AZZURI D'ITALIA

Murray

Number of posts : 10197
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: AZZURI D'ITALIA

Post by Murray on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:13 pm

They could have played one of those teams at the World Cup if only Lippi wasn't such a tw@t.
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:57 pm

bluenine wrote:Italy at Euro 2012:

Buffon
De Silvestri - Ranocchia - Chiellini - Santon
Montolivo - Pirlo - De Rossi
Cassano - Balotelli
Gilardino

Viviano
Maggio - Bonucci - Bocchetti - Criscito
Aquilani - Cigarini - Palombo/Marchisio
Quagliarella - Rossi
Pazzini/Amauri

Its a new revolution!!! cheers

Really ?

2 years from now ?

Calm down its only Faroe Islands but Serbia result was good for you.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22997
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:40 am

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
bluenine wrote:Italy at Euro 2012:

Buffon
De Silvestri - Ranocchia - Chiellini - Santon
Montolivo - Pirlo - De Rossi
Cassano - Balotelli
Gilardino

Viviano
Maggio - Bonucci - Bocchetti - Criscito
Aquilani - Cigarini - Palombo/Marchisio
Quagliarella - Rossi
Pazzini/Amauri

Its a new revolution!!! cheers

Really ?

2 years from now ?

Calm down its only Faroe Islands but Serbia result was good for you.

Buffon is just 32... he will definately be there, and might still be one of the best in the world. Hell, he may still be there for world cup 2014! 36 is nothing for a GK.

And its not the 5-0 scoreline that has me excited, mate. Its the line up. 2 fantasista's behind a centre forward, supported by 2 regista's and a box-to-box midfielder... Thats such a fluid, attacking formation. No more 2-3 DMs to break up play. Its that fresh, bold approach that is so exciting!

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

Here is what Prandelli's team sheet could look like, according to Gazzetta.

Goalkeepers: Emiliano Viviano [Bologna], Salvatore Sirigu [Palermo], Antonio Mirante [Parma].

Defenders: Mattia Cassani [Palermo], Lorenzo De Silvestri [Fiorentina], Leonardo Bonucci [Juventus], Giorgio Chiellini [Juventus], Cristian Molinaro [Stuttgart], Luca Antonelli [Parma].

Two more defenders are also in line for a call and the coach will choose from Palermo’s Cesare Bovo, Sampdoria’s Daniele Gastaldello, Cagliari’s Davide Astori and Genoa's Andrea Ranocchia.

Midfielders: Andrea Pirlo [Milan], Daniele De Rossi [Roma], Claudio Marchisio [Juventus], Riccardo Montolivo [Fiorentina], Angelo Palombo [Sampdoria], Simone Pepe [Juventus].

Cagliari’s Andrea Lazzari has a chance of being included.

Strikers: Antonio Cassano [Sampdoria], Giampaolo Pazzini [Sampdoria], Alberto Gilardino [Fiorentina], Giuseppe Rossi [Villarreal], Fabio Quagliarella [Juventus].

That seems to be on expected lines, though I would hope for a few changes....

GK: Its amazing how Prandelli's is giving competitive game exposure to young keepers like Viviano & Sirigu, but maybe he should take Storari/Abbiati as a back up insurance.

Def: Its time he gave up on Molinari, just like he did with Motta. These guys are not upto the task. Perhaps the recently fit Santon should get a look in... Ditto Ranocchia, its time he gets a chance.

Mid: I guess this is fine for now, even though I just cannot understand this persistence with Pepe.

Str: Iaquinta has to be there. Italy need a physical presence in the attack against top teams.

The new look young Azzurri of Prandelli may have won the first 2 easy games... But now these games against the other top teams in the group (Serbia & Ireland) are going to be tough. It may be unreasonable to expect Prandelli's team to win so early in his reign, but at least 2-4 points will be needed to keep Italy in line for Euro 2012 qualification.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Interesting squad announced by Prandelli.... In the defence, he has recalled Criscito over Molinaro (good move) and a possible debut for Doria's Gastaldello.... in the midfield, Mauri comes in for the "unfit" Montolivo, the Lazio midfielder being rewarded for the high flying Aquila. Borriello comes in to add some muscle to the attack - I would ve prefered Iaquinta, but Borriello will do too.

Decent squad. Prandelli desperately needs some of the young fullbacks to start shining in Serie A (Santon, De Silvestri, etc) and some players to come back to fitness & form (Ranocchia, Balotelli, Montolivo, etc)... This new Italy is starting to take shape.

I fear for the tough games ahead, this new team is probably not ready for a test like Serbia... I hope the press does not judge this bold ressurection by hard results so early in the transition.

Goalkeepers: Emiliano Viviano (Bologna), Salvatore Sirigu (Palermo), Antonio Mirante (Parma);

Defenders: Mattia Cassani (Palermo), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Gianluca Zambrotta (Milan), Daniele Gastaldello (Sampdoria), Cesare Bovo (Palermo), Luca Antonelli (Parma);

Midfielders: Andrea Pirlo (Milan), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Andrea Lazzari (Cagliari), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Stefano Mauri (Lazio), Simone Pepe (Juventus);

Strikers: Marco Borriello (Roma), Antonio Cassano (Sampdoria), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria), Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal).

Black Magic

Number of posts : 7514
Registration date : 2007-10-14

Post by Black Magic on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:35 pm

De Rossi is very tired, hopefully Prandelli sees this.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Amazing XI Casiraghi started today for the Euro-U21 playoff.... Azzurini won with both the strikers scoring a goal each!

Mannone
De Silvestri, Ranocchia, Ogbonna, Santon
Schelotto, Marrone, Poli, Fabbrini
Okaka, Destro

4-5 of these players could join Prandelli's squad within 6 months!!
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:40 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Santon, Di Silvestri, Contento, Criscito

Prandelli has his young fullbacks for Euro2012!

Contento rejects Germany for Italy Friday 8 October, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bayern Munich starlet Diego Contento has rejected German international duty in order to wait for Italy, reveals Oliver Bierhoff.

“We do not force any player to represent us,” German team manager Bierhoff told Tuttosport. “For example, Contento is available for the German side as he was born in Germany, but he decided not to and on Tuesday turned down the call from the Under-21 international side. This is because he wants to play for Italy. In emotional and cultural terms, he feels more a part of your country.”

It’s excellent news for Cesare Prandelli and could add to the list of Oriundi in the side after Amauri and Mauro Camoranesi. The 20-year-old left-back would be very useful for an Azzurri team that is lacking in that area. Contento has Neapolitan parents and was named after Napoli legend Diego Armando Maradona.

“Others like Mesut Ozil, Lucas Podolski, Miroslav Klose and Cacau have decided to wear the Germany shirt because they feel that they belong to this nation. In Germany a foreigner is not a problem, but a fundamental resource for our social and sporting growth,” continued former Milan and Udinese striker Bierhoff.

“This is why many players who do not have German origins still want to represent our country. It has become their country, too.”
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:51 pm

contento is utter crap and will be replaced in the transfer periode in the winter, with vanbuyten Wink
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:15 am

Kroos wrote:contento is utter crap and will be replaced in the transfer periode in the winter, with vanbuyten Wink
I have only seen him play a few times, including his CL debut against Fiorentina.... he looks like a good talent to me... haven't seen any bayern game this season, so will take your word for it....

Anyways, considering Italys defensive problems on the left, all talented options are welcome.
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 am

bluenine wrote:
Kroos wrote:contento is utter crap and will be replaced in the transfer periode in the winter, with vanbuyten Wink
I have only seen him play a few times, including his CL debut against Fiorentina.... he looks like a good talent to me... haven't seen any bayern game this season, so will take your word for it....

Anyways, considering Italys defensive problems on the left, all talented options are welcome.

he really was not up his best, but hardly a bayern player is this atm

maybe i am a bit harsh on him, in a good working team he would perform better

i would take him for germany, hes a facking traitor Rolling Eyes
Cheb Hamouda

Number of posts : 421
Supports : AC Milan
Favourite Player : Pirlo, Nesta, Pique, Kaka, T. Silva, Sneijder
Registration date : 2010-08-08

Post by Cheb Hamouda on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 am

Anyone wants to talk about the embarassing 0-0 scoreline with N. Ireland?

Why the hell is Borriello playing???? especially when you have Pazzini available?
Pirlo

Number of posts : 2750
Favourite Player : Andrea Pirlo, Maldini, Costacurta, Nesta, Redondo, Rui Costa, R. Baggio, Sheva, Boban, Albertini, Seedorf, Kaka!

Post by Pirlo on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Cheb Hamouda wrote:Anyone wants to talk about the embarassing 0-0 scoreline with N. Ireland?

Why the hell is Borriello playing???? especially when you have Pazzini available?

In what way??

N.Ireland have a good home record, they've beaten Spain at home, it's a good result, good passages of play, gained a point over Serbia who lost 3-1 at HOME to ESTONIA, and look on track to win the group, so don't understand why it's an embarrasing scoreline. Lot's of debutants in the squad and everyone in Italy is aware it will take time for the squad and the team to be comfortable and expressive in its new identity. For the moment, we are clear at the top of the group and have the biggest goal difference, so all is well in that respect.

Regarding Borriello, i expect for the first time in ages that players are being picked on merit, he's played well since the start of the season even if his actual finishing of 1on1 situations continues to be awful but he deserves a chance of redemption in tha nationals.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:00 am

Pirlo wrote:
Cheb Hamouda wrote:Anyone wants to talk about the embarassing 0-0 scoreline with N. Ireland?

In what way??

N.Ireland have a good home record, they've beaten Spain at home, it's a good result, good passages of play, gained a point over Serbia who lost 3-1 at HOME to ESTONIA, and look on track to win the group, so don't understand why it's an embarrasing scoreline. Lot's of debutants in the squad and everyone in Italy is aware it will take time for the squad and the team to be comfortable and expressive in its new identity. For the moment, we are clear at the top of the group and have the biggest goal difference, so all is well in that respect.

Regarding Borriello, i expect for the first time in ages that players are being picked on merit, he's played well since the start of the season even if his actual finishing of 1on1 situations continues to be awful but he deserves a chance of redemption in tha nationals.

Yeah, I agree with Pirlo. Italy are undergoing a revolution, and this is not a bad result so early in the Prandelli era. In fact, the way Italy played was quite encouraging, we have rarely seen such positive attitude from the Azzurri since 2006. Next game against Serbia is an acid test, I fear this young Italy is not ready yet... luckily, Serbia lost this weekend, so Italy have some breathing space...

Re Borriello, again I agree with Pirlo. His and Mauri's inclusion is so refreshing... this demonstrates a positive shift from an era of "favouratism" into a merit based selection system where form is key... Borriello had a bad game, specially with regards to his finishing, but he deserved his start over Pazzini based on his season so far. This is even more apparent in case of Mauri... the likes of Lippi would never have picked him for this game, but Prandelli picked him on his form - which has been excellent for Lazio... and Mauri had a good game. Cassani is another example, and he is already cementing his place in the starting XI.

Italy missed too many chances, that was the only problem... hopefully with Iaquinta already back and in a few months Balotelli, that will change. Perhaps Amauri will soon rediscover his form.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:57 am

I like this guy!! This is why I wanted him to be the coach of Inter, a refreshing attitude...

I also hear that Rossi might be starting over Pepe... finally!! Apart from getting us rid of that useless pepe, that is also a more attacking move as Rossi plays further up and will have lessor workrate. 7

I can't wait for the Serbia game...

Prandelli on the attack Sunday 10 October, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cesare Prandelli has no intention of shelving the trident against Serbia. “If anything, I want my Italy to be even more attacking.” The Azzurri won their first two Euro 2012 qualifiers before Friday’s 0-0 draw with Northern Ireland.

“When you wear this jersey, your eye of the tiger style strength has to come naturally and there’s no need to fire it up,” said the Coach. “I am convinced we will find that animal instinct within us soon. I don’t know if my attacking Italy is revolutionary, but that is the way I read football. If anything, I want my Italy to be even more attacking.”

Giampaolo Pazzini and Giuseppe Rossi are pushing for a starting spot against Serbia on Tuesday, replacing Marco Borriello and Simone Pepe. They both shone in the Saturday evening training session, which saw a game between ranks for those who didn’t play the entire match in Belfast. Pazzini netted five goals and Rossi bagged four, while Cesare Bovo also scored a brace. Prandelli’s choices were criticised after the 0-0 in Northern Ireland, but the tactician has his way of dealing with the media.

“If I didn’t like something about the judgment of my team, I will never reveal it. Usually when I open the newspapers and read some criticism, I turn to the book I carry around with me instead. “On the plane back from Belfast, I read my book all the way home.”

Cheb Hamouda

Post by Cheb Hamouda on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 pm

I did not watch until the last 5 minutes of the match, what I saw was that N.Ireland were pressuring with some sloppy high balls around the area some of which could have gone in. I realise that throughout the game Italy were in control of the game but the finishing was poor, but would we still be content if one of those Irish goals went in at the death?

I know Italy is like this in qualifiers, their games are extremely boring, always 0-0s or 1-0s nothing amazing, even a game against Azerbeijan would look like a difficult struggle, I realise Italians always think about how much energy they consume and this kind of stuff, very cautious. Then you flip the channel and you see Germany, England, Spain demolishing other teams by 4 or 5 goals and they still keep fresh. I am not asking to them to play like its the movie 300 in these games, but they shouldnt slack so often because it keeps them on the edge between minor success and breakdown. Its as if they dont want to win by a big margin so as not to increase expectations for the next match, afterall Italians always do better when they are not the favorites.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Cheb Hamouda wrote:I did not watch until the last 5 minutes of the match, what I saw was that N.Ireland were pressuring with some sloppy high balls around the area some of which could have gone in. I realise that throughout the game Italy were in control of the game but the finishing was poor, but would we still be content if one of those Irish goals went in at the death?

I know Italy is like this in qualifiers, their games are extremely boring, always 0-0s or 1-0s nothing amazing, even a game against Azerbeijan would look like a difficult struggle, I realise Italians always think about how much energy they consume and this kind of stuff, very cautious. Then you flip the channel and you see Germany, England, Spain demolishing other teams by 4 or 5 goals and they still keep fresh. I am not asking to them to play like its the movie 300 in these games, but they shouldnt slack so often because it keeps them on the edge between minor success and breakdown. Its as if they dont want to win by a big margin so as not to increase expectations for the next match, afterall Italians always do better when they are not the favorites.

There are some things to consider here, mate.

Firstly, the revolution... Italy's development has been completely ignored by the last two coaches, and young talent has been wasted. Culminating in one of the worst world world cup disasters ever! Prandelli's first task is not to get great results, but build a squad for the future... and his refreshing approach, as well as boldness in squad selection is doing just that...

Secondly, this was anything but a cautious approach. I understand you did not watch the game... but Prandelli's Italy so far (3 competitive games) has been bold and attacking. It takes time for a new NT coach to even find the best combination, let alone for those players to start clicking... but no one can fault them for the approach & what they are trying to achieve. Unlike the last two doctrines where we all knew the approach/players were just wrong.

Thirdly, I know its tempting to generalise NTs, but we must appreciate the difference in character/approach that each new coach or each new era brings... even in this short while, we know that the Prandelli era is going to be very different... 3 strikers, 1 AM, 1 regista, attacking fullbacks and at times no DM is a big departure from previous versions of the Azzurri. The goals will come, and its not like 7 goals in first 3 competitive games is a piss poor result (even tho 5 of them came against Faroe islands).

Finally, this is Italy, not England or Spain. Italians bring their own style/culture into the game, and for one I hope that always remains that ways... let other nations play differently, Italy has to play like Italy.... and its not like the Italian way is not successful... you are right that historically Italy does not have a great record against smaller teams, as compared to a Brasil... I onvce did an analysis of the big 4 (Bra, Ita, Ger, Arg) to compare their results against other teams, and against each other. If you only consider games against nations outside the big 4, Italy & Arg had the worst record of the big 4. But when you only consider the games against the big 4 opposition, Italy had the best record among the big 4. Kind of says something, eh? Thats what defines Italy, not the defensive stereotype, which is just a media spread rubbish. Lippi's Italy2010 was the opposite of the usual Italy, which is why most Italians lost hope even before the World Cup... coz Lippi's Italy seemed built to defeat weaker opposition, with average players and decent teamwork. But it always failed against top teams. That is so unlike Italy.

Prandelli's Italy is not different copz it focuses on attack... it may actually end up becoming more like the usual Italy than Lippi's, coz this team is starting to look like it can beat anyone once it starts gelling.
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:09 pm

bluenine wrote:
Secondly, this was anything but a cautious approach. I understand you did not watch the game... but Prandelli's Italy so far (3 competitive games) has been bold and attacking. It takes time for a new NT coach to even find the best combination, let alone for those players to start clicking... but no one can fault them for the approach & what they are trying to achieve. Unlike the last two doctrines where we all knew the approach/players were just wrong.

Thirdly, I know its tempting to generalise NTs, but we must appreciate the difference in character/approach that each new coach or each new era brings... even in this short while, we know that the Prandelli era is going to be very different... 3 strikers, 1 AM, 1 regista, attacking fullbacks and at times no DM is a big departure from previous versions of the Azzurri. The goals will come, and its not like 7 goals in first 3 competitive games is a piss poor result (even tho 5 of them came against Faroe islands).

IMHO the main thing to consider is that for the first time ever (well in modern football I mean) the Azzurri can only field a shitty defence.
By italian standards, apart from Buffon the keeper roster is average at best, FBs are weak and CBs are a nightmare - jeez our best of breed is Chiellini that couldn't hold a candle to Materazzi in his prime, enuf said.

So it's the first time that we know we'll have to work our ass out to figure out how to outscore oppontents rather than soak them up.
I'm glad we got a coach like Prandelli which is quite adventurous for italian NT standards.

I'm still not sold that the kind of players we have can make good use of a real 433.
We have few other options anyway as we don't have the players for a good 4231 either (too few decent mezz'ala), 442 is land of dull, and 352 is hard for CBs.

Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Sirgu looks good at Palermo?

And I actually quite like Chiellini.

Look very thin in terms of a top quality No. 9 though; are there even any? Currently, Cassano + Rossi are the best options upfront IMO.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:59 pm

bluenine wrote:
Cheb Hamouda wrote:I did not watch until the last 5 minutes of the match, what I saw was that N.Ireland were pressuring with some sloppy high balls around the area some of which could have gone in. I realise that throughout the game Italy were in control of the game but the finishing was poor, but would we still be content if one of those Irish goals went in at the death?

There are some things to consider here, mate.

Firstly, the revolution... Italy's development has been completely ignored by the last two coaches, and young talent has been wasted. Culminating in one of the worst world world cup disasters ever! Prandelli's first task is not to get great results, but build a squad for the future... and his refreshing approach, as well as boldness in squad selection is doing just that...

Finally, this is Italy, not England or Spain. Italians bring their own style/culture into the game, and for one I hope that always remains that ways... let other nations play differently, Italy has to play like Italy.... and its not like the Italian way is not successful... you are right that historically Italy does not have a great record against smaller teams, as compared to a Brasil... I onvce did an analysis of the big 4 (Bra, Ita, Ger, Arg) to compare their results against other teams, and against each other. If you only consider games against nations outside the big 4, Italy & Arg had the worst record of the big 4. But when you only consider the games against the big 4 opposition, Italy had the best record among the big 4. Kind of says something, eh? Thats what defines Italy, not the defensive stereotype, which is just a media spread rubbish. Lippi's Italy2010 was the opposite of the usual Italy, which is why most Italians lost hope even before the World Cup... coz Lippi's Italy seemed built to defeat weaker opposition, with average players and decent teamwork. But it always failed against top teams. That is so unlike Italy.

Prandelli's Italy is not different copz it focuses on attack... it may actually end up becoming more like the usual Italy than Lippi's, coz this team is starting to look like it can beat anyone once it starts gelling.
ok
Allthough I wouldn't mind Italy playing more defensively because the current defence isn't that strong. I thought Chiellini would continue his development which looked promising at one point but he looks a bit lost now.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:28 pm

abundance wrote:
bluenine wrote:

IMHO the main thing to consider is that for the first time ever (well in modern football I mean) the Azzurri can only field a shitty defence.
By italian standards, apart from Buffon the keeper roster is average at best, FBs are weak and CBs are a nightmare - jeez our best of breed is Chiellini that couldn't hold a candle to Materazzi in his prime, enuf said.

So it's the first time that we know we'll have to work our ass out to figure out how to outscore oppontents rather than soak them up.
I'm glad we got a coach like Prandelli which is quite adventurous for italian NT standards.

I'm still not sold that the kind of players we have can make good use of a real 433.
We have few other options anyway as we don't have the players for a good 4231 either (too few decent mezz'ala), 442 is land of dull, and 352 is hard for CBs.
You are right about the defence... tho re the GK, IMO Viviano & Sirigu are talented youngsters for the future - so its not an average roster, its one world class keeper (Buffon) and two very talented young ones... with Abbiati & Storari (Milan & Juve's starting keepers) to fall back upon if either of these kids break down. GK is one position in defence where I think Italy looks good.

The defenders are a big worry, and this is where the biggest revolution is needed... that Prandelli felt it necessary to recall Zambrotta for the crucial games demonstrates this problem. But perhaps it also had to do with the fact that Prandelli did not want to call up U21 players before their key qualification game... now that one has gone up in smoke, so I expect some reinforcements from the U21s.... Ranocchia, Santon, Di Silvestri, Schelotto, Poli and perhaps Okaka... thats a decent lot of kids to integrate with the senior team... maybe even young Contento.
Viviano/Sirigu
Santon/Di Silvestri - Ranocchia/Bonucci - Chiellini/Bocchetti - Criscito/Contento

Maybe only half of the above will work out, but if thats the case, it will be awesome for the future of Italy... if Lippi were the coach, most of these would ve been ignored... with Prandelli, I have a feeling most of these will get a chance for the Azzurri, and some will get a good run. Having such a young defence means that Italy will make mistakes... perhaps a lot of them... but it is important for Italy to do this... sacrifice two years to develop this new generation for a bright future...

To sum up, Lippi OUT, Prandelli IN means soomething like Legrotaglie OUT, Ranocchia IN

It may not pay immediate dividends, but just give this philosophy 1-2 years...
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Calidad wrote:Sirgu looks good at Palermo?

And I actually quite like Chiellini.

Look very thin in terms of a top quality No. 9 though; are there even any? Currently, Cassano + Rossi are the best options upfront IMO.
Italy have a lot of decent no9's, no world class one tho... but thats been the case with Italy most of the times... if you look at the last 25 years, how many world class No9's has Italy produced? Probably just Vieri during his hayday, & perhaps Toni for like 1 year. Players like Signori, Vialli, Schillaci, etc were good, but IMO not world class. Most great Italian sides had a world class fantasista, the no10... even in recent past we have examples Totti, Del Piero, Baggio... now, its between Cassano, Balotelli & Rossi, so Italy have some talent in this department that could provide world class performances (interesting to note that none of these made Lippi's squad).

These days, the fight for the no9 role is between Gilardino, Pazzini, Amauri, Iaquinta, Floccari & Borriello... they are all good strikers... Prandelli also has the option to play Balotelli as a no9, tho that may not be his best position.

abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:52 am

Did you hear who's going to coach the azzurri's Under 21?...
Spoiler:

Ciro Ferrara

Cheb Hamouda

Post by Cheb Hamouda on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Ferrara!
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:44 am

Youth

abundance wrote:Did you hear who's going to coach the azzurri's Under 21?...
Spoiler:

Ciro Ferrara

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Prandelli continues brave experimetation with youth:

Squad for friendly against Romania:

Goalkeepers: Mirante (Parma), Sirigu (Palermo), Viviano (Bologna);
Defenders: Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Palermo), Bonucci (Juventus), Cassani (Palermo), Criscito (Genoa), Gastaldello (Sampdoria), Ranocchia (Genoa), Santon (Inter);
Midfielders: Aquilani (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Brescia), Ledesma (Lazio), Marchisio (Juventus), Mauri (Lazio), Pirlo (Milan);
Forwards: Balotelli (Manchester City), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Pazzini (Sampdoria), Quagliarella (Juventus), Rossi (Villarreal)
Santon & Balotelli return to the squad, and there is also finally a call up for Ranocchia... perhaps we will finally see the Ranocchia-Bonucci partnership for the Azzurri, a look into the future... happy with the call ups for Ledesma, Diamanti, Aquilani & Rossi - alll steps in the right direction, even if some of these players may not be ready for the NT yet, this experience will only get them there faster....

While Inter are represented by only Santon, there are two players (Ranocchia & Viviano) co-owned by Inter.... and Balotelli, Bonucci & Pirlo were our youth products. Inter are finally starting to contribute to the Azzurri..
Cheb Hamouda

Post by Cheb Hamouda on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:24 am

After watching the Roma Juve game, I though of the next generation of azzuri and this is how I think it should look like:

-----------------------------Viviano-----------------------------------
----Abate (Cassani)---Bonucci--Chiellini---Santon(De Ceglie)----
-----Marchisio--------De Rossi--Aquilani------Greco---------------
------------------Pazzini(Balotelli)-----Quagliarella (Cassano)----

Basically the players I am unsure of are on the wings (Abate, Santon, Greco) but I think the CB is very solid, and De Rossi Aquilani is fundemental, Marchisio is growing a lot under Del Neri and Quagliarella is a must because he is a complete forward, and very rare in Italian football because is able to do everything and is not scared to take a hit.

I think Abate is becoming a very good Right Back under Allegri, he is not getting caught out of posession so easily anymore and he sends in better crosses and does better going forward. Santon needs to get more time he is really improving at a very slow pace. Greco is relatively new to me but I like what I saw in terms of characteristics, there are not enough mobile left footed players in Italy, Mauri is good but he is too much like the other midfielders I listed someone needs to run. Finally Balotelli should become more of a CF and use his physique to become more complete.

-------------------------
Plan B:

Bring back 3 man defence a la Napoli and Genoa:

--------------------------------Viviano------------------------------------
------------Rannochia--------Bonucci----------Chiellini-----------------
----Maggio(Abate)-----De Rossi---Aquilani-------De Ceglie----------
-------------Balotelli-----------Cassano-------Quagliarella------------

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Yeah, there are some promising players coming up... Prandelli may even put up a good new squad in time for 2012... And its all down to the next gen of players coming up, and there are some exciting prospects who can make things very interesting:

Viviano, Sirigu, Ranocchia, Bonucci, Astori, Santon, Criscito, Di Silvestri, De Ceglie, Motta, Abate, Marchisio, Greco, Poli, Balotelli, Rossi.....etc etc

And more importantly, these young players are now getting a chance at International football. Its a new revolution.

Prandelli Ale I feel excited about Azzurri again!
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 am

Love the experimentation Prandelli continues to do.... hopefully we will see a squad like this at Euro 2012:

Buffon
Cassani - Ranocchia - Bonucci - Santon
Aquilani - De Rossi
Cassano - Pirlo - Rossi
Balotelli

Viviano
Di Silvestri - Astori - Chiellini - Criscito
Ledesma - Marchisio
Schelotto - Montolivo - Quagliarella
Amauri

I personally feel players like Balotelli & Amauri (and even Iaquinta, if he ever returns to top fitness/form) are better suited for the striker role in this formation than Pazzini or Gila, as they can hold the ball up better. Clearly, the younger fullbacks first need to prove themselves at this level. The key weakness is the lack of proper wingers... playing forwards in that role weakens the midfield... this is probably why shite like Pepe & Donkey keep getting into the team... you need at least one winger who will help the midfield. Wish Italy had someone like Krasic or Vargas. Perhaps the likes of Marchionni will step up their game...
Tarun

Number of posts : 3087
Supports : Juventus
Favourite Player : Del Piero, Gianluigi Buffon
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Post by Tarun on Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:19 am

If you watched Pepe in the recent few games you might want to change your opinion. I bet Prandelli will surely be watching his form carefully. If the requirement is about helping the midfield then he fits the bill nicely, going by the last few games. He even played as a makeshift LB during our recent injury crisis.

Like you mentioned, the critical question is that do we have other, better options? Marchionni maybe...

bluenine wrote:The key weakness is the lack of proper wingers... playing forwards in that role weakens the midfield... this is probably why shite like Pepe & Donkey keep getting into the team... you need at least one winger who will help the midfield. Wish Italy had someone like Krasic or Vargas. Perhaps the likes of Marchionni will step up their game...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:42 pm