South America vs. Europe

blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Re: South America vs. Europe

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:05 pm

It does seem to exist in South America, as I wrote a while ago in a thread I started about "continental solidarity'.

I don't remember any of us going on about the can of whoopass South America got in 2006.

L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Post by L r dd on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Kimbo wrote:I really hate this argument, it pretty much ruined my enjoyment of Italy and France being KO'd. As a little Englander i should NOT be rooting for these teams!

Haha i know!. I'm gonna switch it off from my brain from now on. It's bullshit that i wanted Spain to win today.
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Kimbo wrote:I really hate this argument, it pretty much ruined my enjoyment of Italy and France being KO'd. As a little Englander i should NOT be rooting for these teams!

Does this SA vs Europe rivalry actually exist outside this board?

not here. most brazilians don't give a fuck about other south americans, except argentina and, to a lesser extent, uruguay, that are rivals.

almost all brazilians would cheer for any euro team against argentina.

I'm very much an exception. and, like puro, I support south american football. I would be happy to see argentina winning. my workmates are calling me "argentino" because of this. they cannot understand why the fuck I like them.

@blut

almost all brazilians would support portugal against any south american. and 99.99% of brazilians would support germany, england, france, etc. against argentina.

but we're talking about the majority of the population, not the majority of hard-boiled football fans that watch many games per week and post in football message boards. ok
Puro

Number of posts : 10676
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:37 pm

If you got a perfect bracket in this World Cup so far, then YOU ARE THE MAN!

I've got everything correct except I picked Nigeria second, Cameroon second, Italia second, and Chile first.
Six

Number of posts : 4390
Supports : Liverpool
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:39 pm

I was very much of the opinion that South American teams hadn't done anything to deserve an extra spot at the World Cup (and they hadn't). But maybe they have now and they are getting 6 spots in 2014 anyway, so who cares? Ale

Europe could lose a spot, but not to South America, to a continent with more participants. The North Americans could probably lose half a spot too, the third team with USA and Mexico is pretty much always a waste of space.
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:43 pm

One swallow does not make a summer. They need to show these types of performances consistantly.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22997
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:46 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:It does seem to exist in South America, as I wrote a while ago in a thread I started about "continental solidarity'.

I don't remember any of us going on about the can of whoopass South America got in 2006.

Tho if I remember correctly, there were some Europeans here moaning about how 5 spots for South America were too many... well, that arguement's been settled quite emphatically!
Six

Number of posts : 4390
Supports : Liverpool
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:51 pm

bluenine wrote:
blutgraetsche wrote:It does seem to exist in South America, as I wrote a while ago in a thread I started about "continental solidarity'.

Tho if I remember correctly, there were some Europeans here moaning about how 5 spots for South America were too many... well, that arguement's been settled quite emphatically!

I only remember arguing against them getting another spot, which was an idea being put forward. Can't see what Bolivia or whoever would add to the tournament. No doubt they have 5 good teams though.
Barrilete

Number of posts : 2336
Supports : Club Atlético Boca Juniors
Favourite Player : Maxi Lopez, aka, TWD (The White Drogba)
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Barrilete on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:53 pm

Does this SA vs Europe rivalry actually exist outside this board?

Haha, like Todo, I don't think there's much "continental solidarity"(blut dixit) over here towards other nations in the continent, except maybe with Uruguay.

And that's only because Argentines have somewhat paternal sentiment for our little neighbours across de river.

Ppl don't care for the rest of the countries unless there's some Argentine connection (Bielsa is the perfect example of a detested country that is now viewed with certain sympathy due to current circumstances).

As for Brasil... no need to explain I presume.

Anyway, that's the general view over here.

I do feel however that when ppl post here about teams like Greece, the Czechs, Serbians etc being WAY better than any southamerican team bar Argentina and Brazil, or dismissing the southamerican qualifiers, is disrespectful and ignorant(I'll have my Otto moment here and say it's as ignorant as a French garçon might find an American fatso asking for ranch dressing for his trout on a three Michelin star restaurant).

That and different factors, like, my strongly rooted belief that southamerican football is the best in the world, the Italians being sent home too early(they're usually my 2nd team), the arrogance of the Spanish media, and the possibility of Uruguay reaching the semis(my family comes from Uruguay), it all helps my cheering for south american teams over europeans.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:20 am

Barrilete wrote:the Italians being sent home too early (they're usually my 2nd team)

many brazilians have italy as second team due to their ancestors, and some have spain and germany for the same reason. but argentina is no doubt the most hated team in brazil (the only hated team, to be honest).

nevertheless, they are my second team.

@six

I think europe could give 1 spot to the americas:

europe: 12 instead of 13

south america: 4 + 2 halfs instead of 4 + 1 half

concacaf: 3 + 2 halfs instead of 3 + 1 half

the first 4 south americans would qualify directly, as well as the first 3 concacaf teams - I guess honduras playing better than switzerland and scoring a legal goal that was disallowed shows that a 3rd concacaf team is no absurd.

the 5th conmebol would play against the 5th concacaf, and the 6th conmebol would play against the 4th concacaf.

thus, the americas would have 9 teams instead of 8, and europe would have 12 instead of 13.

we should consider the fact that 7 out of the 8 americans made the second round, whjile only 6 out of the 13 euros made it.

gone

Number of posts : 3455
Supports : Steaua
Favourite Player : Radoi, Ogararu, Nicolita, Iniesta, Edin Dzeko
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by gone on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:28 am

mongrel hawk wrote:we should consider the fact that 7 out of the 8 americans made the second round, whjile only 6 out of the 13 euros made it.

One tournament. Let's look at 2006/2002/1998/etc
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:34 am

Should we really make huge changes to the qualification process after every cup? What if this is a one off and the SA also rans go back to doing nothing like in the past 2 decades or whatever it is? Do we then take places away, maybe shift them to Asia or Africa if they do well?
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:39 am

ok, then we could do this way:

uefa: 7 + 6 spots. the last 6 would play against the last 6 of conmebol.

conmebol: 4 + 6 spots. the last 6 would play off.

we could have games like: england-bolivia (one of the games at 4,000 m, where argentina lost 6-1 and brazil lost 2-0), switzerland-colombia, slovakia-peru, portugal-ecuador at 2,500 m, russia-uruguay and the likes.

if europe deserves it, it will get their 13 spots. it would be fun. ok

Last edited by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Barrilete

Post by Barrilete on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:43 am

mongrel hawk wrote:ok, then we could do this way:

uefa: 7 + 6 spots. the last 6 would play against the last 6 of conmebol.

conmebol: 4 + 6 spots. the last 6 would play off.

we could have games like: england-bolivia (one of the games at 4,000 m, where argentina lost 6-1), switzerland-colombia, slovakia-peru, portugal-ecuador at 2,500 m, russia-uruguay and the likes.

if europe deserves it, it will get their 13 spots. it would be fun. ok

lol!

I like your proposal haha
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:48 am

well, well, well, georgie boy. how about my proposal. would it suit the euro shite teams, or would they tremle in their knees?
Lusitan

Number of posts : 773
Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal; Corinthians
Favourite Player : Yazalde, Liedson
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Post by Lusitan on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:51 am

Alberto wrote:Not bad for the Latin Europeans Portugal and España either coming through in the end.

Too bad the other Latin Europeans didn't make it..... But hey, that's 2 less to worry about cheers
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:59 am

I disagreed with an extra spot, i'm hardly likely to agree to a potential 6 more.

Tell me, if SA always has the best strength in depth, then what happened in 2006, 2002, 1998, 1994, and 1990? When was the last non-Brazilian/Argentinian SA team that did well at a world cup? And should the qualifying process change after every cup?

L r dd

Post by L r dd on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:00 am

Last time a team other than Brazil or Argentina won the copa america?
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:20 am

L r dd wrote:Last time a team other than Brazil or Argentina won the copa america?

When Argentina didnt play, and when Brazil went out to Honduras Laugh

debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:15 am

Alberto wrote:I've got everything correct except I picked Nigeria second, Cameroon second, Italia second, and Chile first.

LIAR.

You predicted USA and Algeria to go through in group C.

You also told us Honduras would be good Neutral
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:28 am

Kimbo wrote:I disagreed with an extra spot, i'm hardly likely to agree to a potential 6 more.

Tell me, if SA always has the best strength in depth, then what happened in 2006, 2002, 1998, 1994, and 1990? When was the last non-Brazilian/Argentinian SA team that did well at a world cup? And should the qualifying process change after every cup?

I never said that.

Last edited by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:31 am

L r dd wrote:Last time a team other than Brazil or Argentina won the copa america?

colombia in 2001, uruguay in 95.

L r dd

Post by L r dd on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:46 am

Argentina were not in it 2001 doesnt count. 15 years ago. Look at euro's.....96 germany 2000 france 2004 greece 2008 spain. Numerous teams of quality not just 2
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:53 am

L r dd wrote:Argentina were not in it 2001 doesnt count. 15 years ago. Look at euro's.....96 germany 2000 france 2004 greece 2008 spain. Numerous teams of quality not just 2

you really bought this rivalry, didn't you? Laughing
Puro

Number of posts : 10676
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:05 am

debaser wrote:
Alberto wrote:I've got everything correct except I picked Nigeria second, Cameroon second, Italia second, and Chile first.

LIAR.

You predicted USA and Algeria to go through in group C.

You also told us Honduras would be good Neutral

Good enough to beat euro shite. They did, but Blatter said "NO" with his refs disallowing them a goal when their goalscorer was one whole meter onside FFS! lol!
bluenine

Number of posts : 22997
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:52 am

Rosicky wrote:

Interesting logic. When was the last time a team other than ManU, Chelsea or Arsenal won the EPL?
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:28 am

bluenine wrote:
Rosicky wrote:

Interesting logic. When was the last time a team other than ManU, Chelsea or Arsenal won the EPL?

Whats this got to do with anything? And Serie A fans shouldnt be saying anything about uncompetitive leagues.

----

I am not sure why South Americans are getting quite so excited just yet, lets wait until Uruguay and Paraguay actually make it to the 1/4's. We could yet still have just Brazil and Argentina there again.
Barrilete

Post by Barrilete on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:46 pm

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/worldcup2010/archive/2010/06/26/south-america-rules-the-world.aspx
SuperMario

Number of posts : 16866
Supports : Feyenoord & Arsenal
Favourite Player : Diego Biseswar
Registration date : 2006-11-10

Post by SuperMario on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:51 pm

I'ld hold my horses caballero, your rule could be over before the tourney ends.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:02 pm

I don't recall Europeans being so arrogant during the past half a dozen cups.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 am