Mario Balotelli

abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Re: Mario Balotelli

Post by abundance on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:18 pm

bluenine wrote:Maybe its not a huge financial risk, but what happens when he is made to sit on the bench? Balotelli has the knack to draw all media attention to himself in a wrong way... he hasn't learn't anything since he was 17, still a talented, lazy player. IMO he has already gone down the Cassano path, and he will only work in a small club where he is the centre of attention. But he can be a game changer, and if he accepts it, he could be a great impact player at a top club. But he will never accept a bench role.

Well it's last chance for him at a top flight club for sure.
Not sure if he truly realizes this, and if it's better if he does or if he does not.

Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Kimbo wrote:You fools!!!

What's foolish?

Players like Remy and Sturridge have/had bad reputations too.

Our last nutter scored us 30 odd league goals, I'll have some more of that.

He's obviously not on a Suarez level but his goal record is fairly good.

Out of the options we could have got he's certainly the best and if it doesn't work out then so be it.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:23 pm

I don't think it's his last chance, he's 24 and there'll always be managers with a big enough ego to think they can fix him. It might be Brendan Rodgers. If not, he could happily do what Anelka did and bounce around for another 10 years.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Luis wrote:
Kimbo wrote:You fools!!!

What's foolish?

Players like Remy and Sturridge have/had bad reputations too.

Our last nutter scored us 30 odd league goals, I'll have some more of that.

He's obviously not on a Suarez level but his goal record is fairly good.

Out of the options we could have got he's certainly the best and if it doesn't work out then so be it.

He's not close to being worth the disruption, and should play 2nd fiddle to Sturridge, which will piss him off. I'm not sure what Remy's reputation is, he seemed the professional type to me, a mercenary maybe, but the majority are.

110%

Number of posts : 8978
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:42 pm

I agree with Kimbo that he's just not that good. He'll probably have his usual 5 good games a season.

But surely we (fans of the EPL) don't mind the entertainment that he brings?

I love this picture:

4 manu players trying to attack him and he just doesn't give a fuck.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Why did no one just sign Demba Ba ffs???
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:15 pm

People said similar things about Sturridge - he's just not that good. Balotelli has the potential to be a great player if the right manager can get the best out of him, for 16 million I think Rodgers is happy to take that gamble. I mean he's worked with egotistical bellends like Mourinho and Mancini so I'm not surprised he didn't get on with them.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Brenton definitely isn't an egotistical bellend.

bluenine

Number of posts : 22995
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:40 pm

abundance wrote:
bluenine wrote:Maybe its not a huge financial risk, but what happens when he is made to sit on the bench? Balotelli has the knack to draw all media attention to himself in a wrong way... he hasn't learn't anything since he was 17, still a talented, lazy player. IMO he has already gone down the Cassano path, and he will only work in a small club where he is the centre of attention. But he can be a game changer, and if he accepts it, he could be a great impact player at a top club. But he will never accept a bench role.

Well it's last chance for him at a top flight club for sure.
Not sure if he truly realizes this, and if it's better if he does or if he does not.

I thought Milan was his last chance, the club he supported as a kid, the club with a fucking family atmosphere...

Nah, Balotelli does not have the temperament to lead the attack for a top club. Just like Cassano. Its all downhill from here...
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Sturridge never got described as having a shit attitude who could cause a team actual problems as far as I remember. He was described as a player who had yet to prove anything after some huge promise.. But it was down to poor career choice and little game time.

Balotelli has been all over and started for his clubs.. His record is nothing special and his attitude appears to be pretty shocking. Suarez is mental but smashed in a lot of goals and worked his bollocks off.. Arguably then he's worth the baggage.. Balotelli might get half the goals but still be mental and he won't work his bollocks off.

Not to say it's a risk that will never pay off.. But this isn't the same as signing Sturridge.
Plus I'm not sure where he fits. Will he be put wide? Or will Sturridge? Neither would be happy with that surely?
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueo, Redondo, Ral, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:38 pm

-------------------Mignolet

Manquillo------Skrtel------Lovren------Moreno

-----------Henderson-----Gerrard

Sterling-----------------------------Coutinho

-----------Sturridge------Balotelli

Question
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Jaime wrote:-------------------Mignolet
Manquillo------Skrtel------Lovren------Moreno
-----------Henderson-----Gerrard
Sterling-----------------------------Coutinho
-----------Sturridge------Balotelli

Question

That two striker formation made much more sense with the hardworking, mobile Suarez, than the stationary, lazy Mario. If Liverpool have any sense in them, they would rather focus on developing the talent of Lallana and Markovic, than waste time and space in force-fitting Balotelli into the lineup.

Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 pm

People have kept harping on all summer that we need another striker besides Sturridge so when he's unavailable we aren't relying on an ageing Rickie Lambert or an average Borini. Balotelli isn't going to be shoehorned into the side - he's another addition to a squad needed to compete in 4 competitions. Markovic, Lallana and Balotelli will all be required throughout the season - there's a lot of games. Balotelli isn't guaranteed to start if he signs - just like Sakho isn't guaranteed a game at the back.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 pm

He's a big ego to sign for the bench..
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:06 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:He's a big ego to sign for the bench..

Rodgers isn't bothered by ego. If Balotelli doesn't perform as well as Lallana or Markovic then he won't play. It's the same as if we had signed Cavani or Falcao - neither would be guaranteed to start because we have spent big money on the two players I have mentioned. It's just great to have these exciting options.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:16 pm

We'll see how exciting it is when he's getting subbed before halftime because he just can't be arsed that day. This has happened.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Luis wrote:
christmasborocooper wrote:He's a big ego to sign for the bench..

Rodgers isn't bothered by ego. If Balotelli doesn't perform as well as Lallana or Markovic then he won't play. It's the same as if we had signed Cavani or Falcao - neither would be guaranteed to start because we have spent big money on the two players I have mentioned. It's just great to have these exciting options.

Not suggesting Rodgers cares. What about the players though? What about morale if he starts acting the c**t?

All what ifs obvious.. But things like that you'd think have to be considered when signing someone like this. Maybe he'll react well though who knows. It's definitely quite a big risk is all im saying.

Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:33 pm

I give him 18 months.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:04 pm

I can't believe Rodgers would take the chance on Balotelli. I can't imagine what he is thinking off here. Based on the transfers made so far, it seemed he went with a sensible solution of playing with 1 striker and buying offensive midfielders to support Sturridge. You could argue Liverpool needed a better alternative striker than Lambert but this is not the solution. Will Lallana be forced onto the bench? Will Balotelli? What about Markovich?

Not to mention that if he is going to recreate the style of Sturridge-Suarez then Balotelli is certainly not the choice for the job. Even if he has a good period you know he will eventually go back to his old self and even at his best he will never do the sort of work upfront that Suarez did and nor could he. Not to mention all the negative attention he will bring the club and the dressing room once he inevitably blows up. Neither Mancini(supposedly the one guy who could control him) nor his dream club Milan(known for being able to handle difficult players) could do the trick. Why would Rodgers think he can do it?

I will enjoy another top club giving Balo a chance since I hope he can become a good player but I would be livid if I was a Liverpool fan.

This is the sort of situation where director of sports having a veto, would come in handy. Somebody in the club should have stopped this.

110%

Post by 110% on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:24 pm

I can see why it most likely won't work, but I can also see that there simply were a lack of other options, especially for 16 million gbp. For everyone saying no to balotelli, who should they have bought instead? Eto'o was linked, Falcao's salary is probably more than the rest of the squad combined etc.

Liverpool paid 35 million for a player that had a good 6 months of form once, they paid 20 million for Downing etc. Even if he doesn't work out, he might score 10 goals and be sold next summer for 8 million. It's a relatively low risk compared to some.
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Lallana is more of a risk than Balotelli. Markovic is an even bigger risk - both cost more money for a start.

Worst case scenario - he doesn't do that well, has a hissy fit and is shown the door.
Best case scenario - he contributes to a trophy win or another top 3 finish.
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:10 am

Please sign him. Just for the laughs alone.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:21 am

@ super

There aren't really any Liverpool fans who are livid about this. The opposite is true. Most see it as a low risk signing at that price with plenty of potential upside.

We won't play two up front unless he is a massive success and makes himself in droppable so he will mainly provide cover for sturridge (which is pretty good cover to have) and also a great bench option in every game. He's also a good fit for current football style and will get plenty of chances.

Honestly I can see this being massively successful, but who knows in football
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:28 am

110% wrote:I can see why it most likely won't work, but I can also see that there simply were a lack of other options, especially for 16 million gbp. For everyone saying no to balotelli, who should they have bought instead? Eto'o was linked, Falcao's salary is probably more than the rest of the squad combined etc.

Liverpool paid 35 million for a player that had a good 6 months of form once, they paid 20 million for Downing etc. Even if he doesn't work out, he might score 10 goals and be sold next summer for 8 million. It's a relatively low risk compared to some.

You are brilliant. You criticised Balotelli at every turn, but now it's ok because he's joined Liverpool.

Liverpool would have been better off sticking with Borini, less maintenance, more versatile, and willing to play the back-up role behind Sturridge.

Balotelli is officially in Anelka/Adebayor/Cassano territory. He's not reliable.
shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
Supports : Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 am

110% wrote:I can see why it most likely won't work, but I can also see that there simply were a lack of other options, especially for 16 million gbp. For everyone saying no to balotelli, who should they have bought instead? Eto'o was linked, Falcao's salary is probably more than the rest of the squad combined etc.

Ale

I think he may understand its last chance saloon especially as there wont be other big clubs bugging his agent to check his availability if he's misbehaving. He's a great talent, he still has the ability to define the modern CF position.
shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
Supports : Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:04 am

Deluded F*ck wrote:

You are brilliant. You criticised Balotelli at every turn, but now it's ok because he's joined Liverpool.

Liverpool would have been better off sticking with Borini, less maintenance, more versatile, and willing to play the back-up role behind Sturridge.

Balotelli is officially in Anelka/Adebayor/Cassano territory. He's not reliable.
If would be bad if they were buying him as the star starting CF. If he's knowingly coming is as a high grade back up, Liverpool have everything to gain here. That's what we'll have to see, if he's happy to be a sub to rebuild his reputation and raise performance levels.

Anelka would have always been useful as a back up as he was for Chelsea. Adebayor just doesn't care. Cassano doesn't really play in a position where being an individual talent will allow you to make a credible impact at any given moment. He had to be a good fit for the team for his magic to to be consistently useful.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:34 am

Deluded F*ck wrote:

ok
For me, like Bluenine(and I suspect TS too), Milan was the best chance for him to shine.

Remember that Balotelli has never seemed to care too much about what others expect from him. If he lands on the bench then he will have a hard time getting into a national team that is now headed by somebody who is predisposed to not liking him any way. Borini would have been a safer/practical choice. I'm not arguing that he can't deliver the goods on the field but for how long until he stops giving a shit? And then what happens.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:30 am

Deluded F*ck wrote:

Borini isn't a threat

He's just a worker. Not good enough. More upside with Balotelli and we are basically swapping them at no cost if he says yes to Sunderland.

110%

Post by 110% on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:53 am

Deluded F*ck wrote:

Thank you, I am brilliant, but please read again.

I say he most likely won't work but there is a lack of options out there, and he is a relatively low risk at the price. If Sturridge picked up a long term injury, then Liverpool's season is done. There is only Lambert and Borini left. That's not good enough even for top 10.

I still don't think he's as good as some make him out to be, but in a world where Borini is worth 12 million, Suarez is worth 70 million, Sanchez was 35 million, then Balotelli at 16 million seems not too bad. Falcao was rumoured as 20 million for a year long loan. At this moment, in this particular transfer window it is the only option.

So in conclusion, he won't make my fantasy team and I will still criticise him for not being that good, unless he shows otherwise. I will still laugh when does stupid things (and I look forward to that). And I fully expect him to fuck it up in the long term. Next summer Liverpool should have more options to buy a striker. And if Balotelli helps them get CL football then that will help them to secure a better striker to replace him. For Liverpool it isn't such a bad deal.

PS I would keep Borini as well. A team competing on many fronts needs more than 3 good strikers. Look at man city, last year Aguero and Jovetic suffered injuries, Negredo lost form, but they still had Dzeko. Manu have rooney, rvp, hernandez and welbeck. Arsenal have Giroud, Theo, Sanchez, Sanogo, Joel Campbell and Podolski. Chelsea are possibly a bit light in the striker department but they have guys like schurle who can play up front.

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:56 am

15-20m in this market could get you strikers like Destro, Jackson Martinez, Llorente (if Juve get Falcao), etc and support strikers like Cerci, Firmino, Depay, etc

IMO all of the above are better options than Balotelli. So please don't tell me that there is a lack of options available...

I think Balotelli (because of his temperament) is only good as an impact sub at a big club, like he was used at Inter and most of his City career. Whether he will be happy to play that role at Liverpool is another question, and what damage he will do to the locker room is another. Paying 16m and about 100k a week for an impact sub, IMO that is crazy. But Liverpool have the money, so I guess its not a bad deal financially. If I were Rodgers, I would rather have taken a punt on a young, rising star (like Firmino) or a player who plays for the squad (like Destro, Cerci) or spent a little bit more and got myself a proper starting XI player (like Martinez).

Last edited by bluenine on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:22 am