Blatter gate

Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Blatter gate

Post by Super Progress on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Sepp Blatter has responded to criticism from Rio Ferdinand regarding the FIFA president's controversial comments about racism in football and choice of photo that accompanied his clarification.

Blatter said on Wednesday he believes a racist exchange between players during a match should be reconciled with a hand shake after the final whistle.

His words have led to calls for the Swiss to resign from his position as FIFA president, with PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor among those stating he should step down.

A statement was issued by Blatter on Wednesday evening in the hope of clarifying his comments, and with it accompanied a photo of the 72-year-old standing alongside South African minister Tokyo Sexwale, who was imprisoned on Robben Island during the apartheid era.

Manchester United defender Ferdinand reacted to the choice of photo on his official Twitter account, posting: "Fifa clear up the blatter comments with a pic of him posing with a black man..I need the hand covering eyes symbol!!"

Previously, Ferdinand had contacted Blatter's account directly, writing: "@SeppBlatter your comments on racism are so condescending its [sic] almost laughable. If fans shout racist chants but shake our hands is that ok?"

Blatter has now responded to Ferdinand via Twitter. He said: "The 'black man' as you call him has a name: Tokyo Sexwale. He has done tremendous work against racism and apartheid in Africa.

"We have done several joint activities to raise awareness on the struggle against racism in South Africa. FIFA has a long standing and proud record in the area of anti-discrimination which will continue."

Ferdinand later replied to Blatter, writing: "@SeppBlatter to say what you said about racism in football spoke volumes of your ignorance to the subject.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/?cc=5739
Generally I think comments about race gets blown out of proportion and too many are too sensitive but this is just stupid from Blatter. And the way he handles it with him posing next to a black guy. Doh

Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Re: Blatter gate

Post by Allez les rouges on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Rio Ferdinand, the semi-literate go-to poster boy for international political correctness Doh

We're used to Blatter being an inexcusable tool by now but Ferdinand almost outdoes him for facepalmage and sheer cringeworthiness. Which, on reflection, is quite some achievement Ale
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Why Ferdinand's comments should be met with such intellectual disdain by Allez is interesting. Isn't Ferdinand both black and a footballer, presumably been subject to racial abuse at some point or points during his career, and therefore a firsthand opinion on the subject? So whatever his IQ may be, seems a more substantial individual to comment than those offered by predominantly white middle class journalists and "fans".

But yes, I can't help smirking at his crassness. However, doesn't mean he isn't making a very valid and obvious point though. Blatter will no doubt blame context and language, but he's been in the job long enough to have learnt by now to keep his trap shut or risk sounding like a pigheaded fool (thinking the comments on female footballers in particular)

Noticed Oliver Holt has been giving it the big one on Twitter as well. In my opinion far more cringeworthy than anything Ferdinand has been saying. That bloke is such an opinionated tool on the subject, taking in Suarez, Terry and Blatter cases in a severe case of twitter diarrhea
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:Rio Ferdinand, the semi-literate go-to poster boy for international political correctness Doh

We're used to Blatter being an inexcusable tool by now but Ferdinand almost outdoes him for facepalmage and sheer cringeworthiness. Which, on reflection, is quite some achievement Ale

<Ale>

But then this is hardly surprising. Rio seems to be wading in with an opinion on everything these days. God help anyone who actually follows twitter.

I'm finding it hard to care about any of this. Are we supposed to feel some sort of outrage that Suarez may or may not have shouted something 'nasty' at little Patrice Evra on a football pitch? Likewise Terry and A.Ferdinand.

Does anyone actually care?
Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Dunno, I'm guessing it probably matters to people who aren't White. Have any of us been subjected to racial
Abuse? I suspect if you're prone to watching games in a country where your skin tone is in the majority then you probably haven't and are therefore less bothered by it all.

However, if I were black footballer and my brother had recently been (allegedly) racially abused by a player I'd regularly played with at international level and the head of World Football was making belligerent comments that appeared to be downplaying the issue, I'd probably care a little more than most.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Noah und der Bale wrote:Dunno, I'm guessing it probably matters to people who aren't White. Have any of us been subjected to racial
Abuse?
I suspect if you're prone to watching games in a country where your skin tone is in the majority then you probably haven't and are therefore less bothered by it all.

However, if I were black footballer and my brother had recently been (allegedly) racially abused by a player I'd regularly played with at international level and the head of World Football was making belligerent comments that appeared to be downplaying the issue, I'd probably care a little more than most.

Asian guy once took a racial pop at me.

To be honest name calling has never bothered me. When it comes to civil rights, political injustice etc, yes lets have a racism shit storm. But I can't be arsed with a media circus over a rich man calling another rich man a negrito, or whatever he was called.
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Super Stalin wrote:
Generally I think comments about race gets blown out of proportion and too many are too sensitive but this is just stupid from Blatter. And the way he handles it with him posing next to a black guy. Doh

That was the most cringe-worthy part of it, reminded me of when Dubya reacted to Kanye West calling him a racist by spending the next 48 hours hanging out with every black person connected to his administration Laughing

As for the words, I don't feel offended by it - Blatter's comments are a by-product of the generation he comes from rather than a malicious statement born out of ignorance. Dave Whelan made a similar "just get on with it" statement a couple of weeks ago - too much sensitivity over the words of two old dudes IMO.
Murray

Number of posts : 10211

Post by Murray on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:48 pm

As usual the media numpties overhype racism and make it out to be the greatest crime imaginable.

So what if thick millionaire footballers occasionally call each other niggers or wogs.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Murray wrote:As usual the media numpties overhype racism and make it out to be the greatest crime imaginable.

So what if thick millionaire footballers occasionally call each other niggers or wogs.

Sky have been going around asking black footballers if they've ever received racial insults. "Someone called me a n****r", call me a nazi but I really don't give much of a shit. I need to cut my finger nails, that is a more pressing matter.

Last edited by Kimbo on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:53 am

For me it also depends on the intention of what was said. Sometimes in heat of it you just talk shit. It doesn't mean you're a racist. Now if you see a pattern of players saying some racist shit on the pitch then that is a different thing though. I would rather let the fans take such players apart. In Terry's case though I don't know if he can be shamed more than he already has. And by now Blatter probably doesn't give a shit about anything. I would prefer Blatter getting fired over something else but this will do for me.
Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:12 am

Noah und der Bale wrote:Why Ferdinand's comments should be met with such intellectual disdain by Allez is interesting. Isn't Ferdinand both black and a footballer, presumably been subject to racial abuse at some point or points during his career, and therefore a firsthand opinion on the subject? So whatever his IQ may be, seems a more substantial individual to comment than those offered by predominantly white middle class journalists and "fans".

I find it fatuous posturing I'm afraid.

As I said, you don't get any prizes for pointing out Blatter's idiocy; there are clearly instances where what happens on the field is too serious and unpleasant to be dealt with by a handshake. TS is right to point out that this is probably more insensitivity and ignorance than real bigotry and is also bang on the money to make the point (as Marcotti did yesterday on the BBC) that when Whelan made a similar comment a few weeks ago there was next to no reaction. It is interesting that the "shitstorm" here has been confined largely to the UK. And there are better reasons for getting rid of Blatter (Qatar anyone?) than yet another storm of spurious outrage over "you can't say that".

And on the other hand, there is a real point here; I for one find it a bit laughable that this Suarez/Evra business is reaching the courts when that evil thug Gerrard got off scot-free in his local crown court for demonstrably assaulting a man in a bar. There is too much legislating for what people should be able to make judgements about and take responsibility for in an adult democracy (we can have a debate on the scandalous proposal to ban smoking in cars off-topic if you like).

What irritates me about "ferdy5" wading it with his 0.05 cents here is the way that it's a sign of the times, self-appointed guardians of what's right-on and politically correct with a large platform and audience for their trivial contributions and unelected pseudo-politicking. It indicates the debasement of our media and public debate. Maybe you're right and there are a thousand other more irritating, insignificant but self-important fuckos on Twitter; all the more reason for me not to go there.

I don't mean to offend but it sometimes does my head in when people take the line of least resistance and criticize others for daring to disagree and pick up on a different point. It's a bit like the poppy bullshit when a cause that started off being highly sympathetic was utterly debased by the shameful grandstanding over it.

If Ferdinand had something worthwhile to say perhaps he should comment on the Stephen Lawrence trial, which is a damn sight more important.

In other news, Tokyo Sexwale is clearly a made-up name
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 am

@ Progress - I agree that many things can be said in the heat of the moment - as long as the person realises the error of their ways and apologises there is always a way back.

Allez - Just to bring up my generational point - when I went on a lads trip to Budapest (STUNNING WOMEN! Smiley) last month (with 6 of my black friends) we kinda applied an unwritten rule to not to ask anyone who looked over 40ish for advice/directions.

You can call me prejudiced and ageist for taking such a stance, but the fact is older people tend to just be set in their ways, anyone in their 20's/early 30's would be far more approachable. Plus, people in big cities tend to be far more tolerant of "different" things.

Great point on the Stephen Lawrence trial - Anyone growing up in London in the aftermath of that knows what an impact it had on the psyche of the city.

Kimbo is also right to mention the shameless grandstanding of Sky - the same news channel that found every dumb nigga they could to represent black youth whilst the riots were happening.

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
Supports : Palestine
Favourite Player : Hlder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:10 am

There's such a huge difference between calling someone a black c**t and institutionalised racism, and in this and other countries we tend to protect certain minorities more than others. Terry could have just as well called Ferdinand a gay c**t, a ginger c**t, a fat c**t. Ferdinand is black, let's not forget - and chances are he is a c**t. War is war, there would be greater cause for concern if instead of Terry calling Ferdinand a black c**t, he refused to hire him based on his race.

Suarez calling Evra a n****r is a different matter, I'm not one to shy away from calling a spade a spade, I don't think it's ok to use this word out of context, and unless Suarez legally owns Evra, he shouldn't be calling him a n****r.

What we will always have is those who muddy the water with extreme arguments from either camp - and they do nothing to help either case.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:42 am

Allez les rouges wrote:

I don't mean to offend but it sometimes does my head in when people take the line of least resistance and criticize others for daring to disagree and pick up on a different point. It's a bit like the poppy bullshit when a cause that started off being highly sympathetic was utterly debased by the shameful grandstanding over it.

Fair enough, but - again this isn't meant to point fingers or offend - there is an equally pertinent case to be made regarding the intense irritation caused by people who consistently adopt a non conformist view, failing to recognise there is a major difference between balanced, rational thinking and being conditioned to revert to the anti-mainstream in order to somehow protect their individuality and obtain a position of intellectual superiority over the apparently "thick" masses.

You say it's fatuous posturing and Ferdinand should comment on the Lawrence case if he's truly interested in offering his 0.05 cents on the subject of racism.

Fatuous posturing claim is up for personal interpretation, but aside from that I would find it far stranger that a subject that Ferdinand has zero first (or probably second or third or fourth) hand knowledge or experience of - namely a complex court case involving a murder that occurred 17 years ago - would be something he would feel an urge to comment on in comparison to the Blatter issue (especially given his brother's current situation).

Personally, just because there are bigger issues to take on (the Qatar business) doesn't mean Blatter should be allowed to squirm his way out of this one off the back of a "we all know he shouldn't have said that, but hey, it's Blatter!" attitude. Silly old privileged Swiss Banker c**t needs to get out and watch a game in Hungary like the one I did recently, and try explaining how helpful his comments will have been to the black player who was mercilessly hounded by the entire stadium from start to finish "in the heat of the moment" Laughing

Incidentally, FIFPro player's Union has also now spoken up about it. So it's gone international. Rio can now get back to commenting on his clothing range cheers Ale

Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Noah und der Bale wrote:
Allez les rouges wrote:

Fair enough, but - again this isn't meant to point fingers or offend - there is an equally pertinent case to be made regarding the intense irritation caused by people who consistently adopt a non conformist view, failing to recognise there is a major difference between balanced, rational thinking and being conditioned to revert to the anti-mainstream in order to somehow protect their individuality and obtain a position of intellectual superiority over the apparently "thick" masses.

Er hello, I'm not Pierre here. I'm not just "trying to be different" for the sake of it. I can see that you can describe my viewpoint as sneering if you want to put that spin on it; well fair enough, but a sceptical, questioning attitude is necessary in order to avoid being repeatedly brainwashed, or more fairly sucked into the vortex of "right-thinking" bullshit flowing around the media and political arena particularly in the UK these days. It's what substitutes for statesmanship among politicians (we haven't got any real ideas or vision of our own, so we'll garner a few votes by taking another pop at "the bankers", or prove our health credentials by promoting the banning of yet another "unhealthy" private behaviour...)).

This will sound a bit generalist, but when the issue is essentially another one that is all about the things people say, rather than what they do (cf. varieties of "hate speech", the apologies for crimes of the colonial past, the assault on "climate change deniers"...) I get very suspicious, because this is yet again a manifestation of the trivialization of public discourse. A serious lack of perspective has gone on here, yet again, because this boils down to another majority-led "you can't say that" issue.

I think it's the general bandwagon of outrage that winds me up more than the notion of resigning over a verbal gaffe, because obviously people being forced to resign over the latter has happened many times before. And while I wouldn't seek to defend Blatter on the specific racism issue, I would argue first that this is quite simply just the latest stupid thing he's said, and second that anyone who points out that most of these things should be sorted out at as low a level as possible, without going running to mummy/the FA/European Court or whatever, is probably right. Kimbo, Murray etc made the same point far less long-windedly than me.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:
Noah und der Bale wrote:
Allez les rouges wrote:

This will sound a bit generalist, but when the issue is essentially another one that is all about the things people say, rather than what they do (cf. varieties of "hate speech", the apologies for crimes of the colonial past, the assault on "climate change deniers"...) I get very suspicious, because this is yet again a manifestation of the trivialization of public discourse. A serious lack of perspective has gone on here, yet again, because this boils down to another majority-led "you can't say that" issue.

Brilliant point this - totally agree. Although for people in Blatter's position:: what they say resonates just as powerfully as what they do. That's the responsibility he takes in such a position of influence. Call it misplaced politics, but it is what it is.

Incidentally, wasn't a jab at you or Pierre or Puro actually. This is a football forum which exists off the back of generating discussion and debate, so of course taking a different view is to be expected and welcomed. I know people in that crazy world they call REAL LIFE who are like this though that does my head in. Just because it's a popular opinion doesn't mean it's right, but just as importantly it doesn't mean it's wrong either.

I've been reading that in other parts of the Europe people are very sceptical about the UK reaction to this Blatter issue, since it comes off the back of England's failed bid to host the 2018 World Cup and the investigations into FIFA corruption. This seems a little misplaced. The UK Establishment has long been publically vocal - or if you're a cynic: "posturized" - against racial intolerance towards black people in football. Think back to the media reaction to the England friendly in Spain in 2004 which was also met on the continent with a hefty degree of scepticism. Unsurprising given there is certainly a xenophobia found within swathes of the gutter press (Daily Mail / Daily Star and their tireless crusades against immigration) and politics, accusations of hypocrisy still found today (a la the Whelan comments) etc.

But cut through all that bullshit for a minute: the proof has to be in the pudding - the UK is ahead of even first rate European countries like Spain and Italy and miles ahead of Eastern Europe when it comes to accepting black footballers. So there has been a lot of doing to go with the posturing. We should be asking why isn't there a little bit more of both saying and doing going on in countries who should know better now. I'd like to go to a game in Hungary where I don't have to witness the indignity of black players being routinely abused like second class citizens whilst stewards stand around and do nothing and the media refuses to report on it. Until that happens I have a fair dose of contempt for those countries sitting on their backsides looking in and saying and doing nothing. Innit Ale
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Is the Suarez-Evra thing going to court?
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Deluded F*ck wrote:@ Progress - I agree that many things can be said in the heat of the moment - as long as the person realises the error of their ways and apologises there is always a way back.

Allez - Just to bring up my generational point - when I went on a lads trip to Budapest (STUNNING WOMEN! Smiley) last month (with 6 of my black friends) we kinda applied an unwritten rule to not to ask anyone who looked over 40ish for advice/directions.

You can call me prejudiced and ageist for taking such a stance, but the fact is older people tend to just be set in their ways, anyone in their 20's/early 30's would be far more approachable. Plus, people in big cities tend to be far more tolerant of "different" things.

Great point on the Stephen Lawrence trial - Anyone growing up in London in the aftermath of that knows what an impact it had on the psyche of the city.

Kimbo is also right to mention the shameless grandstanding of Sky - the same news channel that found every dumb nigga they could to represent black youth whilst the riots were happening.
I apply that same rule as well although I tend to be postively surprised. I remember when I visited the Czech Republic and I was just amazed at how grumpy people were to me but I soon figured out it wasn't a race thing but they are a just a miserable people in general. That is why I have a hard time getting a good read on East Europeans.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Super Stalin wrote:Is the Suarez-Evra thing going to court?

No.

Suarez has been charged by the FA which means it'll be dealt with in house: he'll plead guilty/not guilty and probably request a personal hearing.

The FA will then make a decision which could include a ban or fine.

Different to the Terry/Ferdinand investigation which has involved the police and could be taken to a criminal court

fcb

Number of posts : 40471
Supports : FC Barcelona
Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:32 pm

TwopTwips: BOMBARD @SeppBlatter with insults all day - if he takes any offence, the offer of a simple handshake will suffice. (via @exiguous99)
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Deluded F*ck wrote:As for the words, I don't feel offended by it - Blatter's comments are a by-product of the generation he comes from rather than a malicious statement born out of ignorance. Dave Whelan made a similar "just get on with it" statement a couple of weeks ago - too much sensitivity over the words of two old dudes IMO.

Everyone's a product of the generation/environment. Ignorance could be accounted for too.

People get sensitive precisely because these old dudes are white.

A thin person could pretend to be a fat person; experience 'fat life' & call themselves 'fat ass'! A fat person can never pretend to be thin. The privileged white caucasian male might think it's cool to call someone nigga/black c**t in jest, but the black man could never insult him in equal terms.
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!

Number of posts : 4759
Supports : Italia and Milan
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Noah und der Bale wrote:

Brilliant point this - totally agree. Although for people in Blatter's position:: what they say resonates just as powerfully as what they do. That's the responsibility he takes in such a position of influence. Call it misplaced politics, but it is what it is.

I think this is definitely a key point of the issue. If someone is ignorant, flippant, or cavalier about race in conversation or in a profession that doesn't have widespread exposure, one can be forgiven for misspeaking. However, while Blatter may be a corpulent moron at the head of an increasingly grotesque organization, his words do indeed register, and to varying degrees for different people.

Like you said, a black person may take Terry's or Suarez's alleged comments very seriously. This is often hard to explain to people who are not at the receiving end of such bigotry. The very fact that the issue is being discussed in England, and the very fact that many are rebuking Blatter, shows a welcomed degree of maturity and sensitivity. This isn't about political correctness, or even about the far-from-ambassadorial Ferdinand chiming, or, er, tweeting in, but it is chiefly about the trivialization of a substantial issue. Blatter's comments come a few years after Zoro (formerly of Messina) almost walked off the pitch after being assailed by the most repellent racial abuse imaginable. The Lega's response to the seething thugs in the crowd was perfunctory condemnation and a laughable fine. Stadia in Italy and Spain are notoriously host to racist gargoyles. However, rather than honestly discuss the issue I have had some Italian friends dismiss the racist heckling as, essentially, pragmatic but not heartfelt. WTF you say? If I'm being generous enough to indulge them, what I surmise they mean is that these people aren't racist, they just want to get under the skin of players, and what better way to do that than draw attention to their skin? Alas, we can all take a deep breath, the thugs from Verona and Atalanta are eminent pragmatists, jostling for their team's power. Doh

Now, let's reverse the situation. How would Italian or Spanish players feel if they were being bombarded with racist insults? Would these same people who dismiss the abuse towards black players have misgivings or would they determine the abuse to be an effective ruse by the crowd? The very fact that this kind of attitude still exists amongst fans (and these friends of mine weren't and aren't thugs by any stretch) shows how serious the situation is.

Granted, what has happened with Anton Ferdinand etc. is just between players, but it is symptomatic of a larger issue. The heartening thing is that there has been near unanimous ridicule of Blatter's comments because people are fairly unequivocal about their disapproval of racism against black players. Were it an issue involving a Muslim, you can bet that there would be two camps: one, who would say that there is legitimate Islamophobia and another who would say that Muslims are too sensitive and restricting our freedom of speech. The latter wouldn't just be EDL members either.

Kiwi00

Number of posts : 13
Supports : Neuseeland, Deutschland, The Mighty Wellington Phoenix
Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Kiwi00 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:29 pm

People like Allez are going to have a winge but the fact that Blatter is undermining an anti-racism campaign in his own organisation with his bafoon-ish comments is both a disgrace and an embarassment, even a society such as the Swiss surely can't sweep such disgusting sentiments under the carpet. For all the horrendous things our Sepp has said before, he had to go for this, there is no defence, no way you can say that maybe eveyone likes to see tighter shorts. Covering up Racism is the bottom of the pile, he needs to be pushed over the edge that he has for years refused to throw himself over. Goodbye Sepp, good riddance, you filthy scumbag
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Brian2468

Number of posts : 4873

Post by Brian2468 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Glad Ferdinand put in his pennies worth.
Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
Favourite Player : Ozil
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:57 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2064221/Emmanuel-Eboue-pelted-missiles-ugly-scenes-Turkey.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Please tell me people have seen this?

It's alright though, we can solve it with a handshake Rolling Eyes
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Yeah I saw that..pretty horrendous.
fcb

Post by fcb on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Romford Pele wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2064221/Emmanuel-Eboue-pelted-missiles-ugly-scenes-Turkey.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Please tell me people have seen this?

It's alright though, we can solve it with a handshake Rolling Eyes

Why is it in a thread about race issues? scratch

There is nothing to suggest the motives of a fan base largely made up of supporters of great rivals Besiktas, was race, but the scenes will do little to help the reputation of Turkish football...

The Ivory Coast international has also developed the same reputation he had unfortunately cultivated in London, that of a diver, something many believe was the cause of the attack.
Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
Favourite Player : Ozil
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm

I put it in this thread just in reponse to what Blatter said last week.

And are you really shitting me?

Even if the guy does have some sort of reputation as a "diver", that doesn't justify the attack. And nobody bore the brunt of the fans bar Eboue so please remove this trollop from my eyesight.
fcb

Post by fcb on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:22 pm

If it was about race, then why didn't Kazim Kazim and Felipe Melo, two other Galatasaray players who played in this game, also get the same abuse?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:13 pm