Euro 2020

Sheffield gunner

Number of posts : 16403
Supports : Arsenal
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Euro 2020

Post by Sheffield gunner on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 pm

So, UEFA have confirmed that Euro 2020 will be hosted across Europe in a number of cities in various countries. Seems like a stupid decision to me, and virtually all of the responses I've seen so far are negative. What do people think about the idea?

No idea how it will actually work, and if teams will be jetting off all over the place, whether teams will be able to play 'home' matches, etc. Platini is claiming it's to reduce costs, but the more cynical perspective is that he's looking to hold it in the biggest, richest cities around and spare himself having to travel to provincial backwaters for a few group games! Guess it's an easy decision to make when you get flown everywhere in first class hospitality rather than travelling around between countries with thousands of other supporters.

Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Fey on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:53 pm

I quite like the idea. However, that french fuck made sure that France got their stadiums first and then comes with this plan. But like you said I think the biggest and richest cities will host it all the time now. Also, what about the home advantage, is England supposed to play in Berlin now, and Germany in London? Logistically it wouldnt make any sense.
Murray

Number of posts : 10201

Post by Murray on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:08 pm

The really big question is whether this board will still exist in 2020

Brian2468

Number of posts : 4873
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Brian2468 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Fuck the WC will it go the way of the Dodo bird. I hope England do not go for this and stay away from the tournament all together as we play crap footy no one would miss out on us playing.

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:07 pm

There are some pluses, as one country doesn't have to come up with 10 stadiums etc.

I don't really care that much about fans having to pay a lot for following their team for 2-3 weeks as I have never known or heard of anyone having tickets for all the group games, quarters, semis and finals of a tournament anyway. Especially with the lottery style ticket allocations. Most tend to go for a few days, see a couple of games or just go to the fanfests and then head home. I am sure there are those that hang around for the whole tournament and they would anyway be paying a lot of money to do that. Maybe this is inadvertently doing them a favour, by making it so expensive they realise it is a waste of money.

The main drawback I see is that you won't get quite the same atmosphere as when the event is hosted in one country and the whole country takes part.
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Euro 2020 and World Cup 2022 are going to be epicly shit.

Who the fuck is gonna pay to see Estonia vs Turkey in Lisbon!?
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:30 pm

110% wrote:There are some pluses, as one country doesn't have to come up with 10 stadiums etc.

I don't really care that much about fans having to pay a lot for following their team for 2-3 weeks as I have never known or heard of anyone having tickets for all the group games, quarters, semis and finals of a tournament anyway. Especially with the lottery style ticket allocations. Most tend to go for a few days, see a couple of games or just go to the fanfests and then head home. I am sure there are those that hang around for the whole tournament and they would anyway be paying a lot of money to do that. Maybe this is inadvertently doing them a favour, by making it so expensive they realise it is a waste of money.

The main drawback I see is that you won't get quite the same atmosphere as when the event is hosted in one country and the whole country takes part.

There are plenty of countries that could host it tomorrow. We don't have to go down the bullshit nation building route like FIFA do with the world cup.

Anyway, this sounds shit to me, but along with the even worse idea of expanding the competition I think the frog in charge is just trying to maximize profits. I heard it might just be a one-off, or an experiment to see if it works, hopefully it is a failure. <Ale>
Antarion

Number of posts : 3374
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Mller, Neuer and Schrrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Like it if its a one time thing.
Probably don't like it, if it stays this way forever.
Fey

Post by Fey on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:54 pm

How long is the tourney gonna last actually? Still a 3/4 weeks or what? This way, it would actually be better to turn it into a league and spread the games out over two years. No more useless friendlies this way.

110%

Post by 110% on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Kimbo wrote:
110% wrote:There are some pluses, as one country doesn't have to come up with 10 stadiums etc.

There are plenty of countries that could host it tomorrow. We don't have to go down the bullshit nation building route like FIFA do with the world cup.

Anyway, this sounds shit to me, but along with the even worse idea of expanding the competition I think the frog in charge is just trying to maximize profits. I heard it might just be a one-off, or an experiment to see if it works, hopefully it is a failure. <Ale>

Plenty? Name them.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 pm

110% wrote:
Kimbo wrote:

Plenty? Name them.

England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal.
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!

Number of posts : 4759
Supports : Italia and Milan
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Italy? Have you seen their stadia infrastructure? They could not host it tomorrow.
Fey

Post by Fey on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 pm

We can host it tomorrow.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:Italy? Have you seen their stadia infrastructure? They could not host it tomorrow.

Well no one can literally host it tomorrow, Italy have some large stadiums though, it wouldn't have to be a nation building job like with some of these tournaments.
Chris 23*

Number of posts : 3108
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Jamie Carragher, Danny Agger, Junior Hoilett, Javier Mascherano and Fernandez Suso
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Post by Chris 23* on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am

Another great master plan from Platini Rolling Eyes

Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:13 am

Given the importance the WC is to the game of football love or hate it once every four years the world gets to see all the best teams put on a special tourney. Platini is watering down the gravy to much to a point no one likes the flavour.

If your a fan and want to take in the hole atmosphere this ruins everything if you need to jump around to a bunch of host countries it becomes less interesting.

If they are not making money they should keep some of there biggest traveling fans happy and kept them Brits in the picture to this day I will never understand how Germany got to host their 2006 WC from that point this turned the tide its all about how well you suck. Holland should of held a WC before England and Germany could they not of been able to in the past.

To be a contender point to the sides that deserve to host using both fans and top entertaining teams of the past. Forget about sharing with lesser ranking countries if they want to become a power house in the future they know what to do improve.

Make the sport more meaningful to the folks that follow it.

110%

Post by 110% on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:13 am

Kimbo wrote:
110% wrote:
Kimbo wrote:

Plenty? Name them.

England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal.

Platini screwed Turkey out of hosting Euro2016, and Istanbul is one of the favourite to host the Summer Olympics in 2020, so Platini didn't like that either. The only other bids received apart from turkey was 2 joint bids for wales-ireland-scotland and azerbaijan-georgia. Are they good options (especially if you consider automatic qualification)?

None of the countries you mentioned even bid (France for obvious reasons)

The hosting requirements for 2016 were:
2 stadiums with 50,000 seats
3 stadiums with 40,000 seats
4 stadiums with 30,000 seats

Portugal for one don't satisfy that. Fey thinks Holland can host it, but on their own they don't satisfy the criteria either.

The stadiums are in a bad condition in Italy and need extensive rework. Apart from the time required, they don't have the money to rebuild. Serie A basically have not touched their stadium with a few exceptions since the 1990 World Cup. Spain might work, but again I suspect they need refurbishment and don't have the finances.

There are only really England, France and Germany as viable options for hosting tomorrow (and France is doing it anyway in 2016), which I don't think is plenty. And what would you suggest, that they alternate hosting it, unless everyone gets bored, because without having a tournament to host, most other countries won't ever have the finances to build/fix their stadiums.

110%

Post by 110% on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 am

Brian2468 wrote:Given the importance the WC is to the game of football love or hate it once every four years the world gets to see all the best teams put on a special tourney. Platini is watering down the gravy to much to a point no one likes the flavour.

If your a fan and want to take in the hole atmosphere this ruins everything if you need to jump around to a bunch of host countries it becomes less interesting.

If they are not making money they should keep some of there biggest traveling fans happy and kept them Brits in the picture to this day I will never understand how Germany got to host their 2006 WC from that point this turned the tide its all about how well you suck. Holland should of held a WC before England and Germany could they not of been able to in the past.

To be a contender point to the sides that deserve to host using both fans and top entertaining teams of the past. Forget about sharing with lesser ranking countries if they want to become a power house in the future they know what to do improve.

Brian this is about the Euros. Do you find yourself in this situation, e.g. not able to follow your team around etc?

Because your view like most people's views on behalf of the "average fan" is like the black lawyers giving their view on racism in football. If you have ever been to one of these tournaments you will find that flights, hotels, tickets etc are all in short supply and expensive. Most people cannot follow their team for 3 weeks anyway, so this has done nothing against that. It might make it easier for the rest of us to get tickets, so it is a plus from that point of view. I think it will spoil the atmosphere that a host nation can give it, but you won't notice that at an actual match, more what you find outside of the matches in the fanfests or whatever has been arranged for visitors to the country.

Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm

110% wrote:
Brian2468 wrote:Given the importance the WC is to the game of football love or hate it once every four years the world gets to see all the best teams put on a special tourney. Platini is watering down the gravy to much to a point no one likes the flavour.

Brian this is about the Euros. Do you find yourself in this situation, e.g. not able to follow your team around etc?

Because your view like most people's views on behalf of the "average fan" is like the black lawyers giving their view on racism in football. If you have ever been to one of these tournaments you will find that flights, hotels, tickets etc are all in short supply and expensive. Most people cannot follow their team for 3 weeks anyway, so this has done nothing against that. It might make it easier for the rest of us to get tickets, so it is a plus from that point of view. I think it will spoil the atmosphere that a host nation can give it, but you won't notice that at an actual match, more what you find outside of the matches in the fanfests or whatever has been arranged for visitors to the country.

My stupidity, should never of opened the tread before bed last night. The Euros is a different case meaning I do not hold it as important as the WC even-though the teams at present maybe the best and traveling is not as far. But none the less If it was up to me I would pick a country that can afford to host it and has the ability to move fans through easily.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:44 pm