Robert Enke is dead

Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Robert Enke is dead

Post by Isco Benny on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:22 pm

Effenberg wrote:I have suffered from depression myself and I know there is no snapping out of it. People who haven't experienced that kind of emptiness and feel like joking about or judging the person would be well-advised to remain quiet.

Agreed.

It's often heard that depressed people are somehow "weak" or "selfish",

but without coming across all morally righteous - Winston Churchill is an example of someone who suffered depression. Yes, he didn't kill himself, but hardly a weak, selfish person. He didn't have his young child die, so perhaps never got sent over the edge like Enke. It can happen to anyone, and has nothing to do with strength or public standing.

Tragic news. Very sad.
EMP

Number of posts : 7384
Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:38 pm

MadVillain™ wrote:Is it too early to make jokes?

And yes, the wife is niiiiice.

Not just you TS, but show some respect. It's the very least that Enke, his family and German posters have a right to expect. His death is no laughing matter.
Lesley

Number of posts : 886
Supports : Hamburger SV, Manchester United, Germany
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by Lesley on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:19 am

Effenberg wrote:You're a bunch of morons. Makes me wonder if it's even worth coming on here anymore.

ok

I think I might actually go to Hanover on the weekend and light a candle at the stadium, too.
Stiftung Haeschentest

Number of posts : 2314
Supports : Deutschland
Registration date : 2006-08-30

Post by Stiftung Haeschentest on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:59 am

I watched parts of his last match against Hamburg on Sky yesterday.

It's so weird to see him giving 100 percent in this match, although he might have known already that it's going to be his last.

Sad
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:18 am

Yes.

As wise men had said, Comedy is tragedy plus time. Give it a bit more time.
SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:40 am

Wouldn't have made the joke myself, but I'm honest (had to laugh about it).

Just to be sure. when I said 'impressive' it was about how she coped with the situation & how she handled it.
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:19 pm

Effenberg wrote:

And yes, the wife is niiiiice.
You're a bunch of morons. Makes me wonder if it's even worth coming on here anymore.

anglophileHedgehog wrote:
It's barely been 24 hours since the news broke, what do you think?

I didn't expect much from this message board, but you still manage to surprise me with some of the comments. To quote a German comedian: "If you don't know anything about a subject or don't have anything to say, shut the fuck up."

EMP wrote:Not just you TS, but show some respect. It's the very least that Enke, his family and German posters have a right to expect. His death is no laughing matter.

I paid my respects on the 1st (Tuesday) night. <Ale>

----------------------------------------------------

Laudable Laudrup wrote:Yes.

As wise men had said, Comedy is tragedy plus time. Give it a bit more time.

Ale

Apologies all Jarmans. Dove
TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 pm

"We thought we could do everything and we could do it with love but you can't always do it."
- Theresa Enke

Saddest words I heard in a long time.
Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:35 am

My sentiments exactly, see what I posted on the Mannschaft thread.
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Seen some photo of his daughters grave today. Or so it said.

Apparently written on the grave it said "Daddy's coming" ?

Is he meant to have written that himself just before hand or something?
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:04 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:My sentiments exactly, see what I posted on the Mannschaft thread.

Takes me back to the time a friend of mine died - not directly by her own hand but damn near it. And in retrospect you realise that she had been very depresssed for a long time but did her best to hide it and you understand why it ended in the way it did. But you still think, this didn't have to be so.
72-76-80-96-08

Number of posts : 2258
Supports : FC Hollywood
Registration date : 2006-08-22

Post by 72-76-80-96-08 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:54 am

it seems Enke had suffered from a "fear of failure" since adolescence

his father is a psychotherapist and advised him to get proper treatment in a hostpital a few weeks ago, but Robert declined, pointing out that his career would be finished then, and football was the thing he did best/liked doing most

he was trapped in his own head, and did not allow others to help him

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,661239,00.html

50.000 to 100.000 mourners are expected to attend the public funeral this weekend

RIP, Robert
EMP

Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:46 am

I don't know about Germany's football set up, but Enke's problems are exactly what I would hope and expect the PFA to provide help for British players and I would think that there is no reason why they cannot establish and advertise a confidential helpline to organise professional help to be available whenneeded on an entirely confidential basis. It should not be too hard to organise that. All PFAs should do this, so hopefully something worthwhile can come out of the tragedy of Robertt Enke.
Stiftung Haeschentest

Number of posts : 2314
Supports : Deutschland
Registration date : 2006-08-30

Post by Stiftung Haeschentest on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:38 am

borocooper wrote:Seen some photo of his daughters grave today. Or so it said.

It's a little heart gravestone that was placed there by Lara's grandmother.

SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:04 pm

EMP wrote:I don't know about Germany's football set up, but Enke's problems are exactly what I would hope and expect the PFA to provide help for British players and I would think that there is no reason why they cannot establish and advertise a confidential helpline to organise professional help to be available whenneeded on an entirely confidential basis. It should not be too hard to organise that. All PFAs should do this, so hopefully something worthwhile can come out of the tragedy of Robertt Enke.
(This is about EMPs post, no judgement on the Enke situation)

You can have the best help set up imaginable & train everybody in your organisation to spot it (still some people are very good at hiding their misery) , still a lot of people/employees will - if they seek help - opt for finding help -if they want it - outside the organisation they work for.
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Stiftung Haeschentest wrote:
borocooper wrote:Seen some photo of his daughters grave today. Or so it said.

It's a little heart gravestone that was placed there by Lara's grandmother.

I see, cheers Ale

Thats got to be up there with the saddest things ive ever seen.
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:38 pm

A recent (unpublished?) interview with Enke.Very moving.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/confessionsofacorrespondent/archive/2009/11/11/speaking-to-robert-enke.aspx

Speaking to Robert Enke

Wednesday 11 November 2009 12:00
Andy Mitten on the late Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke, who was due to be interviewed for FourFourTwo after Wolfsburg vs Manchester United next month...

I’ve just arrived at Camp Nou for a game whose importance is reflected by the size of the crowd.

It’s 10pm and maybe 20,000 are inside the ground for a cup game against third-level Cultural Leonesa; Barça are already 2-0 up from the first leg.

I don’t have to file any copy tonight, so I was going to watch some of the emerging Barça stars closely.

Then I switch on my computer in the press box and read that the German goalkeeper Robert Enke has died.

I was going to interview Enke in Hanover on December 9, the morning after Wolfsburg vs Manchester United.

My mate, the German writer Ronald Reng, is a good friend of Enke and has spoken exceptionally well of him for years.

With United playing close by, Reng fixed it up for me to interview Enke for FourFourTwo. Only this morning, he emailed to say that he’d just spoken to Enke’s wife.

Reng recently emailed me the following piece to ask if I could read through it.

While his English is very good, writing in another language isn’t easy and he wanted me to give it the once-over.

This is a far better synopsis of Enke than anything I could write. I’ll leave it how it was sent.

------
Interview with Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke, who had to overcome unemployment and the death of his daughter to become Germany’s No.1.
By Ronald Reng

At the end of our interview, Robert Enke offers to drive me down to the commuter train station at Neustadt.

He knows the timetable by heart, as he regularly takes the local train from the small village where he lives to Hanover, even now that he is Germany’s No.1 goalkeeper. “The connections are good and fast”, he simply states.

If anyone needed any proof that Enke – who will play for Germany in the World Cup qualifier against Azerbaijan this Wednesday – is special, it would be the image of one of the country’s brightest stars sitting between the locals on a commuter train.

But of his whole life is proof that he is in many ways a unique goalkeeper.

Having captained Benfica at 23, he turned down offers from Manchester United and Roma to join FC Barcelona.

He didn't make it there and when Barça sent him to Istanbul two years later, he refused to play for Fenerbahce.

“I just felt totally out of place in Turkey with the exaggerated passion of the fans and the club," he says. "I felt absolutely lonely and deeply sad.”

Instead, he chose to be unemployed.

After half a year out of work, he was only offered a job in Spain’s Second Division, at Tenerife.

That’s the way many prosperous talents disappear – into mediocrity. But in no man’s land, Enke’s career restarted.

From Tenerife he worked his way up again. At Hanover, forever a midtable Bundesliga club, he managed at the late age of 31 to become the No.1 of three-times World Cup winners Germany.

“I suppose it has to be my destiny that everything in my career has to be weird,” he says. “Just sometimes, I wished it would have been a tiny bit easier.”

When he says that, while driving me to the station, I instinctively look down to the car keys in the ignition. On the key-ring fob there is a picture of his daughter Lara.

She was born with a cardiac defect. She spent her first six months in intensive care.

Enke lived between the training pitch and the hospital. There are images you do not forget: “Lara, my wife and I sitting in the deserted hospital canteen on Christmas Eve, eating salmon with potatoes.”

On three occasions, Lara survived life-threatening surgery. On September 17 2006, just after her second birthday, she died after what should have been straightforward ear surgery.

He has never spoken publicly about her death, but he says he likes to talk about her with friends, with people who got to know her.

“Remember the photos of her we looked at yesterday? In every second picture, she was smiling. She was such a happy and brave girl.”

She has taught him something he will not forget: “I don’t want to minimise football; the sport is very important to me and I am very ambitious. But in the end, it's always just football.

Many fans and media in Germany say he is too polite, too softly-spoken. What they really mean is that he lacks character. They confuse a big mouth with charisma.

Germany has always regarded itself as the land of goalkeepers; since the 1970s and the great Sepp Maier, the national team has always been protected by world-class, strong-minded, not to say crazy goalkeepers.

There were the 1980s with Rambo in the cinema and Harald Schumacher in the Germany goal, who kept on chewing his chewing-gum after he kung-fu kicked France’s Battiston half to death in the World Cup semi-final 1982.

Then came the 1990s with Oliver 'Gorilla' Kahn and finally a new century with 'Mad Jens' Lehmann.

In front of this gallery of ancestral portraits now stands Robert Enke. He is as good as any German goalkeeper has ever been, with lightning reflexes and a strong control of the penalty area. He just refuses to give up his sensibility.

“I will never try to psych out or speak badly about one of my rivals for the No.1 spot. I know what respect is.”

[TEXT ENDS]

Robert Enke, rest in peace.
EMP

Post by EMP on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

I went to see the Under-21 match at Wembley between Portugal and England. It began with an immaculately observed minute's silence for Robert Enke.
anglophileHedgehog

Number of posts : 4934
Supports : VfB Stuttgart
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by anglophileHedgehog on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Four years.

Rose Dove Rose 
anglophileHedgehog

Number of posts : 4934
Supports : VfB Stuttgart
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by anglophileHedgehog on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 pm

11Freunde wrote:Nach dem Einschießen sagte er, beinahe beiläufig: »Flo, du wirst hier bald deine Spiele bekommen.« Ich verstand ihn damals nicht. Heute läuft es mir kalt den Rücken runter.

Full article here.

Hug

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 pm