European Super Cup - Barcelona vs. Porto

Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Re: European Super Cup - Barcelona vs. Porto

Post by Fade out on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Boring friendly
The Pr÷fess÷r

Number of posts : 10076
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by The Pr÷fess÷r on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:51 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:
Messiah wrote:
blutgraetsche wrote:
fcb wrote:
blutgraetsche wrote:Yeah yeah, "he saved us so often, he is so great etc. etc.", I stand by my view that I had for years: Valdes is not good enough for FC Barcelona.

Who is? I've seen few goalkeepers that are as good as him at coming off their line and playing as a "sweeper keeper".

At least 5 top keepers are better than him. And his footballing side of things is totally overrated, as could be seen numerous times today.

lol! lol! lol! :lol! at everything but especially the not good enough for barca bit

You can laugh all you want. I'm telling it like it is. He was shit today in many ways, not just his footballing side. How he handled crosses into the box, for instance. Playing for Barca doesn't make you 'world class' automatically, you know.

I agree with u he's an avrage keeper. Even Barca fans have long seen him as average(check the old Barca threads), it's just after winning so much with him in goal they all decided Valdes was infact underrated. Barca can definitely do beter.

People often complain about Messi winning all these individual awards ahead the likes of xavi and Iniesta - he'll keep on winning them as long as he keeps being so influential for them, and deserevedly so. Scored the opening goal today, got fouled for the red card and he created the other goal - he's just insanely good.

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
Supports : Palestine
Favourite Player : HÚlder Barbosa
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:52 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Is Adriano Barca quality? Have my doubts.

blutgraetsche wrote:
blutgraetsche wrote:Yeah yeah, "he saved us so often, he is so great etc. etc.", I stand by my view that I had for years: Valdes is not good enough for FC Barcelona.

Germans Rolling Eyes

It's not about individuals, it's about the team. Most Barcelona players aside from the obvious few wouldn't be considered good enough, Keita, Pedro, Busquets, Maxwell, Adriano, Abidal wouldn't get near the Real Madrid starting line up for example - but there's a reason this team keeps pwning Real.

I think the referee spoilt this game. And the iTv commentator.
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fu▀ballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Busquets wouldn't? You must be on crack Glenn.

Pedro is another rather underrated Barca player, as is Keita. Maxwell and Adriano I give you, but they are hardly Barca key players. Missed the point.
fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 am

blutgraetsche wrote:
fcb wrote:
Name them then. I'd like to know whether they are really so much better than Valdes that they deserve 20-25m (at least) to be spent on them in transfer fees, money that can be focused on other areas of the team.

I don't care about who's the best all round keeper, there's obviously loads better than Valdes in many aspects of the game. I don't think you'll find any Barša fan trying to claim Valdes is among the top keepers in the world. I don't know where or how this "best footballing keeper in the world" thing started either. Especially considering how difficult it is to measure that kind of attribute for keepers.

But there are few, if any, that can play in Barša's system as well as he does, due to him being homegrown and knowing the system. I don't know what's your problem with what he does when he runs out - most of the time he does the right thing. He gets passed the ball back 20 times a match, and gets it out practically every time. His balls out to either fullback on the flank are usually decent as well, as decent as you get for such long range passes. Don't judge him on what was a very poor pitch tonight.

The other important thing is that he has improved a lot in the last few years, and is more reliable now. Sure he has occasional crazy moments (like all keepers, including the supposed God that is Neuer) but it's greatly reduced from the past, and in most games he's pretty normal now. A matchwinner even.

You seem to miss the point completely. A 'good footballing goal keeper' doesn't hoof the ball outside of the pitch every time an opposition player comes even near him. The slightest "pressure", if you can even call it that, by the Porto players today was enough for Valdes to lose possession. That's not what a good footballer, let alone sweeper keeper, does. And hence I believe that this side of his game that supposedly makes him so valuable for you guys is totally overrated. And having watched Barca a lot in recent times, it wasn't exactly the first time either.

I just don't get how you either can't or don't want to see that. It's so friggin obvious to me it hurts. Maybe we're used to a different standard of goal keeping then, although Spain actually do have a number of excellent keepers these days, and yes, better keepers than Valdes.

Umm...news flash: Valdes *doesn't* boot the ball out every time it comes near him. He usually takes a good touch, and makes a simple pass back out to a defender. Or sometimes he plays a chipped ball out to Dani Alves on the flank, which he's not always accurate with, but that's a low percentage ball anyway due to Alves having to win a header to get the ball, and a low margin of error since it's close to the touchline.

As I said, don't let the bad pitch last night influence your thoughts.

The Professor wrote:
blutgraetsche wrote:
Messiah wrote:
blutgraetsche wrote:
fcb wrote:

Who is? I've seen few goalkeepers that are as good as him at coming off their line and playing as a "sweeper keeper".

At least 5 top keepers are better than him. And his footballing side of things is totally overrated, as could be seen numerous times today.

lol! lol! lol! :lol! at everything but especially the not good enough for barca bit

You can laugh all you want. I'm telling it like it is. He was shit today in many ways, not just his footballing side. How he handled crosses into the box, for instance. Playing for Barca doesn't make you 'world class' automatically, you know.

I agree with u he's an avrage keeper. Even Barca fans have long seen him as average(check the old Barca threads), it's just after winning so much with him in goal they all decided Valdes was infact underrated. Barca can definitely do beter.

People often complain about Messi winning all these individual awards ahead the likes of xavi and Iniesta - he'll keep on winning them as long as he keeps being so influential for them, and deserevedly so. Scored the opening goal today, got fouled for the red card and he created the other goal - he's just insanely good.

Doh

Maybe we started saying he's a good keeper (and a lot of other people in Spain considering the support he got for being in the Spain squad, even though there were other candidates probably better than him for the 3rd spot) because he's actually made crucial saves that helped us win games? I'm not just saying in big finals, but in league games as well, preserving 1-0s and 2-1s. Have you already forgotten his save in the Super Cup?

Yes, we can probably do better, but is it worth spending over 20m euros on buying a replacement for him? As an Arsenal fan, you should be able to understand things from that perspective...
Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:59 pm

I wouldn't have any keeper over Valdes. He is currently the best in the world.

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Kas needs to stop being so modest about him being good, Valdez is fucking great.

Iker
Cesar
Reina
VV

The best keepers in the world right now, VDV would have made the five before he retired and at the moment he is arguably the best of the lot, Iker is not the iker of 4-5 years ago and has become a lot more error prone.

Spain

Real-Iker
Villarreal- Lopez
Valencia-Alves

Italy
Inter-Cesar
Milan-Abbiati
Juve- Buffon
Roma- Stekelenburg

England

Man Utd - De Gea
Chelsea - Cech
Man City - Hart
Arsneal - Szczesny

bayern-Neuer

Who among them is better than VV, over the past 3-4 years.

It is literally impossible for us to do better than VV right now, anyone we bring in will just be a straight swap in terms of quality

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:54 pm