first time when West Ham United play Tottenham Hotspur at the Boleyn Ground on Monday 8 December.

The lucrative deal - the terms of which are undisclosed - concludes a detailed bidding process over the past ten weeks that saw the club meet with several interested parties and hold extensive negotiations.

Bill Mummery, Isle of Man Executive Director for SBOBET, said: "We are delighted to join West Ham United as Principal Sponsor in launching our UK and European operations. Our key strength is in football - offering value, content and service to a global audience and we are delighted to be given the opportunity of working with such a prestigious club.

"We see great value in the sponsorship and strongly believe that this partnership will provide both parties with unique opportunities to explore new and exciting ways of working together. We are very impressed with the professionalism of West Ham United, their strong relationship with the fans, local community and of course the work of the Bobby Moore Fund and look forward to supporting West Ham United with all of these groups."

West Ham United CEO Scott Duxbury said: "This is a great deal for West Ham United and I am looking forward to a successful partnership with SBOBET. Finding a new shirt sponsor usually takes up to six months but a lot of effort and hard work has gone into this process. I would also like to thank the fans for their understanding and patience during this time."

SBOBET was also an attractive option for West Ham United because of the understanding shown towards the club's long-standing commitment to the Bobby Moore Fund, which reached a new level last summer with the signing of a formal three-year partnership.

The Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK logo is to be carried on all kit worn by the club's academy sides as well as on child replica strips. whufc.com will have full details as soon as possible of how supporters with 2008/09 season home and away shirts will be able to update them free of charge.

debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:23 pm

it's not the best logo for readability

reminds of the Villa one a couple of years ago which just looked like it said COWS..not even sure what the company did...
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:49 pm

"Without being derogatory, West Ham are a second-rate club"

So says Ilunga..what do you make of those Braeburns?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 am