The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Re: Mario Balotelli

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:42 am

Liverpool now have a HUGE squad

Assaidi, Coates and Borini are still there

Lallana, Markovic, Moreno and Can haven't played yet

Mignolet, Manquillo, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Skrtel, Lovren, Henderson, Gerrard, Sturridge, Coutinho, Lambert and Sterling played against Southampton

leaving Sakho, Toure, Jones, Enrique, Agger, Ibe, Flanagan and Suso

And maybe Balotelli Crazy

The games will come thick and fast once the cups get going, there's surely not going to be an issue with gametime for Balotelli, I don't expect him to be a replacement for Suarez, more an alternative to Sturridge.
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21762
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:02 am

Super Progress wrote:
 ok 
For me, like Bluenine(and I suspect TS too), Milan was the best chance for him to shine.

Remember that Balotelli has never seemed to care too much about what others expect from him. If he lands on the bench then he will have a hard time getting into a national team that is now headed by somebody who is predisposed to not liking him any way. Borini would have been a safer/practical choice. I'm not arguing that he can't deliver the goods on the field but for how long until he stops giving a shit? And then what happens.

Exactly - if he couldn't be focused under "Daddy" Mancini, if he couldn't do it at Milan we're he was welcomed like a prodigal son and provided the best family/loving atmosphere for him, the where exactly will he do it?

He is what you see. An extremely talented and physically dominating player who lacks the focus and temperament to allow himself to truly dominate from season-to-season.

As Cooper said about Adebayor (which I got burned by too): "Everybody prefers the idea of having him, until *it* happens."

@ Cotter - You can say it's low-risk on paper but he can be potentially toxic, and not just to himself.  Worst case scenario is that he starts influencing a player like Sterling who Rodgers has worked hard to keep focused.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:42 am

I love this - Suarez has gone so now Balotelli is the toxic poison  Laughing  so melodramatic. I think a lot of the criticism he's getting is jealousy; Arsenal would kill for a player like him right now, so would United and Spurs.
Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Luis wrote:I love this - Suarez has gone so now Balotelli is the toxic poison  Laughing  so melodramatic. I think a lot of the criticism he's getting is jealousy; Arsenal would kill for a player like him right now, so would United and Spurs.

I used to say exactly the same kind of stuff, and lived in denial about Adebayor (who is equal to Balotelli btw). Just wait.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22995
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:46 pm

A very talented individual, but a poor team player with poor work ethic. We have seen players like Balotelli before - Cassano is a good example. Such players are not meant for top clubs, they are better off being the big fish in a small pond, where everything revolves around them and 1 great performance in every 3-4 games is considered a good return.

At a big club, everything cannot revolve around an inconsistent player with a poor work ethic. Yes, there is a place for such an individual at big clubs, but more as a plan B, an impact bench player when things are not going as per plan. IMO that is how Conte should utilise Balotelli for the Azzurri, provided Balotelli is not a bad influence to overall team spirit.

I give his Liverpool stint about 18 months before they give up on him, just like Inter, City and Milan did. I can see Balotelli playing for the likes of Palermo, Parma or Brescia in the future, and doing reasonably well... Unfortunately, that is his level - purely because of his attitude.
The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Adebayor was the sole reason Tottenham weren't relegated last season.

We're all so clever writing Balotelli off at 24. Reality is, it's a low risk gamble. We could and probably should go for a less complicated rising star, teach him how to speak English and hope he adapts to the league, or we could sign a wildcard and cut our losses when it blows up in our faces, safe in the knowledge that someone will take a similar gamble if he fails.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:
Super Progress wrote:
 ok 
For me, like Bluenine(and I suspect TS too), Milan was the best chance for him to shine.

Remember that Balotelli has never seemed to care too much about what others expect from him. If he lands on the bench then he will have a hard time getting into a national team that is now headed by somebody who is predisposed to not liking him any way. Borini would have been a safer/practical choice. I'm not arguing that he can't deliver the goods on the field but for how long until he stops giving a shit? And then what happens.

Exactly - if he couldn't be focused under "Daddy" Mancini, if he couldn't do it at Milan we're he was welcomed like a prodigal son and provided the best family/loving atmosphere for him, the where exactly will he do it?

He is what you see. An extremely talented and physically dominating player who lacks the focus and temperament to allow himself to truly dominate from season-to-season.

As Cooper said about Adebayor (which I got burned by too): "Everybody prefers the idea of having him, until *it* happens."

@ Cotter - You can say it's low-risk on paper but he can be potentially toxic, and not just to himself.  Worst case scenario is that he starts influencing a player like Sterling who Rodgers has worked hard to keep focused.
 ok 
Well said by Coooper and I have certainly been on that end of it as well.

And the worst case is not merely him messing up Sterling but also getting dumb red cards, flagrant signs of neglect on the pitch, controversy off the pitch, negative media attention and messing up the dressing room.

Just remembered that Liverpool also bought Origi and then gave him back to Lille. In the light of this purchase they should have kept him. He would have gotten enough playing time given the schedule this season.
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 pm

TS, did you once say Balotelli would be a ballon d'or winner? Can't remember if it as you or Romford Pele. Just thinking it shows how far belief in the player has dropped.

Luis makes some fair points in this thread though I think.. The money isn't mental, he might do okay. If he flops hopefully you sell him quick. Problem is if he starts to cause conflict in the dressing or influencing the the simple minded youth players.

I don't think it's at all correct to say it's "jealousy" though. Doesn't really make sense. It's just surprise that Rodgers would go for a player who is known for being a problem
The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Super Progress wrote:

Just remembered that Liverpool also bought Origi and then gave him back to Lille. In the light of this purchase they should have kept him. He would have gotten enough playing time given the schedule this season.

was that an option? Or was the loan deal a condition of sale?

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:07 pm

bluenine wrote:
110% wrote:I can see why it most likely won't work, but I can also see that there simply were a lack of other options, especially for 16 million gbp. For everyone saying no to balotelli, who should they have bought instead? Eto'o was linked, Falcao's salary is probably more than the rest of the squad combined etc.

Liverpool paid 35 million for a player that had a good 6 months of form once, they paid 20 million for Downing etc. Even if he doesn't work out, he might score 10 goals and be sold next summer for 8 million. It's a relatively low risk compared to some.

£15-20m in this market could get you strikers like Destro, Jackson Martinez, Llorente (if Juve get Falcao), etc and support strikers like Cerci, Firmino, Depay, etc

IMO all of the above are better options than Balotelli. So please don't tell me that there is a lack of options available...

I think Balotelli (because of his temperament) is only good as an impact sub at a big club, like he was used at Inter and most of his City career. Whether he will be happy to play that role at Liverpool is another question, and what damage he will do to the locker room is another. Paying £16m and about £100k a week for an impact sub, IMO that is crazy. But Liverpool have the money, so I guess its not a bad deal financially. If I were Rodgers, I would rather have taken a punt on a young, rising star (like Firmino) or a player who plays for the squad (like Destro, Cerci) or spent a little bit more and got myself a proper starting XI player (like Martinez).

Any of those players played in the EPL before? Balotelli has an attitude problem, but at least he won't Soldado it up, which I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the names you mentioned would. Liverpool need a striker for this season, so for the ones you mentioned:
Destro: Could be ok, after a season settling in.
Martinez: 30 million buyout clause or something like that.
LLorente: Liverpool already have lambert
Cerci: same as Destro
Firmino: Firmin-who? ok same as Destro
Depay: same as destro

IMO all of the above are worse options that Balotelli for this season for around the same price, even though in the long term they may turn out to be better players. The young strikers you've mentioned all have the potential to be the next Borini (good but not quite good enough). That's no help to Liverpool this season, who already have the current Borini.
Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:TS, did you once say Balotelli would be a ballon d'or winner? Can't remember if it as you or Romford Pele. Just thinking it shows how far belief in the player has dropped.

Luis makes some fair points in this thread though I think.. The money isn't mental, he might do okay. If he flops hopefully you sell him quick. Problem is if he starts to cause conflict in the dressing or influencing the the simple minded youth players.

I don't think it's at all correct to say it's "jealousy" though. Doesn't really make sense. It's just surprise that Rodgers would go for a player who is known for being a problem

Don't remember that, but I did say he has the talent to become the best CF in the world if/when he matured.

It's now clear that it's just not going to happen, he'll bounce around from club to club claiming a "fresh start" but he's a nutcase who'll wear out his welcome on and off the pitch.

110%

Post by 110% on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:18 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:TS, did you once say Balotelli would be a ballon d'or winner? Can't remember if it as you or Romford Pele. Just thinking it shows how far belief in the player has dropped.

There just aren't any strikers available. Bluenine might be able to reel off a load of Italian names, but none of them got in the Italy team at the world cup ahead of Balotelli.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:57 pm

110% wrote:
bluenine wrote:
110% wrote:I can see why it most likely won't work, but I can also see that there simply were a lack of other options, especially for 16 million gbp. For everyone saying no to balotelli, who should they have bought instead? Eto'o was linked, Falcao's salary is probably more than the rest of the squad combined etc.

Liverpool paid 35 million for a player that had a good 6 months of form once, they paid 20 million for Downing etc. Even if he doesn't work out, he might score 10 goals and be sold next summer for 8 million. It's a relatively low risk compared to some.

£15-20m in this market could get you strikers like Destro, Jackson Martinez, Llorente (if Juve get Falcao), etc and support strikers like Cerci, Firmino, Depay, etc

IMO all of the above are better options than Balotelli. So please don't tell me that there is a lack of options available...

I think Balotelli (because of his temperament) is only good as an impact sub at a big club, like he was used at Inter and most of his City career. Whether he will be happy to play that role at Liverpool is another question, and what damage he will do to the locker room is another. Paying £16m and about £100k a week for an impact sub, IMO that is crazy. But Liverpool have the money, so I guess its not a bad deal financially. If I were Rodgers, I would rather have taken a punt on a young, rising star (like Firmino) or a player who plays for the squad (like Destro, Cerci) or spent a little bit more and got myself a proper starting XI player (like Martinez).

Any of those players played in the EPL before? Balotelli has an attitude problem, but at least he won't Soldado it up, which I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the names you mentioned would. Liverpool need a striker for this season, so for the ones you mentioned:
Destro: Could be ok, after a season settling in.
Martinez: 30 million buyout clause or something like that.  
LLorente: Liverpool already have lambert
Cerci: same as Destro
Firmino: Firmin-who? ok same as Destro
Depay: same as destro

IMO all of the above are worse options that Balotelli for this season for around the same price, even though in the long term they may turn out to be better players. The young strikers you've mentioned all have the potential to be the next Borini (good but not quite good enough). That's no help to Liverpool this season, who already have the current Borini.

That point would make more sense if Balotelli had been a success at his first EPL adventure. Sure, all the above names could take time to settle in, or in worst case,  never settle in England. Just like the case with Diego Costa, Markovic, Enner Valencia, etc. But they would be a lessor risk than Balotelli, with possibly higher return. Don't get me wrong, I do see your point. If Liverpool needed a striker for the next 10 games, Balotelli will probably perform better than any of the above - he is gifted enough, has EPL experience, and has that "don't give a damn" attitude. But Liverpool have Sturridge foe the next few games, so they could have gone for someone who will take a few months to settle in.

Borini was never at the level of players I have mentioned, except for maybe Depay. You were paying for talent there. With players like Martinez, Llorente, Cerci, Destro, you would be paying for a finished product. And these are just some examples from the top of my head... I am sure there are many other options available, because £15-20m is a lot of money outside of England.

Another thing to consider is resale value. I am willing to bet that if (or rather when) Balotelli fails at Liverpool, there will be no one willing to pay Balotelli those kind of wages. For Balotelli to take a pay cut, he will ask for a golden handshake. You will be lucky to get rid of him for free in a year or two. Such things happen, you know... Whereas someone like Destro, his wages will be much lower than Balotelli, and because of his work ethic, he will always be in  demand even if he flops at one club.

Guess who are in Milan's radar to replace Balotelli? Jackson Martinez and Cerci. I doubt Milan would pay 30m for Martinez.

Last edited by bluenine on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:58 pm

I guess for me I'm just glad we're back in the market for exciting young players and are able to be in for big names like Balotelli, Falcao or Cavani. A few years ago Hodgson signed us Joe Cole, Poulsen and Konchesky - we've come a long way.

I want us to win trophies on a consistent basis but while we figure out how best to do that it's a joy to watch players like Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge and I'm really excited to see Markovic, Lallana and Balotelli in action for us as well.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Luis wrote:I guess for me I'm just glad we're back in the market for exciting young players and are able to be in for big names like Balotelli, Falcao or Cavani. A few years ago Hodgson signed us Joe Cole, Poulsen and Konchesky - we've come a long way.

I want us to win trophies on a consistent basis but while we figure out how best to do that it's a joy to watch players like Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge and I'm really excited to see Markovic, Lallana and Balotelli in action for us as well.

That much I will give you... Liverpool will be exciting to watch. For all the criticism, Liverpool and English football will be far more exciting with Balotelli in it. The tabloids must have increased their sales projection by 10% after this transfer Wink

110% wrote:There just aren't any strikers available. Bluenine might be able to reel off a load of Italian names, but none of them got in the Italy team at the world cup ahead of Balotelli.

And in retrospect, how did it turn out for Italy in the World Cup? Prandelli gambled on Balotelli and Cassano, and it backfired terribly.

Lets see what Conte does with Italy now, but I have a feeling that Balotelli (unless he does something great at Liverpool) and Cassano will not have much of a role to play.

I am quite fond of Balotelli. I hope he realises that he has got another shot at top flight that he doesn't deserve, and starts focusing on his game. Because he is gifted, of that there is no doubt. But I wouldn't bet on it...

Last edited by bluenine on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

110%

Post by 110% on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:10 pm

I googled Balotelli and wages and I got this:
https://www.google.fi/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=balotelli%20wages

4.5 million euros/year = 87,500 euros/week = 70,000 GBP/week

Not exactly breaking the bank as far as salary goes.

Adebayor's wages, for comparison, are 7.2 million euros/year (138,000 euros/week).

110%

Post by 110% on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:35 pm

bluenine wrote:
Luis wrote:I guess for me I'm just glad we're back in the market for exciting young players and are able to be in for big names like Balotelli, Falcao or Cavani. A few years ago Hodgson signed us Joe Cole, Poulsen and Konchesky - we've come a long way.

That much I will give you... Liverpool will be exciting to watch. For all the criticism, Liverpool and English football will be far more exciting with Balotelli in it. The tabloids must have increased their sales projection by 10% after this transfer Wink

110% wrote:There just aren't any strikers available. Bluenine might be able to reel off a load of Italian names, but none of them got in the Italy team at the world cup ahead of Balotelli.

And in retrospect, how did it turn out for Italy in the World Cup? Prandelli gambled on Balotelli and Cassano, and it backfired terribly.

Lets see what Conte does with Italy now, but I have a feeling that Balotelli (unless he does something great at Liverpool) and Cassano will not have much of a role to play.

I am quite fond of Balotelli. I hope he realises that he has got another shot at top flight that he doesn't deserve, and starts focusing on his game. Because he is gifted, of that there is no doubt. But I wouldn't bet on it...

The only place you can compare your list of Italian strikers is at the national level, and the man in charge judged Balotelli to be the best of them based on talent. On top of that, even though he played badly, he was still not replaced by any of the others, which kind of says something about how good they are (as well as Balotelli's inconsistency).

Anyway, while I am defending the signing, I do think he is overrated and I do think he won't last more than a season, but I think it is the best option for Liverpool out there in this summer transfer window.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:44 pm

Kimbo

Number of posts : 38169

Post by Kimbo on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:51 pm

If Brenton see's that cartoon he'll be back at his plastic surgeon within an hour.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:05 pm

No thanks to Bluey's random Italian flavour of the month suggestions

Do any of these guys ever turn out to be good ?
Murray

Number of posts : 10183

Post by Murray on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 pm

110% wrote:I googled Balotelli and wages and I got this:
https://www.google.fi/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=balotelli%20wages

4.5 million euros/year = 87,500 euros/week = 70,000 GBP/week

Not exactly breaking the bank as far as salary goes.

Italian salaries are always netto, so you can almost double that
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Maybe now he won't have a reason to walk alone, and he will do well for liverpool

The market has gotten so inflated, that 16m is not a bad deal for him.
TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:13 am

You'd have thought that, after Suarez, Rodgers might have wanted some peace and quiet but no.I guess, conversely, that he feels he can cope with anyone after Suarez. £16m is certainly not a bad business either, if you think Shane Long cost £12m.

One thing though, so far as I am aware Suarez, biting notwithstanding, was a good team player and was well liked by other members of the squad. This certainly doesn't seem to have been the case with Balotelli, at least at City. Not a concern for 'pool fans?

I for one am sorta pleased he's back. He was always good value for entertainment last time around.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:52 am

Suarez off the pitch is about as humble as you get. He's just a tad too competitive on it and gets himself in trouble as a result 😉. He would get a glowing reference off every single member of the Liverpool squad

Balotelli I guess will be the exact opposite 😄

But too much is made out of these things anyway with all this 'he'll cause dressing room unrest' nonsense. He is playing with grown men. Besides he seems like pretty good fun to be around so why would there be an issue ? I don't recall him creating much trouble while at Milan. If he's not putting the work in he won't get picked. Pretty simple.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:57 am

110% wrote:The only place you can compare your list of Italian strikers is at the national level, and the man in charge judged Balotelli to be the best of them based on talent. On top of that, even though he played badly, he was still not replaced by any of the others, which kind of says something about how good they are (as well as Balotelli's inconsistency).

Anyway, while I am defending the signing, I do think he is overrated and I do think he won't last more than a season, but I think it is the best option for Liverpool out there in this summer transfer window.

I also rate Balotelli the best of Italian strikers based on talent. Talent is not the problem here. If Sturridge was Italian, Prandelli still would have started Balotelli above him too. Doesn't prove anything, this way or that.

Anyways, just two of the 6 players I mentioned were Italian.

COTR wrote:No thanks to Bluey's random Italian flavour of the month suggestions

Do any of these guys ever turn out to be good ?

You guys should seriously watch more leagues. Only 2 of the players I suggested were Italian. One is a brasilian playing in Bundesliga, maybe you should ask Blut. One is a Colombian playing in Portugal. One is dutch playing in Eredivisie....  oh, never mind... they are all Italian, and Balotelli is better than all. He was Liverpool's only option, there is no one else who is good enough to play for Liverpool apart from Falcao, Cavani and Balotelli.  Razz

110%

Post by 110% on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:19 am

You're taking 2 separate posts and mixing them together there bluey. No-one said they were all Italian. In one I go through all the names and point out jackson martinez's 30 million release clause, in the other I specifically criticise your listed Italians as I don't see any of them as realistic options.

Everyone just watched the world cup so know who jackson martinez and memphis depay are. Firmino is the only one I didn't know (in my defence I did call him Firmin-who), and of course, that's an Italian name even if he is Brasilian. I just googled him, apparently he's an "attacking midfielder" who plays for the team that finished 16 out of 18 teams in the Bundesliga last season. The more I know, the less of an option he becomes.

As for watching other leagues, if you do watch the Italian, English, Spanish, Portuguese and German leagues, then congrats but I have a life. Even if I watch the EPL, the only match I watched yesterday was Everton-Arsenal. I might not watch any matches today because f other things I am doing, so even if I did watch the bundesliga I wouldn't be watching freaking hoffenhiem.

Anyway as for Milan being linked with jackson martinez etc, that's just a smoke screen (unless it happens) they are also linked with torres and soldado, so I wouldn't be using their targets in any way as a good striker indicator.

Anyway seems like balotelli is on a pretty big salary but if he behaves badly he takes a big loss:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11052186/Liverpool-tell-Mario-Balotelli-he-will-lose-2m-a-year-if-he-misbehaves-after-he-agrees-to-significant-pay-cut.html
So if he behaves badly and liverpool want to get rid, then someone taking him doesn't have to take on the full salary.

110%

Post by 110% on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:27 am

As for the comment on talent. Balotelli has shown he is more talented and can play in the EPL. His attitude is a question mark. Sturridge is just as talented and can play in the EPL, and sometimes has a dodgy attitude. The other Italians you mentioned are less talented and may not be able to adapt to the EPL. They have a great attitude, but what's the point of that if they can't contribute to the team. I'd like to say I have an awesome attitude and would love to sit on the bench and never play while earning a fortune. Please list me as an option as well, just after firmin-who.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 pm

110% wrote:As for the comment on talent. Balotelli has shown he is more talented and can play in the EPL. His attitude is a question mark.

Fair enough. That pretty much sums up both our arguments. Whether this move proves worthwhile for Liverpool, I guess only time will tell. A lot depends on Balotelli's attitude. Good news is that he seems to know that this is his last chance at a top club. So I am guessing he will start well, perhaps have a good 6 months... he is such a wildcard, anything can happen from there on.

On the positive side, he does give Liverpool a ready back up for Sturridge + a quality impact player when the opposition have parked the bus. If Balotelli does show good form in the beginning, the key for Rodgers will be whether can convert Balotelli into a wide forward on the right. If (and that is a BIG IF) Rodgers can successfully do that, you may have a £50m striker on your hands and a potentially lethal Sterling-Sturridge-Balotelli combo... but a note of warning, many coaches have failed trying to make Balotelli run up and down the wing... including Mourinho.
RedDevil

Number of posts : 57
Supports : Man Utd
Favourite Player : Rooney
Registration date : 2014-06-27

Post by RedDevil on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Balotelli is a lost cause. He will end up like Adriano or Stan Collymore. Funny that Liverpool actually shelled out that much money to buy him. lol!
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:05 am

Re Balotelli: Transfer fee doesn't tell the whole story, although it's pretty moderate in today's market indeed (probably shows how much (rather stingy) Milan wanted to get rid of him though, if anything...). What about his wages? How much is he going to earn at Anfield?

Edit: Saw the numbers posted earlier. If those 'moderate' wages are really true, the risk isn't that high indeed. Whatever, Mario has to deliver. It's probably his last chance to rescue his career. That match vs. Germany in 2012 alone will not do considering his potential and what people expected from him when he first entered the scene.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 pm