Team Dubai?!

forza_rossi

Number of posts : 2563
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Team Dubai?!

Post by forza_rossi on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:59 am

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/909155/la-liga-side-to-be-renamed-team-dubai-after-takeover?cc=5901
Wtf is this shit? I dont know whether to find it sad or comical scratch
King Modric

Number of posts : 910
Supports : Real Madrid, soft spot for Liverpool
Favourite Player : Modric, Casillas, Alonso, Jese, Isco, Bale
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Re: Team Dubai?!

Post by King Modric on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:33 am

Wasn't Dubai recently in a worry over defaulting on their sovereign debt or at the least the corporate debt of Dubai World? How are they spending money on this shit. I should check their CDS and corporate yield on Bloomberg.

Also what pathetic club would allow this? It certainly doesn't make me think better of Dubai that they lack the taste to handle this more subtly. Surely splashing Dubai across the front of the kit would be more appropriate and enough to get the message across.

Who is debt free in La Liga? That should narrow this down.
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 am

Initial rumours suggested it's Real Zaragoza, but the latest talk is that it's Getafe. First Burger King, now Dubai...they really go for some unique partners!

Apparently the official announcement is later today.
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 am

It's Getafe for the Financial Times.

A member of the ruling family in Dubai is set to join other Middle Eastern investors in the market for European football clubs by buying a team in La Liga, Spain’s top tier.

Royal Emirates Group, a collection of companies owned by Sheikh Butti bin Suhail al-Maktoum, is set to unveil the identity of the club, understood to be Getafe, at a ceremony in Dubai on Thursday.

Associated Press reported Kaiser Rafiq, Royal Emirates’ managing director, as saying the deal was worth $90m, a figure Royal Emirates’ said was “about right”. It declined to confirm or deny whether the identity of the club was Getafe.

Spanish media reported in February that a Dubai sovereign wealth fund had reached a preliminary agreement to buy Real Zaragoza, but Royal Emirates on Tuesday denied this was the club being bought.

Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights or use this link to reference the article - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6e9689c8-6ab6-11e0-80a1-00144feab49a.html#ixzz1K3YEztRz

Getafe, 40 minutes outside of Madrid, has played in La Liga since 2004, its best performance coming last season when it finished sixth. It currently lies 14th with six games of the season left.

An invitation to Thursday’s ceremony from Royal Emirates states that the team will be named “Team Dubai”. However, the group said this title would not replace the club’s existing name, but be added to it. [...]

And at least "Getafe Team Dubai" is weird but not that ridiculous as a complete replacement would've been.
It's a bit how it works in motorsports (say, Ferrari official name was "Ferrari Marlboro" right until the ban on tobacco sponsorship). It will be interesting to see how the media will follow suit using the name. Suppose all the billboards, tables, fixture lists etc. will display the full name, but I don't see pundits pick it up in their comments.

Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:41 pm

It is not uncommon in basketball (Unicaja for example) so I suppose it could happen in football. Getafe never had much of a soul anyway. I don't like it but it's hard to criticise a club that needs cash.

fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:23 pm

It's official

christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:53 pm

No
Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Awful.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Yeek. Not quite as bad as Total Network Solutions FC, but it ain't pretty and this is a much bigger side!
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:41 am

Saw a joke earlier that I liked..

Rumours were that Libya were the ones who were going to buy the team, but the Spanish FA werent happy with the suggested name change to "Colonel Getafe"
Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
Supports : FC Den Haag!
Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Ricardo Jol on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Team Dubai is announced:

robert carlos, ronaldinho, ronaldo, Alfonso Alves, Fred, Gomes, Alex, Rivaldo, Adriano, Kaka, Julio Baptista

Discuss

Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 am

So now it actually is official. Apparently the purchase price was somewhere in the range of 70-90m euro (compared to 25m for Malaga and 30m for Racing) and the new owners have vowed to invest 100m euro over the next 4 years. For the 2011-12 season the club's budget will increase from 45m euro to 65m euro. Apparently the club is officially looking for new shirt sponsors and will be looking into options for a new stadium. Angel Torres will be staying on as acting chief for 3-4 years by the looks of things and, at least according to Torres, the name of the club will still be Getafe CF.

FootballFarrago

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Post by FootballFarrago on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:49 pm

What are the rules for changing a team's name? Shouldn't it, kind of, well, indicate where the team's from? I know half the players won't originate from there, but at least you get an idea of what city the ground's in sometimes!
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:56 pm

FootballFarrago wrote:What are the rules for changing a team's name? Shouldn't it, kind of, well, indicate where the team's from? I know half the players won't originate from there, but at least you get an idea of what city the ground's in sometimes!

Getafe actually have a few players from Madrid. Biggrin

But I do not think it is possible to just change the name. I am quite certain it would have to go through a process and be approved by LFP and who knows who else. I cannot think of any precedence for a case like this in Spain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am