La Liga 2010/11 Season Thread

Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: La Liga 2010/11 Season Thread

Post by Fey on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Was watching some of the Madrid game cause it came right after the AWESOME EPL, and Almere deserved the point they got. At first I thought it was quite rude of them to take the lead against a top2 team, but Madrid didnt create too many chances ,as so often, and the equalizer was a bit late so the draw made sense. Benzema is shite though.

Meanwhile Barca already 1-0 up cause of a great Iniesta goal. 100.000 people yet I can hear a needle drop. No

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Villa 2-0 another assist this season for messi, the man is becoming more complete each season
31 goals 16 assist amazing stuff
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:33 pm

This is gay.

Barca reached such a high level, (or opponents being that bad) that their matches are unwatchable for neutrals.

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 pm

3-0 pedro, beautiful pass by messi
Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 pm

10 goals in his last 10 matches for Pedro. Fair play. I wonder if Bojan looks at Pedro from the bench and wonders, "how the fuck did this happen?"

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Hlebagone wrote:10 goals in his last 10 matches for Pedro. Fair play. I wonder if Bojan looks at Pedro from the bench and wonders, "how the fuck did this happen?"
lol! i really think he does

still believe in him though
Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Good freekick, but villa's fault.

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:52 pm

it ends 4-1, afellay look good when he came on
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:33 am

Cristiano wrote:
fcb wrote:Or maybe you are not that good?

Poor 1-on-1 defending from Madrid today, and generally sub-par performance as well. No way you should be drawing against Almeria, they were at sixes-and-sevens throughout the match.

I bet Mourinho won't mention this though, instead him and his sycophants at Marca will moan about the ref and like you said - about how the small teams apparently only try against Madrid Rolling Eyes

One of the English writers on La Liga made a good point the other day - Madrid seem incapable of scoring unless they work themselves into a desperate frenzy, flying at the opposition goal with 100% energy.

Sleep

Tell me something i dont know. I am well aware of our many flaws.

You cant deny that the effort Almeria put into this game is much greater than against Barca. Thats the point i was making. Against Barca teams have already lost the match in the tunnel, against us they know they got a better chance of winning than against Barca.

And no its not an excuse, we have a lot of issues to sort out first with our team.

I know you are aware of your flaws, I remember you posting about it last week. Which is why I'm surprised that you resorted to the kind of initial post you made - full of bitterness, a la Mourinho.

How do you know teams put more effort in against Madrid, and/or lose the game in the tunnel before playing Barça? Are you in the tunnel with them, feeling their nerves? Do you have access to the "kilometres run" and "calories burnt" stats for these teams?

It's an utterly nonsense excuse, and a ridiculous claim to make against the professionalism of other teams. No wonder so many La Liga managers spoke out against Mourinho and in favour of Preciado.

Clearly, it has much more to do with Madrid or Barça's own performances. Barça are playing at their best right now, and start off games keeping possession of the ball, and usually score pretty early.

So even if the opposition have started well, being organised in defense and aggressive in attack, eventually they tire and lose confidence because they are chasing the ball all over the pitch but never get it, and concede goals early. And when they do win the ball, they lose it again in less than 3-4 touches, so even their attackers get frustrated.

On the other hand, as we saw in yesterday's game, Madrid didn't play at their best, and the longer the game stayed at 0-0, the more confident Almeria got. The more they sensed they could get something out of the game, the more effort and commitment they start putting in. It's natural.

Plus as I said, your defending was relatively poor...Almeria lack quality in attack yet kept getting past your defenders (albeit not very cleanly). If they had a bit of smartness they would have stayed organised, and not over-committed in attack like they did just before the counter-attack that led to your equaliser.

It's quite obvious...but no, it must be a big conspiracy among the referees and all 18 other teams in La Liga to ensure Barça win Sleep

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Valdano-Mourinho battle continues...this is what Valdano said after the game Laugh

Si algo no le falta a este equipo es gol

(he's right of course, but it won't help Mourinho's "Benzema Out and any big man striker in" campaign. Incidentally, Valdano also came out with some very supportive comments of Benzema, Perez's favourite puppy.).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Barça goal yesterday was all about Busquets. Won it just a few yards outside Malaga's penalty box. The perfect example of how to pressure high up the pitch and why it's such a rewarding tactic - you have much less distance to reach the opposition goal, and you catch the opposition in the defense-attack transition phase, forcing them to suddenly reverse.

And a fantastic pass from Messi for Barça's 3rd. He's clearly NotAGenius (copyright Pierre and Super Madrid) Ale

Lordanger

Number of posts : 1519
Supports : hairbands
Favourite Player : Not Gerrard
Registration date : 2006-09-27

Post by Lordanger on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:44 am

yeah there is no way messi is a genius: he has never played in england so therefore he is shit. in fact i'd say (and my name is andy gray) that he ranks somewhere between andy johnson and kalou in the OFFICIAL list of bestest players ever.
goals scored in spain are worth no more than goals scored against a newcastle ladies under 5s team.
stoke are better than barca.
thank you.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 am

it shouldn't really matter if teams put in more effort against real, their "best squad in the world" should be able to handle it
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Well, adios liga. Rolling Eyes

What a sh!t way to lose as well. It's like Messiah says even Almeria are giving their best effort we should be able to beat them comfortably because they are sh!t. We don't have a great record in the Mediterraneo but still, we had to win and we didn't. Very lethargic from the players. Just not good enough. And with Farça not showing even the smallest sign of losing any time soon I guess we'll have to just for the Copa del Rey this year.

Oh yeah and Tevez can f*ck off.
fcb

Post by fcb on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Messiah wrote:it shouldn't really matter if teams put in more effort against real, their "best squad in the world" should be able to handle it

Interesting stat from AS and Marca about their squad - 89% of the mins so far have been spread among just 14 players. So the remaining 8 or 9 are sitting around doing fuck all for their wages. Couple of genuine cases of course, like Kaka and his injury.

1. Cristiano Ronaldo 2.526

2. Iker Casillas 2.520

3. Marcelo 2.338

4. Xabi Alonso 2.283

5. Ricardo Carvalho 1.927

6. Ángel Di María 1.927

7. Mesut Özil 1.891

8. Sergio Ramos 1.889

9. Pepe 1.862

10. Sami Khedira 1.833

11. Álvaro Arbeloa 1.661

12. Gonzalo Higuaín 1.379

13. Karim Benzema 1.257

14. Lass Diarra 1.078

15. Raúl Albiol 792

16. Pedro León 563

17. Esteban Granero 540

18. Sergio Canales 332

19. Mahamadou Diarra 312

20. Ricardo Kaká 156

21. Antonio Adán 135

22. Ezequiel Garay 107

23. Fernando Gago 101

24. David Mateos 79

25. Jerzy Dudek 45

26. Juanfran 20

27. Pablo Sarabia 18

28. Álvaro Morata 16

I now finally understand Guardiola's philosophy behind having a small squad - better to have 19 players who are of the same quality, gel together, and each of whom you trust to start in any game (well, except Bojan and Pinto), rather than 25 players of whom you only trust 15, and the rest are so mediocre that you resort to demanding new signings when your first choice gets injured.

But you still have to be very careful (and have some luck) with how you manage your players' fitness/injuries.
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:39 pm

mourinho won the triple with inter, cant be that bad to have a big squad

but when i look at the quality from the REAL squad there is not much behind the first11

bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Kroos wrote:mourinho won the triple with inter, cant be that bad to have a big squad

but when i look at the quality from the REAL squad there is not much behind the first11

On teh contrary, Mou does not believe in having big squads.... at Inter, he did help in reducing the squad to 23-25 players. Historically, Inter used to have really big squads, even 30-35 players in early noughties.

Kas, your observation is very accurate tho... Mou is terrible in rotating players, he just doesn't do it. Thats one of his weak points, and one of the reasons why people allege he is only good for the short-medium term at a club.
Torrente

Number of posts : 5489
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by Torrente on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Regarding the " teams putting less effort against Barcelona" argument, I don't believe that's a valid excuse. That being said, it is worrying that so many coaches have such a defeatist attitude against Barcelona and even make it public. Preciado's "Barcelona is not part of our league" was one. Lotina was already saying the other day that if they go through in the Copa they don't have much of a chance anyway because they would face Barcelona in the next round Rolling Eyes Then we had to see the Betis coach celebrating after their match against Barcelona after losing 5-0 because "they created more chances against them than Real Madrid did".

I don't ever remember seeing any of this in the galactico era or any other era for that matter. And sure, Barcelona are much better than us. But how can it be that Almeria commits twice as many fouls against us than against Barcelona, when it was them who were scoring at will? We even saw that Chilean druglord getting ready to kill Iker at the end of the match.

This is all very worrying to me. A losing culture has clearly developed among many teams which will only make La Liga's metamorphosis into the SPL Redux more concrete.

I admit that Barcelona are too good to be true at the moment. But I don't think they are THAT GOOD that they should beat so many teams to the extent that the rest don't seem to even give the illusion at any stage of the match that they might be able to do something.

This doesn't take away the fact that Real Madrid has looked jaded since the Camp Nou game of course. From October-November the team looked compact and got better with every game. Since then we look vulnerable and are forced to come back in the scoreline on a regular basis. Fatigue may be part of it, but it's only January ffs! We haven't had a game in weeks that we looked solid for 90 minutes.

Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Torrente wrote:Regarding the " teams putting less effort against Barcelona" argument, I don't believe that's a valid excuse. That being said, it is worrying that so many coaches have such a defeatist attitude against Barcelona and even make it public. Preciado's "Barcelona is not part of our league" was one. Lotina was already saying the other day that if they go through in the Copa they don't have much of a chance anyway because they would face Barcelona in the next round Rolling Eyes Then we had to see the Betis coach celebrating after their match against Barcelona after losing 5-0 because "they created more chances against them than Real Madrid did".

I don't ever remember seeing any of this in the galactico era or any other era for that matter. And sure, Barcelona are much better than us. But how can it be that Almeria commits twice as many fouls against us than against Barcelona, when it was them who were scoring at will? We even saw that Chilean druglord getting ready to kill Iker at the end of the match.

This is all very worrying to me. A losing culture has clearly developed among many teams which will only make La Liga's metamorphosis into the SPL Redux more concrete.

I admit that Barcelona are too good to be true at the moment. But I don't think they are THAT GOOD that they should beat so many teams to the extent that the rest don't seem to even give the illusion at any stage of the match that they might be able to do something.

This doesn't take away the fact that Real Madrid has looked jaded since the Camp Nou game of course. From October-November the team looked compact and got better with every game. Since then we look vulnerable and are forced to come back in the scoreline on a regular basis. Fatigue may be part of it, but it's only January ffs! We haven't had a game in weeks that we looked solid for 90 minutes.

I wouldn't say it is goodbye to the league as Jaime has said but given the low quality of the league then it is fatal to even drop a point. Draws have become the new loss. Sure the big 2 have improved but in reality the teams outside have deteriorated even more so. This is why games don't mean much to me anymore since the outcome has mostly been decided it is just a matter of how the result will be formed. Yesterday was an exception of course.

I can understand why there is a losers mentality because look at what Lotina has to work with. It is poor yet he has done quite well but the reality is that these teams are weakning as the top get stronger. The gap is increasing but what can he do? Meanwhile the top 2 can hold up their results and pundits might be impressed but beneath it all it is obvious that many of these results and performances are inflated. Just look at how poor La Liga looks against big teams of other countries. Look at Real Madrid's performances and results in Europe. Look at Barcelonas. Obviously Barca has won recently but look at how easy Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd/Inter have stiffled and won against Barcelona. All of this is not a coincidence.

Now Kas and Jaime have pointed out that me and Messiah are wrong to look to the Spanish League for competitiveness since this hasn't been the case historically. This seems to imply that what is happening now is in sync with the past.

Lets look at the period of when the Spanish League was on top roughly 04-99:

(read downwards from the left column to the right)

compared to 90-99

In the period after 04
What is obvious to me is that Real Madrid and Barcelona have increased the gap significantly in the last 6 season where in all but one year they have taken the top 2 positions(Villarreal in 07-08). This will likely be the 6th season out of 7 where Real Madrid and Barcelona are in the top 2.

In the period between 99-04
In this era we had two different seasons where either Real Madrid(99-00) or Barcelona(02-03) didn't even feature in the top 4!

In the period between 90-99
4 times in this period did Real Madrid and Barcelona take the top 2 positions.

-Of those 4 times only once was the gap from the top 2 to third place big(13points in 96/97)
besides that year it was quite competitive even when the top 2 got the top places.

However you could point to the period between 84-95 where the Big 2 won the league 11 times in a row but even then half the time it was a team apart from the Big 2 that ended on 2nd place.

Looking at this period proves to me that what is happening now is rather unprecedented and especially since this year will continue in the style we saw last year and the gap might even increase compared to last years 25 point gap. Next season something might change but at best the only change I can see is if one of Valencia/Atletico Laugh /Villarreal close the gap. Competition from outside the Big 2 might be a couple of years away. The only hope as I see it is if one of the two clubs implode which isn't that farfetched since this tends to happen every now and then.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:42 pm

don't think any team barca liverpool and Man utd, won against barca easly, and that was a different team from the won that we currently have.

but i take your point.
fcb

Post by fcb on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:55 am

Torrente wrote:Regarding the " teams putting less effort against Barcelona" argument, I don't believe that's a valid excuse. That being said, it is worrying that so many coaches have such a defeatist attitude against Barcelona and even make it public. Preciado's "Barcelona is not part of our league" was one. Lotina was already saying the other day that if they go through in the Copa they don't have much of a chance anyway because they would face Barcelona in the next round Rolling Eyes Then we had to see the Betis coach celebrating after their match against Barcelona after losing 5-0 because "they created more chances against them than Real Madrid did".

Ulloa (Almeria): "When we played against Barcelona, we ran after the ball like dogs. Against Madrid, you can have possession and play"

If you can't get close to the Barça players or the ball, you can't foul them. Simples.

According to Soccernet, most of Almeria's fouls seem to have occured in the 1st half...they were 2-0 down in 20 mins, 5-0 down by halftime. So probably they would have stopped trying, understandably. Whereas against Madrid they were in the game for the full 90 mins, fighting even harder towards the end to hold on to their point.

Also, don't forget the influence of La Liga's crazy refereeing where they're inconsistent within the same game, let alone from one game to another. Sometimes they let play flow, sometimes they blow the whistle for every small offense.

I'm just making a bunch of assumptions, some of it may be true, some of it may not...but hopefully it helps to illustrate that using the "foul count" is an equally stupid excuse to prove that teams try harder against Madrid than Barça. I find it hard to believe that any sane person would actually believe this crazy stuff written by Marca...
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:34 am

fcb wrote:

Ulloa (Almeria): "When we played against Barcelona, we ran after the ball like dogs. Against Madrid, you can have possession and play"

If you can't get close to the Barça players or the ball, you can't foul them. Simples.

According to Soccernet, most of Almeria's fouls seem to have occured in the 1st half...they were 2-0 down in 20 mins, 5-0 down by halftime. So probably they would have stopped trying, understandably. Whereas against Madrid they were in the game for the full 90 mins, fighting even harder towards the end to hold on to their point.

Also, don't forget the influence of La Liga's crazy refereeing where they're inconsistent within the same game, let alone from one game to another. Sometimes they let play flow, sometimes they blow the whistle for every small offense.

I'm just making a bunch of assumptions, some of it may be true, some of it may not...but hopefully it helps to illustrate that using the "foul count" is an equally stupid excuse to prove that teams try harder against Madrid than Barça. I find it hard to believe that any sane person would actually believe this crazy stuff written by Marca...
ok
For me it is obvious why Almeria might foul more against Real Madrid and it is exactly for the reason you mention. Barcelona's style is much more fluent then Real's and they are weaker physically so it obvious that they have try to avoid those battles whereas Real Madrid get more "stuck in" and are less fluent in style.
Teams aren't doing enough against the Big 2 but Im questioning whether or not they actually have the quality to raise a challenge.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

El Racing, cerca de cerrar su venta a un empersario indio

El consejero de Economía del Gobierno de Cantabria, Ángel Agudo, ha confirmado hoy que el Racing de Santander está próximo a cerrar su venta a un "empresario indio, que tiene negocios diversificados por todo el mundo", en una operación que "aún no está cerrada definitivamente".

Según ha añadido Agudo, el empresario indio tiene residencia en Bahrein, opera a través de bancos radicados en Suiza y entre sus negocios figura una "empresa deportiva a nivel planetario".

Agudo, en declaraciones a los periodistas, ha explicado que el Racing ha informado al Gobierno de Cantabria del contenido de esta operación que se ha venido negociando en los últimos días y que, para el Ejecutivo cántabro, "puede ser interesante" siempre que se garantice la "solvencia" del comprador y que éste presente un "proyecto que dé confianza".

Pero, principalmente, Agudo ha aludido a la necesidad de que el crédito participativo de siete millones de euros suscrito con la sociedad pública CANTUR se contemple en el proceso de compra del club "en las mismas condiciones".

Esta sociedad dependiente del Gobierno de Cantabria suscribió este crédito dentro de una operación para dar estabilidad al club, antes de la llegada del actual máximo accionista, Dunviro SL, propiedad de la familia Montalvo.

"Se trata de un proyecto ambicioso y de gran calado desde el punto de vista económico y deportivo", ha opinado Ángel Agudo en relación a esta operación sobre la cual el Racing mantiene absoluto silencio.

Si finalmente la operación se cierra en los próximos días, los nuevos propietarios estarán a tiempo de dar notoriedad a su llegada al Racing con algún fichaje de renombre, dentro del mercado de invierno que se cierra el 31 de enero.

Lo cierto es que en el terreno deportivo el Racing parece precisar de algún refuerzo, tanto por las bajas de larga duración de centrocampistas como Tziolis y Serrano, como por las dudas que despierta el juego del equipo entre la afición racinguista.

http://www.marca.com/2011/01/18/futbol/equipos/racing/1295352508.html

So first Malaga and now maybe Racing. Not exactly the teams you would expect a foreign investor to buy first...but they can probably be had for almost nothing. Can't remember what the sheikhs paid for Malaga but it was very insignificant.
fcb

Post by fcb on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm

I think it was something like 36 or 39m euros. So basically the same as Benzema Very Happy

This guy linked to Racing, isn't he the same one who was briefly linked to buying Blackburn? Claimed he had billions, but then later it was found that he had loads of unpaid tax debt around the world.

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:30 pm

fcb

Post by fcb on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Sevilla winning easily against Levante, 4-1 now with 20-odd mins still to go. Fabiano with a hattrick.

Barça up next. Pique rested:
Víctor Valdés
Adriano, Puyol, Abidal, Maxwell
Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta
Pedro, Messi y Villa.

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:06 pm

1-0 great move my messi, before pedro just barely touches it in

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 pm

messi's vision and passing has reach a level that i never thought it would reach so far this season, as is evident by the number of assist he has had this season

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Tono has been excellent so far, only reason its not 4-5 so far, PK by messi 2-0

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:46 pm

don't think it would be too much to say valdez is the best goalkeeper with the ball at his feet in europe

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:20 pm

goal iniesta, really starting to round off his game, nice back-heel by pedro for the assist
Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
Favourite Player : Ozil
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Messiah wrote:don't think it would be too much to say valdez is the best goalkeeper with the ball at his feet in europe

Not better than Reina but good nonetheless.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:41 am