Lusitan

Number of posts : 773
Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal; Corinthians
Favourite Player : Yazalde, Liedson
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Re: EURO 2012 Quarter Finals

Post by Lusitan on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi, guys.

Great semi-finals in perspective. Italy doesn't seem capable of winning against Germany but, hey, it's Italy, you never know Wink

As for us against Spain, they'll have to be at their very best because we're fired up!

About the English team I have this to say ( Wink ) :

Number of posts : 11028
Registration date : 2006-09-04

Post by  on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-0-0-italy-daily-mirror-930187

some amusing grades by the Mirror

Smile

worms.

Number of posts : 5010
Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(Espaa)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
Registration date : 2011-12-07

Post by worms. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Hart best GK in the world ? Laugh
bluenine

Number of posts : 22996
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 pm

The Easter Bunny wrote:
Pras_tama wrote:Bhutia is Chinese, isn't he?

Nah, he was the Indian fella who played for Bury. Widely regarded as our greatest player I do believe.

Baichung is Indian. India share a large border with China, and there are cultural & ethnic similarities between north-eastern Indians and the southern Chinese / tibet / nepal.

Baichung played for Bury, and scored a few for them too (17 goals in 37 games). Problem was that his physical stature is small, and he struggled to make an impact in the physical game here - I remember the bury coach then once said that Baichung is one of the most technically gifted players in the league, but usually sits on the bench as he is physically not imposing enough for a modern striker.

India's current top striker had the same issues, Chhetri played in MLS for a year, but his involvement was limited to cup games and friedlies - he is even shorter than Baichung at 5'7", and the Kansas City coach had similar comments as with Bhutia-Bury above. I think Chhetri is a better striker, sadly he was denied a VISA in UK after being selected to play for QPR (that FIFA top 70 rule).

Perhaps India will only become good in football when the Pubjabi's & the Jat's (from Haryana) take to the sport, rather than just focus on cricket, hockey, boxing, etc. These guys usually have the physical characteristics that would suit modern football. Think Yuvraj Singh. Razz

I hope to see India in a world cup in my lifetime, though the way things are going, it remains a distant dream.
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Whilst I don't want to p*ss on the Pirlo love-in as he is and has been an incredible player, it cannot be emphasised enough how poorly England dealt with his threat. He was given acres of space to play in his deep role. England couldn't have done more to allow him to play his natural game. For a man with Hodgson's tactical acumen, it was bizarrely naive and at no time reactive as the game wore on (It also very much appeared that England could not match Italy's fitness levels from about 50 minutes onwards, which was astonishing really given English teams of the past have usually been extremely fit and able to do the "facking ranning" rather well)

Note that against a very industrious Croatian side, whose forwards worked far harder than Rooney/Carroll (Welbeck did a far better job of falling back and tracking Pirlo in the first half), Pirlo was fairly anonymous in the second half.

Germany will not make the same mistake off the ball that England did. I would be absolutely astonished if Pirlo gets to play with so much time on the ball against a much fitter, tactically astute German side. I imagine Schweini or Khedria might be pushed well up the pitch to do a man marking job on him. Germany's double pivot has rarely remained static this tournament, so this extra bit of dynamism will not be unusual.

As far as I can see: stop Pirlo and you stop Italy. Sounds utterly simple, yet the correlation between the impact of his injury in the 2010 group stages followed by his fluctuating influence in the Spain and Croatia games (where it was as simple as when Pirlo was given more touches of the ball = Italy were threatening, less touches = not so) is too clear to ignore.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:29 pm

I want Pirlos babys wrote:Hart best GK in the world ? Laugh

I don't think you could blame Hart for anything yesterday. He is a brilliant young goalie, and I won't be surprised if he becomes the best in the world one day. He has time on his side.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Disco Benny wrote:Whilst I don't want to p*ss on the Pirlo love-in as he is and has been an incredible player, it cannot be emphasised enough how poorly England dealt with his threat. He was given acres of space to play in his deep role. England couldn't have done more to allow him to play his natural game. For a man with Hodgson's tactical acumen, it was bizarrely naive and at no time reactive as the game wore on (It also very much appeared that England could not match Italy's fitness levels from about 50 minutes onwards, which was astonishing really given English teams of the past have usually been extremely fit and able to do the "facking ranning" rather well)

Note that against a very industrious Croatian side, whose forwards worked far harder than Rooney/Carroll (Welbeck did a far better job of falling back and tracking Pirlo in the first half), Pirlo was fairly anonymous in the second half.

Germany will not make the same mistake off the ball that England did. I would be absolutely astonished if Pirlo gets to play with so much time on the ball against a much fitter, tactically astute German side. I imagine Schweini or Khedria might be pushed well up the pitch to do a man marking job on him. Germany's double pivot has rarely remained static this tournament, so this extra bit of dynamism will not be unusual.

As far as I can see: stop Pirlo and you stop Italy. Sounds utterly simple, yet the correlation between the impact of his injury in the 2010 group stages followed by his fluctuating influence in the Spain and Croatia games (where it was as simple as when Pirlo was given more touches of the ball = Italy were threatening, less touches = not so) is too clear to ignore.

His tactical acumen Shocked

England played in exactly the same manner throughout the entire tournament. Hodgson must be one of the lease adaptable managers to ever be involved in the game.

Sit back and pray Roy, sit back and pray
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Disco Benny wrote:Whilst I don't want to p*ss on the Pirlo love-in as he is and has been an incredible player, it cannot be emphasised enough how poorly England dealt with his threat. He was given acres of space to play in his deep role. England couldn't have done more to allow him to play his natural game. For a man with Hodgson's tactical acumen, it was bizarrely naive and at no time reactive as the game wore on (It also very much appeared that England could not match Italy's fitness levels from about 50 minutes onwards, which was astonishing really given English teams of the past have usually been extremely fit and able to do the "facking ranning" rather well)

True that. Italy have only 1 creative outlet at the moment, and if you don't give Pirlo space, you stop Italy. Other players who could create goals - Maggio with his runs, Cassano with his through balls - are woefully out of form/fitness. Maybe against Germany, Prandelli should seriously consider playing Diamanti or Giovinco as a trequartista, or Borini in the wings. Italy need to do some things differently. For Germany will keep a close eye on Pirlo, via Ozil or Schweini.

worms.

Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(Espaa)!
Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23

Post by worms. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:36 pm

bluenine wrote:

I don't think you could blame Hart for anything yesterday. He is a brilliant young goalie, and I won't be surprised if he becomes the best in the world one day. He has time on his side.

lol! lol! lol! lol! Not while Neaurs around he won't be.

Hart is a dodgy keeper,he always parrys shots out in front of his goal and he is shit at passing.hart isnt even in the top 10.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:38 pm

wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-0-0-italy-daily-mirror-930187

some amusing grades by the Mirror

Smile

Balotelli 9, Pirlo 8. What game were they watching?
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:39 pm

I want Pirlos babys wrote:
bluenine wrote:

Hart is a dodgy keeper,he always parrys shots out in front of his goal and he is shit at passing.hart isnt even in the top 10.
Buffon is the best goalie I have seen in my lifetime, and he parries shots out in front of his goal at times. Nobody's perfect.

Hart would make my top 10 for sure. Infact, I would prefer him to Cesar at Inter, coz he has time on his side and will improve further.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Fade out wrote:India never had a player like Dhorasoo yet*, Mauritius Ale

*-Though hearing good things about Narsingh.

Narsingh is of Telegu origin, just like Dhorasoo Razz

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:49 pm

bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:

Buffon is the best goalie I have seen in my lifetime, and he parries shots out in front of his goal at times. Nobody's perfect.

Hart would make my top 10 for sure. Infact, I would prefer him to Cesar at Inter, coz he has time on his side and will improve further.

That's not saying much,one season wonder.
Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:49 pm

COTR wrote:

England played in exactly the same manner throughout the entire tournament. Hodgson must be one of the lease adaptable managers to ever be involved in the game.

Of course, the Liverpool-based agendas continue.

His pragmatism is dividing, perhaps dated even. But he is clearly intelligent and astute, whether he chooses to act upon his observations or not. In this case, it is puzzling that a man so defensively pragmatic chose not to do something about Pirlo's time and space on the ball.

Equally puzzling/worrying was how poor England's offside trap was. But then again, that is the problem with playing Glenn Johnson across the backline.

And for the record, Cahill's injury / Rio's exclusion has only exposed what a terrible footballer Lescott is on the ball. Distribution is absolutely shocking.

Conversely, I feel John Terry has been brilliant this tournament. No, nothing to do with the media painting him out as a lionheart, the opposite infact: he has quietly gone about being a really top class CB throughout the summer. With an offside trap that actually worked, he'd have had to make less body blocks, but easily the most impressive English defender this tournament, and for me, one of the best in the whole competition.

Last edited by Disco Benny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 pm

bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:

Just humour me, which season was that?
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Disco Benny wrote:

His pragmatism is dividing, perhaps dated even. But he is clearly intelligent and astute, whether he chooses to act upon his observations or not. In this case, it is puzzling that a man so defensively pragmatic chose not to do something about Pirlo's time and space on the ball.Equally puzzling/worrying was how poor England's offside trap was. But then again, that is the problem with playing Glenn Johnson across the backline.

And for the record, Cahill's injury / Rio's exclusion has only exposed what a terrible footballer Lescott is on the ball. Distribution is absolutely shocking.

Puzzling to you maybe, not to me. I had six months of painful viewing of exactly the same thing.

It was a weak appointment by the F.A. and you saw the results on the pitch in surely one of the most pathetic defensive displays ever put on by an England team while Roy sat there silent with his head in his hands on the bench. This Italy aren't even that great !!

The man makes me angry and I'm not apologising for that Wink

Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Hart has potential, I think that's quite clear.

BUT, he's nowhere near as good as the English media paint him out to be yet.

Wojciech Szsesny syndrome. We're used to seeing so much shit in that position in the past that there is a collective jizzing in pants that we have a potential World Class Goalkeeper.

There is no doubt he looks more comfortable for Man City than England. He has been given too much kicking duties for a goalkeeper this tournament (usually to his Carroll long, which he has done very accurately) to show his distribution skills from the hand.

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Disco Benny wrote:
COTR wrote:

His pragmatism is dividing, perhaps dated even. But he is clearly intelligent and astute, whether he chooses to act upon his observations or not. In this case, it is puzzling that a man so defensively pragmatic chose not to do something about Pirlo's time and space on the ball.

Equally puzzling/worrying was how poor England's offside trap was. But then again, that is the problem with playing Glenn Johnson across the backline.

Conversely, I feel John Terry has been brilliant this tournament. No, nothing to do with the media painting him out as a lionheart, the opposite infact: he has quietly gone about being a really top class CB throughout the summer. With an offside trap that actually worked, he'd have had to make less body blocks, but easily the most impressive English defender this tournament, and for me, one of the best in the whole competition.

Wast that the same Terry who played Ballotelli 5 yards onside?

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 pm

bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:

09/10
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:04 pm

bluenine wrote:

Wht about Michael Chopra? Very Happy
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:10 pm

bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:

09/10

For someone who supports two Serie A teams, you don't watch much of the league, do you? You are talking like Alan Hansen does about Serie A - just because Inter did the treble that season, it must have been Cesar at his peak. It wasn't.

That 2009-10 was the first season where Cesar starting making the odd mistake that has since characterized his game - it wasn't a great goalkeeping season for him, far from his best. The three seasons before that was when Cesar was at his peak, almost faultless and perhaps the best in the world.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Disco Benny wrote:
COTR wrote:

Do you mean in the first half when Terry recovered to block?

You'll find that was Ashley Cole who played him onside Ale
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:15 pm

COTR wrote:
Disco Benny wrote:

His pragmatism is dividing, perhaps dated even. But he is clearly intelligent and astute, whether he chooses to act upon his observations or not. In this case, it is puzzling that a man so defensively pragmatic chose not to do something about Pirlo's time and space on the ball.Equally puzzling/worrying was how poor England's offside trap was. But then again, that is the problem with playing Glenn Johnson across the backline.

Puzzling to you maybe, not to me. I had six months of painful viewing of exactly the same thing.

It was a weak appointment by the F.A. and you saw the results on the pitch in surely one of the most pathetic defensive displays ever put on by an England team while Roy sat there silent with his head in his hands on the bench. This Italy aren't even that great !!

The man makes me angry and I'm not apologising for that Wink

He's only been in charge for a few games to be fair. His "tactics" worked alright for us overall, I think any other tactics would've seen us out in the groups and the fans would've been as disillusioned as ever. The way he got them to play did inspire some pride at least.

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm

bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:

09/10

For someone who supports two Serie A teams, you don't watch much of the league, do you? You are talking like Alan Hansen does about Serie A - just because Inter did the treble that season, it must have been Cesar at his peak. It wasn't.

That 2009-10 was the first season where Cesar starting making the odd mistake that has since characterized his game - it wasn't a great goalkeeping season for him, far from his best. The three seasons before that was when Cesar was at his peak, almost faultless and perhaps the best in the world.

I think I watch more Serie A than you,especially considering your opinion on Cesar.

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Disco Benny wrote:
Disco Benny wrote:
COTR wrote:

Do you mean in the first half when Terry recovered to block?

You'll find that was Ashley Cole who played him onside Ale

It was blatantly Terry playing him onside,when Pirlo played the long pass over the top,Terry was on the right side of the pitch 3 yards behind the rest of the defense.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Fade out wrote:
bluenine wrote:

Wht about Michael Chopra? Very Happy

Chopra is a North Indian name, and apparently he tried to play for India (even trained with the squad) but was not allowed to as India does not allow dual citizenship Doh
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm

bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:
bluenine wrote:

09/10

I think I watch more Serie A than you,especially considering your opinion on Cesar.

Very unlikely that you watch more Inter games than me, my friend, unless you are in the squad Razz
Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:20 pm

bluenine wrote:

Buffon always does this. So do all Italian keepers, and Buffon and Toldo were two of the ebst in the world. Buffon still is.

worms.

Post by worms. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Not like Hart does,Hart does it when he should catch it and the ball goes into a dangerous area.
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Buffon punched it straight out yesterday to Parker ffs. How was that not a dangerous area? Did you not watch the game?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 am