Mercado de verano: La Liga Transfer Thread - Summer 2011

blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Re: Mercado de verano: La Liga Transfer Thread - Summer 2011

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:09 pm

39 goals in 2010-11 & wanted by Chelsea & Real Madrid - so what possessed Falcao to join Atletico Madrid?

As one of last season's heroes has finally found a new club, Goal.com's Portuguese expert reflects on what made the gifted striker move to the Vicente Calderon

ANALYSIS
By Luis Mira

As we are about to enter the last week of the transfer window, the time has come for clubs to make last-minute adjustments to their squads, to finally sign that one player whose price they had been waiting to sink to the lowest possible level or even to fill the voids created by unwanted sales. The last case sums up Atletico Madrid’s affair with Radamel Falcao.

With Sergio Aguero leaving behind a €45 million cheque when he moved to Manchester City, Atletico Madrid began the arduous task of looking for a potential replacement for the Argentine: a mobile and technical striker, someone who can rise to the challenge and has proved his football IQ, but is not playing at a top club.

And Falcao fitted the bill perfectly. After spending the last two years of his career at Porto and becoming one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe with over 70 goals, the Colombian was available for €45m and aired his desire to move to a more testing league.

Chelsea, who are guided by Falcao’s former coach, Andre Villas-Boas, and Real Madrid were both credited with an interest in the Colombian’s services, but it never went beyond papertalk, most likely because of Porto’s initial stubbornness to honour the player’s release clause.

With the duo out of the race, only two reasons can explain why Falcao would consider moving to Atletico, who are inferior to Porto on every level, except in the wage budget: either the striker did not believe in the project of new coach Vitor Pereira, and thought his stock would fall in case the club faltered in Portugal and Europe, or he is convinced he can affirm himself in La Liga while at the Vicente Calderon.
But in a league in which he will have to compete against the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for the Pichichi award and at a club who have not entered the Champions League since the 2009-10 campaign and barely scored more goals than leaked last season, that seems to be an uphill task for Falcao.

The hand of Fifa agent Jorge Mendes in the deal must not be ignored, with Atletico Madrid being one of the clubs with whom he enjoys a good relationship. Over the last few years, Mendes has placed Maniche, Simao Sabrosa, Tiago and Diego Costa at the Spanish side, and he has now increased his tally by taking Ruben Micael to the Vicente Calderon together with Falcao.

It is believed Mendes cut a deal with Porto to extend Falcao’s contract from 2013 to 2015 and up his release clause to €45m, and in return the Portuguese outfit would accept negotiating the player if any club came within touching distance of the player’s buy-out clause.

The fact is that Porto did not expect that anyone would go that far, but they only have themselves to blame for that situation. The Estadio do Dragao outfit fell victim to their own prepotency, and the main culprit is their president, Pinto da Costa, who enticed Atletico Madrid when questioned about the Colombian's situation.

It only made sense that Falcao stayed one more year at Porto and proved his worth, not only against Barcelona in the Uefa Supercup, but also in the Champions League, to earn a real career jump next season.

The inclusion of Micael - who had been deemed surplus to requirements at Porto - in the deal for Falcao just shows that this transfer has 'Jorge Mendes' written all over it. For someone like the Portuguese midfielder, a move to Atletico comes as a career boost, but for Falcao, who has proved he can thrive in Europe's elite, the only benefit he will get from this new challenge will be a bigger paycheck. And this proves how football agents act more as merchants - whose real interest is the commission they get from transfers - than career managers.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2011/08/19/2625050/39-goals-in-2010-11-wanted-by-chelsea-real-madrid-so-what

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Falcao hasn't proven himself outside of Portugal and the europa league for goodness sake, how the fuck his he worth so much money and how the fuck is atletico so stupid to pay it, then again its atletico.

i mean even chelsea refused to play ball on because of the transfer fee.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Messiah wrote:Falcao hasn't proven himself outside of Portugal and the europa league for goodness sake, how the fuck his he worth so much money and how the fuck is atletico so stupid to pay it, then again its atletico.

i mean even chelsea refused to play ball on because of the transfer fee.

I agree. But its crazy money out there these days. Eventually though the bubble has to burst.
Protheus

Number of posts : 1816
Supports : Futebol Clube do Porto
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Protheus on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:48 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:
39 goals in 2010-11 & wanted by Chelsea & Real Madrid - so what possessed Falcao to join Atletico Madrid?

The fact is that Porto did not expect that anyone would go that far, but they only have themselves to blame for that situation. The Estadio do Dragao outfit fell victim to their own prepotency, and the main culprit is their president, Pinto da Costa, who enticed Atletico Madrid when questioned about the Colombian's situation.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2011/08/19/2625050/39-goals-in-2010-11-wanted-by-chelsea-real-madrid-so-what

Now that is really funny. We've payed 5.5M for a player with a buy out clause of 30m.
We rised the clause to 45, and sell him for 40+7(most likely of the 7 we can realisticlly expect 1-2 extra) and that porto hater jornalist call it a bad deal??? The fact he personalized the culprit is a prove of his real intentions. If he can point a more sucesseful president than ours...please feel free to prove it.

As for Falcao, he was plain mercenary. He went for the money and La Liga spotlight because in sporting terms... well that's just say going from a CL regular and trophy winner team to one that fights for 4th place...tops is a bad career move. He should have waited 1 more year as we usually do with our star players and go for a REALLY TOP RICH TEAM THAT FIGHTS FOR SILVERWARE.
Ah well greed usually wins in the end. Mind you, we do not care much after selling him for 40m€ and as we've had done before we always have another ready to take his place.

As for the price tag, this is the one truth: players are not sold because they are worth that much, players are sold for the price buyers are willing to pay. As much as his price might seem overated to many i could say the same about some transfers in the top leagues of players to be honest i think it wouldn´t even make Porto's bench. But then again that is how things work in modern football and we've(porto) been taken a great profit because of it.

And as for Mendes little finger in the deals, we've made tons of big money transfers in the last 10 years or so and only a few were Mendes related. He can make big deals because he knows how to move in the new reality but do not forget in the end only money matters to him and it doesn´t matter if it is from club A or country C. As long as he makes his profit he doesn´t care about it. But he is a major player nowadays so the clubs have to learn how to deal with it.
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:02 pm

People should watch Super liga from time to time to make comments. His movement, ability, technique, temperament et al is ACE.

Even Aguero Hasn't proved it outside Europa League & Spanish league.
Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Fade out wrote:People should watch Super liga from time to time to make comments. His movement, ability, technique, temperament et al is ACE.

Even Aguero Hasn't proved it outside Europa League & Spanish league.

I won't comment on Falcao as I've only seen him in Europe and the odd international, but I don't agree with your Aguero remarks.

He's scored regularly at all levels (CL, EL, La Liga, internationals) He's about as proven as you can be for his age (ignoring Messi)

I do think Falcao will do well at Atleti but it's a lot of money for a club of their position to spend. I think they would have been better of getting two three players for 40m Euro.

Fade out

Post by Fade out on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Aguero has scored 5 goals (and created 1 goal) in 11 starts + 3 sub in CL. International goals - 13 in 30 appearances (for Argentines)

Falcao has scored 4 goals (And created 1 goal) in 7 starts + 1 sub in CL. International level - 9 goals in 31 appearances (for Columbia)

Aguero is an all-round bigger talent & prospect, agreed. But Falcao is on his way to be the best striker of his generation. I'll bookmark this post.
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:12 pm

For the quality of crosses Turan & Reyes would put in, Falcao will score bundle of goals as he is also the best header of his generation. Reminds of 'Bam Bam' Zamorano in that respect.
Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
Favourite Player : Scholes
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 am

From what I saw in the latest Copa America, Falcao is a good striker,, I wouldn't mind if Sir Alex paid 45m for him
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Dani Guiza is officially a Getafe player (again)! cheers

Also - Dani Pacheco and Iago Falque close to joining up with Rayo Vallecano. ok
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Great. Will the get paid, and when will they actually play? Questions...
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Very legitimate questions.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:16 pm

What do you Madrid and Barca fans think about a fairer distribution of TV revenues in Spain? Because, let's face it, it can't continue like this. The rest of the league is going bankrupt (your clubs, especially Barca, have pretty high debts, too, but at least the revenues are high also). If it goes on like this, you may have nobody to play against in the domestic competition except yourselves.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:55 pm

I have said before that the TV revenue really should be redistributed in a more equal fashion. I am also not opposed to foreign owner's like sheikh al-Thani at Malaga. These clubs need to get cash from somewhere. At the height of the 'liga de las estrellas' in the mid 90s to mid 00s the quality of players even at the mid-level to smaller clubs was really quite high. Teams like Celta Vigo had top players like Haim Revivo, Valery Karpin, and Alexander Mostovoi, Betis set a record to bring Denilson (granted he was sh!t in the end), even a club like Oviedo had international players like Onopko and Paul Bento. And you don't see this any more. Even clubs like Valencia and Sevilla if you really think about it have pretty sh!t squads. Villarreal has the quality but no depth. I don't think anyone really likes to see a 30 point gap between the top two and the rest of the league and both Madrid and Barsa flirting with 100 points. The last great season was 06-07 and we still won it but it went down to the penultimate week of the season with three teams still in the hunt: Madrid, Barsa, and Sevilla. But to be fair, it's not just the fault of Madrid and Barcelona. There has been a bunch of clubs trying to change it for a while but the likes of Valencia, Atletico, and Sevilla have sided with the status quo because in the current deal they get enough that basically guarantees them a pretty good chance of getting 3rd or 4th in the league. But one of the byproducts of Malaga's new owner is they are putting pressure to renegotiate their own TV deal and it is encouraging other clubs to do the same. Athletic just renegotiated their deal and are going to get almost double the amount (30m euro from 17m if I remember correctly) per season starting next year. Villarreal and Real Sociedad and maybe another club that I am forgetting are pushing with Malaga to try and revamp the system. And especially if Malaga qualify for the CL this year or even next I think it will make Sevilla/Valencia/Atletico rethink their stance because Malaga's resources will make their bit of the TV money pie insufficient to ensure (or at least ensure that they are there or thereabouts) their CL qualification.
Island Girl

Number of posts : 150
Supports : Barcelona, Arsenal, Juventus, Valencia and Sevilla
Favourite Player : Eto'o, Nedved, Xavi and Rivaldo
Registration date : 2006-08-21

Post by Island Girl on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:16 am

blutgraetsche wrote:What do you Madrid and Barca fans think about a fairer distribution of TV revenues in Spain? Because, let's face it, it can't continue like this. The rest of the league is going bankrupt (your clubs, especially Barca, have pretty high debts, too, but at least the revenues are high also). If it goes on like this, you may have nobody to play against in the domestic competition except yourselves.

I have never paid that much attention to the money side of the game so transfers and the amount of money players made were of no interest to me. All that changed when Depo and a few of the other teams in La Liga became easy walk over for Barca and Real Madrid. I am all for a plan that helps the other 18 teams to be better at the end of the day the teams would be stronger opponents and the league would definitely improve.

More money for the other clubs could result in their owners and coaches attracting better quality players. There are a number of games I no longer look forward to especially when Barca score first. Ofcourse I want us to dominate the league but I would appreciate more dramma and suspense and after 90 we get the three points.

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Does anyone know about deadlines in current transfer window? Not only in Spain, but in other top leagues well.
Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
Supports : Arsenal FC
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:17 pm

England deadline: 11pm on 31 August.
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:18 pm

I think in Spain it's 6pm on 1st September, but I could be wrong.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Jaimito el Crack wrote:I have said before that the TV revenue really should be redistributed in a more equal fashion. I am also not opposed to foreign owner's like sheikh al-Thani at Malaga. These clubs need to get cash from somewhere. At the height of the 'liga de las estrellas' in the mid 90s to mid 00s the quality of players even at the mid-level to smaller clubs was really quite high. Teams like Celta Vigo had top players like Haim Revivo, Valery Karpin, and Alexander Mostovoi, Betis set a record to bring Denilson (granted he was sh!t in the end), even a club like Oviedo had international players like Onopko and Paul Bento. And you don't see this any more. Even clubs like Valencia and Sevilla if you really think about it have pretty sh!t squads. Villarreal has the quality but no depth. I don't think anyone really likes to see a 30 point gap between the top two and the rest of the league and both Madrid and Barsa flirting with 100 points. The last great season was 06-07 and we still won it but it went down to the penultimate week of the season with three teams still in the hunt: Madrid, Barsa, and Sevilla. But to be fair, it's not just the fault of Madrid and Barcelona. There has been a bunch of clubs trying to change it for a while but the likes of Valencia, Atletico, and Sevilla have sided with the status quo because in the current deal they get enough that basically guarantees them a pretty good chance of getting 3rd or 4th in the league. But one of the byproducts of Malaga's new owner is they are putting pressure to renegotiate their own TV deal and it is encouraging other clubs to do the same. Athletic just renegotiated their deal and are going to get almost double the amount (30m euro from 17m if I remember correctly) per season starting next year. Villarreal and Real Sociedad and maybe another club that I am forgetting are pushing with Malaga to try and revamp the system. And especially if Malaga qualify for the CL this year or even next I think it will make Sevilla/Valencia/Atletico rethink their stance because Malaga's resources will make their bit of the TV money pie insufficient to ensure (or at least ensure that they are there or thereabouts) their CL qualification.

Island Girl wrote:
I have never paid that much attention to the money side of the game so transfers and the amount of money players made were of no interest to me. All that changed when Depo and a few of the other teams in La Liga became easy walk over for Barca and Real Madrid. I am all for a plan that helps the other 18 teams to be better at the end of the day the teams would be stronger opponents and the league would definitely improve.

More money for the other clubs could result in their owners and coaches attracting better quality players. There are a number of games I no longer look forward to especially when Barca score first. Ofcourse I want us to dominate the league but I would appreciate more dramma and suspense and after 90 we get the three points.

Ok, let me put it this way: Are you willing to do without a considerable sum of money to improve the league as a whole? Because TV revenues are finite, so if they are split more fairly amongst the league, whatever way you prefer (individual contracts or central marketing), it automatically means less money for Real and Barca.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Yes, of course.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:31 pm

But that would weaken your teams in Europe, at least short term.

If I were a Real or Barca fan I'd agree, but I can see many fans won't.

stinger

Post by stinger on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:41 pm

fcb wrote:I think in Spain it's 6pm on 1st September, but I could be wrong.
Any reason why it should be September 1st and not end of August?
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:52 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:But that would weaken your teams in Europe, at least short term.

If I were a Real or Barca fan I'd agree, but I can see many fans won't.

Look we are still gonna bring in a lot of money, even if we were to lose out on some TV money. And truthfully we've spent loads of money and been pretty sh!t in europe for the better part of the last 7 years. Maybe it would actually force us to think about using our own kids from the academy and to make smarter investments instead of just throwing more euros at our problems.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Official: Juan Mata to Chelsea for 30m.

RIP Valencia CF. Dove
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Also looks like Osvaldo to Roma is almost done for 18m.

Betis closing in on Nikola Zigic.

stinger

Post by stinger on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Jaimito el Crack wrote:Official: Juan Mata to Chelsea for 30m.

RIP Valencia CF. Dove
scratch

They will do well this season, they don't even have to look for replacements, as they sold Mata after buying Piatti and getting Canales. Pretty smart, much better decision making than Villarreal selling Cazorla and getting nobody.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:33 pm

stinger wrote:
Jaimito el Crack wrote:Official: Juan Mata to Chelsea for 30m.

RIP Valencia CF. Dove
scratch

They will do well this season, they don't even have to look for replacements, as they sold Mata after buying Piatti and getting Canales. Pretty smart, much better decision making than Villarreal selling Cazorla and getting nobody.

I meant it in the sense that he was their last genuine top class player. Piatti is good but not in the same class imo. Canales has loads of potential but it remains to be seen how he will do in a team that is not simply trying to avoid relegation. Plus if he plays on the wing it will be kind of a waste.
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Funds they desperately need for Nou Mestalla. Shrewd moves as Stinger pointed out. They could relax about weekly wages too.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Yeah but failing to qualify for the CL ain't gonna help even if they have a new stadium. Their squad was already pretty mediocre. I think they are in for a long season.
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm in the optimist camp too when it comes to Valencia - I think their squad is good enough, they'll get a CL spot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 pm