The Next England Squad

110%

Number of posts : 8978
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by 110% on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:16 pm

RedknappIsAGenius wrote:
110% wrote:
debaser wrote:So what English players does Woy like? Recalls for Joe Cole and Danny Murphy?! Zamora? I guess he might convince Foster to come back so we have a decent backup keeper. Er, Konchesky pale

Konchesky is a definite lol!

Anyway commiserations to the England team. Hodgson can take a bunch of mediocre players and give them some formation and tactics to make sure they don't lose too often (Fulham, WBA), but he can't take a group of players who can play football (Inter, Liverpool) and make them win, especially with any style.

The English side ARE a bunch of mediocre players.

Depends on if you know enough about football to be able to tell the difference. There is a clear difference between players like zamora and players like rooney, but if you cannot see it, you may as well give up on football.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:43 pm

lol!

This has to be some sort of sick joke.

People actually settling for Roy Hodgson as England manager, 'give him a go'

I can't wait to see how this one turns out Very Happy
ERIK LAMELA

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:20 pm

110% wrote:
RedknappIsAGenius wrote:
110% wrote:
debaser wrote:So what English players does Woy like? Recalls for Joe Cole and Danny Murphy?! Zamora? I guess he might convince Foster to come back so we have a decent backup keeper. Er, Konchesky pale

Konchesky is a definite lol!

Anyway commiserations to the England team. Hodgson can take a bunch of mediocre players and give them some formation and tactics to make sure they don't lose too often (Fulham, WBA), but he can't take a group of players who can play football (Inter, Liverpool) and make them win, especially with any style.

The English side ARE a bunch of mediocre players.

Depends on if you know enough about football to be able to tell the difference. There is a clear difference between players like zamora and players like rooney, but if you cannot see it, you may as well give up on football.

lol! Of course I can tell the difference. What I'm saying is that players like Lampard, Gerrard, Walcott, Parker, Terry, etc are criminally overrated. Rooney is an exception. Anyway these players are the Zamora of the international football scene.
Puro

Number of posts : 10676
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Good morning mes amis! We have a good game today, eh! Biggrin

I told you all that Hodgson is a better choice for England than Rednap, and here's why:

EXPERIENCE!

Back in 1994 Hodgson took a Swiss team and advanced to the KO stages from a very tough group. There were two very competitive groups in that WC, the USA's and México's group.

Hodgson's pussy football surprised the USA and Romania, but then got destroyed by Colombia in the last game of the group stage and by Spain in the KO rounds.

It is the best chance for England to have any 'success'. Pussy their way out of the group stage, playing pussy football like minnows and nick a goal out of nowhere just like Chelsea against Barcelona...and hang on for dear life.

England has a good chance of advancing in the Euro and get KO in the KO stage immediately IF Hodgson's the manager. <Ale>

Last edited by PuroReturns on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

worms.

Number of posts : 5010
Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Post by worms. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Rooney is overrated as well,he can't dribble therefore he always loses the ball when he isn't given any time on the ball in tight spaces,he scores in patches etc

worms.

Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23

Post by worms. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:36 pm

Contrary to popular opinion I think Hodgson will be good for England,throughout his career he has thrived while managing small teams opposed to big teams.
ERIK LAMELA

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:37 pm

PuroReturns wrote:Good morning mes amis! We have a good game today, eh! Biggrin

I told you all that Hodgson is a better choice for England than Rednap, and here's why:

EXPERIENCE!

Back in 1994 Hodgson took a Swiss team and advanced to the KO stages from a very tough group. There were two very competitive groups in that WC, the USA's and México's group.

Hodgson's pussy football surprised the USA and Romania, but then got destroyed by Colombia in the last game of the group stage and by Spain in the KO rounds.

It is the best chance for England to have any 'success'. Pussy their way out of the group stage, playing pussy football like minnows and nick a goal out of nowhere just like Chelsea against Barcelona...and hang on for dear life.

England has a good chance of advancing in the Euro and get KO in the KO stage immediately IF Hodgson's the manager. <Ale>

Puro, good morning from an Argentinian. How are things? Do you live in Peru?

I actually agree regarding Hodgson. England's best chance of ANY success in an international tournament is to defend like mad and hope they get lucky with a goal.

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:39 pm

A Argentinian Spurs fan? Get the fuck outta here! lol!
Puro

Post by Puro on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:43 pm

RedknappIsAGenius wrote:
Puro, good morning from an Argentinian. How are things? Do you live in Peru?

I actually agree regarding Hodgson. England's best chance of ANY success in an international tournament is to defend like mad and hope they get lucky with a goal.

I live in the USA, but generally spend around two months in Perú every year visiting the Vaterland you know 'El Ombligo del Mundo'. Biggrin

Where do you live? We have an Argie here in the messageboards somewhere, several Brasucas. Todos hermanos.
Puro

Post by Puro on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:44 pm

It's Tito time! wrote:A Argentinian Spurs fan? Get the fuck outta here! lol!

I wouldn't be surprised that he's Ardiles himself. Biggrin
ERIK LAMELA

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I live in Australia, but my mother and her family are from Córdoba. I have an English father, so you can imagine that it was just perfect when Ossie and Ricky signed for the club.

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:07 pm

So you're half Argentinian then,not Argentinian.
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Hindsight is an interesting thing.

Hodgson was well schooled in the Italian art of defensive organisation and tactical nous.

You see, say what you will about England and it's overrated players, we also live by a different set of rules.

I remember Hodgson taking charge of Switzerland and Finland, and his Championship winning Copenhagen side, and when he was winning the Swedish titles with Malmo.

What is now being called "pussy" football is what, if Hodgson were Italian, would be called intelligent , organised football making the best of resources.

His time at Liverpool has discoloured his reputation somewhat, rightly or wrongly (he had just over 100 days and about 10 million pounds to Kenny's 100 million to build his own team)

but anyone who watched Fulham under his stewardship would certainly not get away with the claim they played pussy football. Juve getting beaten 4-1 in the Europa League would beg to differ. As would winning away in Germany and knocking out two top bundesliga sides in Hamburg and Wolfsburg during that run, and only narrowly losing in the final 2-1 to an (admittedly superior) Atletico Madrid side.

You see, when Englanders play defensive, it's knows as pussy football. When Italians or anyone else does it, it's usually disciplined, tactical grandeur.

So I don't believe Woy is the dour numpty that the media and Liverpool fans in particularly wish us to believe.

And right now, he doesn't have a wealth of riches in the English National Team to play with, nobody does, so I don't see him being a poor choice.

The biggest thing that will be happening to the English National Team will be the opening of St George's Park end of the year. Essentially the Clarefontaine / La Masia centralised centre for English football, we will finally have a place where all National teams from youth to senior side will have the opportunity to see succession in terms of tactics, playing style and coaching. It won't necessarily mean England will win the World Cup, but like the centralised changes that were made to the English Rugby team under Woodward and the Cricket Team under Fletcher, it will almost certainly have a positive impact.

Therefore, what will be more interesting is who is in charge in 5-6 years' time when the expectation will be of a properly competitive England side, not now when it makes little difference

ERIK LAMELA

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:24 pm

It's Tito time! wrote:So you're half Argentinian then,not Argentinian.

Yes, But for the purposes of impressing Señor Puro, I am Argentinian.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:32 pm

To look at it another way Pele, can you point out any positives he will bring to the position. I can certainly highlight plenty of negatives and can't think of a single positive aspect to his management from his limited stint in charge of Liverpool

Negatives

1) Man management skills - Very, very poor as evidenced by him publicly blaming defeats on individual players and consistently deflecting any blame on everything but himself
2) Tactical ability - 4-4-2 football - If you are looking for innovative thinking, this is not your man. You would be hard pressed to find another manager on the planet (Fat Sam aside) more set in their ways
3) Handling of the media - He will be ripped to shreds if the pressure comes on. He is too weak, too arrogant (although I believe this is unintentional) and simply not clever enough to cope with the demands that will be placed on him

He has many other faults which I won't go into now but these three above are pretty much at the core of what you would expect an England manager to be required to be good at. Hodgson is shocking at all three.

And to counter this

Positives

I honestly can't think of a single tangible one

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:38 pm

COTR wrote:To look at it another way Pele, can you point out any positives he will bring to the position. I can certainly highlight plenty of negatives and can't think of a single positive aspect to his management from his limited stint in charge of Liverpool

Negatives

1) Man management skills - Very, very poor as evidenced by him publicly blaming defeats on individual players and consistently deflecting any blame on everything but himself
2) Tactical ability - 4-4-2 football - If you are looking for innovative thinking, this is not your man. You would be hard pressed to find another manager on the planet (Fat Sam aside) more set in their ways
3) Handling of the media - He will be ripped to shreds if the pressure comes on. He is too weak, too arrogant (although I believe this is unintentional) and simply not clever enough to cope with the demands that will be placed on him

He has many other faults which I won't go into now but these three above are pretty much at the core of what you would expect an England manager to be required to be good at. Hodgson is shocking at all three.

And to counter this

Positives

I honestly can't think of a single tangible one

scratch

Hodgson might be thick but not as stupid as that.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Hodgson comes across as proud and stubborn but not stupid.

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:48 pm

He comes across as someone who licks windows.
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:49 pm

debaser wrote:Hodgson comes across as proud and stubborn but not stupid.

Bit stupid to alianate the likes of Agger, Reina and Torres who were at the time some of the fans favourites no?

Hodgson is arrogant, bottling and never won anything of note.

If this is who people want as the England manager then be prepared for a lot more suffering.
debaser

Post by debaser on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:07 pm

I don't know the ins and outs of who Hodgson alienated at Liverpool but such things are not necessarily a good measure of intelligence. I'll admit Hodgson was pretty foolish not to suck off the Liverpool fans in every interview he did, because no fanbase has quite such an obsession with being told how great and special it is.

Anyway it doesn't make any odds who people here want - it's who the FA choose to hire and seemingly they've chosen Hodgson. It's not a choice that inspires me, but then I don't think there's many good options currently.
Luis

Post by Luis on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:14 pm

debaser wrote:I don't know the ins and outs of who Hodgson alienated at Liverpool but such things are not necessarily a good measure of intelligence. I'll admit Hodgson was pretty foolish not to suck off the Liverpool fans in every interview he did, because no fanbase has quite such an obsession with being told how great and special it is.

Anyway it doesn't make any odds who people here want - it's who the FA choose to hire and seemingly they've chosen Hodgson. It's not a choice that inspires me, but then I don't think there's many good options currently.

It's like Mcleish being offered the job - your Mcleish is our Hodgson; someone who might as well have had a 'how to perform your job as bad as possible' manual before he started.

The FA have had their most embarassing year to date - I can't think of a single decision they've got right, they've been a sham and if they do hire Hodgson it just shows that the men who run our football in this country know squat all about it.

Redknapp is a far better, although not brilliant, manager to choose - his teams look to play good football, he's clearly ambitious and a manager that players both respect and fear but also can have a laugh with.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:14 pm

debaser wrote:I don't know the ins and outs of who Hodgson alienated at Liverpool but such things are not necessarily a good measure of intelligence. I'll admit Hodgson was pretty foolish not to suck off the Liverpool fans in every interview he did, because no fanbase has quite such an obsession with being told how great and special it is.

Exactly

It takes quite a high level of incompetence to incur the wrath of an entire set of supporters so you have to ask yourself just how appalling this man was / is to be able to achieve such a feat. Luis includes a valid reference to your Ginger Scottish idiot.

Believe me when I say the man is stupid. Constant contradictory excuses, lowering of expectations, failure to admit any sort of accountability for his actions, failure to immerse himself in the club he was employed by. This is all before you even get to discussing the football he produced. As just one of countless examples, this is a man who praised the team to the high heavens after he had produced one of the worst Liverpool displays in recent season after getting trounced by Everton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1321329/Roy-Hodgson-Everton-defeat-best-Ive-seen-Liverpool-season.html

A bumbling fool
ERIK LAMELA

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:28 pm

COTR wrote:

Exactly

It takes quite a high level of incompetence to incur the wrath of an entire set of supporters so you have to ask yourself just how appalling this man was / is to be able to achieve such a feat. Luis includes a valid reference to your Ginger Scottish idiot.

Believe me when I say the man is stupid. Constant contradictory excuses, lowering of expectations, failure to admit any sort of accountability for his actions, failure to immerse himself in the club he was employed by. This is all before you even get to discussing the football he produced. As just one of countless examples, this is a man who praised the team to the high heavens after he had produced one of the worst Liverpool displays in recent season after getting trounced by Everton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1321329/Roy-Hodgson-Everton-defeat-best-Ive-seen-Liverpool-season.html

A bumbling fool

Sounds like "The People's Choice" - Harry Redknapp.
debaser

Post by debaser on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:37 pm

COTR wrote:

Exactly

A bumbling fool

What does this even mean?

Again, these things you are listing are not really related to intelligence. He did give some downright odd & absurd interviews, I don't disagree there. I think it was down to him not handling the pressure of Liverpool well, which is why I'm wary about how he'll do in an even more high-pressure job.

Still, Hodgson is leagues ahead of McLeish as a manager.
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:37 pm

You can't be comparing the Villa Mcleish situation though to Hodgson at Liverpool.

Mcleish had just been relegated with Birmingham.

Hodgson had just got Fulham to the Europa League final and built Fulham into one of the better passing teams in the division.

I'm not suggesting Liverpool fans should like Hodgson (although claiming his team played well but lost or drew is nothing new, and infact happens an awful lot, just ask Kenny), but his record there was 100 days of his managerial career. It was always going to be a poisoned chalice given the stage it was in Liverpool's history with Gillette and Hicks more interested in trying to sell the club than back their manager.

Hodgson has international pedigree. It's not outstanding with large international sides, but he could do worse than get rid of all the egos in the England dressing room and "start again" with a team more humble and modest about it's capabilities for the time being.

Redknapp would have been the antithesis. Tabloid media frenzy, soundbites at every opportunity, telling all a sundry what triffic players we have, what a top top lad John Terry is, how his nephew Lamps is a world beater.

The next two to four years are a write off in terms of this England team in my opinion anyway

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Hodgson's Liverpool did NOT play well!! Neither did his Inter team.

I don't think bringing back Konchesky will be of any help to England.

People talk about ego's and Lampard being shit, but didn't he provide the 2 telling moments along with Ramirez, to knock barca out of the CL? No way is Hodgson getting rid of lampard, in fact I can see a lampard-gerrard midfield combo coming up, and possibly he'll be asking Becks to come out of retirement

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm

One of the things that might count against Hodgson though is that he clearly likes to have a well-drilled discipline side, and maybe he won't have enough time with the players to really implement that with England (especially as some of the senior players quite possibly won't be pulling in the same direction).

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:55 pm

110% wrote:Hodgson's Liverpool did NOT play well!! Neither did his Inter team.

I don't think bringing back Konchesky will be of any help to England.

People talk about ego's and Lampard being shit, but didn't he provide the 2 telling moments along with Ramirez, to knock barca out of the CL? No way is Hodgson getting rid of lampard, in fact I can see a lampard-gerrard midfield combo coming up, and possibly he'll be asking Becks to come out of retirement

#inb4someonesayslampardandgerrardcantplaytogether
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 pm

He is the best candidate for the job by a mile (hardly saying much).

Will he be a success ?

Depends what you call a success.

Getting out of the group at Euros would be a success IMO - but the press won't have that.

How many teams have an equal or greater chance than us of winning the WC?

Brazil
Argentina
Uruguay
France
Italy
Germany
Holland
Spain
Portugal
Japan

Would the press have that ? No chance.

rarely would there have been an England manager who they have the knives out for so early - they didn't get their man.

It used to be Levy who always wins - now its Redknapp.

We will hardly set the world alight and every journo will be saying how much better it would be under Redknapp.

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Chile,Ghana,Mexico and Paraguay are better than Japan.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:15 pm