AC Milan 2010-11

Re: AC Milan 2010-11

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:41 am

who is this Sokratis guy, that seems to be popping up in every one prospect milan XI, his he from milan's youth set up?.

I think that 4-2-3-1 system will work in most games, but will come undone against the better teams.

Not a lot of tracking back from that front 4 and pirlo doesn't have the legs to run all over the pitch for 90 minutes.

that said, I loved the style of play that I saw against lecce.
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:22 am

No, he's a 22 year old Greek defender, signed from Genoa. Full name is Sokratis Papastathopoulos, so you can see why they just go with the first name Smile
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Mller, Gtze, Neuer, Gndogan
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Kroos on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:11 am

i dont think robinho was really needed

when was the last time he was a great player, or was he ever a great player!!

failed at city and real, his attitude seems to be very shit and his style is simply not good enough for the modern game

he gets 27 in january, and has never set the football world into lights
Pirlo

Number of posts : 2750
Supports : AC Milan
Favourite Player : Andrea Pirlo, Maldini, Costacurta, Nesta, Redondo, Rui Costa, R. Baggio, Sheva, Boban, Albertini, Seedorf, Kaka!

Post by Pirlo on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:45 am

Well we'll see but Allegri has great success in playing expansive systems with Cagliari and producing good football, and he's very good man manager and working with youngsters, so much that Pato was very enthusiastic about working with him.

Sokratis is solid, very happy with this signing, his versatility across the back is useful but we are more than compensated with central defenders so i expect him to play at right-back with Bonera/Oddo as deputies.

Dinho was an absolute joy and pleasure to watch, his application, physicality, speed and movements were completely more energised than anything he has produced at Milan yet. He was tracking back and helping the system, tackling, holding players off, his entire mentality and mood and that of the team has really been lifted this pre-season, the three week fitness camp looks to have prodced a more steady Milan, and the whole squad and stadium was boosted by Zlatan's signing. Finally we are back to having a great offence, and if Nesta stays fit, two of the best central defenders in football.

Dinho v Lecce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxruV8yzZn0

Match highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4LHU5Zqz4
Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:06 am

Looks like Dinho has remembered he can run. Exciting stuff, Forza Milan.
Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:43 pm

fcb wrote:No, he's a 22 year old Greek defender, signed from Genoa. Full name is Sokratis Papastathopoulos, so you can see why they just go with the first name :)

Is this the guy who man-marked Messi in the world cup.
Red n' Black

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by Red n' Black on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:45 pm

yeah, it's him
DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
Supports : Celta Vigo
Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valern, Ral
Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Khadrim wrote:
fcb wrote:No, he's a 22 year old Greek defender, signed from Genoa. Full name is Sokratis Papastathopoulos, so you can see why they just go with the first name Smile

Is this the guy who man-marked Messi in the world cup.

Da.
Red n' Black

Post by Red n' Black on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:30 am

So apparently Coates will join after all, but in January. Great move for the future if it materialises, he's only 19, already an international with Uruguay and physically imposing.
Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
Favourite Player : Scholes
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:14 am

Red n' Black wrote:So apparently Coates will join after all, but in January. Great move for the future if it materialises, he's only 19, already an international with Uruguay and physically imposing.

Our next Coloccini? Rolling Eyes
DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
Supports : Celta Vigo
Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valern, Ral
Registration date : 2006-08-10

Post by DeLux on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Wrong country.
Pirlo

Favourite Player : Andrea Pirlo, Maldini, Costacurta, Nesta, Redondo, Rui Costa, R. Baggio, Sheva, Boban, Albertini, Seedorf, Kaka!

Post by Pirlo on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Red n' Black wrote:So apparently Coates will join after all, but in January. Great move for the future if it materialises, he's only 19, already an international with Uruguay and physically imposing.

Where have you heard this? Great news if true, Juve, Palermo and Inter were tracking him before the World Cup.
Red n' Black

Post by Red n' Black on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:42 pm

read it on milannews.it, a couple of days ago.

they didn't say it is official or something, but from what I understood it's pretty likely.
Pirlo

Post by Pirlo on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Big rumours going round on local radio that Milan are taking Coates in january as well as Poli from Samp cheers bounce
Cheb Hamouda

Number of posts : 421
Favourite Player : Pirlo, Nesta, Pique, Kaka, T. Silva, Sneijder
Registration date : 2010-08-08

Post by Cheb Hamouda on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:20 am

I only saw glimpses of Poli but I liked his calmness and good decision making, the kind of player that belongs for us.
Pirlo

Post by Pirlo on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 am

Expected team v Cesena, will Allegri play the 'fantastic four'?

Seedorf has a problem, so Boateng could step into midfield for this match, be interesting to see if Allegri pursues his favoured 4-3-3 or inserts the 4-2-3-1 and plays Flamini and Ambrosini behind the fantastic four.

In terms of the opponet, the ever-young Antonioli is the sort of keeper that will pull his lifetimes performance out in big matches and Schelotto is going to cause us problmes with his pace on the counter attack - if he can tear his face away from the mirror that is. Colucci is a tidy player and Appiah has the physical strength to compete but his technical side has dropped off massively in recent years, they have some players who can cause problems - LuisJimenez who really doesn't want to be here! , Fabio Caserta who is a bit of a late-bloomer, Budan if he plays or Bogdnai.

We should win, and well given our abundance of class in attack, i hope for another 4-0 and another great footballing performance, but three points will be a more valued prize.

Cheb Hamouda

Post by Cheb Hamouda on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:03 am

I hope Bogdani plays for Cesena, he really sucks!
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:43 am

Pirlo wrote:Expected team v Cesena, will Allegri play the 'fantastic four'?
Unlikely, but I hope he does... it will be fun to watch. Not sure how effective it will be, 4 lazy players upfront... may work against small sides tho.

There probably is more likelyhood of Robinho starting from the bench... hope he starts grumbling Wink And hope he re-introduces Dinho to beer, and they take young Pato along when they go partying samba style Razz

Jokes aside, your team looks formidable now. Serie A race is wide open this season.
Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
Favourite Player : Scholes
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am

bluenine wrote:
Unlikely, but I hope he does... it will be fun to watch. Not sure how effective it will be, 4 lazy players upfront... may work against small sides tho.

There probably is more likelyhood of Robinho starting from the bench... hope he starts grumbling Wink And hope he re-introduces Dinho to beer, and they take young Pato along when they go partying samba style Razz

Jokes aside, your team looks formidable now. Serie A race is wide open this season.

You've been saying this since the first day Dinho arrived, bluey Mad

Cheb Hamouda

Post by Cheb Hamouda on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:36 am

bluenine wrote:

I bet you do, but not because its fun, more because theres a bigger chance we drop points this way. We should use the fantastic four only when we want to force a win, like how Mourinho played Etoo, Milito, Pandev and Balotelli at the same time to force the opposition back.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:14 pm

SLG wrote:
bluenine wrote:

You've been saying this since the first day Dinho arrived, bluey Mad

And so far, Dinho has not disappointed with his lifestyle Razz

He does look much fitter this season tho... perhaps the world cup snub was a wake up jolt for him. Moratti should arrange for free party trips for Adriano in Milan, maybe he can "help" three quarters of your fantastic four Wink
Red n' Black

Post by Red n' Black on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:25 pm

Allegri: 'Milan lack team ethic'

Massimiliano Allegri hopes the drubbing in Cesena can teach Milan a valuable lesson. You can have stars, but without a team ethic youll get nowhere.

The Rossoneri gave Zlatan Ibrahimovic his debut, but were beaten 2-0 by the minnows who were playing their first Serie A home game in 19 years.

Its difficult to find positives from this game. We hadnt started too badly, but we knew Cesena were strong on the counter, said Allegri.

The second goal was the real blow, as to concede like that on the counter-attack from our own set play was disappointing.

We werent organised enough and didnt move the ball around cleanly, wandering around the field without a specific plan in mind.

I tried the new players who just arrived, but thats no excuse. We were simply lacking in grit. This system requires everyone to work for everyone else, its something Ive been trying to tell the team since the day I took over at Milan.

The entire Cesena squad was bought for less than Ibrahimovics salary.

Cesena play with real enthusiasm and if we allow them to do what they do best, we risk collapsing. Thats what happened tonight. To win in Italy and in Europe, we need a different attitude, continued Allegri.

When going behind and things become difficult, we have to work even harder. We cant always think the other guy is going to solve the problem and sort things out.

I always say every game starts at 0-0 and there are no easy teams to beat in Italy. We saw the proof of that tonight.

Inter are now top of the table alongside Cesena and Cagliari on four points, so are Milan still favourites for the Scudetto?

I dont think we were ahead of Inter a week ago and were not behind them now. Of course Im the first to be angry about this defeat, but it can do us good, as itll show us that a game must be won on the field as a team unit.

You can have all the stars that you want, but without that team ethic, youll get nowhere.
Pirlo

Post by Pirlo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:01 pm

It will take time to work with integrating Ibra and Robinho into Allegri's system, learning when to defend, when to stay higher, how the movement off the forwards and midfield works so i'm not surprised at the performance, we've been bad away from home for a few months and Cesena are the type of team we struggle against - those who pack their team into 25 yards of space and counter-attack.

Cesena played very well, they defended the movement off the forwards brilliantly, and they used the appalling positioning of Bonera and Antonini to behind the full-backs easily. A shame Yepes was injured otherwise Bogdani would have had nothing all evening, moving Sokratis into the middle was a massive error by Allegri, the first goal was down to his positioning within the unit, when Cesena overloaded by adding an extra width to their front three, everyone in the defence shifted across to compensate apart from Sokratis who let Bogdani9 get across him. Same goals every time we conceede, surely the coaches must have noticed this so i prefer to accuse certain defenders of just being stupid. Second goal was a great strike but again, you dont need two defenders racing to cut off one attacker, best that Thiago or Sokratis had positioned themselves between the point of strike and Abbiati and the goal is easily prevented.

The attack was unable to make nice moves owing to the strength of the defensive co-ordination of Cesena, no room to play off and move. Having said that, there were some great initiatives from Ibra and Pato and i think both played well. Accusations of 'laziness' at Ibra are cliched and boring. Pato regularly makes space for himself with his acceleration and touch and was easily hitting the line.

For all our faults and poor defending, we had two legal goals disallowed, 5 shocking offside calls by the blind linesman and missed a well-struck penalty by a matter of inches, on another day with better luck and better officiating we win 3-2 away to Cesena which is a good result, so i'm not worried at all nor should we panic, no-one else in the league who will be challenging for lo Scudetto looks unbeatable or worries me at all, we do some work on the training ground in integrating the forwards, improve tactically and we're fine, just had some bad moments and bad luck last night.
Red n' Black

Post by Red n' Black on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Good post man, I was gonna comment on Ibra-Pato as well, they linked up very well and I believe in a couple of months they will form a formidable partnership.

A bit upset about those offside calls/disallowed goal as well, but what can you do, shit happens.

I really do believe that if we had one midfielder who could support the attackers(be it Clarence or Boateng), they result might have been entirely different. Especially in the first half, Ibra linked up very well with Gattuso who was making forward runs, but we can't expect Rino to actually be an attacking/creative outlet. That's why I don't like the idea of playing Ambro&Rino together, with Pirlo sitting deep. There is simply no support from midfield this way.

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Pirlo wrote:
For all our faults and poor defending, we had two legal goals disallowed, 5 shocking offside calls by the blind linesman and missed a well-struck penalty by a matter of inches, on another day with better luck and better officiating we win 3-2 away to Cesena which is a good result, so i'm not worried at all nor should we panic, no-one else in the league who will be challenging for lo Scudetto looks unbeatable or worries me at all, we do some work on the training ground in integrating the forwards, improve tactically and we're fine, just had some bad moments and bad luck last night.
A good post, Pirlo, except for that last paragraph. I am not buying the "we wuz robbed" scenario. Cesena thoroughly deserved their win for me. Sure, there were 3 poor offside/handball calls against you, but all of them were quite close calls, and at least one of those two resulting disallowed goals were scored after the Cesena GK stopped playing. And you forget the other side of the story, poor calls against Cesena... one can argue whether or not Dinho deserved a straight red for his offence (most refs would ve given a red had they seen it), but there is little doubt that Ambrosini deserved a second yellow. With better officiating, you also could be been down to 9 men.

From what I saw in the game, Cesena outplayed Milan and deserved their win. Just like Bologna thoroughly deserved their point against Inter in week 1, due to the super heroics of their young keeper. Sure, its early days yet and there were a lot of encouraging signs for Milan fans in the game... Pato for one... but pls don't blame poor officiating coz that went both ways.

Anyways, I am enjoying the start to Serie A.... the smaller sides are showing exactly what we ve been saying - the league has excellent strength in depth. Thats what makes Serie A so much fun!
Cheb Hamouda

Post by Cheb Hamouda on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:17 am

One thing that worried me was that Ronaldinho role as the go to figure in attack seemed less important now that Ibrahimovic is there, every ball forwards seems to go to Ibra who is a playmaker himself while Ronaldinho looks isolated on the left wing. I think Pato and Ibra can make great things together but I dont see how Ibra and Ronnie can play well together if Ibra keeps dropping back like this.

I think next season we will sell Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovic is not the type of player to play in a 3 man attack, because he plays several roles so its better to have him and Pato upfront and put some strng midfielders behind them like Sneijder or Lampard.

I think Ronaldinho should not remain on the left too often, he needs to adapt more to playing in the center if he wants to see more of the ball, he must also shoot more often.

I like how Pato plays more central, he has amazing dribbling technique to come inside and he now anticipates passes to the center rather than remaining on the wing like last year.

Liedholm

Number of posts : 3
Supports : Milan
Favourite Player : Ibra, Inzaghi
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Liedholm on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Agree. The problem with Ibra in Barca was that they (Barca) had this fixed idea that he should be their "number 9". But Ibra is not a classical first striker. He is a second striker who is at his best when he has a first striker as partner (Larsson/Trezeguet/Crespo/Adriano). Having Ibra pouch in the box is to waste his talent.

When Mourinho tried 4-3-3 with Ibra it didnt work so he reverted to 4-4-2 and benched Mancini and Quaresma. The question is if Milan is going to have the same problem as Barca to fit Ibra into a 4-3-3? Perhaps it's better to play Pato in the middle and have Ibra on the flank?
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Liedholm wrote:Agree. The problem with Ibra in Barca was that they (Barca) had this fixed idea that he should be their "number 9". But Ibra is not a classical first striker. He is a second striker who is at his best when he has a first striker as partner (Larsson/Trezeguet/Crespo/Adriano). Having Ibra pouch in the box is to waste his talent.

When Mourinho tried 4-3-3 with Ibra it didnt work so he reverted to 4-4-2 and benched Mancini and Quaresma. The question is if Milan is going to have the same problem as Barca to fit Ibra into a 4-3-3? Perhaps it's better to play Pato in the middle and have Ibra on the flank?
ok
Been saying the same thing and even taking account for the fact that Ibrahimovic is better then Boriello I expect that by the end of the season Ibrahimovic will struggle to make the system work like Boriello did. Milan should have gone for Adebayor who is an big improvement on Boriello instead of going for a different type all together who had just failed in a similar role for his previous club.

Still not sure about Pato playing in the middle though. I still think he is best when he can make runs from the right where Ronaldinho can find him plus Milan needs somebody on the wing like Pato who is willing to work defensively. I fully expect Milan to struggle against high quality or just tactically aware teams. Hopefully im wrong but I can't see why this will work for Milan.

Are you a new poster?
Liedholm

Number of posts : 3
Supports : Milan
Favourite Player : Ibra, Inzaghi
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by Liedholm on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

I posted a couple of years ago under the name of Wassberg, but was unable to log in, so now I'm Liedholm. Very Happy

I think Milan should try Pato in the middle. It has been said that Ibra lost his place in Barca when it was discovered that Barca played best when Messi played as a "false 9". Because it was thought that Ibra can only play as a "9", he was dropped. Pato has some of Messi's qualities (dribbling), but is also more of a traditional striker. Ibra, il Genio, is the player that any team that aspires for artistic greatness should always keep on the field.

Most important, though, that Milan keeps the positions flexible. In Barca Ibra was resigned to be the pole in the box while the inner circle was supposed to do the playing. They didn't pass the ball to him, and after six months he lost all his confidence. This is the reason why he now so ostentaciously drops into the field to get the ball, in Milan and in the Swedish national team. It is to recover his spirit and his skills.
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:29 pm

If you want your old account password re-setting PM me and i'll do it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:16 am