Paolo Guerrero

Puro

Number of posts : 10676
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Re: Paolo Guerrero

Post by Puro on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 am

What a through ball by Ronaldinho and cool finish by Jô. Whoop The stadium ROARED!

Wait wait wait, the c**t ref blew his whistle for offside. No offside whatsoever. The crowd reminds the ref about his mom. lol!

Puro

Number of posts : 10676
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:19 am

Awesome game so far! Jô has seen more passes his way in the first 15m of this match than his entire stay in the EPL. Laugh
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 am

PuroReturns wrote:Todo, I read that Guerrero made his debut yesterday in Corinthians' win and that he also scored a golazo today in training that had the entire team buzzing including Tite.

By the way, I'm watching the partidazo right now between Atlético Mineiro and Santos. Great atmosphere in the stadium, packed house. That stadium does not look like the Mineirão. The stadium I see is very modern, not even two years old and looks like Braga's Stadium in Portugal. Awesome looking stadium.

And, Ronaldinho looks great already. He hasn't lost much from his Barça years at his peak. Shocked It's no wonder Atlético Mineiro are leading the league.

Mineirão is closed for WC repairments, like many big Brazilians stadiums. The stadium you saw looks new because it was recently repaired, but I'm surprised you didn't recognize the field where a well-known historical, humiliating battle of world football happened: England 0-1 USA in 1950. Wink
EMP

Number of posts : 7384
Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:59 am

Mongrel Hawk wrote:
PuroReturns wrote:Todo, I read that Guerrero made his debut yesterday in Corinthians' win and that he also scored a golazo today in training that had the entire team buzzing including Tite.

By the way, I'm watching the partidazo right now between Atlético Mineiro and Santos. Great atmosphere in the stadium, packed house. That stadium does not look like the Mineirão. The stadium I see is very modern, not even two years old and looks like Braga's Stadium in Portugal. Awesome looking stadium.

And, Ronaldinho looks great already. He hasn't lost much from his Barça years at his peak. Shocked It's no wonder Atlético Mineiro are leading the league.

Mineirão is closed for WC repairments, like many big Brazilians stadiums. The stadium you saw looks new because it was recently repaired, but I'm surprised you didn't recognize the field where a well-known historical, humiliating battle of world football happened: England 0-1 USA in 1950. Wink

@ Todo: Are there any plans to commemorate that match during the 2014 World Cup? Do Brasilians know what subsequently happened to the scorer of that famous goal, Joseph Gaetjens? It is a very sad story that football should be ashamed of, especially the USA. He was denied US citizenship and was later murdered by the infamous Tonton Macoutes. The article below is a bit behind the facts on that as his son tracked down the killer and confronted him over it. It wasn't over political activity as suggested; it was greed. Macoutes knew that he owned a successful business that they wanted, so they kidnapped him and killed him for it and got away with it. Inducting him into the hall of fame posthumously hardly makes up for denying him citizenship after having played for that country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Gaetjens
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:

@ Todo: Are there any plans to commemorate that match during the 2014 World Cup? Do Brasilians know what subsequently happened to the scorer of that famous goal, Joseph Gaetjens? It is a very sad story that football should be ashamed of, especially the USA. He was denied US citizenship and was later murdered by the infamous Tonton Macoutes. The article below is a bit behind the facts on that as his son tracked down the killer and confronted him over it. It wasn't over political activity as suggested; it was greed. Macoutes knew that he owned a successful business that they wanted, so they kidnapped him and killed him for it and got away with it. Inducting him into the hall of fame posthumously hardly makes up for denying him citizenship after having played for that country.

I didn't know about this story. And no, there are no plans for it. 99% of Brazilians don't even know about that game. Most Brazilians just know that we lost to dark horses Uruguay in the final, and that's all. There will be lots of references about this game Brazil lost though.
EMP

Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Mongrel Hawk wrote:
EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:

I didn't know about this story. And no, there are no plans for it. 99% of Brazilians don't even know about that game. Most Brazilians just know that we lost to dark horses Uruguay in the final, and that's all. There will be lots of references about this game Brazil lost though.

Will there be any acknowledgement of Leonidas da Silva's contribution to Brasil during 2014? Very sad that he was robbed of his memories of a great career for the last 30 years of his life.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:14 pm

EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:
EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:

Will there be any acknowledgement of Leonidas da Silva's contribution to Brasil during 2014? Very sad that he was robbed of his memories of a great career for the last 30 years of his life.

Leônidas is quite well known in Brazil by football fans. But I don't think he still played in 1950.
EMP

Post by EMP on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Mongrel Hawk wrote:
EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:
EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:

Leônidas is quite well known in Brazil by football fans. But I don't think he still played in 1950.

I think you are right Todo. He didn't, but he is still one of the greats and not as well known outside Brazil as he should be.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:12 pm

EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:
EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:
EMP wrote:
Mongrel Hawk wrote:

I think you are right Todo. He didn't, but he is still one of the greats and not as well known outside Brazil as he should be.

True. There's a famous Brazilian chocolate named after him as a homege: Diamante Negro (Black Diamond, which was his nickname).

Have a look: https://www.google.com.br/search?hl=pt-BR&safe=off&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=NwQTUPxTid7RAenngIgJ&q=diamante%20negro&orq=diamante+negro+

And he's also famous in Brazil for being the inventor of the bike kick. I've just had a look on wikipedia though and it seems there's a controversy about it:

Attributions of invention have been given to people such as Brazilian Leônidas da Silva, Basque-Chilean Ramón Unzaga, Italian Carlo Parola, and the Afro-Peruvian people of Callao. The controversy is particularly great among the Peruvian and Chilean positions, both which consider their respective terms (chalaca and chilena) as the legitimate ways to name this move.[4] However, despite these claims, FIFA does not hold a registry of ownership.[5]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:59 pm