and just offered the juiciest pieces to you Englanders

the two SEMIS

and the FINAL

all to be played at

WEMBLEY

Shocked

IF this happens you effectively have HOME-advantage once more

think back to 1966 and 1996

will you have the PLAYERS to win anything in 8 years ?
Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
Registration date : 2007-03-17

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Hlebagone on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 pm

FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME.

The current crop do seem slightly more technically adept than those that preceeded them. But ultimately, no.

And as we haven't got the a semi-final since football last came home, the "home advantage" is slightly misleading.
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:48 am

If Platini's idea actually gets put into place, then I will force my genitals into a toaster.

It ain't happening. No chance.
Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm not even sure I will be alive to see it..
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:38 pm

They're destroying the competition already by increasing the number of teams. These fuckers have motives that have nothing to do with what's best for the game.
EMP

Number of posts : 7384
Supports : Valencia, and in Africa Al-Ahly
Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by EMP on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:22 am

Kimbo wrote:They're destroying the competition already by increasing the number of teams. These fuckers have motives that have nothing to do with what's best for the game.

Why does increasing it to 24 teams destroy it. THe worst teams will get weeded out and stronger teams that don't make it further generally don't deserve to. In recent Euros do you think there was any highway robbery - contentious decisions of course, but anything completely outrageous. I think Karagounis card was plain wrong, but I doubt even he would have caused the Germany result to be different.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 pm

24 teams = more likelihood of crap games, which dilutes tournament as a whole.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:45 pm

EMP wrote:
Kimbo wrote:They're destroying the competition already by increasing the number of teams. These fuckers have motives that have nothing to do with what's best for the game.

Why does increasing it to 24 teams destroy it. THe worst teams will get weeded out and stronger teams that don't make it further generally don't deserve to. In recent Euros do you think there was any highway robbery - contentious decisions of course, but anything completely outrageous. I think Karagounis card was plain wrong, but I doubt even he would have caused the Germany result to be different.

One of the best things about the euros is supposed to be that there are no weak teams, and to just get out of the group stage is difficult.
EMP

Favourite Player : The Legendary David Albelda, Mohammed Aboutreika, Charles Gyamfi, Baba Yara, Kalusha Bwalya, Godfrey Chitalu, Segun Odegbami,

Post by EMP on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:17 pm

debaser wrote:24 teams = more likelihood of crap games, which dilutes tournament as a whole.

Perhaps in short term, but disintegration of various countries has led to more nations, some of which require experience at top tournaments to develop. It will also mean that more good teams fail to qualify if it stays at 16. I think Platini may be right that 24 can happen without diluting quality but 32 is too much and 16 may be too few. If it turns out crap it can be reduced again later.
EMP

Post by EMP on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Kimbo wrote:
EMP wrote:

One of the best things about the euros is supposed to be that there are no weak teams, and to just get out of the group stage is difficult.

Depends how it is done. Getting out of group stage won't guarantee anything more than chance to progress - it will still be difficult, plus current structure does not take into account that Ukraine and Russia (plus others were once just one strong team). Now they are several. Former Czechoslovakia is two now and former Yugoslavia is six I think. Qualifying at 16 is far harder and if increasing to 24 dilutes why didn't raising from 8 to 16 do that?
Murray

Number of posts : 10210
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Murray on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Even with 24 teams, Scotland still won't qualify.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 am