Best team in the world - left back

Poll

Who is the current best left back in the world?

[ 14 ]
15% [15%] 
[ 18 ]
20% [20%] 
[ 13 ]
14% [14%] 
[ 7 ]
8% [8%] 
[ 3 ]
3% [3%] 
[ 1 ]
1% [1%] 
[ 1 ]
1% [1%] 
[ 11 ]
12% [12%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 5 ]
5% [5%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 1 ]
1% [1%] 
[ 1 ]
1% [1%] 
[ 1 ]
1% [1%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 3 ]
3% [3%] 

Total Votes: 91
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Best team in the world - left back

Post by Luis on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Remember only 3 votes, vote away, I'll give you 2 or 3 days <Ale>

Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Re: Best team in the world - left back

Post by Calidad on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 pm

A little bit more difficult here. I've gone for Abidal, Cole and Marcelo.

Abidal has been excellent this season, almost beastly. Cole is a c**t, but has been a fine example of consistency for sometime now. Marcelo is probably the best attacking FB in European football, and he's starting to improve defensively too. I've always said he'll come good, he's more talented going forward than most wingers.

Very good list though. Riise + Chivu aside who I don't really rate all that highly anymore (former is past it, latter isn't a LB) they've all performed well this season.
lampiao007

Number of posts : 1164
Supports : SL Benfica
Favourite Player : Pablo Aimar
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by lampiao007 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 pm

COENTRAO! Smile
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Ashley Cole
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:38 pm

lampiao007 wrote:COENTRAO! Smile

Looks very good too.

It's funny because a few years ago I remember him starring at some youth tournament as a winger, and he really did look excellent. Then he seemed to dissapear of the face of the earth for a while, being loaned out to various different sides, and seemingly not making much of an impact. But then bang, comes back as a LB, and a very accomplished one too. Still needs to polish some areas of his game, but undoutedbly already one of the finest in his positon.
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 pm

I can't believe Kolarov has two votes. He can't defend, he's horribly slow, as well as horribly selfish. Don't think he's even worth half as much what City paid.
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Calidad wrote:
lampiao007 wrote:COENTRAO! Smile

Looks very good too.

It's funny because a few years ago I remember him starring at some youth tournament as a winger, and he really did look excellent. Then he seemed to dissapear of the face of the earth for a while, being loaned out to various different sides, and seemingly not making much of an impact. But then bang, comes back as a LB, and a very accomplished one too. Still needs to polish some areas of his game, but undoutedbly already one of the finest in his positon.

Strongly linked with Chelsea and Liverpool I believe. I imagine he'll opt for Chelsea.

Not seen too much of him myself but he's very highly rated indeed.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Calidad wrote:I can't believe Kolarov has two votes. He can't defend, he's horribly slow, as well as horribly selfish. Don't think he's even worth half as much what City paid.

scratch He doesn't have any votes from what I can see
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Luis wrote:
Calidad wrote:I can't believe Kolarov has two votes. He can't defend, he's horribly slow, as well as horribly selfish. Don't think he's even worth half as much what City paid.

scratch He doesn't have any votes from what I can see

My mistake.

He doesn't belong on the list though. Neither do Riise or Chivu.
Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:11 pm

I like:

Abidal - better on the ball than most give him credit for.

Tough one really, Evra on form is better, or at least more exciting than Cole on form. Both haven't been at their sharpest recently, but Evra has been off colour more.

Rate Cissokho too, and Marcelo is starting too impress. Conservative choice: Cole, Evra and Abidal, very difficult choosing between those three.
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:07 pm

lol cashley, maybe hes the best in slaughtering his wifes

havent seen anything special from him, hes only solid in defence and offence

contrao, baines, schmelzer Wink
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 pm

ok

If it's a "wing-buddy" you're after, then Ashley Cole is probably the best LB in the world. But if we're talking purely football-related world class left backs then look no further than Holger Badstuber. Ale
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:10 pm

No Zanetti Sad He should be in the squad as a RB, LB and maybe even withdrawn RM! Razz Just because he plays multiple roles for Inter doesn't mean that he isn't among the best full backs on the planet... even at 37 he is one of the best fullbacks in Serie A, maybe only Maicon is better.

So I will pick Evra, Cole and Zanetti.

Balzaretti definately deserves to be on that list over the likes of Chivu, Riise, or Nagatomo. He is a late bloomer, just like Zambrotta, and he is reaching the high of Zambrotta's level as well. Santon, Criscito, or Nagatomo may find their way into that list in a few years. But Balzaretti should be there.
Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
Supports : Arsenal FC

Post by Cesc Soler on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Evra, Cole & Marcelo
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm

S4P wrote:ok

If it's a "wing-buddy" you're after, then Ashley Cole is probably the best LB in the world. But if we're talking purely football-related world class left backs then look no further than Holger Badstuber. Ale

Laugh

Cole is a c**t, but undeniably a quality defender. Can anyone think of a game where he's been humiliated and embarrassed by an opposition number, in the way Bale did to Maicon for instance? I honestly can't think of a single game, such has been his level of competitiveness and consistency. Pretty much the only England player at the World Cup who came back with his reputation intact. So I've gone for Cole. There are better left backs going forwards mind - it's that part of his game which is overrated.

Kroos

Post by Kroos on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Noah and the Bale wrote:

Laugh

Cole is a c**t, but undeniably a quality defender. Can anyone think of a game where he's been humiliated and embarrassed by an opposition number, in the way Bale did to Maicon for instance? I honestly can't think of a single game, such has been his level of competitiveness and consistency. Pretty much the only England player at the World Cup who came back with his reputation intact. So I've gone for Cole. There are better left backs going forwards mind - it's that part of his game which is overrated.

özil humiliated him with ease

it all depends on the tactic, cahsley is not a very intelligent player, same to terry, the negative tactics from chelsea help them a lot

but i agree, in the defence hes a beast for chelsea
Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:33 pm

Kroos wrote:
Noah and the Bale wrote:

Laugh

özil humiliated him with ease

it all depends on the tactic, cahsley is not a very intelligent player, same to terry, the negative tactics from chelsea help them a lot

Laugh Ozil didn't humiliate him at all. Presumably you're referring to the World Cup game, if so, you're wrong. For the 3rd goal, Ozil was tearing down England's RIGHT side, it was Glen Johnson who was humiliated. You're seeing 2 black players and, being a typically racist Aryan German, have managed to get them mixed up Ale : albino

Oh, and Cashley is positionally very intelligent. He plays the offside line very well, rarely gets caught out (like Clichy as an example of how not to do it). It's not simply down to tactics, because he is equally good at club and international level.

It is also well known that Ronaldo never got the better of Cole in his time in England and internationally, and indeed reckoned him the toughest left back he ever faced. Also, Cole didn't walk into the UEFA team of the year for nothing.

Yep, still a c**t, but this is one English player who can actually claim to be World Class in his position.

A Maldini or Zanetti in their prime would easily win this though - quality of left backs these days if fairly thin

Kroos

Post by Kroos on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:41 pm

no i watched the game many times, özil had some good chances on cashelys side (one shot on target which the keeper saved well, cashely was a little late on that) and some other nice actions

start with 0:40 bounce
S4P

Post by S4P on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:11 am

"Some good chances on cashleys side" = one moment where he wrong-footed Cole (0:43).

Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't buy that Cole is a genuine c**t (see Terry or Gerrard for that), just a very dim man.

Brilliant left-back though, went for him with Evra and Coentrão. Not very originally it seems...
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Do you think Gerrard is a bigger c**t than Cole?

Terry - undisputable.

Gerrard - I'm not so sure. Always seemed a lot less dislikeable when I've seen him interviewed. Of course there was the whole "beat up a DJ" thing, and the rumour of getting a 16 year old pregnant, but I just dunno. Cole just eminates something more despicable if you ask me.

Still, I know which of the 3 I'd choose to be in my team first and foremost Ale

Back to the topic - who are the up and coming left backs? And if it weren't for Cole, would Zhirkov be in this list?
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Has Kimbo got two accounts on the go ?
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm

COTR wrote:Has Kimbo got two accounts on the go ?

Ha - which is the second?
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

COTR wrote:Has Kimbo got two accounts on the go ?

No. I think someone has just voted for all of them, bar Felipe.
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Do 3 people really think Capdevilla is the best in the world? Not always been impressed when I've seen him.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Luis wrote:Do 3 people really think Capdevilla is the best in the world? Not always been impressed when I've seen him.

He's past it now, imo. Even at the World Cup I didn't think he should have necessarily been first choice.
S4P

Post by S4P on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:59 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:I don't buy that Cole is a genuine c**t (see Terry or Gerrard for that), just a very dim man.

Brilliant left-back though, went for him with Evra and Coentrão. Not very originally it seems...

He seemed to be regarded as a c**t first of all by Arsenal who felt that he did not show any loyalty towards the club. But as we've seen time and again, footballers appear to have this idea that they don't owe anything to the club/fans. It always amazes me how Henry and Vieira left Arsenal still (largely) held in high regard by the fans, when both of them left for the same reason that Cole did - money. The only difference I guess is that they were more discrete about it, but my interpretation of the chants of 'Cashley' is that the Arsenal fans were angry about him leaving for more money.

It will be interesting to see their reaction if Fabregas leaves for Barcelona in the summer.

Then you had virtually every single woman in the country getting on his back because Cheryl was the nation's sweetheart at the time...................... Violin

I'm not sure why he gets such a reception from England fans. To my knowledge he's never insulted the England fans in the way that, for example, Wayne Rooney has.

I have no doubt that he has a ridiculously big ego and is therefore probably a complete and utter c**t of a man to know - the incident with the intern only proves this (I'm still waiting to see video clips of him driving an army truck into the Cobham training ground thinking he's doing a Snickers advert), but he's no more of a c**t in my opinion than Terry, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard etc - all cheaters/assaulters with too big an ego.
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:01 pm

When has Lampard ever assaulted or cheated?

christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:17 pm

S4P wrote:
Allez les rouges wrote:I don't buy that Cole is a genuine c**t (see Terry or Gerrard for that), just a very dim man.

He seemed to be regarded as a c**t first of all by Arsenal who felt that he did not show any loyalty towards the club. But as we've seen time and again, footballers appear to have this idea that they don't owe anything to the club/fans. It always amazes me how Henry and Vieira left Arsenal still (largely) held in high regard by the fans, when both of them left for the same reason that Cole did - money. The only difference I guess is that they were more discrete about it, but my interpretation of the chants of 'Cashley' is that the Arsenal fans were angry about him leaving for more money.

I've always felt this was because Cole was brought through the ranks. Its all the worse when the players has been their since he was a kid, had the club invest time and money in him, show him the game, teach him how to play, make him better and better until he decides he's worth more money and decides to shit on the club who made him.

Although Henry was made a star at Arsenal, he wasnt brought through their youth. Also didnt Cole say something like he was "disgusted" at being offered in a week what most would struggly to get in a year? The bloke brought everything on himself.

I thought Vieira was sold because Wenger didnt want him anymore..dont really remember well though.
S4P

Post by S4P on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:28 pm

Luis wrote:When has Lampard ever assaulted or cheated?

He cheated on his wife/fiancee - the mother of his children. That in my opinion is ever so slightly worse than cheating on your wife who doesn't have children (though neither are morally acceptable).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:45 am