The Next England Squad

christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: The Next England Squad

Post by christmasborocooper on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 pm

Was more of a 4-2-3-1.

Rest is pretty much the case. Milner was fine..did nothing great, did nothing especially bad.

One website said he "put in several dangerous crosses"...I remember one cross, when no one was in the box.
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Mller, Gtze, Neuer, Gndogan
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Kroos on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:11 am

england has still to play montenegro, ukraine and poland, 2 of them are home games; i think the chance that england will bottle it is very high, the pressure in home games is higher, and the away teams won`t risk that much and hit them on counter
Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
Favourite Player : Ozil
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 am

It's McClaren all over again. Need more Arsenalistas in the team ok
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:51 am

Hart's kicking is (still) atrocious.

Ashley Cole has been excellent for England but he has had his turn(s) and if he isn't at his best anymore it seems daft to have him in the team at the expense of Baines.

Smalling did ok, it was the more xperienced Lescott who looked a bit shakey.

Welbeck was poor by his standards but should have had a pen and linked up well with Rooney in the 1st half.

Milner was decent, Rooney started well but faded.

The central midfield was dire - when Montenegro put on an extra attacker Townsend said that it would give England "a midfield advantage".

Townsend should know that "England" and "midfield advantage" can only be used v Andorra and San Marino.

Still the main area of concern for England as it has been for years but I have to say, set-pieces aside, Steven Gerrard was particularly dreadful last night.

Same players - better team:

..............Hart.................

Johnson..Smalling..Lescott..Cole...

Gerrard..Cleverley..Carrick..Milner

...............Rooney..............

...............Welbeck.............
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 am

Why Welbeck is played on the left is ridiculous. What are people expecting him to do. He has the best hold up play of all the England strikers by a country mile.

Pierre's team works better in terms of balance but it is so unspectacular it's unreal. I'd still question the lack of movement off the ball etc.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:08 am

Well well, now the rest of the country are seeing why we loathed Woy so much. It 's quite funny really; people actually believed an average old man with backwards tactics and smug arrogance mixed with a defeatist attitude would do well with England.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:57 pm

We're seriously going to blame Hodgson for Englands lack of talent and mentally weak midfield? tongue Redknapp next I suppose?

The selection of strikers is shite, the fact people are talking about Welbeck... at all... is fucking awful. In the 90s we had Shearer, Fowler, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Cole, Collymore, Le Tissier, Ian Wright, and now look, Danny fucking Welbeck. The kids a decent player but he's a water carrier with 1 goal this season.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:13 pm

it's not all so bleak. I'm not a Hodgson fan but the team will get better, it's extremely unlikely we'll ever see last nights XI start together - there were a lot of players unavailable last night and some decent youngsters coming through at U21 level.
Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Kimbo wrote:The selection of strikers is shite, the fact people are talking about Welbeck... at all... is fucking awful. In the 90s we had Shearer, Fowler, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Cole, Collymore, Le Tissier, Ian Wright, and now look, Danny fucking Welbeck. The kids a decent player but he's a water carrier with 1 goal this season.

Shearer, Ferdinand and Beardsley would be of use but Wright, Fowler, Collymore, Le Tissier would not be worth much in today's game.

Wright has less ability than Welbeck IMO but poachers don't get very far now, Fowler wouldn't physical enough to play right up top now and he wouldn't be quick enough or creative enough to play of a CF - Le Tiss would play Championship football at best if he was around now - PL clubs wouldn't even consisder someone in his physical condition.

Welbeck canot head or strike a ball as well as Shearer or Ferdinand and he doesn't have their goal-scorer's instinct but he is physically superior, more versatile and more skillful.

The likes of Owen, Trezeguet, crespo would not be in demand from top clubs now either.

It is wrong to blame Roy IMO he can only use what he has got but I don't accept Glenn's point about that XI not starting together again because its quite plausible that the same midfield 3 could start again - even the best CB's and CF's are only as good as the level of protection and supply they receive from the midfield.

Wilshere and Chalobah cannot grow up quick enough.
The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 pm

I don't accept Pierre's failure to accept my point about that XI not starting together again, what are the odds that Walcott, Lennon, Wilshere, Jagielka, Dawson, Cahill, Owen etc are all unavailable at the same time again, with the additional variable of the likes of Chamberlain, Downing, Sturridge, Carroll, Baines, Young, Parker, Defoe being overlooked?

Lescott wasn't even in the original 26 man squad.

Kimmy, you can't compare England strikers in the 90's with England strikers in March 2013. It's just silly.
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 pm

ok to Pierre's post

It's not enough to be a great goalscorer. Welbeck's all-round game would make England a much better unit. Have you not seen how Italy have been a lot better since they've been able to use Balotelli as the focal point? Now obviously Welbeck isn't at that level but he has similar qualities which will help to get the better out of those around him.
Murray

Number of posts : 10197

Post by Murray on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm

England's only wins in the group so far have been against San Marino twice & Moldova. They will have to do better than that if they are going to qualify.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Murray wrote:England's only wins in the group so far have been against San Marino twice & Moldova. They will have to do better than that if they are going to qualify.

Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:29 pm

National Glennographic wrote:I don't accept Pierre's failure to accept my point about that XI not starting together again, what are the odds that Walcott, Lennon, Wilshere, Jagielka, Dawson, Cahill, Owen etc are all unavailable at the same time again, with the additional variable of the likes of Chamberlain, Downing, Sturridge, Carroll, Baines, Young, Parker, Defoe being overlooked?

Lescott wasn't even in the original 26 man squad.

Kimmy, you can't compare England strikers in the 90's with England strikers in March 2013. It's just silly.

Fuck off, England have no good goalscorers, that's the point. You can talk about styles all you want, i'm not saying I wish Collymore was still an option.

As for Welbecks skill and physicality, i'd trust Shearers first touch and hold up play over his 100% of the time, the kid reminds me of Shola sometimes. He's fast becoming overrated round these parts.
The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Danny Welbeck is massively overrated. He's decent with his back to goal and adequate when filling in wide, but he's horrible in tight areas and he has knobbly knees. He could play for England as a 1 against better teams infront of a 5-man midfield, but that won't happen while Rooney can stand unaided.
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm

England should play Sturridge Rooney and Walcott as their front 3. Wilshere Carrick and Gerrard, Baines, Lescott , Jagielka and Johnson. Hart.

Simples.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Luis wrote:England should play Sturridge Rooney and Walcott as their front 3. Wilshere Carrick and Gerrard, Baines, Lescott , Jagielka and Johnson. Hart.

Simples.

wouldn't have been that "simples" yesterday with 3 of them injured.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I agree on Welbeck. Decent player, plenty of potential. People are talking like he's brilliant.. He's got an awful goal scoring record.
Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:20 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:I agree on Welbeck. Decent player, plenty of potential. People are talking like he's brilliant.. He's got an awful goal scoring record.

scratch

A goal every 181.6 mins for England and he doesn't even play CF half the time.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:22 pm

debaser wrote:
Luis wrote:England should play Sturridge Rooney and Walcott as their front 3. Wilshere Carrick and Gerrard, Baines, Lescott , Jagielka and Johnson. Hart.

Simples.

I meant at the WC.

On Welbeck, does anyone ever go on like he's amazing really? He's a young promising player but I think Sturridge offers a lot more despite being more greedy and often frustrating.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
christmasborocooper wrote:I agree on Welbeck. Decent player, plenty of potential. People are talking like he's brilliant.. He's got an awful goal scoring record.

scratch

For most players you would point out that 2 of those goals came against San Marino and 2 came in friendlies. You love Welbeck. ok
Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Luis wrote:
debaser wrote:

Simples.

I meant at the WC.

On Welbeck, does anyone ever go on like he's amazing really? He's a young promising player but I think Sturridge offers a lot more despite being more greedy and often frustrating.

I wonder why you think that ? Rolling Eyes
Pierre Littbarski

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Pierre Littbarski wrote:

scratch

For most players you would point out that 2 of those goals came against San Marino and 2 came in friendlies. You love Welbeck. ok

All players get the chance to bump up their stats v San Marino and in friendlies but he saved us from embarrassment v San Marino.

He also single handedly rescued a point when we were down to ten v Ukraine because some twunt who has been useless in teh 3 games that matter had got himself sent off.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
Luis wrote:
debaser wrote:

Simples.

I meant at the WC.

I wonder why you think that ? Rolling Eyes

Because he scores more and has more attempts on goal and is quicker Rolling Eyes
The Chosen Glenn

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:11 pm

and he plays for Liverpool.

Welbeck is just the latest in these Man Utd youth prodigies who gets more opportunities than is proportionate and flatters to deceive before retiring at Sunderland. We were probably only 1 or 2 injuries away from seeing Oliver Gill on Tuesday.

Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 pm

Whilst the England Senior squad splutters, the u21's have racked up their 9th win in a row without conceding a goal after beating Portugal 1-0.

I'm of the feeling that the English national team is a complete write off until:

1) The FFP rules kick in more aggressively (IF they do)
2) The youth Premier League set up gains more attention
2) St George's Park starts delivering on it's objectives of more trained coaches in England and provision of a National 'identity'

I'd say I'll be willing to give it 10 years before I really start to care about the English team again. Currently, the whole set up in our country is to the detriment of the National team. We all know this. We can't complain that Danny Welbeck is the best we've got given the circumstances
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:

scratch

1 in 22 games for Man United this season.

And as Kimbo said, the opposition has not been great.

Carroll probably has a half decent goal every how ever many minutes too... For England.
Puro

Number of posts : 10676
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:07 am

FFS! I just watched the Montenegro-England game. Doesn't Gerrard know that perhaps after giving the ball away time after time after every fucking time with his patented 50 yard prayers, that the best way forward is to pass the ball to your nearest teammate and then Stevie me makes a run to the open space to receive the return pass??? lol! lol! lol!
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am

His form for England is wierd considering he's second top in the assist charts in the Premier League.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:52 pm

lol! Rio and his cronies acting like England fans are racist for not liking him anymore.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 am