The Next England Squad

Share
avatar
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Age : 30
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Fade out wrote:Boro will be happy with this XI:

-------Hart
XXX--XX--XX--XXXX
-----Parker
AJ-----------Downing
---Joseph-desire-Job

Good old Desire Ale
avatar
Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
Age : 27
Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
Favourite Player : Ozil
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:02 pm

It's just a stat i've thrown out there. I still maintain he's better though. Downing has been on the international scene longer and hasn't amounted to anything.
avatar
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Age : 30
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Romford Pele wrote:It's just a stat i've thrown out there. I still maintain he's better though. Downing has been on the international scene longer and hasn't amounted to anything.

Fine, but then dont throw Lennon in the hat when he's been around for almost as long (has about 10 caps less) when he's probably actually been worse than Downing.
avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:05 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:
Romford Pele wrote:Rodwell is a much more intelligent player than either Barry or Milner.

Fair enough. Still my point stands about Downing.

Young has 4 in his last 5 for England. And even when he's not playing well, he's still a threat from set pieces and a much better finisher than Downing.

So we're just going on stats rather than him being rubbish when he plays? Alright then..

Downing did ok yesterday. I'll give him that. Shame he didn't connect with that volley, but he had just come on.

Would agree with Romford that Young is definitely more of a threat in the final third. still the best option of all the wide men in the squad / available. Including Lennon... (show I'm not bias)
avatar
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Age : 30
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Metta World Peace wrote:
christmasborocooper wrote:
Romford Pele wrote:Rodwell is a much more intelligent player than either Barry or Milner.

Fair enough. Still my point stands about Downing.

Young has 4 in his last 5 for England. And even when he's not playing well, he's still a threat from set pieces and a much better finisher than Downing.

So we're just going on stats rather than him being rubbish when he plays? Alright then..

Downing did ok yesterday. I'll give him that. Shame he didn't connect with that volley, but he had just come on.


Would agree with Romford that Young is definitely more of a threat in the final third. still the best option of all the wide men in the squad / available. Including Lennon... (show I'm not bias)

You'd think so..but he doesnt do anywhere near enough. Man United fans have been slagging him off a bit lately as well. Sloppy with his end product, sloppy with his passing, set pieces are hugely inconsistant, plays on the left but 90% of the time he wont hit the ball with his left..cuts inside then over hits his crosses.

Doesnt seem as good as that great season he had at Villa a few years back.
avatar
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Age : 53
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Fade out on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Thought you'd like it, Boro bro. Smile

Could do one more for my pal, Bellernd XI:

----------Hart
Walker-Dawson--Caulker-Rose
--Parker--Huddlestone--Livermore
-Lennon----Defoe---Kane


Crazy
avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Fey on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Parker received a warm reception from the Wembley crowd when his name was announced - and further endeared himself to England's supporters with brave blocks from Wesley Sneijder and Robin van Persie as well as a powerful challenge on the Arsenal striker to win possession.

lol! lol! lol!
avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:23 pm

Kuyt and De Jong did try and break him in two, shows how much the Dutch were shitting their pants about the man with the oversized head and side parting



avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Fey on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Imagine the title of his biography: ''From Waterhead, to Head of the national team''
avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Recognise this young whippersnapper from a Mcdonald's advert back in 1994?

Head and haircut as awesome as ever:


Brian2468

Number of posts : 4873
Age : 57
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Brian2468 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Wow lots go undertow here from the game will read up on it all later...... Watched England and Holland and later Germany and France what a difference in the two games.

The latter game was played at a much higher overall tempo both teams clearly wanted to win. There was many mistakes but the level was much higher than the England Holland game.

Our players sucked in the effort department all but a few gave it 100% this has to be blamed on the Coach and the Managers of the EPL clubs. Nothing is gained from a friendly where the squad goes out and does not play for the shirt.

Robbens goal where he runs through our midfield showed there was no desire or plan to control the game in the middle from the Coaches and the players.

First half was boring but Robben could never of been able to threaten England in the middle. The second was completely open and the Dutch were better at producing opportunities through a band of misfits that had no winnable plan other than not getting injured.

It looks now we have a few players up front that are useful Johnson, Sturridge, Welbeck, can be a threat what we need now more than anything is a middle that can get the ball to theses players without stretching and leaving gaps in the middle if we get countered.

Did we learn much from this game no. Was there any advantage to playing the friendly this way no..... Well some young players got get experience but really this method of half hearted displays is sending the wrong message, if things are not going your way it does not really matter. Shocked

So roll on France and Germany they know what it really requires to win 100% organized team effort even in friendlies. <Ale>



Last edited by Brian2468 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Age : 38
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueo, Redondo, Ral, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Jaime on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Metta World Peace wrote:Recognise this young whippersnapper from a Mcdonald's advert back in 1994?

Head and haircut as awesome as ever:


Is it you????? cheers
avatar
Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
Age : 31
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Bashmachkin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:39 pm

I've mentioned before that opinion of Parker during his time at Newcastle was quite sharply divided between those on the one hand who appreciated what they perceived as his determination, work-rate and solidity; and those on the other who felt he pirouetted on the ball too much and hampered our attacks. I suppose both opinions may have been borne particularly in the context of the players Parker replaced at Newcastle - particularly Dyer and Jenas - but whatever, he began to be jeered on occasion despite being our captain, he responded angrily, and was ultimately sold.

For my part, I like Parker, though I do think he's a certain type of showboat who likes to stress how much work he's doing, how tough he is in the tackle. I think he could be a little more restrained at times. Still, I think England do need somebody in the centre of midfield with his physicality - I think a midfield of Cleverley and Carrick would perhaps be too passive, especially since I don't think England press especially effectively, or as effectively as they could, high up the pitch. I'd have one of Carrick or Barry in the squad; but the question for me would be who to play with Parker. Wilshere and Cleverley seem like good candidates, but I think Danny Guthrie deserves a mention: the other two may be deemed better long-term prospects, but they've suffered with injuries this season whereas Guthrie has performed well and is equally progressive in his play - his short passing game is very good, he has good feet, and he's always looking to receive the ball and build moves. More than Cabaye and Tiote in our side, he is the central midfielder who looks to make things happen, to increase the tempo of the game.

Elsewhere I too like Welbeck for his physical qualities, his movement and his skill with the ball. I thought it was funny that the BBC (I think it was the BBC) after the game last night wrote that he'd have to do more in order to replace Darren Bent as England's striker for the European Championships - that seemed to reflect a lack of appreciation for the work he did put in, and more it seemed to ignore the fact that there aren't really any other strong candidates. Who, aside from Welbeck and Rooney, will go? Defoe? Carroll? Zamora? Agbonlahor?

I thought Smalling did awfully for Robben's first goal last night, and perhaps didn't do a great job for Huntelaar's either, though at least there he was suitably punished. I like Smalling, and I like Jones too, but I'm not sure that either warrant a starting place for England. I'm aware that there are a group of defenders about at the moment labelled first and foremost 'good footballers', as though you can be good at football whilst simultaneously being a complete liability in the position in which you play; that point aside, I do think Smalling and Jones show potential, but at the moment I'd probably prefer Lescott, Cahill, Jagielka, perhaps even Steven Taylor if he recovers fitness. England have had Ferdinand and Terry for so long, and Campbell before and alongside them, and it seems like there's going to be a period of transition now at centre-back.

Brian2468

Number of posts : 4873
Age : 57
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Brian2468 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Bash I think the middle in the second half were doomed from the start. The middle was hell

worms.

Number of posts : 5010
Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(Espaa)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by worms. on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Metta World Peace wrote:What "evidence" last night?

Who is saying he played poorly yesterday? You? Worms? Two people who weren't even watching the game in it's entirety last night? Two of the boards most illustrious WUM's?

A 10 second clip of him falling over? Enough to convince any jury I'm sure....

And the Carrick argument is quite brilliant. We can confirm that Cabaye and Tiote are also far inferior because they've failed to play regularly in the CL.. Laughing

I did watch the full game last night speak for yourself.

You seem pretty angry that Parker has been found out at the highest level on numerous occasions this season.

It's funny the way anybody who criticizes English or especially Tottenham players is called a WUM by MWP,it's getting kind of old.
avatar
The Prfessr

Number of posts : 10076
Age : 67
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by The Prfessr on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Metta World Peace wrote:
The Professor wrote:This Parker love in/hype is really getting ridiculous Laughing

But when u see Carrick(who's been the best English CM in the PL this season and generally the better player) not even making the SQUAD then u understand why

Pundits, fans etc love blood and thunder midfielders

I don't personally give an iota about what the media think. What I think is that Parker is more than just a blood and thunder midfielder. I see them as penny to the dozen, the Karl Henry or lee cattermole type. Do you seriously believe Parker is this kind of player? He's disciplined and careful in possession. So he had a bad game against arsenal and got sent off. It can happen when defensively the team is so exposed. Just because the media like him shouldn't skew the fact that for England its important to have a pressing presence in midfield. Carrick is the better passer but you can't play him with Barry itd be suicide given neither are mobile or play a pressing game.

The options should be one of Parker or Milner with wilshere, Barry or Carrick IMO.if playing with 2 CM s. 3 and its a game of pic n mix but in my opinion Parker is crucial. England have looked far better balanced when he plays since he came in in comparison with the last few years.I'd like someone to argue otherwise, back in the days of Gerrard/lampposts with Barry chucked in, getting overrun in the world cup.

Not saying Parker is rubbish, not at all, he's a decent player who runs a lot, wins the ball and does look decent running with it on occasions, but Carrick(a player ridiculed in England, laughable he can't even make the squad despite being the best available CM) is simply the superior footballer. He knows the game far better. He's got better touch , moves the ball quicker, he can anticipate moves and cut out passing options, got top class positioning etc. simply put, he's got better technique and superior tactical knowledge of the game. The reason Carrick isn't as good as say Xabi Alonso is because he lacks balls and still hasn't mastered the art of wriggling his way out of trouble when pressed but he's still a step above Parker and the likes.

And When will this myth stop that u need a 'presence'(in another words a Parker type player) in midfield? ManU have been sleep walking the league over the years with predominantly a Carrick-Schloes/Giggs midfield or similar combination, and we all know about the Barca midfield, where's the presence there? scratch Great 1st touch, ability to move the ball quicker, smart positioning all combined with collective pressing are the qualities needed the most at the highest level and the way to go in midfield: Carrick-Wilshere with Rooney just infront of them ok
avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:51 pm

worms wrote:
Metta World Peace wrote:What "evidence" last night?

Who is saying he played poorly yesterday? You? Worms? Two people who weren't even watching the game in it's entirety last night? Two of the boards most illustrious WUM's?

A 10 second clip of him falling over? Enough to convince any jury I'm sure....

And the Carrick argument is quite brilliant. We can confirm that Cabaye and Tiote are also far inferior because they've failed to play regularly in the CL.. Laughing

I did watch the full game last night speak for yourself.

You seem pretty angry that Parker has been found out at the highest level on numerous occasions this season.

It's funny the way anybody who criticizes English or especially Tottenham players is called a WUM by MWP,it's getting kind of old.

Oi you, behave: you claimed Carrick doesn't get picked because he doesn't play for a London club (and thus insinuated Parker was picked because he does). Laugh

Understandable rational criticism I have no issue with, its all opinions after all, but don't be blaming me for calling you out when you offer up pap like that Laughing

If you watched the entire game then my apologies, was under the impression from your posts last night you were watching the Spain game. You channel flicking whore
avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:08 pm

The Professor wrote:
Metta World Peace wrote:
The Professor wrote:This Parker love in/hype is really getting ridiculous Laughing

But when u see Carrick(who's been the best English CM in the PL this season and generally the better player) not even making the SQUAD then u understand why

Pundits, fans etc love blood and thunder midfielders

I don't personally give an iota about what the media think. What I think is that Parker is more than just a blood and thunder midfielder. I see them as penny to the dozen, the Karl Henry or lee cattermole type. Do you seriously believe Parker is this kind of player? He's disciplined and careful in possession. So he had a bad game against arsenal and got sent off. It can happen when defensively the team is so exposed. Just because the media like him shouldn't skew the fact that for England its important to have a pressing presence in midfield. Carrick is the better passer but you can't play him with Barry itd be suicide given neither are mobile or play a pressing game.

The options should be one of Parker or Milner with wilshere, Barry or Carrick IMO.if playing with 2 CM s. 3 and its a game of pic n mix but in my opinion Parker is crucial. England have looked far better balanced when he plays since he came in in comparison with the last few years.I'd like someone to argue otherwise, back in the days of Gerrard/lampposts with Barry chucked in, getting overrun in the world cup.

Not saying Parker is rubbish, not at all, he's a decent player who runs a lot, wins the ball and does look decent running with it on occasions, but Carrick(a player ridiculed in England, laughable he can't even make the squad despite being the best available CM) is simply the superior footballer. He knows the game far better. He's got better touch , moves the ball quicker, he can anticipate moves and cut out passing options, got top class positioning etc. simply put, he's got better technique and superior tactical knowledge of the game. The reason Carrick isn't as good as say Xabi Alonso is because he lacks balls and still hasn't mastered the art of wriggling his way out of trouble when pressed but he's still a step above Parker and the likes.

And When will this myth stop that u need a 'presence'(in another words a Parker type player) in midfield? ManU have been sleep walking the league over the years with predominantly a Carrick-Schloes/Giggs midfield or similar combination, and we all know about the Barca midfield, where's the presence there? scratch Great 1st touch, ability to move the ball quicker, smart positioning all combined with collective pressing are the qualities needed the most at the highest level and the way to go in midfield: Carrick-Wilshere with Rooney just infront of them ok

presence or pressing? Think you're confusing the two. The example of Barcelona is a good one but because it highlights the importance of pressing across the entire pitch. Nobody in the England team really presses high up the pitch so its imperative the midfield does.

Look at Holland last night: de Jong and VB are hardly highly technical players but they press and Harry . None of the passive immobile shiite we saw in the English midfield in the world cup when Germany were running all over it. Nobody is saying we need a blood and thunder headless chicken. If that's what people think Parker is then well done to them on not being able to spot the difference between him and Gerrard. There's a reason Gerard plays best as a free roaming AM.

worms.

Number of posts : 5010
Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(Espaa)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by worms. on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Metta World Peace wrote:
worms wrote:
Metta World Peace wrote:What "evidence" last night?

Who is saying he played poorly yesterday? You? Worms? Two people who weren't even watching the game in it's entirety last night? Two of the boards most illustrious WUM's?

A 10 second clip of him falling over? Enough to convince any jury I'm sure....

And the Carrick argument is quite brilliant. We can confirm that Cabaye and Tiote are also far inferior because they've failed to play regularly in the CL.. Laughing

I did watch the full game last night speak for yourself.

You seem pretty angry that Parker has been found out at the highest level on numerous occasions this season.

It's funny the way anybody who criticizes English or especially Tottenham players is called a WUM by MWP,it's getting kind of old.

Oi you, behave: you claimed Carrick doesn't get picked because he doesn't play for a London club (and thus insinuated Parker was picked because he does). Laugh

Understandable rational criticism I have no issue with, its all opinions after all, but don't be blaming me for calling you out when you offer up pap like that Laughing

If you watched the entire game then my apologies, was under the impression from your posts last night you were watching the Spain game. You channel flicking whore

Channel flicking whore lol!

I didn't think Spain where on the Tele last night or I probably would have watched it or flicked channels as you said.
avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Don't lie, you were watching Glee. Your secret is safe with me wormolio.

(I quite like the fat black one. Feel sorry for her. Great voice though)

worms.

Number of posts : 5010
Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(Espaa)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by worms. on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't even know what Glee is...Honest Laughing
avatar
The Prfessr

Number of posts : 10076
Age : 67
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by The Prfessr on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Metta World Peace wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Metta World Peace wrote:
The Professor wrote:This Parker love in/hype is really getting ridiculous Laughing

But when u see Carrick(who's been the best English CM in the PL this season and generally the better player) not even making the SQUAD then u understand why

Pundits, fans etc love blood and thunder midfielders

I don't personally give an iota about what the media think. What I think is that Parker is more than just a blood and thunder midfielder. I see them as penny to the dozen, the Karl Henry or lee cattermole type. Do you seriously believe Parker is this kind of player? He's disciplined and careful in possession. So he had a bad game against arsenal and got sent off. It can happen when defensively the team is so exposed. Just because the media like him shouldn't skew the fact that for England its important to have a pressing presence in midfield. Carrick is the better passer but you can't play him with Barry itd be suicide given neither are mobile or play a pressing game.

The options should be one of Parker or Milner with wilshere, Barry or Carrick IMO.if playing with 2 CM s. 3 and its a game of pic n mix but in my opinion Parker is crucial. England have looked far better balanced when he plays since he came in in comparison with the last few years.I'd like someone to argue otherwise, back in the days of Gerrard/lampposts with Barry chucked in, getting overrun in the world cup.

Not saying Parker is rubbish, not at all, he's a decent player who runs a lot, wins the ball and does look decent running with it on occasions, but Carrick(a player ridiculed in England, laughable he can't even make the squad despite being the best available CM) is simply the superior footballer. He knows the game far better. He's got better touch , moves the ball quicker, he can anticipate moves and cut out passing options, got top class positioning etc. simply put, he's got better technique and superior tactical knowledge of the game. The reason Carrick isn't as good as say Xabi Alonso is because he lacks balls and still hasn't mastered the art of wriggling his way out of trouble when pressed but he's still a step above Parker and the likes.

And When will this myth stop that u need a 'presence'(in another words a Parker type player) in midfield? ManU have been sleep walking the league over the years with predominantly a Carrick-Schloes/Giggs midfield or similar combination, and we all know about the Barca midfield, where's the presence there? scratch Great 1st touch, ability to move the ball quicker, smart positioning all combined with collective pressing are the qualities needed the most at the highest level and the way to go in midfield: Carrick-Wilshere with Rooney just infront of them ok

presence or pressing? Think you're confusing the two. The example of Barcelona is a good one but because it highlights the importance of pressing across the entire pitch. Nobody in the England team really presses high up the pitch so its imperative the midfield does.

Look at Holland last night: de Jong and VB are hardly highly technical players but they press and Harry . None of the passive immobile shiite we saw in the English midfield in the world cup when Germany were running all over it. Nobody is saying we need a blood and thunder headless chicken. If that's what people think Parker is then well done to them on not being able to spot the difference between him and Gerrard. There's a reason Gerard plays best as a free roaming AM.

Think I didn't quite get what u meant by a 'pressing presence'. Anyway, u don't need a particular type of player to play a pressing game, nor is any player too immobile to play a pressing game(don't think Carrick is immobile btw, he's just slow). You are not required to go up and down the pitch pressing crazily, it's usually just in a small area(in one half). Some teams(Barca) press high up the pitch in the opposition half whilsts others(like Man U) sit deep in their half and start pressing(and look to play on the counter) when teams enter their half. And it's all about positioning and knowing what the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc defender should do to harras/disposses the ball carrier - up to the coach to get his players know how to do this whilst maintaining the right distance among the players(Benitez is one of the best at this)

lol! Now you've got his avatar Mr Pele

Getting a bit touchy? Razz

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Age : 32
Supports : Arsenal
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Sheffield gunner on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Anyone think Lansbury meant his first goal last night, or was it an over-hit cross?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/england-4-belgium-0-euro-u21-qualifier-february-29-2012/

Brian2468

Number of posts : 4873
Age : 57
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Brian2468 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Sheffield gunner wrote:Anyone think Lansbury meant his first goal last night, or was it an over-hit cross?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/england-4-belgium-0-euro-u21-qualifier-february-29-2012/

Looks like he had to boot it quickly and the end result was a lucky goal.

Brian2468

Number of posts : 4873
Age : 57
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Brian2468 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Hodgson maybe a choice for England manager than Harry seems to do better with less talent and from what I have read in coaching forums is a better coach and knows european football better. The time he had in Liverpool could be compared to Brian Clough at Leeds United.
avatar
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
Age : 107
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Glenn Hoddle has thrown his hat into the ring.

Will never happen but we had a very decent side in '98 - shame some c**t* let us down (and not for the last time)

He got us playing 3 at the back which is not something u expect from one of our managers, he took no shit off Beckham and was strong against the media clamour for Owen to start straightaway.

Argies couldn't break us down 11 v 10.

Mind you having Ince and Scholes probably helped.







* Feel free to substitute "c**t" for "England legend" if you're a johnny come lately footie fan likek Lovejoy or Corden.
avatar
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Age : 37
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by S4P on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Doesn't matter who you choose as manager, England won't be able to move on until the 'golden generation' of Terry, Cole, Lampard and Gerrard have retired. Their player power is ridiculously strong, even at international level.
avatar
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Kimbo on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:20 pm

S4P wrote:Doesn't matter who you choose as manager, England won't be able to move on until the 'golden generation' of Terry, Cole, Lampard and Gerrard have retired. Their player power is ridiculously strong, even at international level.

It's true. On football manager I got rid of them and I won the world cup, true fact!

Brian2468

Number of posts : 4873
Age : 57
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Brian2468 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:30 pm

England do not require the use of the traditional tall Center backs playing against top ball playing sides that only have marginal tall aerial ability After watching Barca beat up on Chelsea and getting no result makes sense. Rather use players that can read the game at the back and are more agile than slow slow oxen's.

worms.

Number of posts : 5010
Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(Espaa)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by worms. on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Brian2468 wrote:England do not require the use of the traditional tall Center backs playing against top ball playing sides that only have marginal tall aerial ability After watching Barca beat up on Chelsea and getting no result makes sense. Rather use players that can read the game at the back and are more agile than slow slow oxen's.

Not every team England play will be Spain,what if they play Germany again?

Sponsored content

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 am