AC Milan 2010-11

Forza Italia!Forza Milan!

Number of posts : 4759
Supports : Italia and Milan
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Re: AC Milan 2010-11

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:13 pm

I agree with Noah and the Bale.

One canard that has gained unchallenged currency is that English players aren't technical. Paul Scholes to me is an example of a very technical player, and yet he was described in many Continental punditry as a good player, who was direct. I remember reading this characterization a few times.

In my opinion, these are outdated ways of thinking about the game. The Premiership is now awash with players from Latin countries, countries that have been traditionally regarded as possessing flair. Further, Chelsea and Arsenal are both led by coaches who are celebrated as having a certain continental sophistication.

But it goes the other way also. I have heard and read English opinions--including respected, articulate ones--describing Italian football as dull and defensive, when in recent years the latter has precisely become a deficiency in the game, while the former is not the adjective you would use to describe some of the games in Serie A. Apart from Inter's superb job at withstanding Barcelona in the Camp Nou, I am struggling to recall a recent Italian performance that was notable for its defensive solidity. Napoli, just this year, drew 3-3 with Utrecht I think.

Look, last year, Inter beat Chelsea because they used their quicker players to their advantage, and they had better link-up play between the midfield and the frontline. For us that was non-existent in the game against Tottenham. By the time we would painfully organize an attack, it would be a good 15 seconds, which is way too long. Tottenham would reshape themselves by that time. Once Pato came on, we found someone who could keep the ball and someone who was fast. I also think the game could have gone either way in the second half.

These paradigm shifts are tempting to explain failures, but our problems were much more fundamental.

Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Deluded F*ck wrote:
Kimbo wrote:
Noah and the Bale wrote:If this isn't your implication, then fair enough, but I'm going to argue this anyway: it's a massive disservice, and I also believe a noticeably inherent snobbery, not to credit the English league for bridging the tactical and technical gap. It's not enough to say teams like Spurs, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, (and lesser sides who have done well in the Europa League such as Fulham and Newcastle) only succeed against Italian (and Spanish) counterparts because of physicality and speed, ie the "modern game".

The fucking arrogance! The unbelievable fucking arrogance!

You've only been in the CL proper 2 twice, the last of which was 8 years ago. And we've already equalled your best performance from back then. Behave yourself.

You've been in it once, and when was the last time you challenged for the title? Watch what clubs you refer to as "lesser" Spuddy's, your boys haven't done shit yet. <Ale>
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Deluded F*ck wrote:
Kimbo wrote:
Noah and the Bale wrote:If this isn't your implication, then fair enough, but I'm going to argue this anyway: it's a massive disservice, and I also believe a noticeably inherent snobbery, not to credit the English league for bridging the tactical and technical gap. It's not enough to say teams like Spurs, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, (and lesser sides who have done well in the Europa League such as Fulham and Newcastle) only succeed against Italian (and Spanish) counterparts because of physicality and speed, ie the "modern game".

The fucking arrogance! The unbelievable fucking arrogance!

You've only been in the CL proper 2 twice, the last of which was 8 years ago. And we've already equalled your best performance from back then. Behave yourself.

You've been in it once, and when was the last time you challenged for the title? Watch watch what clubs you refer to as "lesser" 0trick, your boys haven't done shit yet. <Ale>

I only even meant this under current context, given the whole point of my post was to highlight the differences between now and the Premier League in the 90's. You've been a lesser team than us for the last 5 years, time you dealt with it
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:42 pm

@bale: you're right, it's not physicality as in running around like chickens, it's about intensity - a word that defines the modern game and that here in Italy - dunno abroad - came into fashion around Sacchi's time, in a positive sense of enjoyable aggressive dynamism.

Intensity needs well fit players with good stamina, but it's not tactically simplistic or technically poor per se - physique is not enough, you need good footballers with a good understanding to think and act faster than the opposition.

Of course when everybody runs at top speed all the time the classical poetry of the football tempo suffers.
Anyway I think most of the modern public would be bored to hell watching the slow football of the old times.

To make it at the to level without the intensity of current english clubs, you either need to be able to make love with the ball like only Barca can (Milan 2005 was very close), or sit down and be perfect positionally and in one'o'ones like Mourinho's Inter could very well last year.
Current italian top teams struggle to be either intense, ball flowing, or flawlessy rugged, so they generally suffer with the more well-oiled british counterparts.

@deluded: yeah all team sports evolve to maximise fitness and physical attributes with the improvements of training and sport medicine, and with the attention to details of extreme professionalism.
And again, people enjoy up-tempo games.

Anyway football had an unique peculiarity among team sports, which is that it accepted a very wide range of physical types in comparision.
You could be tall and rugged or small and light, fast or slow, and there could always be a role for you.
Hell if you were very good with the ball you didn't even need to be an athlethe at all.

Nowadays this diversity is getting lost, there are succesfull midgets around, or players with bad physique which are successfull on skill alone, but the baseline is more homogenized. I read that in the last Juve-Inter, Juve's players' mean height was 189cm ffs.

oh and @pirlo: great post, brings so many memories...
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:01 am

There has been movements in both English and Italian football that has lead to the equilibrium we are enjoying(or not enjoying) today. Like TRWP(Noah) said English football has always been physical or intensive. What has changed is that they have upgraded the quality of their players in general which can only help them progress. Then they have shored up their former deficiencies which among others were being able to adjust the tempo(ie.no more headless chicken) and when doing so, being able to keep the ball.

In terms of tactics and defensive play England has been the best place to be in the last 5-6 years. Which isn't too strange since they have adopted the best coaches from all over. Spalletti noted after Man Utd won 2-0 in the QF's Rome in 2008 that Man Utd were more Italian then they were which is quite true and has been true when describing Liverpool and Chelsea in the past 5-6 years of Cl.

England has improved their technique and tactics to the point where they can now compete with Spain and Italy. Of course you could argue that Spanish football and Italiian football was more technical still but the point is that England bridged the gap enough so it isn't a flaw in the English game while retaining their surperiority in athleticism. I have not really seen either Italian or Spanish teams try to improve that side of their game in any big way. Sevilla is the exception but they generally play a very British style anyhow. Otherwise both Italian and Spanish clubs have been too slow to recognize that they need to change.

I used to rant about how terrible this is and how Cl is ruined but I don't particularly care anymore. Other teams simply have to realise that football has changed and jump on the bandwagon. I can still enjoy Cl games mightly and it is possible to win even when you don't try to make any concessions as Milan did in 2007 with a old team that were so great in technique and tactics that they made up for it. However those victories will be more rare. I do believe that Italy has reached their low point already and are steadily climbing.
Red n' Black

Number of posts : 1499
Supports : AC Milan
Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by Red n' Black on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:51 pm

From the official website:

Over 25 glorious and prestigious years, including 26 trophies in Italy, Europe and worldwide, there have been a good 75 honours for the team and individuals to render Milan unique and unrepeatable.

(THANK YOU PRESIDENT)

MILAN - Our President purchased Milan on February 20th, 1986. Tomorrow, February 20th, 2011, Milan's Silvio Berlusconi is celebrating the silver wedding with the glory and triumph.

The family silver is vast:
13 EURO-WORLD TROPHIES: 2 Intercontinental Cups (1989 and 1990); 1 FIFA Club World Cup (2007); 5 Champions Cup/Champions League (1989, 1990, 1994, 2003, 2007); 5 European Super Cup (1989, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2007).

13 ITALIAN TROPHIES: 7 Titles (1988, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004); 1 Italian Cup (2003); 5 League Super Cups (1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 2004).

7 EURO-WORLD FINALS: 3 Champions Cup/Champions League (1993, 1995, 2005); 3 Intercontinental Cups (1993, 1994, 2003); 1 European Super Cup (1994).

9 LEAGUE PODIUMS : 4 tims runners-up (1990, 1991, 2005, 2006), 5 times 3rd (1989, 2000, 2003, 2009, 2010)

2 EUROPEAN SEMI-FINALS: Uefa Cup (2002) and Champions League (2006).

12 SEMI AND ITALIAN FINALS: 2 Italian Cups (1990, 1998), 2 League Super Cups (1996, 1999), 8 Italian Cups Semi-finals (1991, 1992, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2011 at the semi-finals stage).

7 BALLON D'ORO: (1987-Gullit; 1988, 1989, 1992-Van Basten; 1995-Weah; 2003-Shevchenko; 2007-Kak).

3 FIFA WORLD PLAYER: (1992-Van Basten, 1995-Weah, 2007-Kak)

6 PODIUM BALLON D'ORO: (1988- Gullit 2'; 1989- F.Baresi 2' and Rijkaard 3'; 1994, 2003- P.Maldini 3'; 2000- Shevchenko 3').

3 PODIUM FIFA WORLD PLAYER: (1995- P.Maldini 2'; 1996- Weah 2'; 2004- Shevchenko 3').

While I do not agree with his actions on a personal level and I have criticised him many times(and still do) for neglecting Milan in the latter years, this is nevertheless the 25th anniversary since the man essentially rescued Milan from it's lowest point and transformed it into Europe's most dominant team throughout this period.

Therefore, as a fan of this club, GRAZIE PRESIDENTE.
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:There has been movements in both English and Italian football that has lead to the equilibrium we are enjoying(or not enjoying) today. Like TRWP(Noah) said English football has always been physical or intensive. What has changed is that they have upgraded the quality of their players in general which can only help them progress. Then they have shored up their former deficiencies which among others were being able to adjust the tempo(ie.no more headless chicken) and when doing so, being able to keep the ball.

In terms of tactics and defensive play England has been the best place to be in the last 5-6 years. Which isn't too strange since they have adopted the best coaches from all over. Spalletti noted after Man Utd won 2-0 in the QF's Rome in 2008 that Man Utd were more Italian then they were which is quite true and has been true when describing Liverpool and Chelsea in the past 5-6 years of Cl.

England has improved their technique and tactics to the point where they can now compete with Spain and Italy. Of course you could argue that Spanish football and Italiian football was more technical still but the point is that England bridged the gap enough so it isn't a flaw in the English game while retaining their surperiority in athleticism. I have not really seen either Italian or Spanish teams try to improve that side of their game in any big way. Sevilla is the exception but they generally play a very British style anyhow. Otherwise both Italian and Spanish clubs have been too slow to recognize that they need to change.

I used to rant about how terrible this is and how Cl is ruined but I don't particularly care anymore. Other teams simply have to realise that football has changed and jump on the bandwagon. I can still enjoy Cl games mightly and it is possible to win even when you don't try to make any concessions as Milan did in 2007 with a old team that were so great in technique and tactics that they made up for it. However those victories will be more rare. I do believe that Italy has reached their low point already and are steadily climbing.

Whilst I think that there are exceptions to the rule.

I think it is roughly true to say:

Italy and Spain - better technique than England but physically poor.

England outside top 4-6: mainly physical play with some dreadful teams.

England top 4 + Barca - excellent blend of pace and ability.

There will be exceptions, like I say - Coloccini, Milijas etc but generally I think that's how things are.

Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
Super Laudrup wrote:There has been movements in both English and Italian football that has lead to the equilibrium we are enjoying(or not enjoying) today. Like TRWP(Noah) said English football has always been physical or intensive. What has changed is that they have upgraded the quality of their players in general which can only help them progress. Then they have shored up their former deficiencies which among others were being able to adjust the tempo(ie.no more headless chicken) and when doing so, being able to keep the ball.

There will be exceptions, like I say - Coloccini, Milijas etc but generally I think that's how things are.

I think that Inter last season would belong to that list as well but Im not sure if it still applies with Leonardo this year. I think Real Madrid will be the next team to join this list if Mourinho stays. If Juventus got the right coach and a good director of sports they would be more suited since they already have the physical players but they lack a couple of talents(Pastore Whistle ).
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:50 pm

I don't think Inter had much ability and only Eto'o and Maicon had pace.

I think Inter did well 'cos they actually played an Italian style game.

Villarreal played old school Italian last time they were at OT but no one really mentioned it 'cos they're Spanish and known for playing attacking football.

Pellegrini obviously knew that if he committed men forward United would rape them on the counter so they played very negative.

Villarreal got four 0-0's from United Shocked

United struggled greatly against Lille who kept loads of men behind the ball too.

So it could be argued that sides still really struggle against Italian style regardless of whether its played by Italians/Spaniards/Frenchmen.

If Italians want to compete v the English they have to change transfer policies or go back to their roots.
Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:

Good posts, can't disagree.

Although I think people often confuse speed with lack of technique - it's as though players or teams must stroke the ball around at a nonchalant/slow pace to be truly "technical", whilst playing at pace clouds the potential of a side to play with technique.

Hence why some people seem, rather oddly, to suggest a player like Messi isn't truly technically gifted like past greats, because he plays at speed (which is a "physical" trait). Infact, if anything, being able to play at pace and still dribble or shoot or pass accurately like Messi or Bale is actually a more difficult technical trait to pull off than a Berbatov or Ibrahimovic type player who strolls around the pitch picking off admittedly fine passes, but at a standing pace.

Which is why, imo, Italian teams are so often lauded as technically gifted, yet seem incapable of pulling off cohesive, quality football at pace.

Spanish teams in contrast, seem more capable, hence why I believe Spanish sides are the best technically.

Italian sides have still proven pedigree tactically (Inter last year), but clearly their has been a stalling in the coaching in Italy. TS is right - the best model for them to follow is the Spanish one.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22997
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 pm

To me, a lot of this discussion is just intellectual masturbation. Not saying its incorrect, some of the above posts are based on valid viewpoints, but a lot of it are attempts to force fit complex theories to facts, when more likely scenarios may be much simpler. IMO its about money. Serie A just does not have the financial clout it had in the 90s. Hence the quality of players has gradually reduced, reaching a low point somewhere near mid-2000s. Thats why Italian teams cannot stand up to the "pace of EPL", or the "skill of La Liga", or the "efficiency of Bundesliga", etc etc. Lack of sufficient quality. Thats all there is too it. For eg, look at Milan's defence now (Antonini-Thiago-Nesta-Abate) and compate it with early 90s (Maldini-Baresi-Costacurta-Panucci), its pretty clear. That defence did not have too much pace in it either, but believe me, it could handle pace better than most modern defences around...

However, the quality in the league is now increasing, slowly... Hopefully the bigger teams will start consolidating the talent of the league soon, so the performances in Europe will improve. Not by copying the style of the Spanish or the English, but in a way only Italians know how to play...
Red n' Black

Post by Red n' Black on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:54 pm

For me, the biggest surprise of the season, as far as Milan is concerned. Not even the most optimistic fan would have anticipated the improvement in Abate's game over one single season.

A natural winger/midfielder with great pace, he really wasn't very convincing or comfortable in the back last season as Milan tried to convert him into a RB. But this year, he has been 10 times better. Much improved defensive play(lately he even bailed out Silva/Nesta a few times as well with crucial interceptions/reading of the game) and more composed going forward. He won't ever be Cafu, but he has already established himself as a solid first team player and it's great to see a product of our academy making it all the way to the first team and doing well.

As far as yesterday's concerned, this is probably the first time in years that we have exited a competition but I do not feel like we need a massive overhaul to fix things.

As of this season we are on the ascendancy after reaching a very low point, and if the good work continues next summer we will be a lot stronger.

The contracts of the following players expire:

Roma
Jankulovski
Nesta
Ambrosini
Pirlo
Seedorf
Van Bommell
Inzaghi
Legrotagglie

Jankulovksi, Roma and I think Legro are definitely goners, while I expect the club to retain Nesta, Pirlo, Van Bommel and possibly Ambrosini. Seedorf is looking very unlikely and I have no clue about Inzaghi.

I expect that our team will look more or less like this before any transfers in/out:

GK: Abbiati, Amelia(?)

Defence: Nesta, Thiago Silva, Yepes, Sokratis, Bonera, Abate, Zambrotta, Antonini, Didac Vila, Oddo.

Midfield: Pirlo, Boateng, Gattuso, Van Bommel, Flamini, Emanuelson, Merkel, Strasser, Ambrosini

Strikers: Ibrahimovic, Pato, Cassano, Robinho, Inzaghi(?)

3-4 quality additions(2 midfielders, CB and LB) and we will be on the right path.
Murray

Number of posts : 10197

Post by Murray on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Reports about Kaka going back to Milan. That would be a big mistake.

http://www.football-italia.net/mar10r.html
Red n' Black

Post by Red n' Black on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah I know, I'd be disappointed if we brought him back - he has been injured for the best part of the last two years and already injury prone before he left Milan.

Not to mention he is better suited in playing a more forward rather than a trequartista role and we have forwards in abundance.

What we need is a technically competent all around midfielder who can play the mezzala role and a creative attacking midfielder to play in the hole behind 2 strikers. Kaka returning wouldn't be a right move even if he came for a ridiculous price like 5M or something.

Ganso please(dream signing) Very Happy
Red n' Black

Post by Red n' Black on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Blog: Mythbusters

They may have failed to reach the Quarter Finals but Milan shattered some stereotypes, according to Scott Fleming

Glorious failure was once the preserve of the Scottish national team. Now it seems Milan are getting in on the act.

There are some that will refute that observation straight off the bat, that will argue it's a disgrace for the Serie A leaders to be eliminated from the Champions League by a team sat 5th in the Premier League. Those people are living in the past. In 2008 to be precise, when Milan were reigning champions of Europe and Harry Redknapp took charge of a Tottenham side bottom of the table.

Once they were the butt of every joke, perennial underachievers, but Spurs are now one of the growing powers in European football. Luka Modric, Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Rafael van der Vaart - these players would walk into just about any team on the planet.

Premier League clubs in general have a considerably larger bank balance and talent pool than their Serie A counterparts, and have done for some time. Does that make it the more entertaining and interesting league? I would suggest it doesn't, but that's an argument for another day.

Not that Italy's representatives should accept defeat to English clubs as inevitable, but we could do without the mock outrage when it does happen.

Whilst Milan need not be ashamed by their elimination, they should be frustrated and disappointed, by their first leg performance in particular. Not just because it gave them a mountain to climb but because it fuelled the myth of the Giuseppe Meazza nursing home, feeding the old stereotypes, that Milan are ageing, slow, and predictable. Stereotypes that were shattered within minutes of kick off last night at White Hart Lane. You could hear the shock in the commentator's voices. Here was a Diavolo that attacked with pace, verve and vigour, that refused to conform to outdated perceptions, that contained several players under the age of 25 and brought a 19-year-old and a 20-year-old off the bench.

Unfortunately for the Rossoneri, their first half performance was so good that they simply assumed the goal would come, and slacked off in the second half. The biggest problem though, as it has been all season, was missed chances, and the biggest culprit, as he has been all season, was Robinho. The praise for William Gallas's goal line clearance let Roby off the hook, because he shouldn't have scuffed his finish in the first place.

So Milan are out, but they'll be back next year, and they'll bring Alexandre Pato, Rodney Strasser and Alexander Merkel with them. Not quite a nursery, but not a nursing home either.[b]
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 am

Good article.

Whilst everyone was telling me that we had drawn an ageing, "worst Milan side in decades" (courtesy of a few Arsenal supporting friends of mine attempting another desperate scrounge at belittling our CL achievements) and that we'd walk the second leg, I KNEW the Milan sides we'd played in the first leg were a shadow of what they were capable of. As 'Arry so perfectly put it, we weren't playing Raggy Arsed Rovers, this was a team top of Serie A.

So, to me, it wasn't suprising to see how Milan played in that first half.

Sadly, it's often difficult for football fans/pundits/media alike to look past the last game.

Just like we're now a shit-on-a-stick-defensive-park-the-bus-long-ball-team according to some because we didn't show the attacking ability expected of us at home for the first time in the competition. God forbid that the combination of Milan's excellence and the psychological burden of being 1-0 up (attack? defend?) resulted in us playing unspectacularly.

Milan will be okay. Of course they will be.

Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:41 am

Not quite sure about shit on stick football(I differ with bobo here), but you're a long ball team whenever Crouch starts. To say otherwise tantamount to Gibsons' holocaust denial.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Fenomeno wrote:Not quite sure about shit on stick football(I differ with bobo here), but you're a long ball team whenever Crouch starts. To say otherwise tantamount to Gibsons' holocaust denial.

Crouch started against Inter at WHL - no one accused us of being a long ball team then.

You're right to a degree - when Crouch plays we do play more long passes. But, diagonal balls aren't the same as aimless hoofs up the field; on most good days we mix it up enough so that whilst there are some balls to Crouch, there is a lot of passing/wingplay in midfield. Infact, Milan played in the first half very much like we played against Inter, and most teams up until now in the CL - they hit a lot of measured balls up to Ibrahimovic in the first half, but also played it wide and with variety.

On this occasion we over relied on balls to Crouch, and it is something that needs addressing. But a long ball team?! We're not Stoke City.
Red n' Black

Post by Red n' Black on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:07 am

Nesta confirmed he is staying for next season + Mexes announced he is leaving Roma - according to most sources it is certain that he will join Milan this summer.

So next year at CB we'll have Nesta, Thiago Silva, Mexes, Yepes, Sokratis, Bonera? I expect either Sokratis will be loaned out(more likely), or Bonera sold.

At LB our target is supposedly Taiwo of Marseille.

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Ibra suspended for three games.
Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:13 pm

We Want 5! wrote:Good article.

Whilst everyone was telling me that we had drawn an ageing, "worst Milan side in decades" (courtesy of a few Arsenal supporting friends of mine attempting another desperate scrounge at belittling our CL achievements) and that we'd walk the second leg, I KNEW the Milan sides we'd played in the first leg were a shadow of what they were capable of. As 'Arry so perfectly put it, we weren't playing Raggy Arsed Rovers, this was a team top of Serie A.

So, to me, it wasn't suprising to see how Milan played in that first half.

Sadly, it's often difficult for football fans/pundits/media alike to look past the last game.

Just like we're now a shit-on-a-stick-defensive-park-the-bus-long-ball-team according to some because we didn't show the attacking ability expected of us at home for the first time in the competition. God forbid that the combination of Milan's excellence and the psychological burden of being 1-0 up (attack? defend?) resulted in us playing unspectacularly.

Milan will be okay. Of course they will be.

Sorry only just saw this... but you're not getting away with this that easily, given that you yourself belittled our achievement in eliminating the then European champions a finer team than the current lot, improving though they are 2-0 on their own turf, in perhaps our finest performance of recent years, three years ago.

But some excellent chat about evolving styles and philosophies on this thread, good stuff. There is, perhaps, a happy medium between the Powerfuball of United, Chelsea and Liverpool two years ago and the slower, technical, less physical former Serie A ideal. It's interesting that even now physical stature and muscle is what Arsenal are often criticized for lacking in the middle/back of the park... Doh

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:15 pm

@Allez

It is arguable whether or not this Milan side is inferior to the one from 2007. It's certainly not a closed case.

We had an inspired Kaka' during that year, who has been unable to replicate that form since. But there was a feeling that taking Kaka' away would take away half of our team. Seedorf, Inzaghi, and Pirlo inspired at different stages, but the team was built around Kaka'.

The current set-up is a much more functional team, and our league showing bears that out. We have managed to hold on to the summit fairly consistently, and even with Ibra gone we managed to win the derby. Our loss to Tottenham was decided by one mistake, and Allegri's inexperience in Europe. Let's see how things pan out next year.
Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:21 pm

Fair enough. I've been impressed to see Milan back this season (the last derby was great fun), but still wouldn't put the team on the level with those two very tough games we had in the CL in '08 getting past that side felt like a great achievement, even if they in turn weren't quite on a level with the '05/'06 team.

Why do you spell Kaka with an apostrophe at the end by the way? Looks very odd. Isn't it Kak (acute accent)?

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:Fair enough. I've been impressed to see Milan back this season (the last derby was great fun), but still wouldn't put the team on the level with those two very tough games we had in the CL in '08 getting past that side felt like a great achievement, even if they in turn weren't quite on a level with the '05/'06 team.

Why do you spell Kaka with an apostrophe at the end by the way? Looks very odd. Isn't it Kak (acute accent)?

It is, and I don't know why I have picked up that bad habit. I should be more reverential to the player that spent his best years at Milan.
Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Biggrin Ale
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueo, Redondo, Ral, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:10 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/12/silvio-berlusconi-milan-cristiano-ronaldo

bounce

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Jaime wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/12/silvio-berlusconi-milan-cristiano-ronaldo

bounce

Even when Berlusconi is doing his best impression of Roman Calderon he comes across as more senile than he did.

It's sad.

This move is impossible for many reasons:

1) Real are a bigger club and have more resources
2) La Liga is a more attractive league than Serie A
3) Mourinho
4) Ronaldo is happy there

I think the closest we're going to get to Ronaldo is when he testifies in court in the Berlusconi case (it was rumoured that he was going to).

Last edited by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Biggrin Ale
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueo, Redondo, Ral, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
Even when Berlusconi is doing his best impression of Roman Calderon he comes across as more senile than he did.

It's sad.

lol!

This move is impossible for many reasons:

1) Real are a bigger club and have more resources
2) La Liga is a more attractive league than Serie A
3) Mourinho
4) Ronaldo is happy there

I think the closest we're going to get to Ronaldo is when he testifies in court in the Berlusconi case (it was rumoured that he was going to).

1. Not really bigger.
2. Maybe but I think Ronaldo will get bored of Spain eventually.
3. Might not even be back next year.
4. Ronaldo is happy wherever there are lots of pretty girls.
Murray

Number of posts : 10197

Post by Murray on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:56 pm

It's not going to happen, Berlusconi is just trying to divert attention from all his court cases.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:58 am