Sporting Clube de Portugal expands to India

Lusitan

Number of posts : 773
Supports : Sporting Clube de Portugal; Corinthians
Favourite Player : Yazalde, Liedson
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Sporting Clube de Portugal expands to India

Post by Lusitan on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Sporting just announced the establishment of a series of partnerships in the Indian market and has a first result India's captain Sunil Chhetri will play in Sporting's B team next year!! Shocked

It's a nice move from my club and apparently the largely publicised fact that 10 of the Portuguese team players were formed at the club helped a lot in establishing these partnerships. It's a huge market waiting to develop. What you guys think of this?
EMP

Number of posts : 7384
Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Re: Sporting Clube de Portugal expands to India

Post by EMP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:40 am

Lusitan wrote:Sporting just announced the establishment of a series of partnerships in the Indian market and has a first result India's captain Sunil Chhetri will play in Sporting's B team next year!! Shocked

It's a nice move from my club and apparently the largely publicised fact that 10 of the Portuguese team players were formed at the club helped a lot in establishing these partnerships. It's a huge market waiting to develop. What you guys think of this?

India is a very big potential market. Others have tried to break into it, but success will depend on how it is done. There is some talent there, but football is a 'poor-relation' sport in India, especially to cricket. It is quite annoying that rich Indians do not invest in Indian football. If you can partner with one of them, then there is good chance this can work well. Just don't expect great or even very good players fast. It will take time, but with patience it can be good for both you and them.

worms rises

Number of posts : 1215
Favourite Player : Cabaye (As good as Xavi)
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Post by worms rises on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:45 am

Lusitan wrote:Sporting just announced the establishment of a series of partnerships in the Indian market and has a first result India's captain Sunil Chhetri will play in Sporting's B team next year!! Shocked

A country that has a population of 1 billion can only produce a player that is good enough to play for Sportings B team.Hahaha.

Pathetic.
The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
Supports : Cambridge
Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:12 am

CFC wrote:

A country that has a population of 1 billion can only produce a player that is good enough to play for Sportings B team.Hahaha.

Pathetic.

Doh That's the point you moron, football as a sport has little influence over Indians, when I went there I did not see even 1 football pitch. Yet I saw everyday children playing cricket and even joined in with one group.

By actually establishing proper training and development methods with the correct infusion of money you will easily see a better standard of player, simples.

worms rises

Post by worms rises on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26 am

No need to get abusive now 'Easter Bunny'.A lot of Indians watch football so there is clearly significant interest in the sport,no matter what you say the fact that their best player is only good enough to play for a B team in the Portuguese league is hysterical.To put it into perspective India has almost twice the population of Europe.
EMP

Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:41 am

The Easter Bunny wrote:
CFC wrote:

Pathetic.

Doh That's the point you moron, football as a sport has little influence over Indians, when I went there I did not see even 1 football pitch. Yet I saw everyday children playing cricket and even joined in with one group.

By actually establishing proper training and development methods with the correct infusion of money you will easily see a better standard of player, simples.

They are trying to organise a league there, but a measure of how bad things were was that the greatest media interest at one top match was when Indian cricket legend Virender Sehwag turned up to watch.

This is going to take some time, but given that time and investment in facilities and top coaching (which is happening. An ex-Chelsea player who made history at that club, Paul Canoville, is part of this. Given the help it needs football will grow.

The faiure to develop a top British-Indian player over several decades is far worse. With the exception of Frank Soo in the 1930s (team-mate of Sir Stanley Matthews at Stoke City) the next best is Michael Chopra. No offence to him, but that is a truly dismal track record, even when cultural factors are taken into account. The lack of interest in the Asian community and previous disdain for them from football is breaking down with the current generation of youngsters. They should begin to break through now, but this should never have taken so long in a country with a firmly established Asian community.

110%

Number of posts : 8978
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:49 am

CFC wrote:
No need to get abusive now 'Easter Bunny'.A lot of Indians watch football so there is clearly significant interest in the sport,no matter what you say the fact that their best player is only good enough to play for a B team in the Portuguese league is hysterical.To put it into perspective India has almost twice the population of Europe.

Is that "putting it into perspective"? Narrowing it down to simply a question of population.

How many footballers does India have compared to Europe? How many leagues does it have? What is the standard of their leagues?

I can think of a lot of factors, but yes, let's put it into perspective, they have a 1 billion population so where is their zidane

EMP

Post by EMP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:52 am

CFC wrote:

CFC, in my opinion your analysis is a bit simplistic. Football in India cannot come close to competing with cricket and most likely never will. The interest in trying to develop football as a sport in India to a professional standard is comparatively recent. You cannot hope to produce top quality players overnight, and in Indian terms, this is overnight.

A population base of 1 billion is deceptive. How many of them play football at all? How many have access to the necessary facilities on and off the pitch? I suggest it is actually a pretty tiny minority. In that context it is far from pathetic. This is just the start and if football wants to protect its position as the top sport in the world, it has to break into this market and that means investing in what is needed in India, not ridiculing the fact that they are trying to start doing that. It is actually an achievement that Sunil is getting a chance in Europe at all. He can learn things and if he is not the one to break through, he can bring knowledge back that will be useful. Why not encourage and support a much needed initiative?

worms rises

Post by worms rises on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:54 am

110% wrote:
CFC wrote:

Is that "putting it into perspective"? Narrowing it down to simply a question of population.

How many footballers does India have compared to Europe? How many leagues does it have? What is the standard of their leagues?

I can think of a lot of factors, but yes, let's put it into perspective, they have a 1 billion population so where is their zidane

That's what I am trying to say mate,they should be doing much better.

worms rises

Post by worms rises on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:01 am

EMP wrote:
CFC wrote:

CFC, in my opinion your analysis is a bit simplistic. Football in India cannot come close to competing with cricket and most likely never will. The interest in trying to develop football as a sport in India to a professional standard is comparatively recent. You cannot hope to produce top quality players overnight, and in Indian terms, this is overnight.

A population base of 1 billion is deceptive. How many of them play football at all? How many have access to the necessary facilities on and off the pitch? I suggest it is actually a pretty tiny minority. In that context it is far from pathetic. This is just the start and if football wants to protect its position as the top sport in the world, it has to break into this market and that means investing in what is needed in India, not ridiculing the fact that they are trying to start doing that. It is actually an achievement that Sunil is getting a chance in Europe at all. He can learn things and if he is not the one to break through, he can bring knowledge back that will be useful. Why not encourage and support a much needed initiative?

I was just shocked that they don't have any players at all playing in Europe.I knew they didn't have many good players but I thought they would have a few scattered about playing in European or even South American teams.I still think more such a large country they should be slightly more successful and have a handful of decent players,there is many country's which closely resemble India's situation and they have progressed a lot more.I disagree with your point about needing facilities as well,in fact other 3rd world country's like Brazil in the past have produced many great players and teams,many of the Brazilian footballers from the past only had a football,some of them didn't even have shoes never mind football boots.

Lusitan

Post by Lusitan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:42 am

I don't consider population size an important factor and my country is proof of that. We've 1/6th of France's population, 1/4th of Spain's, 1/5th of England's and yet in the last two decades we managed to be one of the strongest teams in Europe.

I never could understand that, being England where football was invented, none of their former colonies developed into a major player at this sport. Even the USA who is now getting stronger is very much influenced by central/south american natives.

Sporting needs money and this is an investment for that. The club is a major world player in forming top footballers and i think it has what it takes to help Indian football develop. Paulo Futre had a similar plan, but for China, had his list won the last elections. I think this move can be better as China is already under other big clubs eyes (Real, Bara, ...).

Mind you, our B team is a strong one, where the best of our Academy players will evolve before getting into the main team. Sunil may be technically gifted but we know he's not physically strong and at 27yo he will have a lot of trouble to make it even to the B team. But I guess he's here also to learn, to see how we work and to use that knowledge in the future in some sort of academy SCP will open in India.

worms rises

Post by worms rises on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:45 am

I still can't believe India's best player isn't even good enough for Sporting B team. Razz
EMP

Post by EMP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:43 pm

CFC wrote:I still can't believe India's best player isn't even good enough for Sporting B team. Razz

It s not surprising at all. Football is not a major sport in India. Cricket is the 1, 2,3, 4 and 5 strongest sport in India. This means the same cultural phenomenon that plagued the development of football among British-Asians has prevented its development. Brazil is a crazy example in comparison to India; it is the national sport of Brazil; it's nowhere near that in India. Football has not been developed anywhere near enough in India. It will take ten years to develop players that can compete in Europe - at least that - and that is starting now.
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:50 pm

bluenine

Number of posts : 22997
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Chhetri is actually a good player, but of a very delicate built. Perhaps Portugal is a better place for him to develop, than the more physical leagues. It will be quite exciting to see how he does.

Though I am surprised that Sporting did not choose a player of Goan origin - that's the smallest state in India with a population of around a million (less than some Indian cities like Delhi or Bombay!), but they are football crazy there. The only state which actually has proper football infrastructure at ground level. They had 3 teams in the top 6 of the I-League last season, and 3 teams in the top 4 the season before. And yes, Goan clubs have won all 4 editions of the I-League so far. So much for worms population agenda Razz

Goans love Portugal (as a former colony), and their style is similar. Lusitan, you might find this club crest familiar:

That Sporting Clube de Goa. Surprised that your club does not have formal ties with them yet.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:28 pm

worms 5 wrote:I still can't believe India's best player isn't even good enough for Sporting B team. Razz

Why do you think he is not good enough... Didn't they just sign him? scratch

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:33 pm

worms 5 wrote:

Pathetic.
If I say that China is pathetic for having 1.4b people and not even producing a single decent cricket player, I am certain that the Chinese would think I am really, really, really stupid. hmmmm.... Idea

I personally think for Chhetri to make it to Sporting B team is a huge achievement. Hope he does well.
Lusitan

Post by Lusitan on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:48 pm

bluenine wrote:

Chhetri is actually a good player, but of a very delicate built. Perhaps Portugal is a better place for him to develop, than the more physical leagues. It will be quite exciting to see how he does.

Though I am surprised that Sporting did not choose a player of Goan origin - that's the smallest state in India with a population of around a million (less than some Indian cities like Delhi or Bombay!), but they are football crazy there. The only state which actually has proper football infrastructure at ground level. They had 3 teams in the top 6 of the I-League last season, and 3 teams in the top 4 the season before. And yes, Goan clubs have won all 4 editions of the I-League so far. So much for worms population agenda Razz

Goans love Portugal (as a former colony), and their style is similar. Lusitan, you might find this club crest familiar:

That Sporting Clube de Goa. Surprised that your club does not have formal ties with them yet.

Actually, this club, who was renamed Sporting Club de Goa in 1999, was known as Club Hotel Cidade de Goa. Its currently SCPs affiliate nr.114 Wink

The thing with Goa is that it is a small market and already won. The objective here is to establish a presence in the rest of India and i guess if Goan clubs could help it would already have been explored. By the way, those orange shirts of SCGoa must be reviewed, even if we may understand the problem the colour green may pose to some Wink

Sunil, with his speech, has already won the supporters, even if no one expects much of him. He showed the real "Sportinguista" attitude.
Don't go thinking our secondary league is less physical even if it isn't as physical as England. 95% of Brasilian players complain first about how more physical football is here compared to Brasil.

Lusitan

Post by Lusitan on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:50 pm

bluenine wrote:
worms 5 wrote:
Lusitan wrote:...important coment...

...some incoherent stuff...
If I say that China is pathetic for having 1.4b people and not even producing a single decent cricket player, I am certain that the Chinese would think I am really, really, really stupid. hmmmm.... Idea

I personally think for Chhetri to make it to Sporting B team is a huge achievement. Hope he does well.
<Ale>
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:50 pm

This is our Coolie Indian!

Let's hope he is more lethal then a chicken tindaloo is for my anus!

Still, Worms has a point!

If a nation can produce an Elephant Baba!

Why not even a slightly average footballer! I mean, India has what 1/5th of the entire world population?

worms rises

Post by worms rises on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:10 pm

lol! Isn't Indias record at the Olympics awful as well?

worms rises

Post by worms rises on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Of course population matters,if you have 1/6th of the world population and can't produce a good footballer then that's shit.And people in India do watch football,they mainly watch DPL.Maybe that's why they are shit at football. Smiley
The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
Supports : Cambridge
Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by The Easter Bunny on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:32 pm

worms 5 wrote: lol! Isn't Indias record at the Olympics awful as well?

GB has more than China, your point?

Look at Worms laughing at India's lack of apparent sporting prowess, i'm sure all the intellectuals who focussed on STEM education are so disappointed in their country.
Lusitan

Post by Lusitan on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:42 pm

worms 5 wrote:...And people in India do watch football,they mainly watch DPL.Maybe that's why they are shit at football. Smiley

Now that was lol!

worms rises

Post by worms rises on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:56 pm

China are obviously underachieving then if that's the case.

And I am not laughing at Indias lack of sporting prowess,I am laughing at people who pretend that population size doesn't have anything to do with a countrys sporting prowess.If you have 1/6th of the population on earth then you have a HUGE advantage.

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 am

worms 5 wrote:Of course population matters,if you have 1/6th of the world population and can't produce a good footballer then that's shit.And people in India do watch football,they mainly watch DPL.Maybe that's why they are shit at football. Smiley
I know you are only trolling as usual, and have absolutely no interest or appetite for an intellectual discussion on the matter, but for what its worth....

Yes, population size does matter, but only when you compare regions of similar socio-economic, cultural, and health aspects - factors which are far more important than size. For eg, in India, sports is not looked upon as a career option. Cricket is the first and so far only sport to start breaking that cultural barrier, and that too only in the last 15-20 years. Otherwise sports was culturally looked upon as a "loser's option" and a waste of time. An attitude which is understandable from the socio-economic point of view - when half the population cannot afford two meals a day, playing sports become a luxury you cannot afford. That is one of the key reasons for lack of sports excellence from that part of the world.

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:32 am

Lusitan wrote:
bluenine wrote:

Actually, this club, who was renamed Sporting Club de Goa in 1999, was known as Club Hotel Cidade de Goa. Its currently SCPs affiliate nr.114 Wink

The thing with Goa is that it is a small market and already won. The objective here is to establish a presence in the rest of India and i guess if Goan clubs could help it would already have been explored. By the way, those orange shirts of SCGoa must be reviewed, even if we may understand the problem the colour green may pose to some Wink

Sunil, with his speech, has already won the supporters, even if no one expects much of him. He showed the real "Sportinguista" attitude.
Don't go thinking our secondary league is less physical even if it isn't as physical as England. 95% of Brasilian players complain first about how more physical football is here compared to Brasil.

If its that physical, I am afraid he might struggle. Anyways, I will keep an eye out for him, do update every now and then...
EMP

Post by EMP on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:50 am

bluenine wrote:
worms 5 wrote:Of course population matters,if you have 1/6th of the world population and can't produce a good footballer then that's shit.And people in India do watch football,they mainly watch DPL.Maybe that's why they are shit at football. Smiley
I know you are only trolling as usual, and have absolutely no interest or appetite for an intellectual discussion on the matter, but for what its worth....

Yes, population size does matter, but only when you compare regions of similar socio-economic, cultural, and health aspects - factors which are far more important than size. For eg, in India, sports is not looked upon as a career option. Cricket is the first and so far only sport to start breaking that cultural barrier, and that too only in the last 15-20 years. Otherwise sports was culturally looked upon as a "loser's option" and a waste of time. An attitude which is understandable from the socio-economic point of view - when half the population cannot afford two meals a day, playing sports become a luxury you cannot afford. That is one of the key reasons for lack of sports excellence from that part of the world.

Bluey: What do you think of British-born Asians playing for India or Pakistan? Do you think India should court people like Chopra, so others can learn and perhaps see value of training, etc.?
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:54 pm

EMP wrote:
bluenine wrote:

Bluey: What do you think of British-born Asians playing for India or Pakistan? Do you think India should court people like Chopra, so others can learn and perhaps see value of training, etc.?

Its been tried and failed. Chopra even trained with the Indian team once, but as long as India does not permit dual citizenship, this will not happen. British born Indian's don't want to give away their British citizenship, and that's always going to be a hurdle.

Also, some of Nigerian/Ghanian/Brasilian players in the I-League tried to get Indian citizenship, but so far all were refused citizenship. But this bit I actually agree with, lets not "buy" a national team.

That said, I am hoping this new I-League (which also has a 2nd division) is a step forward. Indian football will start benefiting from it, even though it will be a very slow process. Hopefully one day in my lifetime I will see India play a world cup.

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Supports : Arsenal

Post by Sheffield gunner on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Lusitan wrote:I never could understand that, being England where football was invented, none of their former colonies developed into a major player at this sport. Even the USA who is now getting stronger is very much influenced by central/south american natives.

I'm guessing this is a class issue. I think cricket is (and more pertinently, was) much more a sport of the middle-classes in England, and so you see that spread where the empire spread (with (upper-)middle class administrators, officers, and those who could afford to play the game and gamble on it). Consequently the main cricketing nations are ex-colonies; Australia, South Africa, Indian sub-continent, West Indies, New Zealand. Possibly because of the prestige of the game it inhibited those countries gaining a strong formative culture of playing football. Equally it never really had the foundations to spread elsewhere in the world.

Football developed in much of the world through poorer, working class Brits who took the game with them when trading with other parts of the world. I have a vague recollection of Jonathan Wilson's book going into a lot of detail about this with South American football (especially Argentina).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 am