Mario Balotelli

blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Re: Mario Balotelli

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:16 am

Re: Firmino

Really talented attacking midfielder who should have been part of the Brazil squad this summer, would have done a hell lot better than most of the numpties 'Big Phil' chose instead. Hoffenheim were very strong going forward, it's the other side of the pitch that was their undoing, can't really blame him for it.

But he is no striker, at best a second striker in a 4-4-2, for example, if that's what Liverpool were after. Would have been a very good and smart signing though, could see him doing really well in England.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:34 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Re Balotelli: Transfer fee doesn't tell the whole story, although it's pretty moderate in today's market indeed (probably shows how much (rather stingy) Milan wanted to get rid of him though, if anything...). What about his wages? How much is he going to earn at Anfield?

Edit: Saw the numbers posted earlier. If those 'moderate' wages are really true, the risk isn't that high indeed. Whatever, Mario has to deliver. It's probably his last chance to rescue his career. That match vs. Germany in 2012 alone will not do considering his potential and what people expected from him when he first entered the scene.

He doesn't necessarily have to be a superstar for us though. He just has to continue to contribute the goal ratio he has done for his career to date and he will be a success. He is already surrounded by two exceptional players in Sterling and Sturridge so if he can get close to matching their levels at that price then we will be more than happy.
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:27 pm

It's all or nothing with Balotelli & deep down you must know that. If he's not great, then he's useless.

7 out of 10's are not his forte.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 pm

we've had our fair share of steady Eddie's. Henderson can do Balotelli's running for him.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Spurs fans do desperate for us to fail the way they did with our signings. As Coater said, if he continues the record he's had at every other club that's brilliant - anything more will be a bonus. If he doesn't work out at all then it's a shame but we've had players who cost way more that didn't work out as well. I can't see how he will be completely useless though - he's proven he can score goals in this league already, he's proven he can provide top quality moments. The only question marks are about his 'attitude' - that's only something we can wait and find out on.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:42 pm

bluenine wrote:
110% wrote:There just aren't any strikers available. Bluenine might be able to reel off a load of Italian names, but none of them got in the Italy team at the world cup ahead of Balotelli.

And in retrospect, how did it turn out for Italy in the World Cup? Prandelli gambled on Balotelli and Cassano, and it backfired terribly.

Lets see what Conte does with Italy now, but I have a feeling that Balotelli (unless he does something great at Liverpool) and Cassano will not have much of a role to play.

I am quite fond of Balotelli. I hope he realises that he has got another shot at top flight that he doesn't deserve, and starts focusing on his game. Because he is gifted, of that there is no doubt. But I wouldn't bet on it...

Like I predicted, Conte hasn't included Balotelli in his Italy squad yet.... the likes of Immobile, Destro, Zaza, Pelle, etc are all preferred to him. I think Immobile + Pelle could be the start of a classic Italian striker partnership... Though if Osvaldo continues to play like he is this season, he could get a look in too.

And  maybe the Liverpool fans now understand what we were trying to say about Balotelli. Its not about his lack of goals so far, he will start scoring sooner or later, but his overall contribution in games or rather the lack of it... I still hope he starts working hard and bring his career back in track, but it is unlikely. And his attitude problems may resurface once he starts scoring... he is just not worth the hassle for a top team anymore.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:28 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Re: Firmino

Really talented attacking midfielder who should have been part of the Brazil squad this summer, would have done a hell lot better than most of the numpties 'Big Phil' chose instead. Hoffenheim were very strong going forward, it's the other side of the pitch that was their undoing, can't really blame him for it.

But he is no striker, at best a second striker in a 4-4-2, for example, if that's what Liverpool were after. Would have been a very good and smart signing though, could see him doing really well in England.

Agreed. I mentioned him as a support striker option, and I hope Inter sign him this January. We need someone of his creativity, who is not shy in front of goal. I like his calmness and composure in front of goal - that is always the hallmark of a gifted player.

Clearly very under rated / unknown outside of Germany, as evident by some of the comments on this thread.

Edit: Firmino has finally made the Brasil squad, so maybe there will be more recognition here...

Last edited by bluenine on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Luis wrote:Spurs fans do desperate for us to fail the way they did with our signings. As Coater said, if he continues the record he's had at every other club that's brilliant - anything more will be a bonus. If he doesn't work out at all then it's a shame but we've had players who cost way more that didn't work out as well. I can't see how he will be completely useless though - he's proven he can score goals in this league already, he's proven he can provide top quality moments. The only question marks are about his 'attitude' - that's only something we can wait and find out on.

Only just seen this. Hardly desperate for your lot to fail, however given that Rodgers was happy to tell anyone who would listen last season that Spurs should be challenging for the title after spending 100million (but then saying his 110million team needs time to gel this season), and then also claiming in the summer that you cant compare the clubs because he has a strategy and we didnt, of course its fun watching it come back to bite him on his arrogant arse.
Antarion

Number of posts : 3374
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Balotelli is the player Liverpool deserves,
but not the one it needs right now.

/Batman

Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Balotelli is famous for his antics, he aint that talented.

Shame, but HHH is the real deal, Liverpool should have gone for him.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Fey wrote:Balotelli is famous for his antics, he aint that talented.

HHH? You mean Pelle? Liverpool didn't consider him, as he does not have prior EPL experience. They wanted someone like Balotelli who can start scoring immediately, not someone who will take time to adjust to a new league. Because that is how it works.
Fey

Post by Fey on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 pm

bluenine wrote:
Fey wrote:Balotelli is famous for his antics, he aint that talented.

HHH? You mean Pelle? Liverpool didn't consider him, as he does not have prior EPL experience. They wanted someone like Balotelli who can start scoring immediately, not someone who will take time to adjust to a new league. Because that is how it works.

Sure His Holy Hotness did not have EPL experience, but Balotelli did, and he already failed there. So..why not get the topscorer of the Eredivisie, like Suarez was when they got him?

What a legend, he comes here on his day off even

It's like he adopted a few...if you didnt knew better..
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Since he's been gone alot of people conned themselves into thinking Balotelli was a success at Man City.

Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
Supports : West Ham
Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:23 pm

Antarion wrote:Balotelli is the player Liverpool deserves,
but not the one it needs right now.

/Batman

Very Happy
Fey

Post by Fey on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Smile

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:08 pm

It would be easier for him if we could just play Germany every week...
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 am

Glad to see him score yesterday. I hope this is a turning point for the lad, the papers in UK have gone overboard scapegoating him. Its not his fault that Liverpool wasted so much money last summer.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:01 am

ok It's not his fault that Liverpool wasted so much money last summer.

Although, to be fair at the end of the day if I'm honest, that isn't something he's been accused of as far as I can tell.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:01 pm

110% wrote:
bluenine wrote:
110% wrote:I can see why it most likely won't work, but I can also see that there simply were a lack of other options, especially for 16 million gbp. For everyone saying no to balotelli, who should they have bought instead? Eto'o was linked, Falcao's salary is probably more than the rest of the squad combined etc.

Liverpool paid 35 million for a player that had a good 6 months of form once, they paid 20 million for Downing etc. Even if he doesn't work out, he might score 10 goals and be sold next summer for 8 million. It's a relatively low risk compared to some.

£15-20m in this market could get you strikers like Destro, Jackson Martinez, Llorente (if Juve get Falcao), etc and support strikers like Cerci, Firmino, Depay, etc

IMO all of the above are better options than Balotelli. So please don't tell me that there is a lack of options available...

I think Balotelli (because of his temperament) is only good as an impact sub at a big club, like he was used at Inter and most of his City career. Whether he will be happy to play that role at Liverpool is another question, and what damage he will do to the locker room is another. Paying £16m and about £100k a week for an impact sub, IMO that is crazy. But Liverpool have the money, so I guess its not a bad deal financially. If I were Rodgers, I would rather have taken a punt on a young, rising star (like Firmino) or a player who plays for the squad (like Destro, Cerci) or spent a little bit more and got myself a proper starting XI player (like Martinez).

Any of those players played in the EPL before? Balotelli has an attitude problem, but at least he won't Soldado it up, which I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the names you mentioned would. Liverpool need a striker for this season, so for the ones you mentioned:
Destro: Could be ok, after a season settling in.
Martinez: 30 million buyout clause or something like that.  
LLorente: Liverpool already have lambert
Cerci: same as Destro
Firmino: Firmin-who? ok same as Destro
Depay: same as destro

IMO all of the above are worse options that Balotelli for this season for around the same price, even though in the long term they may turn out to be better players. The young strikers you've mentioned all have the potential to be the next Borini (good but not quite good enough). That's no help to Liverpool this season, who already have the current Borini.

Its funny how thing turn out. I (and many other here) we spot on regarding Balotelli, that is £16m + £5m wages Liverpool will never get back. And ironically, Liverpool are now trying to buy "Firmin-who" for possibly a £10m premium to when I suggested his name last year. He is a Brasil International now. Life can be such a bitch.

Yeah, this is an I-told-you-fucking-so kind of post. Razz
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:23 am

bluenine wrote:That much I will give you... Liverpool will be exciting to watch. For all the criticism, Liverpool and English football will be far more exciting with Balotelli in it.

You didn't get it all right Wink He was crap and not even entertainingly so (aside from a few particularly bad misses)
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:34 am

Firmino.. Is he a striker or not? Doesn't seem to have scored too many last season and I've seen him described as an AM...
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:09 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:Firmino.. Is he a striker or not? Doesn't seem to have scored too many last season and I've seen him described as an AM...

Seems like a Rogers is gambling that he can replace Sterlling but eventually morph into a Suarez-ish replacement.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:59 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:Firmino.. Is he a striker or not? Doesn't seem to have scored too many last season and I've seen him described as an AM...

I've never actually seen him play a single match for Hoffenheim. From the youtube highlights he looks like a forward to me. Maybe second striker or whatever. More like Suarez than Coutinho for example.
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Hopefully this means no Benteke. The last Brazillian we signed turned out good.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:50 pm

Decent player he, decent signing from Liverpool for once, shitload of money though.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:07 pm

Does seem a high price but then we'd have paid more for Benteke.

Can't say I've seen this guy play but there's no doubting the quality of South American players at the moment and sometimes it's worth the risk rather than spending too much on 'proven' premier league players.

I assume this deal means Sterling is very nearly on his way out.

If we can get Clyne and another striker with quality then I'll be a bit more optimistic. As it stands we may have some added grit and style but we still need some proven substance up front when Sturridge is injured for most of the season.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 pm

Luis wrote:Does seem a high price but then we'd have paid more for Benteke.

Can't say I've seen this guy play but there's no doubting the quality of South American players at the moment and sometimes it's worth the risk rather than spending too much on 'proven' premier league players.

I assume this deal means Sterling is very nearly on his way out.

If we can get Clyne and another striker with quality then I'll be a bit more optimistic. As it stands we may have some added grit and style but we still need some proven substance up front when Sturridge is injured for most of the season.

Sounds like Clyne is a done deal - £15m.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:23 am

He is a support striker / AM... an excellent player, I have been a believer for a while. I was hoping Inter buy him last summer, unfortunately now he is out of our price range...
Luis

Post by Luis on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:56 am

Looks like we're really intent on Benteke then. Apparently we've upped our bid to something like 25 million Rolling Eyes not a bad player by any means but really can't see how he will play to our strengths and can't help feeling we could do better looking abroad and taking a risk on someone for cheaper.

Clyne looks wrapped up which I'm happy about, providing Rodgers learns how to set a team up defensively sometimes when needed.

I'm hoping Ibe can really develop his game next season - he has a lot of potential but needs to work on several aspects of his game to fill the Sterling void.
Luis

Post by Luis on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Still feel like we should just try and engineer getting Dzeko or Jovetic from City as part of the Sterling deal though.

At the moment our squad is shaping up something like:

GK: Mignolet/Bogdan

FB: Moreno, Flanagan, Clyne.

CB: Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren, Toure.

CM: Henderson, Allen, Can. Milner.

AM: Lallana, Coutinho, Ferminho. Ibe, Markovic.

ST: Sturridge, Ings, Origi ??

Obviously the striker is all important as it will be our first choice striker certainly for 2 months of the season. Names linked: Benteke, Bacca, Rondon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:44 am