Dutch Eerste Divisie Play off system ??

lagarr

Number of posts : 31
Supports : Doncaster Rovers
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Dutch Eerste Divisie Play off system ??

Post by lagarr on Wed May 04, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm trying to work out how this system works! I don't think I'm far from sussing it but I have a couple of questions for those in the know.
The period 1 winners were Zwolle - If they win the league do the 2nd place in the period table qualify ?
If so 2nd is RKC who are the period 4 winners so what happens then? 3rd in period 1 are Volendam who qualified I believe in period 2 as Zwolle won that aswell.
I'm confused!!
Also in the group stages does everyone play each other once or twice? I take it the group winners play in Eredivise the next season.

Many thanks for any help.
Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19688
Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
Favourite Player : Filip Kostic, Bergkamp, Le Tiss
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: Dutch Eerste Divisie Play off system ??

Post by Axeslammer on Wed May 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Using my English friend Wiki :

At the end of each season, the champion of the Eerste Divisie is automatically promoted to the Eredivisie. Eight other clubs enter the Nacompetitie, a promotion/relegation playoff that includes the 16th- and 17th-place clubs in the Eredivisie. The following teams qualify for the Nacompetitie:

The club with the best record in the "first period" of the season (after 8 rounds).
The club with the best record in the "second period" of the season (rounds 916).
The club with the best record in the "third period" of the season (rounds 1724).
The club with the best record in the "fourth period" of the season (rounds 2532).
The four remaining spots are filled at the season's end by the highest-placed clubs that have not already earned automatic promotion or qualified for the Nacompetitie.

If the club that wins a period has qualified for the Nacompetitie by winning a previous period, its place is filled by the next-best club in that period that has not already qualified. Usually, the clubs that qualify for the Nacompetitie turn out to be the 2nd- through 9th-placed clubs in the final table. Clubs in the Nacompetitie face each other in a knock-out system with the numbers 16 and 17 of the Eredivisie for two places in next season's Eredivisie.

Then for the fineprint I'll try to translate from my other friend (Dutch Wiki) :

At the end of the competition the order of the final ranking is leading for the playoffs !

The playoffs consist of three rounds :

1) the worst 4 teams (from the 8 that have qualified) play each other European cup tie style => 5vs8 en 6vs7

2) winner 5vs8 against the number 17 from Eredivisie, winner 6vs7 vs number 16 from Eredivisie.
Also 1vs4 and 2vs3.
All these matches are played in a best of 3 style.

3) the four winning teams are paired (doesn't say how) and will again do a best of 3 for a place in the Eredivisie

.....hope this helps Wink
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser on Wed May 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Axeslammer wrote:Using my English friend Wiki :

At the end of each season, the champion of the Eerste Divisie is automatically promoted to the Eredivisie. Eight other clubs enter the Nacompetitie, a promotion/relegation playoff that includes the 16th- and 17th-place clubs in the Eredivisie. The following teams qualify for the Nacompetitie:

The club with the best record in the "first period" of the season (after 8 rounds).
The club with the best record in the "second period" of the season (rounds 916).
The club with the best record in the "third period" of the season (rounds 1724).
The club with the best record in the "fourth period" of the season (rounds 2532).
The four remaining spots are filled at the season's end by the highest-placed clubs that have not already earned automatic promotion or qualified for the Nacompetitie.

If the club that wins a period has qualified for the Nacompetitie by winning a previous period, its place is filled by the next-best club in that period that has not already qualified. Usually, the clubs that qualify for the Nacompetitie turn out to be the 2nd- through 9th-placed clubs in the final table. Clubs in the Nacompetitie face each other in a knock-out system with the numbers 16 and 17 of the Eredivisie for two places in next season's Eredivisie.

Good lord, you Dutchies sure do make life unnecessarily complex Laughing
Ricardo Jol

Number of posts : 12766
Supports : FC Den Haag!
Favourite Player : Verhoek and Verhoek and Rado and the euro!

Post by Ricardo Jol on Wed May 04, 2011 2:56 pm

debaser wrote:
Axeslammer wrote:Using my English friend Wiki :

Good lord, you Dutchies sure do make life unnecessarily complex Laughing
You are right indeed.
It is the most stupid play off system you'll ever notice....

Those period champions are always from the top side so it is completely bullshit.. By heart, only Heerenveen once promoted despite they finished 16th in the league in 1993 because of this period system. That's 18 years ago Doh

completely silly system!
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Wed May 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Belchinees!!
lagarr

Number of posts : 31
Supports : Doncaster Rovers
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Post by lagarr on Thu May 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Just looking at the last period that ends this week, Almere City who are bottom of the table had had a decent run of late and if results go their way tomorrow could finish 3rd in the period table, given that 1st & 2nd have already qualified will they enter the play offs ? They could also finish bottom and be relegated to the Topklasse. Now what will happen then?????????

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:31 am