integration: should players sing national anthems

Number of posts : 11028
Registration date : 2006-09-04

integration: should players sing national anthems

Post by  on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:59 am

before the match ?

Beckenbauer now says that ALL of them should

in reality, though, the "non-ethnic-Germans" , like Tasci, Poldi, ....

do not

does it matter ?

should we care?

what is the practice in your country?

Last edited by on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Six

Number of posts : 4390
Supports : Liverpool
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Re: integration: should players sing national anthems

Post by Six on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:04 pm

I've never sung our national anthem in my life. I couldn't care less if the players sing it or not - what matters is what they do after kick off.
Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19688
Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
Favourite Player : Filip Kostic, Bergkamp, Le Tiss
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Axeslammer on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:09 pm

I think that only 10% of the Dutchies are able to sing the first stanza of our National anthem...

It's an ancient acrostic (the first letters of the fifteen stanzas formed the name 'Willem van Nassov') in archaic Dutch that goes on forever.

I don't blame the players if they don't know the words, but would appreciate if they'd took the trouble to learn it....but only if they'd *all* do it.

Being a team starts with the anthem : either we all sing or no one does Ale
Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Whatever happened to world cup songs?

I'd have fucking loved to see Lampard and Ferdinand singing a duet together on top of the pops!
Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19688
Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
Favourite Player : Filip Kostic, Bergkamp, Le Tiss

Post by Axeslammer on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:24 pm

Tweesus wrote:Whatever happened to world cup songs?

Andre Hazes died Crying or Very sad
Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
Supports : FC Den Haag!
Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Personnally I like when every one sings the anthm it shows team spirit and commitment.

In the Netherlands Indonesian-Dutch and Dutch origins always try to sing the anthem, Moroccan-Dutch and Surinamese never try to sing it
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Don't care. I don't like our national anthem much, and find it bizarre when people get upset about players not singing it.

I also don't see why singing it is important in any way for team bonding. If Brave John Terry sings loudly and proudly, but Emile Heskey chooses to use that time to quietly compose his thoughts before the match, should that effect the team's performance in any way? Will Brave JT be angry with quiet Emile and refuse to hoof it up to him?
Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
Supports : FC Den Haag!
Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:58 pm

debaser wrote:Don't care. I don't like our national anthem much, and find it bizarre when people get upset about players not singing it.

I also don't see why singing it is important in any way for team bonding. If Brave John Terry sings loudly and proudly, but Emile Heskey chooses to use that time to quietly compose his thoughts before the match, should that effect the team's performance in any way? Will Brave JT be angry with quiet Emile and refuse to hoof it up to him?

Why are liverpool supporters all sing You never walk alone together....? And why every player who enter such a pitch gets a goose skin...? because it sounds impressive.

We all like the all blacks doing the Maori dance, don't we? it impress your opponent...

think about it!
Lusitan

Number of posts : 773
Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal; Corinthians
Favourite Player : Yazalde, Liedson
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Post by Lusitan on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:16 pm

In our country you'll get fire if you don't sing. Specialy if you are not "born" here. It's one of the first things everyone was seeking on Deco, Pepe and Liedson's first official match.

Personal POV? They should know it and sing it. They are defending the country, not a club.
DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
Supports : Celta Vigo
Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valern, Ral
Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Lusitan wrote:In our country you'll get fire if you don't sing. Specialy if you are not "born" here. It's one of the first things everyone was seeking on Deco, Pepe and Liedson's first official match.

Personal POV? They should know it and sing it. They are defending the country, not a club.

Good thing too. I've noticed Camoranesi doesn't sing it either. IMO that tells you all you need to know about how he feels about Italy - he's an Argentinian playing for Italy as if it were any other club team.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:38 pm

I would never sing our national anthem.
Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:44 pm

Ricardo Wetzel wrote:Why are liverpool supporters all sing You never walk alone together....? And why every player who enter such a pitch gets a goose skin...? because it sounds impressive.

I don't think most players give a fuck about YAWN. Having heard it so very many times, it has lost all meaning to me, and I'm not even a footballer.

And given Liverpool's persistent underachievement in the last two decades, I'd suggest if anything it has the opposite of the affect you attribute to it.

The fourth verse of our national anthem goes:

Not in this land alone
But be God's mercies known
From shore to shore
Lord make the nations see
That men should brothers be
And form one family
The wide world over

A song for the New World Order...
Lusitan

Post by Lusitan on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Ol wrote:
Lusitan wrote:In our country you'll get fire if you don't sing. Specialy if you are not "born" here. It's one of the first things everyone was seeking on Deco, Pepe and Liedson's first official match.

Good thing too. I've noticed Camoranesi doesn't sing it either. IMO that tells you all you need to know about how he feels about Italy - he's an Argentinian playing for Italy as if it were any other club team.

Truth be told, if almost everyone here knows the national anthem, it's Filipo's "fault". lolll

Also, if any "adopted" player sings the anthem in the first match, people will go "ahh, ok, he's one of us." and he'll never have to sing it again.
Very Happy

L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:55 pm

I don't like our anthem much and im not to bothered but i prefer to see some singing.
Six

Number of posts : 4390
Supports : Liverpool
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:58 pm

Ol wrote:

What about someone like Gary Neville, doesn't make him unpatriotic if he has issues with the lyrical content of the anthem. As an agnostic, it means nothing to me. Being English does however. A lot of the anthems are just outdated and don't represent the countries as they are now.
Lusitan

Post by Lusitan on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Six wrote:
Ol wrote:

What about someone like Gary Neville, doesn't make him unpatriotic if he has issues with the lyrical content of the anthem. As an agnostic, it means nothing to me. Being English does however. A lot of the anthems are just outdated and don't represent the countries as they are now.

I do agree that some are really outdated. Don't think it's the case with ours (if one don't take it literaly). It's just a call to arms, to motivate, to regroup. I think that's why most Portuguese still like it and sing it.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:13 pm

I think we should adopt 'The Village Green Preservation Society' by the Kinks as our national anthem Ale

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:22 pm

debaser wrote:Don't care. I don't like our national anthem much, and find it bizarre when people get upset about players not singing it.

ok

I wouldn't sing our anthem. It's dull, I'm not religious, and I certainly couldn't care about God saving an old woman.
TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151

Post by TheCrazy58 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:22 pm

I like the melody of our national anthem but wouldn't sing it - far too much loaded history and association with the lunatic fringe right wing behind it.About half of the Japanese team do sing it but I think the other half who don't don't do so not because they don't know the words.
Jago

Number of posts : 179
Supports : Aston Villa
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Jago on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:38 pm

debaser wrote:I think we should adopt 'The Village Green Preservation Society' by the Kinks as our national anthem Ale

I like our national anthem, but this is a cool idea cheers

Think Terry and co would be more at home with Soulja Boy though Razz
Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Ol wrote:

Always amuses me watching him. Everyone is belting it out in full voice, and it get's to him and he just looks miserable.

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
Supports : Palestine
Favourite Player : Hlder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:47 pm

Good thread ok Shame about the other 1026

I think that there should be two options for national teams, all players should do the same thing. So either:

a) The whole team sings their heart out with gusto and aplomb as though they were performing in the chorus of an upbeat West End musical.

or

2) The whole team stands erect in stoic silence and pays sombre reverence to the occasion, perhaps remembering those throughout history who died for the freedom we enjoy, or in the case of the Germans, remember the shame of your existence and appreciate how lucky you are that a forgiving world tolerates you.
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Javier Glennetti wrote:Good thread ok Shame about the other 1026

I think that there should be two options for national teams, all players should do the same thing. So either:

a) The whole team sings their heart out with gusto and aplomb as though they were performing in the chorus of an upbeat West End musical.

or

2) The whole team stands erect in stoic silence and pays sombre reverence to the occasion, perhaps remembering those throughout history who died for the freedom we enjoy, or in the case of the Germans, remember the shame of your existence and appreciate how lucky you are that a forgiving world tolerates you.

lol!

I don't sing the national anthem 'cos its shit but I would if I was from Russia, Bulgaria, Italy or Wales.
TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151

Post by TheCrazy58 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Lusitan wrote:
Six wrote:
Ol wrote:

I do agree that some are really outdated. Don't think it's the case with ours (if one don't take it literaly). It's just a call to arms, to motivate, to regroup. I think that's why most Portuguese still like it and sing it.

I like the Portugese national anthem. Don't know what the lyrics mean but the melody is good, stirring stuff.
Lusitan

Post by Lusitan on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:07 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:
Lusitan wrote:
Six wrote:
Ol wrote:

I like the Portugese national anthem. Don't know what the lyrics mean but the melody is good, stirring stuff.

here, it's close enough :

Heroes of the sea, noble race,

Valiant and immortal nation,

Now is the hour to raise up on high once more

Portugal's splendour.

From out of the mists of memory,

Oh Homeland, we hear the voices

Of your great forefathers

That shall lead you on to victory!

CHORUS

To arms, to arms

On land and sea!

To arms, to arms

To fight for our Homeland!

To march against the enemy guns!
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:28 pm

I'd have fucking loved to see Lampard and Ferdinand singing a duet together on top of the pops!

Have you heard the new version of 3 Lions? With Robbie Williams and Russell Brand?

It is an absolute disgrace.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:35 pm

borocooper wrote:

Have you heard the new version of 3 Lions? With Robbie Williams and Russell Brand?

It is an absolute disgrace.

Fuck me! Was an odious pair! I don't want to hear it!
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Here it is.

Sounds like a fucking novelty Bob The Builder christmas song...and there's some bullshit choir girl crap at the start too.
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:05 am

Javier Glennetti wrote:Good thread ok Shame about the other 1026

or

Laugh

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
Supports : Palestine
Favourite Player : Hlder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:16 am

borocooper wrote:

Here it is.

Sounds like a fucking novelty Bob The Builder christmas song...and there's some bullshit choir girl crap at the start too.

Please tell me that's not it. It made me feel genuine shame and I'm blushing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:03 pm