The Next England Squad

Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
Favourite Player : Ozil
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:24 pm

Sturridge is good, Welbeck is good, Jinky is good (needs more game time), The Ox is good, Lansbury is good.

Potential Ale

Downing, Milner and Barry Doh
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:24 pm

At least I didn't start trading insults childishly lol!

I framed it as a question, not a definite statement.

Giggs-Carrick (vs City, Pool) / Cleverley-Anderson (early part of the season vs Spurs, Arsenal) - have both been the most successful pairs for United.

Carrick-Cleverley will make a tremendous central midfield pairing.
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Downing didnt do anything wrong when he came on. Even put the cross in that lead to the Sturridge chance..which he completely wasted..

no Doh for him though? Odd.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Fade out wrote:At least I didn't start trading insults childishly lol!

I framed it as a question, not a definite statement.

Giggs-Carrick (vs City, Pool) / Cleverley-Anderson (early part of the season vs Spurs, Arsenal) - have both been the most successful pairs for United.

Carrick-Cleverley will make a tremendous central midfield pairing.

You framed it as a stupid question then ok
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Bernd,

That's exactly what we're talking about. Not a mention about the complete non-existence of shape & embarrassing for a DM to keep backing off for that Robben goal & then his embarrassing slip that allowed Holland to counter attack. 'does not give the ball away' not true!
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:28 pm

I would call it an unfortunate slip, rather than an embarrassing slip.

Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
Supports : Palestine
Favourite Player : Hlder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:29 pm

debaser wrote:
Fade out wrote:Have you seen United play with Cleverley-Carrick-Giggs this season?

No. Have you? No. Because it has never happened. Seriously. Cleverley's played first four league matches of the season - and Carrick didn't appear in the league at all til he replaced Cleverley when he went off injured, while Giggs was used sparingly early in season. Since then Cleverley made 1 league appearance, against Everton, when he got injured again and Giggs/Carrick weren't playing. He's also played a handful of cup matches, none of which featured Giggs and few Carrick (I just looked this up, I don't know these things off hand, I just enjoy proving people wrong Wink )

Hey Bobby! What's the French for SERIOUS PWNAGE Grr ?
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:29 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:Downing didnt do anything wrong when he came on. Even put the cross in that lead to the Sturridge chance..which he completely wasted..

no Doh for him though? Odd.

That one cross will earn him 10 more caps. Engerland cheers
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm sorry but Downing has been about the England squad for ages and has never shown anything worth being first choice IMO.

Young, AJ, Ox, Sturridge (even though he's a striker) and Lennon are all better and more deserving of a spot.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Romford Pele wrote:I'm sorry but Downing has been about the England squad for ages and has never shown anything worth being first choice IMO.

Young, AJ, Ox, Sturridge (even though he's a striker) and Lennon are all better and more deserving of a spot.

Lennon lol! lol!

He's had nearly 20 caps and done sod all with them. Certainly hasnt shown any worth.

Ox hasnt done anywhere near enough to start for England.

Young was fucking abysmal AGAIN last night.

Johnson was okay, ran at people, had one decent shot..other than that what exactly did he do to make him more deserving?

Sturridge is probably the only one really "deserving" of a spot out of that lot.

And as I said before, Downing was MOTM in one of the last England games and performed very well in in the last few. MOTM at the weekend as well.

Sorry, but the bias sometimes on here is ridiculous. Downing isnt a star by any means..but to suggest these players are more deserving is crazy. One of them hardly plays for his club(Johnson). Two of them arent nearly as good as what people seem to think(Young and Lennon), one is a child(Ox) and the other has much prove yet (Sturridge)

Last edited by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:37 pm

To be fair, Milner-Barry was a successful partnership for Villa, as was Young-Downing, so I think we should go with Young-Milner-Barry-Downing.

To be fair Ale

Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I agree with Romford Pele. Downing is world class for his age but he hasn't taken his opportunities to make the place his own and there are too many younger alternatives who deserve a shot. The likes of Downing, Barry, Milner, Lescott, Bent, Defoe, Crouch should be retired now to make space for the sexy young things like Wilshere, Cleverley, Agbonlahor, Rodwell etc who aren't a lot worse and could get a lot better.

even Andy Townsend said it
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Young & Downing didn't play in three man CM. FAIL! lol!
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Christmas Glenn Hysn wrote:I agree with Romford Pele. Downing is world class for his age but he hasn't taken his opportunities to make the place his own and there are too many younger alternatives who deserve a shot. The likes of Downing, Barry, Milner, Lescott, Bent, Defoe, Crouch should be retired now to make space for the sexy young things like Wilshere, Cleverley, Agbonlahor, Rodwell etc who aren't a lot worse and could get a lot better.

even Andy Townsend said it

lol!
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Didn't Downing admit to struggling with the pressure at Liverpool earlier on this season? Ridiculous mentality if true.

I'm going on pure ability here.

How can England move on if they keep picking the same dross that is yet to achieve anything despite a significant number of chances? The likes of Wilshere, Cleverley, Ox and Rodwell may not have much experience but they sure as hell have a lot more ability than the guys I criticised above.

So what if they haven't proven much? The experienced golden shower of shite before had yet they were absolutely dire at international level.

These guys play without any fear and we should be looking to expose them from now. England are never going to win the Euros regardless of what team we take so why not give the younger players a chance to get tournament experience and build from there - similar to the Germany model.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Fade out wrote:Young & Downing didn't play in three man CM. FAIL! lol!

scratch
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Fade out wrote:Young & Downing didn't play in three man CM. FAIL! lol!

Whooooossssshhhhhhhhh
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:46 pm

That was for S4P.

If Carrick could make a good CM partnership with Scholes & Giggs, and if Cleverley could do so with Anderson, so why not Carrick-Cleverley?

Expect SAF to play that duo vs City if both fit.
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Hart

Walker/Richards Jones/Smalling Cahill/Lescott/Jagielka Cole/Baines

Rodwell/Parker Wilshere/Cleverley

Sturridge/AJ Rooney/Wilshere/Lansbury Ox/Young

Rooney/Welbeck/Sturridge

Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:47 pm

oh dear
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Fade out wrote:Bernd,

That's exactly what we're talking about. Not a mention about the complete non-existence of shape & embarrassing for a DM to keep backing off for that Robben goal & then his embarrassing slip that allowed Holland to counter attack. 'does not give the ball away' not true!

What? This is the whole frickin' point though - the midfield played with plenty of shape last night. I don't know what game were you watching?!

I'm going to assume the Robben goal you saw on the highlights gave you the impression the midfield was in disarray. It wasn't. That was a momentary lack of concentration where Young lost the ball in a position he drifted into when shouldn't have, but there were still 3 English defenders V 2 Dutch attackers who made the further mistake of backing off and Smalling got sucked in by Huntelaar's run.

How that was Parker - or Milner's - fault, or a non existence of shape I dunno. I'd suggest it was the fault of the young central defenders, not the midfield.

Last edited by Metta World Peace on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Romford Pele wrote:Didn't Downing admit to struggling with the pressure at Liverpool earlier on this season? Ridiculous mentality if true.

I'm going on pure ability here.

How can England move on if they keep picking the same dross that is yet to achieve anything despite a significant number of chances? The likes of Wilshere, Cleverley, Ox and Rodwell may not have much experience but they sure as hell have a lot more ability than the guys I criticised above.

So what if they haven't proven much? The experienced golden shower of shite before had yet they were absolutely dire at international level.

These guys play without any fear and we should be looking to expose them from now. England are never going to win the Euros regardless of what team we take so why not give the younger players a chance to get tournament experience and build from there - similar to the Germany model.

Rodwell??? Having a laugh here. He's not even that good for Everton..

And no, looking at the quotes, it doesnt seem that Downing ever said he was struggling with the pressure. He said the pressure was bigger than he had assumed it would be but that he would adapt, that's all I can see in there. HOW RIDICULOUS!!

Talk about "pure ability" all you want..I want to see some good performances in an England shirt from some of these guys before we start saying they're better than others. Young has had a few games, never done anything special. Lennon has had loads of games, hasnt ever impressed, looks like a skinny SWP.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Lansbury as well..he's playing in the Championship and looking good..I dont think that makes him an international yet. Might as well just stick Sordell up front.
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Wonderful shape there with Parker leaving the entire midfield open for counter! And his pace got exposed there vs Robben.
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Rodwell is a much more intelligent player than either Barry or Milner.

Fair enough. Still my point stands about Downing.

Young has 4 in his last 5 for England. And even when he's not playing well, he's still a threat from set pieces and a much better finisher than Downing.
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Lansbury was just me being silly because I think he should get a chance at Arsenal. Saying that though, he performs very well in a CAM role for the U21.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Romford Pele wrote:Rodwell is a much more intelligent player than either Barry or Milner.

Oh come on now. Based on what? Do you think Rodwell would be starting every week for Man City, like Barry does? He can't even get in the Everton team half the time. Barry has his weaknesses but his intelligence at reading the game is one of his big strengths.
Fade out

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Boro will be happy with this XI:

-------Hart
XXX--XX--XX--XXXX
-----Parker
AJ-----------Downing
---Joseph-desire-Job
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Fade out wrote:Wonderful shape there with Parker leaving the entire midfield open for counter! And his pace got exposed there vs Robben.

Being done for pace by the famously sluggish Arjen Robben is worthy of criticism...Laughing

Relentless, idiotic wummery. Your stock continues to fall. Shame
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Romford Pele wrote:Rodwell is a much more intelligent player than either Barry or Milner.

Fair enough. Still my point stands about Downing.

Young has 4 in his last 5 for England. And even when he's not playing well, he's still a threat from set pieces and a much better finisher than Downing.

So we're just going on stats rather than him being rubbish when he plays? Alright then..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:15 pm