The new look Atlético Madrid

Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

The new look Atlético Madrid

Post by Jaime on Wed May 25, 2011 3:28 am

De Gea out, Forlan out, Aguero out. Looks like Atletico will have about 75m to reinvest in the squad.

Here is what remains:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Asenjo, Joel Robles

Defenders: Juan Valera, Antonio Lopez, Diego Godin, Alvaro Dominguez, Filipe Luis, Tomas Ujfalusi, Luis Perea, Jorge Pulido, Silvio, Miranda

Midfielders: Mario Suarez, Tiago, Elias, Fran Merida, Paulo Assuncao, Juanfran, Jose Antonio Reyes, Koke, Raul Garcia

Forwards: Diego Costa

Can anyone come up with a formula to make Atletico competitive next season?
DeLux

Number of posts : 4399
Supports : Celta Vigo
Favourite Player : Mostovoi, Xavi, David Silva, Valerón, Raúl
Registration date : 2006-08-10

Re: The new look Atlético Madrid

Post by DeLux on Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 am

If we aren't promoted they'll probably re-sign Ismael Falcón.

I don't think that Tiago will stay.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress on Wed May 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Jaime wrote:De Gea out, Forlan out, Aguero out. Looks like Atletico will have about 75m to reinvest in the squad.

Here is what remains:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Asenjo, Joel Robles

Defenders: Juan Valera, Antonio Lopez, Diego Godin, Alvaro Dominguez, Filipe Luis, Tomas Ujfalusi, Luis Perea, Jorge Pulido, Silvio, Miranda

Midfielders: Mario Suarez, Tiago, Elias, Fran Merida, Paulo Assuncao, Juanfran, Jose Antonio Reyes, Koke, Raul Garcia

Forwards: Diego Costa

Can anyone come up with a formula to make Atletico competitive next season?

So two strikers going and a keeper. I would give Asenjo a chance and focus on other areas.

Defensively they have Godin/Dominguez/Filipe/Ujfalusi which is a fine bunch so they don't need much here.

I would add Azpilicueta who can probably be gotten on the cheap. He was sold to Marseille for 7M so lets assume that is the maximum amount he will be sold for.

In:
Azpilicueta-7M

In midfield they have Tiago/Reyes/Juanfran/Raul Garcia/Assuncao/ who are capable but they have needed a proper central midfield for years now and it has always been their weak point. I would buy Manuel Fernandes from Valencia and he would also be on the cheap considering the amount Valencia are supposedly holding out for is 8M. Diego from Wolfsburg will probably be sold soon. I read that Magath wants 10M which is also pretty cheap considering he was sold for 24M just two season ago and worth every penny. I would also buy Borja Valero although it would probably take a bigger fee to convince him since he wouldn't play Cl. My gues would be that he could bought for around 15M or so. Then I would go for a squad player who can play on the wing like Bastos or Adriano from Barcelona if they could be gotten for 5-7M.

In:
Manuel Fernandes -7M
Diego-10M
Borja-15M
Adriano/Bastos-5M

They really need some strikers since they have only Costa left and I don't rate him. I would start by breaking the bank for one of Cavani/Tevez/Falcao. They would cost at least 30M which would put me even. Though they were probably going to buy other players even if Aguero/Forland/De Gea weren't sold so they would probably be able to come up with some extra money. With that I would buy a good poacher like Gilardino. I read Marseille were after him for 10M so I'll go by that valuation.

In:
Tevez/Falcao/Cavani-30M
Gilardino-10M

In Total=84M for this team:

------------------Asenjo--------

Ujfalusi--Dominguez/Azpili--Godin---Filipe

Reyes------Fernandes----Borja---Juanfran

---------------Diego-----------

------------Tevez/Cavani/Falcao------

Sub: Robles--Lopez-Perea--Tiago-Assuncao--Elias--Gilardino

Only big problem would be the strikers who would all want Cl football.
Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad on Wed May 25, 2011 4:50 pm

None of Tevez/Cavani/Falco are realistic. They're all at CL paying clubs and would cost huge amounts anyway. I don't think Borja is realistic either.

I think they should go for a crack like they did with Aguero (Lamela) Bring in a CM like Parejo, or even Dos Santos who would proabably move. Then another wide forward like Turan or Lucas.

For a striker; promote Borja and bring in one. Someone like Gameiro. I'm struggling after that.

Lamela (20mE)
Turan/Lucas (15-20me)
Gamerio (10-15mE)
Parejo (10mE)
Dos Santos (3-5mE)

So about 60m Euros.

Don't take up the option on Tiago. Sell Garcia, Assuncao + Ujfalusi.

-----------Asenjo
Silvio--Godin--Domin--Filipe
------Suarez--Parejo
Reyes-----Lamela-----Turan/Lucas
---------Gameiro

Bench: Joel, Miranda, Lopez, Elias, Dos Santos, Borja, Costa
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Wed May 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Oh and I fear for De Gea at Utd.
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Wed May 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Calidad wrote:Oh and I fear for De Gea at Utd.

I tend to agree. Obviously the talent is there but he is inconsistent, as you would expect from a GK that is so young. But when you pay 20m for a GK they will probably be expecting/demanding pretty close to perfect.
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed May 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Don't fear - Man United will win the league anyway.

A & K

Number of posts : 3347
Registration date : 2006-08-12

Post by A & K on Wed May 25, 2011 5:04 pm

I think Gameiro will end up in Valencia not in Madrid.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed May 25, 2011 5:36 pm

So beyond Aguero, Forlan, and De Gea which appear to be forgone conclusions, I would also sell Ujfalusi, Assuncao, Raul Garcia, and Valera who are all pretty useless. It does not appear they will use their option to buy on Tiago. Ruben Perez who was very good at Deportivo on loan will be back. Probably would loan Pulido to get some experience and maybe Fran Merida too.

In midfield I would try and get Gabi, who had a great season in spite of Zaragoza being sh!t, back and pair him with Parejo in midfield. Get Piatti for the left side. Lamela in behind the striker. And up front I think someone like Lavezzi would be a good move (or maybe Mauro Zarate) and could maybe be lured away from Italy. And maybe Oscar Cardozo from Benfica. And then maybe get that kid Montoya who is leaving Barcelona for a backup right back.

----------------------------------------Asenjo/Joel

Silvio/Montoya------Godin/Perea-----Dominguez/Miranda-----Filipe/A. Lopez

--------------------Gabi/M. Suarez-------Parejo/R. Perez

Reyes/Juanfran------------Lamela/Elias-----------Piatti/Koke

----------------------Lavezzi/Cardozo/D. Costa
Calidad

Post by Calidad on Wed May 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Jaime wrote:So beyond Aguero, Forlan, and De Gea which appear to be forgone conclusions, I would also sell Ujfalusi, Assuncao, Raul Garcia, and Valera who are all pretty useless. It does not appear they will use their option to buy on Tiago. Ruben Perez who was very good at Deportivo on loan will be back. Probably would loan Pulido to get some experience and maybe Fran Merida too.

In midfield I would try and get Gabi, who had a great season in spite of Zaragoza being sh!t, back and pair him with Parejo in midfield. Get Piatti for the left side. Lamela in behind the striker. And up front I think someone like Lavezzi would be a good move (or maybe Mauro Zarate) and could maybe be lured away from Italy. And maybe Oscar Cardozo from Benfica. And then maybe get that kid Montoya who is leaving Barcelona for a backup right back.

I like your team. I forgot about Perez who as you say will likely come back.

I also forgot about Pulido too who looks talented.

I'm not a fan of your picks up front though. Lavezzi isn't prolific enough to play as a lone CF, and Cardozo is too immobile IMO. I also think Lavezzi will be very expensive given he's at Napoli and they're now in the CL. That said I can't really think of many good, but realistic options myself.

Llorente? Osvaldo? (though I'd like to see both remain where they are) I'm leaning with someone more proven + experienced, as I believe they have quite high hopes for Borja. I do think that with both Forlan + Kun leaving, this is the time to for for the long overdue 4-2-3-1 formation, because I can't remember the last time Atleti has a midfield who can string 5 passes together,

It's almost certain they'll have to bring in at least one 'big' name to appease the fans, because Aguero is worshipped there. And with Forlan and De Gea going too, the fans will expect investment.

What's amazing is that they've not managed to get about 25m for two keepers in the past year or so, and they still have the current U19 GK at their club, as well as Asenjo who was billed as the next Casillas.
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Wed May 25, 2011 6:24 pm

The first thing to decide is who should be the coach of the new look Atletico Madrid. All this talk of players is pointless unless they first decide who will be the coach and what formation he'll play and what tactics he'll use. If it's Luis Enrique, then their current 4-2-3-1 will probably not be what we see going forward.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed May 25, 2011 6:51 pm

kas - the point of the thread is for you to be the coach and decide. it's just hypothetical.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed May 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Calidad wrote:
Jaime wrote:So beyond Aguero, Forlan, and De Gea which appear to be forgone conclusions, I would also sell Ujfalusi, Assuncao, Raul Garcia, and Valera who are all pretty useless. It does not appear they will use their option to buy on Tiago. Ruben Perez who was very good at Deportivo on loan will be back. Probably would loan Pulido to get some experience and maybe Fran Merida too.

I like your team. I forgot about Perez who as you say will likely come back.

I also forgot about Pulido too who looks talented.

I'm not a fan of your picks up front though. Lavezzi isn't prolific enough to play as a lone CF, and Cardozo is too immobile IMO. I also think Lavezzi will be very expensive given he's at Napoli and they're now in the CL. That said I can't really think of many good, but realistic options myself.

Llorente? Osvaldo? (though I'd like to see both remain where they are) I'm leaning with someone more proven + experienced, as I believe they have quite high hopes for Borja. I do think that with both Forlan + Kun leaving, this is the time to for for the long overdue 4-2-3-1 formation, because I can't remember the last time Atleti has a midfield who can string 5 passes together,

It's almost certain they'll have to bring in at least one 'big' name to appease the fans, because Aguero is worshipped there. And with Forlan and De Gea going too, the fans will expect investment.

What's amazing is that they've not managed to get about 25m for two keepers in the past year or so, and they still have the current U19 GK at their club, as well as Asenjo who was billed as the next Casillas.

I forgot Napoli were going to be in the CL. I was thinking he played for Lazio. I would not take Cardozo as the first choice but I think he can score enough to be a good backup and maybe a plan B of sorts. Osvaldo is a decent shout although my guess is he will end up in the EPL. Llorente, I don't think he will leave Athletic for a team like Atletico. I wonder if they could get Lisandro Lopez. Probably not.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress on Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 pm

I forgot they needed a coach too. Well I gues you know who I'm going with. Razz
This is exactly the type of club Laudrup is suited for and not those small clubs that he keeps picking. He missed out back when he could have managed Sevilla. Atletico has the quality players needed to play his type of game and he will actually be able to get players in his mould.

Will update mine by adding Arda. I couldn't think of any good wingers that could be added. I wonder why nobody else is mentioning Diego. He still has a lot of upside and would be quite cheap and with much experience. Also I don't think any of you are getting a lot out of those 75M. The striker replacement will be the hardest since they would struggle to attract a craque. Lisandro isn't a bad choice but Lyon paid quite a bit for him. If they could snatch a cheap Drogba that would be a great move since they could then focus on midfield.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 am