West Ham United 2010/2011

Deano

Number of posts : 22042
Supports : West Ham United
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: West Ham United 2010/2011

Post by Deano on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:02 am

We don't have financial problems...Laughing. They just wouldn't give money for Curbishley to spend...the next manager will get a hefty transfer budget...I can assure you that.

Mancini is now the favourite...
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:57 am

scratch

You were telling us the owner was losing money on his main business and was thus trying to recoup it from West Ham? So why would a new manager suddenly be given a large amount of money to spend?

Or is it an admission that Curbishley really was shite in the transfer market and the board were right in taking control away from him?
DS

Number of posts : 12952
Supports : Manchester United , Bayern Munich

Post by DS on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:57 am

Wasnt Gianluca Nani sp? responsible for transfers ?
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:23 am

DS wrote:Wasnt Gianluca Nani sp? responsible for transfers ?

IIRC he came in after the likes of Faubert, Dyer, Bellamy, Ljungberg, etc. were bought

Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
Supports : West Ham
Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:05 am

Hammers bring in Uruguayan Lopez
West Ham United

Managerless West Ham United have confirmed the signing of Uruguayan left-back Walter Lopez.

Lopez, 22, who has three caps for his national side, joined on a free transfer having decided to leave old club River Plate during the summer.

"Walter is a very attacking full-back who can get forward," caretaker manager Kevin Keen told the club's website.

Lopez said he watched the Premier League "all the time" and was "very happy (to) get to play for West Ham".

He is West Ham's fourth signing of the summer, joining Valon Behrami, Balint Bajner and loanee Jan Lastuvka.

Free agent status means he was able to join the club outside the transfer window, two days after Alan Curbishley resigned as West Ham boss.

606: DEBATE
It seems like we are going the same way as everyone else by buying foreign players who most people have never heard of, rather than developing home grown talent

hammered63
"I am really happy to be here and I hope to have a good career," Lopez added on the club's official website.

"Upton Park is a beautiful stadium and it will be great to play for West Ham. I am looking forward to it.

"It is a great club and there are some great players at the club. I know about many of them like Lucas Neill and Craig Bellamy. Everyone here has made me feel very welcome."
The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
Supports : Cambridge
Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Sears was in-effective against Cambridge, needs to go out on loan to a Championship side or a low level prem team, to gain some maturity however with West Ham striker crisis he will be thrust into the team at a young age, it will be interesting to see how he deals with the pressure and how the new manager/club treat him.
Deano

Post by Deano on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:15 pm

What West Ham striker crisis?

Ashton, Bellamy, Cole, Di Michele...
Deano

Post by Deano on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:19 pm

Right...basically it's Bilic or Donadoni...

Slaven Bilic is the number one choice...and if he says he'll take it after the England, Croatia game...it's his.

If he says no...

Roberto Donadoni will be given the job...he's clearly the 2nd favourite, and a popular choice...

Gianfranco Zola and Michale Laufrup have been interviewed/to be interviewed...but are 3rd and 4th choice respectively...

I can't say I'll be disappointed if we get Bilic or Donadoni. Bilic is my first choice though...
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:27 pm

Who is Michale Laufrup
Deano

Post by Deano on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Rosicky wrote:Who is Michale Laufrup

Wow...you can identify typing mistakes...get out of the thread if you don't have anything interesting to say you big chinned wanker. I'll delete anything that isn't of relevance to the thread itself...
TM

Number of posts : 21218
Supports : PROGRESS!
Favourite Player : Luis Figo
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:31 pm

lol!
The Easter Bunny

Post by The Easter Bunny on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:53 pm

Valon Deano Behrami wrote:What West Ham striker crisis?

Ashton, Bellamy, Cole, Di Michele...

Bellamy is injury prone( only played 9 odd games for West Ham so far ), Ashton is a very lazy player, and has suffered quite a few injurys in the past 2 odd years, it will be interesting to see if he can last a whole season without getting a serious, 4 month injury.
Cole is a great runner, he proved that last season, his technique is lacking, but he can be an effective target man.
Can't comment on Di Michele as I have never seen him play.
EMP

Number of posts : 7384
Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:13 pm

Hasn't Bilic already said that he is not leaving the Croatia job until after the World Cup? Sure I heard that yesterday.
The Easter Bunny

Post by The Easter Bunny on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:18 pm

EMP wrote:Hasn't Bilic already said that he is not leaving the Croatia job until after the World Cup? Sure I heard that yesterday.

He has said that on numerous occasions, however he can also do a Hiddink and become a national manager and Club manager.
lrdsucksgoats

Number of posts : 9523
Supports : Decentralisation of the state
Favourite Player : The lesser spotted Ronaldo
Registration date : 2007-02-25

Post by lrdsucksgoats on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 am

Valon Deano Behrami wrote:

Wow...you can identify typing mistakes...get out of the thread if you don't have anything interesting to say you big chinned wanker. I'll delete anything that isn't of relevance to the thread itself...

Good old one sided modding, abusing power to protect the public image of a favoured club.

S'not like this is what ruins the forum for the rest of us.
Deano

Post by Deano on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:51 am

Bring back the sigs! wrote:
Valon Deano Behrami wrote:

Good old one sided modding, abusing power to protect the public image of a favoured club.

S'not like this is what ruins the forum for the rest of us.

Erm...actually, keeping a thread on topic, because trouble making posters like Rosicky don't ruin football discussions...

Typical...you want to slag off modding, when I was right to try and keep a topic ON TOPIC.

I never had anything to do with the removal of sigs...I used to make the things FFS...if you want to carry on whinging and maning about it...I suggest you do it to someone else...or at least pick up on a bit of modding which is totally one sided or unfair.
Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Valon Deano Behrami wrote:Right...basically it's Bilic or Donadoni...

Slaven Bilic is the number one choice...and if he says he'll take it after the England, Croatia game...it's his.

If he says no...

Roberto Donadoni will be given the job...he's clearly the 2nd favourite, and a popular choice...

Gianfranco Zola and Michale Laufrup have been interviewed/to be interviewed...but are 3rd and 4th choice respectively...

I can't say I'll be disappointed if we get Bilic or Donadoni. Bilic is my first choice though...

I wouldn't be so keen on Donadoni personally. does he have much experience?

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:32 am

Zola favourite for West Ham post
Gianfanco Zola
Zola spent nearly seven years as a player at Chelsea

Gianfranco Zola has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next West Ham manager, BBC Sport understands.

Former Italy boss Roberto Donadoni also impressed West Ham's board during his interview, but Zola's Premier League experience has given him the edge.

The former Chelsea star is assistant coach of Italy's Under-21s and West Ham will hold further talks with Zola and the Italian Football Association.

Zola, 42, could be unveiled at a Thursday news conference.

He will be involved with Italy's Under-21 team for their match against their Croatia counterparts on Tuesday.

Croatia boss Slaven Bilic was one of the leading contenders but he has been ruled out the running by the Upton Park outfit.

What do you think of the Upton Park contenders?
Bilic is believed to have wanted to combine managing West Ham and his country's national team until the end of the year.

The Hammers hierarchy met on Monday to discuss the prospective candidates for the post and although Zola was deemed the leading figure, Donadoni was not far behind.

Donadoni was manager of the Italian national team before leaving the post after their quarter-final exit to Spain at Euro 2008.

But he has no experience of the English top flight and Zola's stint of almost seven years as a player at Chelsea is believed to have worked in his favour.

Michael Laudrup was also in the frame to succeed Alan Curbishley, who resigned on 3 September, but he has agreed to take over at Spartak Moscow.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:49 am

Dude, I hear you got Zola?!

Donadoni would probably have been better. Zola has zero managerial experience, apart from assisting Casiraghi with the U21s. But he does have a great personality, and if can extend that to the team he manages, he won't do too badly. Always had a soft corner for the little magician.

Best of luck, dude, I will be watching Hammers progress very keenly to see how Zola develops. One of my old favourites as a player (so were Donadoni and Mancini).

If he says no...

christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:49 am

Still surprised you're going to end up with a manager who has no experience..I mean, thats what we do. West Ham are surely capable of getting in someone who's been doing it for years.

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
Supports : Palestine
Favourite Player : Hlder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:14 pm

what is West Ham's obsession with signing ageing injury prone wingers? Rolling Eyes
Deano

Post by Deano on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:12 pm

bluenine wrote:Dude, I hear you got Zola?!

Donadoni would probably have been better. Zola has zero managerial experience, apart from assisting Casiraghi with the U21s. But he does have a great personality, and if can extend that to the team he manages, he won't do too badly. Always had a soft corner for the little magician.

Best of luck, dude, I will be watching Hammers progress very keenly to see how Zola develops. One of my old favourites as a player (so were Donadoni and Mancini).

If he says no...

Yeah...looks that way. Poor decision IMO, and I'm nto happy at all.

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:45 am

Zola set for Hammers job, Donadoni pulls out

By Soccernet staff

Updated: September 9, 2008, 11:19 AM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Gianfranco Zola is expected to be named West Ham boss on Thursday after the club's directors made him the favourite to take over from Alan Curbishley, who resigned last week.

NewPress/GettyImages

Gianfranco Zola: One of the favourites for the job.

West Ham hope they will unveil their first foreign manager at a news conference on Thursday, but may face a slight delay as the former Chelsea midfielder is joint coach of the Italy under-21 side and they are in action in Croatia on Tuesday night.

The club have also been in talks with fellow Italian Roberto Donadoni, but reports suggest that he is dismayed at the Hammers' handling of the recruitment process and has ruled himself out of the job.

The ex-Italy boss, who was sacked from his post with the Azzurri after a disappointing showing at Euro 2008, is unhappy that the Premier League club appear to favour Zola - Donadoni's former junior in the Italy set up - for the role.

Donadoni said in a statement: ''I would like to thank West Ham United Football Club for approaching and speaking with me in relation to the vacant manager's position at the club.

''I welcomed the opportunity of speaking with such a prominent Premiership club and of course, the opportunity of coming to the English Premiership.

''However, is does appear that the board have not yet, after some time, come to an agreement and a conclusion on who the successful candidate should be.

''It is important for me to feel that I have the full support of the club and I have therefore this morning taken the decision to withdraw myself from the candidate shortlist for the club.''

Donadoni has more managerial experience than Zola but he does not have the 42-year-old's long association with English football and another on the Hammers' radar to take himself out of the running is Croatian coach Slaven Bilic.

Bilic's hopes of succeeding Alan Curbishley floundered on the complications surrounding his release from his current job as coach of Croatia, though he was never top of West Ham's wish list.

The Hammers' chief executive Scott Duxbury and technical director Gianluca Nani have led the selection process and the pair provided a detailed report to a meeting of the club's board.

They outlined the merits of as many as 30 names who were initially considered and then the reasons why they were whittled down to a shortlist of six.

With Zola and Donadoni heading the list, it now appears Zola will take the job, especially as Michael Laudrup, the Danish former coach of Spanish side Getafe, was due to have an interview but was ruled out after it emerged he was set to accept an offer from Spartak Moscow.

Kia Joorabchian, who works as an advisor to West Ham, said both Zola and Donadoni had impressed.

He told Sky Sports News: ''Zola has a lot of experience in the Premier League, he was admired by every fan in the league irrespective of which club they supported.

''He has built a big reputation for himself in Italy. He hasn't Premier League experience as a manager but he understands the Premier League very much.

''They are moving fast. They would like to appoint a new manager before the weekend but it is a process they will consider carefully.

''It is a different system, a more European system of working and it will be a manager who will be working under that style in order to minimise and avoid errors which have occurred in the past.''
Deano

Post by Deano on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:41 am

Just be optimistic and behind him...fully give him our support, and hope he plays the attractive, attacking football he says he'll play...
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Supports : Chelsea

Post by S4P on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:45 am

Well it's gonna be great to see Zola in the Prem again, but I can't see him being a success at Wham. Think he needed to start off in a lower league like Ince, Keane and Wise.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:32 am

Valon Deano Behrami wrote:Just be optimistic and behind him...fully give him our support, and hope he plays the attractive, attacking football he says he'll play...

Thats always the best approach... I hope WH realise that Zola will be at least a 3 year project, you cannot expect any wonders from him in this first season.

You guys should have gotten Mancio. He may not be the best tactician around, but he has a good take on modern football and knows how to win. His teams are characterised by a never say die spirit. He understands EPL, speaks english, his tactics are suited for EPL, and he has great experience. And he won 9 trophies with 3 different clubs in his 7 seasons as a coach. In fact, Newcastle could do worse than sign this dude.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:57 pm

S4P - 13 wrote:Well it's gonna be great to see Zola in the Prem again, but I can't see him being a success at Wham. Think he needed to start off in a lower league like Ince, Keane and Wise.

ok

They cant all be born to start at the top like Gareth.
Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:26 pm

Does Zola have the mental toughness to be a manager? He'll probably be a Sven style manager. He's not the type to raise his voice and lose his temper.

Any idea what type of style he's a fan of? Being a support forward you'd imagine he'd like to see his sides play creative and attacking football.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Tweedle wrote:Does Zola have the mental toughness to be a manager? He'll probably be a Sven style manager. He's not the type to raise his voice and lose his temper.

Any idea what type of style he's a fan of? Being a support forward you'd imagine he'd like to see his sides play creative and attacking football.

On the other hand..he is Italian.

Di Caniooooo!

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:47 pm

Zola agrees to take West Ham job
By Simon Austin

Gianfranco Zola
Zola spent nearly seven years as a player at Chelsea

West Ham have agreed a three-year deal with Gianfranco Zola for the Italian to become the club's new manager.

The former Chelsea striker, 42, held talks with the Hammers last week about succeeding Alan Curbishley, along with Roberto Donadoni and John Collins.

But, as revealed by BBC Sport, West Ham opted for Zola over the former Italy coach and ex-Hibernian boss, and he should be unveiled before the weekend.

"Gianfranco was our first choice," a senior club source told BBC Sport.

"We were very comfortable with the three options we had - Zola, Donadoni and Collins - but Gianfranco came out on top."

It seems like Zola is favourite to become our next manager, and I am concerned by the amount of negative comments

russthe42iron
West Ham interviewed the current Italy under-21 coach last week, while chief executive Scott Duxbury then travelled to Rome to talk to him on Sunday.

The 42-year-old is currently preparing Italy to face Croatia on Tuesday in their final qualifier for the European Under-21 Championship, which they need to win or draw to qualify for the tournament in Sweden.

West Ham believe the Italian, who played for Chelsea from 1996 to 2003, has the attributes to be a big success at Upton Park.

"It's true that he has no experience of managing a club side, but he knows the Premier League very well," the source added.

Zola interview on Inside Sport - April 2008

"His English is very good and he can talk about football with English players and inspire them.

"He has a record of developing young footballers, which is very important to us, and was obviously a world-class player.

"Experienced players like to have a manager they can respect as a footballer."

And Chelsea and England captain John Terry suggested Zola would one day go on to manager the Blues.

"I'm sure one day he'll be back at Chelsea working with us," said Terry, speaking in Zagreb, ahead of England's World Cup qualifier against Croatia.

"He's got a little bit more experience after managing Italy's Under-21 side so it'd be great for him to get more experience at West Ham and hopefully one day be Chelsea manager."

The Hammers have moved impressively quickly to recruit a manager since Curbishley resigned last Wednesday.

They had been eager to interview Croatia coach Slaven Bilic, but discounted the former West Ham defender because he wanted to continue coaching his country part-time until the end of the year.

And Getafe boss Michael Laudrup joined Spartak Moscow before the Hammers were able to speak to him.

It is important for me to feel that I have the full support of the club

Roberto Donadoni
Collins, who has managed Hibernian, also impressed in interviews, while former Italy boss Donadoni had been among the front runners before withdrawing his application on Tuesday.

"I would like to thank West Ham for approaching and speaking with me," said Donadoni.

"I welcomed the opportunity of speaking with such a prominent Premier League club and of course, the opportunity of coming to the English Premier League.

"However, it does appear that the board have not yet, after some time, come to an agreement and a conclusion on who the successful candidate should be.

"It is important for me to feel that I have the full support of the club and I have therefore taken the decision to withdraw myself from the candidate shortlist for the club."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:36 pm