Arsènal FC - 2014-2015

Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Arsènal FC - 2014-2015

Post by Jaime on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

The Pröfessör wrote:
shazlx wrote:
The Pröfessör wrote:
stinger wrote:
The Pröfessör wrote:
David Ornstein @bbcsport_david  ·  4h

Barcelona willing to let Fabregas leave for £30m & his preference is PL return. Arsenal have buy-back option but yet to express any interest

Some would say we don't need him but I don't care. Please Arsene, bring him home.
Isn't this buy-back thing a mistake? I am asking, cause soon after he moved to Camp Nou there were rumours that Arsenal either have percentage of next Fabregas transfer or just have a percentage of next Fabregas transfer if he would be going back to Arsenal.

I understand we have 1st refusal but that looks useless at this point as we are not going to excercise it (according to a very reliable BBC journo). Apparently we we are only in for a striker and replacements for Sagna and Fabianski  Doh 

There is real lack of ambition at the club, Wenger would do doubt point to injuries to our forwards last season, but even with a fully fit squad to choose from, our frontline sucks IMO. We  need a minimum of 2 top class players in that area.

Looks like we are going to sit by and allow Cesc join Chelsea - fucking fuming right now. This is worse than Van Judas joining ManU because unlike Van Judas, Cesc is desperate to play for us. I can't fucking understand all this 'we don't need him' bollocks. Winning trophies at the highest level is a squad game (look at the Bayern squad for example) and we have not got a good enough squad to turn down the chance of signing a player of Cesc's quality.

I fully expect us to sign the Remys of this world. No ambition.
http://neymarketing.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/requiem-for-a-dream-how-barcelonas-prodigal-son-became-their-most-damaging-signing-in-a-generation/

A long (and very good) article about Fabregas' ultimately failed move to to Barcelona - but towards the end some good reasoning why we made the right decision not to re-sign him.

Still, I would prefer Fabregas over Ozil but hey-ho.

Interesting but I don't buy the point that it was Cesc's inclusion that fucked them up defensively. A lot of their players deteriorated physically (Xavi, Alves, Puyol etc) and others became lazy (Messi), and as a result their impressive pressing game was no longer existent - that was when they became very easy to play against.  

Cesc joined at the end of a cycle, that's why things didn't workout for him IMO (He wasn't also judged fairly, many hate him for the way he left). It's impossible to be as dominant as Barca were for more than 3-4 seasons playing the sort of pressing game they did. It affected them physically, they are human beings, not machines. The great Milan team under Sacchi was also done after 3-4 seasons, they could no longer sustain that ridiculous pressing that Sacchi demanded.

I couldn't be bothered to read the whole piece but Pep was tinkering with 3-4-3 before Cesc even because in his mind that is the footballing nirvana. The other thing that messiah points (and rightly so I think) is that once Abidal starting going out of the XI because his health issues, that is really what upset the defensive balance in the team. That was already happening before Cesc. The real issue IMO was Barcelona were greedy. They were bringing back a full formed Cesc and they wanted him to wait on the bench. What they should have done was moved on from Xavi who was also, already in decline, and committed to Cesc. But even know Xavi is still hanging on....Xavi was great but Barcelona will never make it back until he goes. Sad but true. Everyone's day come. Unfortunate for Cesc but it was just the wrong timing.
The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by The Pröfessör on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Exactly, the wrong timing.

I feel for Cesc, our fans are going to boo him now even though he wanted to return to us  Doh
TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 pm

It would have been interesting if the writer had been able to delve into the political angle - who was Guardiola trying to ingratiate himself with by getting Cesc - the Barca board? Messi? (it's known Messi is hugely influential and was responsible for seeing off Ibra - no mean feat that - and maybe also Sanchez) - because that must have been a factor too.

Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:50 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:It would have been interesting if the writer had been able to delve into the political angle - who was Guardiola trying to ingratiate himself with by getting Cesc - the Barca board? Messi? (it's known Messi is hugely influential and was responsible for seeing off Ibra - no mean feat that - and maybe also Sanchez) - because that must have been a factor too.

No, the decision to sign Cesc was taken by Rosell. In a gesture of (as Blut would put it) dick waving....Laporta had tried earlier to bring him but never managed it so it was a priority for Rosell to try and one up him even if it was not necessarily what Pep wanted. In fact, some think that this incompatibility between him and Rosell over signings (and him realising that the team was headed downhill) is why Pep ended up leaving.
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Firstly messi had nothing to do with sanchez leaving, people just come up with random stuff

Cesc didn't work because he coudn't play as a central midfielder, and that's the most important quality of a barcelona midfield, Iniesta-Busquets and Obviously xavi, despite their position all have the ability to play that role.

Cesc doesn't, which is why even with spain, he only starts as a false 9. if you want to play a particular way, you can't go out and buy, the like of cesc and gerrard for example.

As i was saying a while back, what makes iniesta so good, is that though he is an attacking midfielder, he still has the ability to play equally as well, as a CM and dictate the pass of a game, which is why he rarely as a bad game and is so consist for those who understand the game. he is always involve even if he is not making a key pass.

Cesc on the other hand, if he isn't creating danger, its like we were playing with 10 men on the pitch, that's why cesc didn't work.

Not bad timing, he simply didn't fit the system.

when we started playing more direct last season, he has probably his best season at the club.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Speaking of Cesc he is really losing his hair all of a sudden.

TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Yes I saw that, he's what 26, 27? I guess we're stuck with this image of him as a 18 year old breaking through.

Messiah - Sanchez stuff I read somewhere on the net, it's obviously just hearsay. But it's more true about Ibra, no?
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:Yes I saw that, he's what 26, 27? I guess we're stuck with this image of him as a 18 year old breaking through.

Messiah - Sanchez stuff I read somewhere on the net, it's obviously just hearsay. But it's more true about Ibra, no?

Yeah its more true with Ibra, messi wanted to play in the middle and as such ibra had to go.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 am

shave the beard off and he'd look quite Iniesta
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:19 am

Wenger to rest German Arsenal players

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said three German players -- Mesut Ozil, Per Mertesacker and Lukas Podolski -- might not feature in the matches to start the Premier League season so they can recover from their World Cup-winning campaign.

[...]

"A guy who is coming off a high of winning the World Cup, you can not ask him three weeks later to fight for his life when you are going to Swansea or to Stoke, it takes some time to recover."

[...]

http://www.espnfc.com/arsenal/story/1959723/arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-says-mesut-ozilper-mertesacker-and-lukas-podolski-for-premier-league-start

lol!
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Podolski definitely needs a rest having been so integral to not only that final victory, but for Germanys campaign on the whole.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Poldi was the "mental coach", he kept everyone positive and focused. Even without playing (or probably because he didn't play...), he had a great impact on the spirit. He's like the guru.

3000 people waited at the Cologne airport for him alone when he came back from the celebrations in Berlin. He is the cult hero of cult heroes.

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:42 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Poldi was the "mental coach", he kept everyone positive and focused. Even without playing (or probably because he didn't play...), he had a great impact on the spirit. He's like the guru.

3000 people waited at the Cologne airport for him alone when he came back from the celebrations in Berlin. He is the cult hero of cult heroes.

Have you misspelt the word "cult" there?
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:45 pm

No. What is not to like about Poldi?

Poldi and his son after the final in the Maracana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJqX2D60cJI

cheers
Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm

I have a friend who works for Arsenal's media team
He told me all the senior players at the club are well mannered, polite and likeable, except for Podolski. Thick, rude and overly self important. Cant say what hes like in the dressing room with other players, however its no secret apparently that hes not very well liked by the people at Arsenal.

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:02 pm

I don't have a friend at Arsenal, but Podolski kind of comes across as a German Rooney with the foul mouth and bad attitude, minus the talent
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Foul mouth and rude? Now this is pretty weird to say at least. He probably knew that your friend is a Spurs spy, you can sense these kind of things.

Poldi is very well liked not just by the fans, but his colleagues as well. Besides, it didn't take him three World Cups to finally score a goal...
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:33 pm

No, my friend is a die hard gooner, so its not in his interest to bad mouth any of the Arsenal players. Unsurprisingly, he says Mertesacker is the complete opposite, very humble and generous with his time. Also says Szeszszszny is behind the scenes very different to his outward arrogant persona, very likeable. Which disappointed me massively.
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Podolski certainly comes across as if he could be quite annoying, but then so was Van Persie - and it was noticeable that he (vanP) didn't seem to have been much missed by his teammates when he left. There is always one in every team.
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Community Shield, 1 - 0 to the Arsenal. Cazorla.  cheers 
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Ramseygoals! 2-0 cheers cheers 
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Arsenal looking good. Is Hart out of favour again? This new keeper seems a bit shit.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Luis wrote:Arsenal looking good. Is Hart out of favour again? This new keeper seems a bit shit.

Well, he's not English so he must be awesome!

Arsenal is looking good. Debuchy looks right at home and Alexis seems settled as well.
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Giroud! 3 - 0. 25 yard screamer  cheers cheers cheers 
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Actually it was a lot closer than 25 yards, but Giroud struck it well having seen the City goalie off his line.
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:14 pm

FT 3 - 0. It's only the Community Shield and City were evidently not bothered but it's still good to win something. Having missed the Emirates Cup matches this was my first chance to see the new signings and they all look good - Chambers particularly impressive with his composure despite his age and inexperience. He should be an adequate stand-in for Mertesacker until he comes back though with Vermaelen gone, we should still get one more CB. Sanchez brings pace, wile and technique in equal measures. Debuchy does look like an upgrade on Sagna with better technique. Encouraging.
shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:25 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:FT 3 - 0. It's only the Community Shield and City were evidently not bothered but it's still good to win something. Having missed the Emirates Cup matches this was my first chance to see the new signings and they all look good - Chambers particularly impressive with his composure despite his age and inexperience. He should be an adequate stand-in for Mertesacker until he comes back though with Vermaelen gone, we should still get one more CB. Sanchez brings pace, wile and technique in equal measures. Debuchy does look like an upgrade on Sagna with better technique. Encouraging.
Not defensively but could be better overall. Anyway, for whatever reason Wenger inexplicably thinks Arteta is better than Flamini so we deperatedly need that new DM who will start ahead of him. If we get that and a credible replacement for Vermaelen, I think we'll have a title winning defence and midfield. Of course, we still won't have a title winning strike force with Giroud, Sanogo and Poldoski but we should compete well.
TheCrazy58

Post by TheCrazy58 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:26 pm

AW confirms Arteta club captain, Mertesacker vice-captain.
shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:34 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:AW confirms Arteta club captain, Mertesacker vice-captain.
Well that's the end of the prospects of getting the new DM and making a real challenge for the title.

Sanchez should have signed for a club who actually wants to do the best the club is capable of.
Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:53 am

No, it isn't. Arteta is the obvious choice whether or not we make any more signings and whether or not he starts week in week out. He was already de facto captain last year with Vermaelen not playing, and it would be a needless snub to pass him over now.

Merte can wear the armband when he isn't on the pitch, I don't see the problem. As if the captaincy is that important anyway.

And besides, as an all-round footballer of course Arteta is superior to Flamini.

But of course, use this as another whiny stick to berate the club for lack of ambition in this of all summers. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:20 pm