Club World Cup

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Supports : Arsenal
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: Club World Cup

Post by Sheffield gunner on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:18 am

3-0

Cesc with the third and this isn't a contest.
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:19 am

dont be that unfair on neymar

messi has world class players as team mates and a well working philosophy

neymar not, and he is only 19

worms.

Number of posts : 5010
Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Post by worms. on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:21 am

fcb wrote:Xavi's control Ale

He's good but no Berbatov.

Barca look real fired up here,could see them going on a crazy run like last year with 10 + consecutive wins.

So Santos wait the whole season for this game and the manager pussys out of playing Elano at the last minute Doh

Last edited by worms on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:22 am

Total humiliation.

I expected a 3 - 1 for Barça with much more possession, but not such a humiliation.

This Barça is the best club team I've ever seen in my life.

worms.

Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23

Post by worms. on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:22 am

Kroos wrote:dont be that unfair on neymar

messi has world class players as team mates and a well working philosophy

neymar not, and he is only 19

Ganso,Elano? But ye I agree it's hard to play well when your facing Barca in god mode.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:24 am

Sheffield gunner wrote:Messi scores a really nicely worked goal (although the defending was poor).

If an English club was playing Barcelona and having so little of the ball someone on here would be referring to 'pussy football'. Santos look to be hoping for chances on the counter, but it's hard to see them holding out if they allow Barcelona to keep dictating the match as they have done.

Brazilian clubs have been playing pussy football for years now. Even when Inter beat Barça and São Paulo beat Liverpool, they played pussy football and could very well have lost.
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:24 am

To be fair, Santos play even worse than Segunda side. Ganso has turned up, but the ball hasn't turned up on his feet. Borges Laughing Neymar's selfishness got exposed. The overhype before the game showed up.
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:24 am

Xavi is one of the all time greats - no doubt about that.

I was intrugued as to the why the linesman had his flag up for the 1st goal but then put it down again scratch

No one protested and commentators didn't mention it.
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:25 am

The pass came off the defender eh? So no offside? That's still rubbish refereeing.
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:26 am

I just want this game to be over so the players can get some rest and return January ready to make a proper run, by the looks of this game, i think JDS will stay with the first team in light of villa's injury with perhaps, Roberto getting a few games, while Keita is away.Iniesta and Cesc joining the front line from here on it.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:27 am

Barça repeats Zico's Flamengo against Liverpool in 1981. At half time, Flamengo 3 - 0.

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 am

Mongrel Hawk wrote:
Sheffield gunner wrote:Messi scores a really nicely worked goal (although the defending was poor).

If an English club was playing Barcelona and having so little of the ball someone on here would be referring to 'pussy football'. Santos look to be hoping for chances on the counter, but it's hard to see them holding out if they allow Barcelona to keep dictating the match as they have done.

Brazilian clubs have been playing pussy football for years now. Even when Inter beat Barça and São Paulo beat Liverpool, they played pussy football and could very well have lost.

To be honest, I wasn't really criticising Santos so much as it amused me that one of the more outspoken posters on here is usually so quick to castigate English clubs when Barcelona overwhelm them - usually with some reference to how a South American team would never be such pussies. The reality is that dealing with this Barca side is bloody difficult!

I thought the one thing that Santos did well was push up and close the options when Valdes had the ball. He played a few risky passes that could have got Barcelona into trouble. Other than that, they haven't done anything to disrupt Barca or try to impose themselves on the game.
messiah

Post by messiah on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:32 am

Thiago showing he is the best young Brazilian talent on the pitch, I wanted him to choose Brazil, he is the type of player they need on the pitch

worms.

Post by worms. on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:32 am

Difference between Messi and Cronaldo is that Cronaldo would have went down before the 3rd goal an claimed a penalty for some "stat padding" but Messi fights on like a warrior ok
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:33 am

This isn't even a contest. Barca-APOEL would have been a much closer affair.
messiah

Post by messiah on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:34 am

fcb wrote:Xavi's control Ale

The control for his goal was good too, the man is just...
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:35 am

S4P wrote:This isn't even a contest. Barca-APOEL would have been a much closer affair.

This. Ale
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:36 am

Puro will come up with some rubbish about the schedule, refereeing, prematch agendas, etc affecting Santos. Laughing
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:39 am

But you were right. This is pussy football. When São Paulo beat Liverpool, São Paulo played extremely pussy football and had a hell of a lucky day. Liverpool dominated the game completely.

The last times Brazilian clubs didn't play pussy football against Europeans was in the early 90s, when São Paulo beat Barça and Milan playing really better.

From then on, there was an exodus of players to Europe and the quality of Brazilian club football dropped a lot.

Sheffield gunner wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:

To be honest, I wasn't really criticising Santos so much as it amused me that one of the more outspoken posters on here is usually so quick to castigate English clubs when Barcelona overwhelm them - usually with some reference to how a South American team would never be such pussies. The reality is that dealing with this Barca side is bloody difficult!

I thought the one thing that Santos did well was push up and close the options when Valdes had the ball. He played a few risky passes that could have got Barcelona into trouble. Other than that, they haven't done anything to disrupt Barca or try to impose themselves on the game.
messiah

Post by messiah on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:28 pm

I've heard tim vickery say this over and over again, and I have to agree with him, Neymar needs to come to europe for at least a season before the WC and today will make him see why, kids got talented, but south american football in not a big enough challenge anymore.

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Thank you Spain and Barcelona for teaching Brazilians how to play football.

The brazilian press talk about 19 year old Neymar as if he was a top 3 player in the world. Even Santos' coach said that he was better than Xavi and Iniesta. I can't remember a player being overhyped like that since Rooney after Euro 2004. Neymar is by far the best player in South America, but he still has a long way to go to be one of the best footballers in the world. Being the best player in South American doesn't mean too much. South American clubs level is going downhill year after year. Even Argentinian clubs are getting worse and worse.

Unfortunatelly Brazil can't produce top players anymore. Kaka was the last world class ofensive player to come out of Brazil. That happened almost a decade ago and now he is past it. Take a look at the brazilian starting line up in the last WC. Robinho and Luís Fabiano are far away from being as good as Romário, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Careca, etc.

Press and fans can't deal with that. They don't think that Spain are better than us or that Brazilian League is worst than the Spanish League. Santos showed today that the best brazilian team wouldn't even get a Europa League spot if they played in Spain.

To sum up, the next world cup will be a tragedy.
Puro

Number of posts : 10676
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:16 pm

WOW! We are so lucky to be witnessing the greatest football team in the history of football with an incredible Messi leading such magnificent Barcelona.

Barcelona were so fired up for Santos and I give credit to Pep and his whole team for their performance. That was an A+ show. Barcelona are the greatest team ever, full stop! How long do they want to keep winning everything?

Oh and Pep is a beast of a manager, no new discovery, I saw he was a beast by looking at Hiddink's expression of the face while coaching next to him a few seasons ago. lol!

Pep threw a huge curve ball that Santos could not solve. Pep's 1-3-7-0 system perplexed them Brazucas they looked like zombies. Biggrin

I DO NOT think they have ever seen a 3-7-0 in their LIVES! Am I right, Todo! Biggrin <Ale>
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:39 pm

So Santos absolutely humiliated. If Man United were gently spanked at Wembley, we've just witnessed South America's finest being publically gang raped , and my it was hard to watch Laughing

Yo Puro, great prediction as always mes amis Laugh
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Imperialism 2.0 this!

Neymar getting dicked while wearing a white shirt....he better gets used to it! Biggrin

But if Barca went toe to toe against them Santos in Brazil, Santos would have won, but Santos finished 10th for a reason.

Anyway, by the look of things Brazil has a long way to go before lifting the WC in their own country, I thought it would have been a given a few years ago!

But I also predicted that once the Brazil economy is starting to get better, the amount of good players will get worse. Romario, Ronaldo etc all came from favela's, such players dont come from an academy.
Puro

Post by Puro on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Mongrel Hawk wrote:Barça repeats Zico's Flamengo against Liverpool in 1981. At half time, Flamengo 3 - 0.

Yes, it was basically the same can of whoop ass. The game was over by the 30th minute. The superiority of Barcelona was established so quickly just like Flamengo vs Liverpool. Man! it wasn't even a contest.

Perhaps Santos is really the 10th best team in Brasil nowadays. The table doesn't lie people say.

Well how do you think Corinthians or Vasco would fair against Barça? How about Boca Jrs against Barça?

How you seen U de Chile play lately? They're looking really good. Barça are the best for sure, but one wonders how U de Chile would do against them. After all Chile can play España anywhere it seems and look the better team.
Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Surely Neymars ability can't be judges on such a game? He's one player, and a striker at that who was starves off service. Barca make pretty much everyone look ordinary at the moment.
Puro

Post by Puro on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Calidad wrote:Surely Neymars ability can't be judges on such a game? He's one player, and a striker at that who was starves off service. Barca make pretty much everyone look ordinary at the moment.

I think this Barcelona exhibition will make all of us South Americans nostalgic about the time we used to play like that. The Puro Toque football of old times, the intelligence over the brute talentless hoofer neanderthal; the good over the evil...ahhhhh those were the days.

Nevertheless, I believe that Barcelona will make all of us South Americans embrace what was our game.

PURO TOQUE FOOTBALL! Whoop

Watch how Perú and also Brasil immediately turn to Puro Toque football again. We are the two most technically gifted countries in South America. If only them Brazucas do away with their "English looking" "box to box midfielders".

Oh THEY'D BETTER IF THEY WANT TO WIN THE WORLD CUP AT HOME!
messiah

Post by messiah on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Tim Vickery on the game

In 1924, Uruguay arrived as unknowns at the Olympic football tournament in Paris, took everyone apart on the way to winning the gold medal and changed football forever.

The enthusiasm they set off led to the birth of the World Cup six years later. And like so many significant events in football, it was not just because they won - it was because of the way they did it.

Contemporary accounts raved about them. Influential journalist Gabriel Hanot praised their "marvellous virtuosity in receiving the ball, controlling it and using it," and drew attention to their "beautiful football, elegant but at the same time varied, rapid, powerful, effective."

It was South American football appearing before the world. It came from Uruguay, but it could have been Argentina. And within a few years, it could also have been Brazil.

Instead of the dominant, hard running, muscular Christianity style dictated by the English, this was something more subtle and balletic, made to measure for the short player with a low centre of gravity.

Fast forward 87 years. Two teams played in Japan on Sunday with the World Club title at stake. Hanot's words apply to one of them - and it is not the South American.

Like watching Muhammad Ali against some outgunned challenger, Barcelona's destruction of Santos was as joyful as it was clinical. Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Cesc Fabregas and Lionel Messi ran rings round Santos as if the Brazilians were traffic cones in a training exercise.

According to the dominant current of thought in Brazil in recent years, this sort of thing is not supposed to happen. The physical evolution of the game, it was thought, had made it impossible. In this modern football of reduced space, the central midfielders need to be six-footers, big and strong enough to win the 50-50 balls and protect the defence.

And there was no point in possession football - a move with more than seven passes had a reduced chance of ending up in a goal. The way to win was to block the middle and look for quick counter attacks and set-pieces.

And the quality of the play? "If you want to see a spectacle," says Santos coach Muricy Ramalho, "then go to the theatre." Or maybe go to watch his side taken apart in such style by Barcelona.

In football the idea comes first. And the line of thinking helps explain the type of players produced. In Neymar Santos could count on a Messi equivalent. But where is the Xavi or the Iniesta? Brazilian football no longer has them because it is not looking to produce them. They do not fit the mould.

Perhaps the closest in recent times is the ex-Barcelona player Deco, who struggled for space at home and made his career abroad.

Instead of mobile little intelligent passing midfielders, Brazil has excelled in producing flying attacking full-backs - something Barcelona have successfully assimilated into their model. And also tall, unimaginative, limited central midfielders. These Barcelona can do without.

The set-piece and counter-attack model could have worked on Sunday. After six minutes, the game still goalless, Neymar got into a threatening position in his team's first counter-attack. Carles Puyol snuffed out the danger. But imagine if Neymar had eluded the tackle and gone on to score. Santos could have parked the bus with even more conviction.

Internacional of Porto Alegre managed to do it to win the world title five years ago - admittedly against a version of Barcelona inferior to this one. With the talent of Paulo Henrique Ganso and Neymar, Santos would surely have carved out further opportunities on the counter. There are many different courses that a single game can take.

Brazilian star Neymar still has much to learn from the world's best player. Photo - Getty

But it is almost certainly in the long-term interests of the Brazilian game that Sunday's game panned out as it did. Because now there is no hiding place.

Five years ago Internacional had a ready-made excuse. The massive financial imbalance between European and South American football left them with no alternative but to fight from a trench.

That line no longer works. Brazilian clubs are benefiting from the country's economic boom. In the conditions of five years ago Neymar would already be playing his football in Europe.

In the new environment, Santos have managed to find a fortune to retain him. Since winning the Libertadores in June they have added to their squad, acquiring centre-forward Borges as well as midfielders Henrique and Ibson.

It was not economic power that tipped the balance in Yokohama. Santos were undone by a collective footballing philosophy to which, despite months of preparation, they could find no answer.

After Barcelona had beaten Al Sadd in Thursday's semi-final the Brazilian media were quick to criticise the Qatari team, casting aspersions on the fledgling nature of football in the region.

Totally forgotten was the fact that Al Sadd are Asian champions, and therefore, on paper at least, a notch above Kashiwa Reysol of Japan, who had given Santos such problems 24 hours earlier.

Come the final, the first half of Barcelona-Santos was a replica of the Al Sadd game. With the difference that since Santos had gone into the match with such expectations they were much sadder.

But the story could have a happy ending. Defeat is always an opportunity to learn, and a defeat this emphatic could serve as a turning point in the country's footballing culture.

There is much that Brazil can take from Barcelona - which does not mean slavishly copying something from outside. If anything, it means getting in touch with a lapsed tradition of intelligent, collective midfield play, of passing through the team and all over the field. It means making sure that Gabriel Hanot's words apply once more on the Brazilian side of the Atlantic.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Don't fool yourself, Puro. After winning Libertadores Santos turned their focus to the World Club Cup. That's the only reason why they finished 10th. Santos are the best team from South America. They didn't lose one single match in the ko stages of Libertadores. They defeated brazilian champions Corinthians with relatively ease in the league.

Vasco, Corinthians, Boca, Brazil, all they would be thrashed against Barça. La U is playing really well at the moment, I think they are unbeaten since july or something, but they are facing much easier opposition. BTW, congrats to Napoli for signing Vargas, great player.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Puro wrote:
Calidad wrote:Surely Neymars ability can't be judges on such a game? He's one player, and a striker at that who was starves off service. Barca make pretty much everyone look ordinary at the moment.

I think this Barcelona exhibition will make all of us South Americans nostalgic about the time we used to play like that. The Puro Toque football of old times, the intelligence over the brute talentless hoofer neanderthal; the good over the evil...ahhhhh those were the days.

Nevertheless, I believe that Barcelona will make all of us South Americans embrace what was our game.

PURO TOQUE FOOTBALL! Whoop

Watch how Perú and also Brasil immediately turn to Puro Toque football again. We are the two most technically gifted countries in South America. If only them Brazucas do away with their "English looking" "box to box midfielders".

Oh THEY'D BETTER IF THEY WANT TO WIN THE WORLD CUP AT HOME!

Come on, Puro. It's hard to accept the truth, but we never played like that. I can't see Brazil playing like that in the short term with the likes of Ramires and Lucas in the midfield.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:52 pm