Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Share

Poll

Who are the 2 best centre backs in the world at the moment?

[ 9 ]
7% [7%] 
[ 5 ]
4% [4%] 
[ 6 ]
5% [5%] 
[ 3 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 3 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 4 ]
3% [3%] 
[ 15 ]
12% [12%] 
[ 4 ]
3% [3%] 
[ 3 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 16 ]
13% [13%] 
[ 9 ]
7% [7%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 12 ]
10% [10%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 2 ]
2% [2%] 
[ 13 ]
11% [11%] 
[ 1 ]
1% [1%] 
[ 1 ]
1% [1%] 
[ 7 ]
6% [6%] 
[ 4 ]
3% [3%] 

Total Votes: 121
avatar
Red n' Black

Number of posts : 1499
Age : 33
Supports : AC Milan
Registration date : 2007-03-26

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by Red n' Black on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:56 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
stinger wrote:
bluenine wrote:
stinger wrote:Nesta also wasn't never tested outside his comfort zone. I know he's great and all, but still...
Nor has Pele, Baresi, Maldini, Zanetti, Bobby Charlton, Beckenbauer, etc etc... so whats the point?
Probably that I'm not so sure about Nesta class. Two other great Serie A defenders were tested in La Liga and both were more or less disastrous (they had some good alibi, but still...). That's why I probably rate Lucio higher or even Carvalho, but the latter also had his comfort zone with Mourinho coaching him for many of his senior years.

and Lucio spent the majority of his career in the sub-standard Bundesliga... Rolling Eyes

I think Nesta proved himself in the Champions League and at International level. In Serie A he played for 2 relatively attacking sides and was great for both.

I don't see the relevance of Samuel and Cannavaro failing in La Liga, they are both different types of defenders to Nesta and had different circumstances.

Prime Nesta is much better than prime Cannavaro or prime Samuel. Nesta's reading of the game and ball playing ability is on a different level. Obviously now Nesta is on his last legs (not only age-wise, but so many horrific back surgeries have f'ed him up over the latter years) and to be honest, he isn't the player he used to be. Nevertheless, in his prime Nesta is the best central defender I've seen playing since Baresi (and we had Maldini/Stam etc who were also great, but Nesta stood out and was in a different league).
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:30 am

S4P wrote:
fcb wrote:
stinger wrote:Nesta also wasn't never tested outside his comfort zone. I know he's great and all, but still...

Exactly - it means there's still some mystery - maybe he'd be good, maybe he'd be bad. With Samuel, there's no guesswork, just facts. And the facts are that he was utter garbage when playing in Spain.

So Samuel was utter garbage for Real Madrid and Rafa Benitez's Inter?
He's very talented no doubt, but he's one of the worst offenders of shirt pulling I've seen. For that and his last-ditch tackles (which usually come about through being exposed for having a lack of pace) he shouldn't be regarded as one of the very best CBs in the world.

I think pretty much every Serie A defender shirt pulls. Nesta is actually one of the worst offenders.

Like i said, last ditch tackles were what Cordoba did - not Samuel.
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:30 am

shazlx wrote:I don't know how people can rate Samuel so high but not recognise Terry. Terry can do everything Samuel does with less hastle plus he is a great passer. Samuel was shocking in the CL last year. Should have been sent off as Noah has stated.

lol! Doh

I'd say his performances were subtly beautiful.
avatar
shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
Age : 31
Supports : Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by shazlx on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:41 am

Anyway, my overaslly votes are for Nesta, Pique, Terry and Kompany.
avatar
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
Age : 107
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Jaime wrote:
I do like Godin a lot.

<Ale>


Jaime wrote:I also still believe that Gonzalo Rodriguez, on his day, is as good as anyone

<Ale>

Shame about injuries.







Nesta, Puyol, Carvalho and Thiago Silva (would have been Rio if available)



Badstuber Shocked




* Also need to mention Ignashevich - if Arsenal had a midfielder with his ability all the pundits would wank over him.

Great range of passing, can strike a ball really hard but can also curl a free-kick over a wall.

Not the best physically (like of a lot of non-brits) - he made Kevin Doyle look like Duncan Ferguson in a recent international.

avatar
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Age : 37
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by S4P on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:55 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
S4P wrote:
fcb wrote:
stinger wrote:Nesta also wasn't never tested outside his comfort zone. I know he's great and all, but still...

Exactly - it means there's still some mystery - maybe he'd be good, maybe he'd be bad. With Samuel, there's no guesswork, just facts. And the facts are that he was utter garbage when playing in Spain.

So Samuel was utter garbage for Real Madrid and Rafa Benitez's Inter?
He's very talented no doubt, but he's one of the worst offenders of shirt pulling I've seen. For that and his last-ditch tackles (which usually come about through being exposed for having a lack of pace) he shouldn't be regarded as one of the very best CBs in the world.

I think pretty much every Serie A defender shirt pulls. Nesta is actually one of the worst offenders.

Like i said, last ditch tackles were what Cordoba did - not Samuel.

lol! Doh

Watch the replays of some of your Champions League knockout round matches from last season. See how many last-ditch tackles (and fouls) Samuel commits in comparison to Lucio.
avatar
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Age : 43
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by bluenine on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:31 am

S4P wrote:
BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
I think pretty much every Serie A defender shirt pulls. Nesta is actually one of the worst offenders.

Like i said, last ditch tackles were what Cordoba did - not Samuel.

lol!

Watch the replays of some of your Champions League knockout round matches from last season. See how many last-ditch tackles (and fouls) Samuel commits in comparison to Lucio.
I actually don't understand what is so wrong in making last ditch tackles. Every defender worth his salt makes them. More often than not, a defender making a last ditch tackle saves a goal, and if anything it reflects on a mistake by one of his defensive partners.

Samuel more than makes up for his lack of pace by his excellent positioning and vision. Lucio has his strengths going forward, but he is not as good defensively as Samuel.
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:44 am

S4P wrote:
BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
S4P wrote:
fcb wrote:
stinger wrote:Nesta also wasn't never tested outside his comfort zone. I know he's great and all, but still...

Exactly - it means there's still some mystery - maybe he'd be good, maybe he'd be bad. With Samuel, there's no guesswork, just facts. And the facts are that he was utter garbage when playing in Spain.

So Samuel was utter garbage for Real Madrid and Rafa Benitez's Inter?
He's very talented no doubt, but he's one of the worst offenders of shirt pulling I've seen. For that and his last-ditch tackles (which usually come about through being exposed for having a lack of pace) he shouldn't be regarded as one of the very best CBs in the world.

I think pretty much every Serie A defender shirt pulls. Nesta is actually one of the worst offenders.

Like i said, last ditch tackles were what Cordoba did - not Samuel.

lol! Doh

Watch the replays of some of your Champions League knockout round matches from last season. See how many last-ditch tackles (and fouls) Samuel commits in comparison to Lucio.

Lucio probably did the same amount, or more, but i'm basing my judgement on matches over the last 10 years, rather than a handful matches that you caught on ITV.
avatar
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Age : 37
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by S4P on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:31 pm

I also caught a whole year of La Liga matches on Sky Sports.

blue,

Defenders who consistently have to make last ditch tackles often have to make them because they're caught out by bad positioning, or exposed by a lack of pace in the first place. Of course all defenders have to make them at some point, but Samuel must average 3-4 in a regular game. How often do you see Nesta or Ferdinand (particularly in their prime) making last ditch tackles?

Lucio is also a much better ball-playing CB than Samuel (as are most of the defenders in the list).
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:40 pm

S4P wrote:I also caught a whole year of La Liga matches on Sky Sports.

Seriously? a whole year? wowwwwww, you must be a true football expert!



Defenders who consistently have to make last ditch tackles often have to make them because they're caught out by bad positioning, or exposed by a lack of pace in the first place. Of course all defenders have to make them at some point, but Samuel must average 3-4 in a regular game. How often do you see Nesta or Ferdinand (particularly in their prime) making last ditch tackles?

Comparing Ferdinand with Nesta and Samuel.... Laugh Laugh Doh :doh

It would help if you read mine and blue's posts, because you just keep repeating the same ill-informed crap.

Samuel's game is more based around good positioning and reading of the game rather than last ditch challenges. I don't know where you've got the idea that he makes 3-4 last ditch tackles a game. Are you sure you're not thinking of Cordoba?

avatar
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Age : 33
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by COTR on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Ferdinand has had a brilliant career Bobo

You appear to be the only clown who thinks otherwise so a bit silly mocking S4P while typing something moronic in the very same sentence
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:37 pm

COTR wrote:Ferdinand has had a brilliant career Bobo

I disagree.

You appear to be the only clown who thinks otherwise so a bit silly mocking S4P while typing something moronic in the very same sentence

I think it's quite telling that there have been no votes for Ferdinand. Putting Ferdinand in the same bracket as Nesta is moronic.
avatar
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Age : 37
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by S4P on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:39 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Seriously? a whole year? wowwwwww, you must be a true football expert!

Was that not in the last 10 years? Your words were that I could not judge his performances because I had seen only a handful of Champions League games on ITV. But many of us saw him getting exposed time and again in a high defensive line and without a "protecting agency" (as TS would call it) around him.


BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Comparing Ferdinand with Nesta and Samuel.... Laugh Laugh Doh :doh

It would help if you read mine and blue's posts, because you just keep repeating the same ill-informed crap.

It would help if you read 100 other poster's posts, instead of repeating the same ill-informed crap regarding Ferdinand.

Fans can be biased towards their teams players. You should know that by now.

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Samuel's game is more based around good positioning and reading of the game rather than last ditch challenges. I don't know where you've got the idea that he makes 3-4 last ditch tackles a game. Are you sure you're not thinking of Cordoba?

So if his game is based around good positioning, why is he frequently having to make last ditch sliding tackles/blocks? Think about it.
avatar
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Age : 37
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by S4P on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:40 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:I think it's quite telling that there have been no votes for Ferdinand. Putting Ferdinand in the same bracket as Nesta is moronic.

It would help if Ferdinand was on the list bobo.
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:47 pm

S4P wrote:
Was that not in the last 10 years? Your words were that I could not judge his performances because I had seen only a handful of Champions League games on ITV. But many of us saw him getting exposed time and again in a high defensive line and without a "protecting agency" (as TS would call it) around him.

Generally, most teams have at least one DM, so having no protection agency was a pretty big handicap.



It would help if you read 100 other poster's posts, instead of repeating the same ill-informed crap regarding Ferdinand.

So you think he's as good as Nesta? If you say yes, then you really are deluded.

Fans can be biased towards their teams players. You should know that by now.

Blue made a comparison between 2 Inter players... Doh

So if his game is based around good positioning, why is he frequently having to make last ditch sliding tackles/blocks?

because he doesn't.
avatar
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Age : 43
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by bluenine on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:21 pm

S4P wrote:I also caught a whole year of La Liga matches on Sky Sports.

blue,

Defenders who consistently have to make last ditch tackles often have to make them because they're caught out by bad positioning, or exposed by a lack of pace in the first place. Of course all defenders have to make them at some point, but Samuel must average 3-4 in a regular game. How often do you see Nesta or Ferdinand (particularly in their prime) making last ditch tackles?

Lucio is also a much better ball-playing CB than Samuel (as are most of the defenders in the list).
No doubt, S4P, but this isn't about the best ball-playing CB. Samuel is the better overall CB between the two, perhaps not by much. Many of Samuel's last ditch tackles are match-winning ones, and happen due to errors from his fellow defenders. Inter are a different team when Samuel is fit, and no doubt that Leo's defensive discipline looks worse coz of Samuel's absence. His capability should not be judged over an odd poor season, but over the last 10-15 years of performances. Some of the best players have had a bad season or two. I'm a big fan of Lucio, btw, and can understand why its hard to choose between the two.
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:44 pm

S4P wrote:
BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:I think it's quite telling that there have been no votes for Ferdinand. Putting Ferdinand in the same bracket as Nesta is moronic.

It would help if Ferdinand was on the list bobo.

If someone wanted to vote for him, they could say so in the thread. But no one did...
avatar
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Age : 26
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by Luis on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:47 pm

OK - Lucio and Pique make the first team, Nesta and Carvalho make the second team <Ale>
avatar
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Age : 37
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by S4P on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
S4P wrote:
BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:I think it's quite telling that there have been no votes for Ferdinand. Putting Ferdinand in the same bracket as Nesta is moronic.

It would help if Ferdinand was on the list bobo.

If someone wanted to vote for him, they could say so in the thread. But no one did...

Rolling Eyes

It's a choice out of the people on the list. How can you vote for someone out of the list if they're not on it?

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Generally, most teams have at least one DM, so having no protection agency was a pretty big handicap.

He did have 1, just not the 5 that he's had at Inter.

Who would you call a regular first-team DM at Man Utd by the way?

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:So you think he's as good as Nesta? If you say yes, then you really are deluded.

I think you've become a little confused. I didn't say he was as good as Nesta. You said that Samuel was at roughly the same level as Nesta

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Blue made a comparison between 2 Inter players... Doh

The majority of posters on this board have a certain bias towards players within their teams. They may prefer one player to another (and defend that player until their blue in the face) because one player is a fan favourite.

Hem fet un..

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by Hem fet un.. on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Pique, Puyol, Carvalho and Nesta (but I havent seen him play in a looong time).. Terry (eventhough I hate him) is a very good call too
avatar
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Age : 33
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by COTR on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Does anything think Pique would be useful outside of his Barcelona / Spain 99% possession comfort zone ?
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:23 pm

S4P wrote:

Rolling Eyes

It's a choice out of the people on the list. How can you vote for someone out of the list if they're not on it?

mmmm....

Luis wrote:Ok there were a few more I couldn't fit onto the poll as you're only allowed a maximum 20 on this site.

Other notable additions include: Rio Ferdinand, Gary Cahill, Diego Godin, Juan, Simon Kjaer.

If you want to vote for any of them just post them and I'll add to them to the poll count at the end.

He did have 1, just not the 5 that he's had at Inter.

He didn't.

5? Think you're talking out of your arse again.

I think you've become a little confused. I didn't say he was as good as Nesta. You said that Samuel was at roughly the same level as Nesta

No i didn't.


The majority of posters on this board have a certain bias towards players within their teams. They may prefer one player to another (and defend that player until their blue in the face) because one player is a fan favourite.

Perhaps you should have said that initially. I'm sure abundance also has this strange bias towards Samuel aswell.
avatar
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Age : 28
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by Super Progress on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:28 pm

S4P
We have had the Samuel discussion on this board before and it is not as simple as him simply sucking in a defence with a high line. First of all he wasn't the flop he was made out to be. In the second half of the season the defence improved quite a bit and he had a strong influence. The stain from the first half of the season and the fact that he was non-EU player meant he was easier to sell because as I recall we needed to ditch him to get Robinho(also non-EU).

It isn't as simple as saying he sucked or anything like that. In the first half of the season he had Guti as the Dm. Guti! In the second he had Graveson, who played reasonably well in the second half of that season but everybody who followed English football(or Danish) knew that he was no Makelele despite his appearance. In fact he was an Am and a decent one at his best. Then you have to look at partners in defence. Helguera by that point had completely deterriorated and seemed more like a clown by then. Same could be said for Salgado while Carlos was better but still not what he used to be. On top of that the entire team was incredibly broken and there was little organisation in that team at all. This is the situation in which Samuel played for Real Madrid and I think he did ok on balance.

Cotr
I think you are a bit harsh on Pique. The reason I hold Pique in high esteem is that besides being a good Cb defensively he contributes a lot offensively. Now to be sure he would be more restriced in any other team then Barcelona but I still think he would be a very good Cb for other teams although perhaps not up there with the very best if judged purely on his defensive skills.
avatar
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Age : 43
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by bluenine on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:39 pm

S4P wrote:
BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Blue made a comparison between 2 Inter players...

The majority of posters on this board have a certain bias towards players within their teams. They may prefer one player to another (and defend that player until their blue in the face) because one player is a fan favourite.
Whoa there... sure, thats always a possibility... but have you considered the possibility that you actually don't know as much about Inter's defenders, specially as compared to people who watch them play every matchday?

Ok, don't take my word for it... Are you familiar with Oscar del Calcio, where players vote? Guess who won the best defender in Italy last year? Hint: Lucio didn't make the top 3. Maybe all the players are also biased?? Razz
avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Super Laudrup wrote:S4P
We have had the Samuel discussion on this board before and it is not as simple as him simply sucking in a defence with a high line. First of all he wasn't the flop he was made out to be. In the second half of the season the defence improved quite a bit and he had a strong influence. The stain from the first half of the season and the fact that he was non-EU player meant he was easier to sell because as I recall we needed to ditch him to get Robinho(also non-EU).

It's also worth noting that Samuel was very succesful in Bielsa's Argentina, where he played in a 3 man defence with a high line. I guess S4P didn't mention that because it didn't suit his agenda.

avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
COTR wrote:Ferdinand has had a brilliant career Bobo

I disagree.

You appear to be the only clown who thinks otherwise so a bit silly mocking S4P while typing something moronic in the very same sentence

I think it's quite telling that there have been no votes for Ferdinand. Putting Ferdinand in the same bracket as Nesta is moronic.

Ferdinand isn't on that list, so how can anyone vote for him? geek

S4P probably didn't mention Samuel playing well for Bielsa's Argentina in quite the same way you choose to ignore Ferdinand playing well for a Leeds team that made it to the CL semis and England in 2002 and 2006 World Cups.

Samuel obviously isn't shit, he has decent positional sense, can read the game well, is strong, good in the air, obvious decent leadership qualities. But is he really an outstanding player? If you can ignore his lack of pace, his penchance for shirt pulling, his tendency to commit last ditch tackles and fouls, his lack of ability on the ball, his lack of ability to bring the ball out of defence, his lack of passing ability, then yeah he's outstanding. Otherwise, he's in a big bunch of physical central defenders who are merely good. Certainly nothing to suggest the best in the World.

Carvahlo, Nesta and Lucio top 3




avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 31
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Noah and the Bale wrote:Ferdinand isn't on that list, so how can anyone vote for him?

Read Luis' OP.

S4P probably didn't mention Samuel playing well for Bielsa's Argentina in quite the same way you choose to ignore Ferdinand playing well for a Leeds team that made it to the CL semis and England in 2002 and 2006 World Cups.

The same Leeds that got thrashed by Barca and Valencia?

As far as i remember, he got outperformed by Campbell in 2002 and was crying like a little pussy in 2006 after losing to Portugal.

Samuel obviously isn't shit, he has decent positional sense, can read the game well, is strong, good in the air, obvious decent leadership qualities. But is he really an outstanding player? If you can ignore his lack of pace, his penchance for shirt pulling, his tendency to commit last ditch tackles and fouls, his lack of ability on the ball, his lack of ability to bring the ball out of defence, his lack of passing ability, then yeah he's outstanding. Otherwise, he's in a big bunch of physical central defenders who are merely good. Certainly nothing to suggest the best in the World.

You're just pointing out what style of defender he is, rather than actually looking at his outright ability. Not everyone is a classy ball playing defender Bernd, though fair enough if you only rate those types of defenders (and from the 3 you picked, it seems like you do).
avatar
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Age : 38
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by abundance on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Moreover, that kind of classy defender usually benefits by being paired with a physical partner.

The perfect mix IMHO needs one of both kinds.
Just think Thuram-Cannavaro, Nesta-Cannavaro, Nesta-Stam, Carvalho-Terry, Lucio-Samuel.

Snobbing the physical CB is a bit like snobbing defensive players in the various awards, they're players a team needs and their contribution often gets overlooked.

Especially in Lucio's case, I'd say he got a boost in recognition by pairing with Samuel.
He was rated, but I'm not sure many people would've put him in the top 3 before last season - in which Samuel consistently kept on covering Inter's ass with all those rough & last ditch tackles.
avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Bobo- Actually, I admire physical defenders and understand their place in the team. It's why I stick up for Dawson when he plays for us, as he is a very useful defender in terms of organising, reading and adding physical presence. But, as an individual, he's certainly not threatening the top bracket. Samuel is obviously more proven than Dawson, so this isn't a direct comparison, it's merely that there are centre backs who perform well as part of a unit, but you wouldn't like them left one on one against a forward with even a hint of pace and composure.

Players like nesta, carvahlo, lucio and yes, Ferdinand - these guys are capable of mopping up, winning balls cleanly, bringing the ball out of defence, distributing it. As individuals, a cut above the clogger types.


Incidentally, cannot be arsed to get into another Ferdinand debate, but he's proven himself on the biggest numerous times, champions league and world cups. Like lucio, prone to lapses in concentration when playing "lesser" games, but the reason he gets away with it and is respected by his own fans- who after all are any players biggest critics- is he performs more often than not when it matters.
avatar
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Age : 43
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by bluenine on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Noah, thats the entire disconnect in this debate. I would rather have Samuel one-on-one against any forward with pace/composure/etc than Lucio, any day of the week. There is a reason why we call him il Muro. He more than makes up for his lack of pace by his positioning/awareness/vision. In a one-on-one situation, I struggle to think of a better defender...
Noah and the Bale wrote:Bobo- Actually, I admire physical defenders and understand their place in the team. It's why I stick up for Dawson when he plays for us, as he is a very useful defender in terms of organising, reading and adding physical presence. But, as an individual, he's certainly not threatening the top bracket. Samuel is obviously more proven than Dawson, so this isn't a direct comparison, it's merely that there are centre backs who perform well as part of a unit, but you wouldn't like them left one on one against a forward with even a hint of pace and composure.

Players like nesta, carvahlo, lucio and yes, Ferdinand - these guys are capable of mopping up, winning balls cleanly, bringing the ball out of defence, distributing it. As individuals, a cut above the clogger types.


Incidentally, cannot be arsed to get into another Ferdinand debate, but he's proven himself on the biggest numerous times, champions league and world cups. Like lucio, prone to lapses in concentration when playing "lesser" games, but the reason he gets away with it and is respected by his own fans- who after all are any players biggest critics- is he performs more often than not when it matters.

Sponsored content

Re: Best team in the world - Centre Backs

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 am