Where are the Shieks and Russian Billionaires??

Jason Jarrett

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Where are the Shieks and Russian Billionaires??

Post by Jason Jarrett on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Why aren't there any russian billionaires or shieks buying clubs in Italy and Germany?Are the leagues that unappealing?Spain's TV deal and the gap between Real and Barca to everyone else makes foreign ownership there very unlikely,but what about Serie A and the Bundesliga?
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Where are the Shieks and Russian Billionaires??

Post by debaser on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Bundesliga clubs tend to be - correct me if I'm wrong, Germs - partly/significantly owned by fans. So they would most likely fend off any foreign buyer as they pride in the power the fans have & would not give that up to an oil baron.

Italian clubs I think have a lot of rules which make takeovers harder. Roma became first ever Italian club to have foreign ownership last year:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/serie-a/8455583/Serie-A-side-Roma-become-first-Italian-team-under-foreign-ownership-after-American-Thomas-DiBenedetto-buys-club.html

No doubt there's all kinds of financial reasons too. Variations in tax & so forth.

Jason Jarrett

Post by Jason Jarrett on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 pm

DI Benedetto is an old story and he's not exactly pumping in the money
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Jason Jarrett wrote:DI Benedetto is an old story and he's not exactly pumping in the money

Did I say he was? Was just pointing out how recent it was that an Italian club got its first foreign owner so clearly it ain't easy for foreign buyers to take over.

You seem to be posing the question from the perspective of why aren't these billionaires interested, but I suspect the problem is more that there are a lot of hurdles which prevent them from buying up clubs, not that they don't want to. (e.g. I'm certain clubs like Bayern, Milan, Juventus would've been of interest to the people who bought PSG - IF there was the possibility of buying them)
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!

Number of posts : 4759
Supports : Italia and Milan
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:54 pm

debaser wrote:
Jason Jarrett wrote:DI Benedetto is an old story and he's not exactly pumping in the money

Did I say he was? Was just pointing out how recent it was that an Italian club got its first foreign owner so clearly it ain't easy for foreign buyers to take over.

You seem to be posing the question from the perspective of why aren't these billionaires interested, but I suspect the problem is more that there are a lot of hurdles which prevent them from buying up clubs, not that they don't want to. (e.g. I'm certain clubs like Bayern, Milan, Juventus would've been of interest to the people who bought PSG - IF there was the possibility of buying them)

Agreed in part. I also think its structural issues like stadia ownership, and the possibility of a brand to grow--at least in Italy that is the case.

Jason Jarrett

Post by Jason Jarrett on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:01 pm

So why buy Notts County?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:52 am