La Liga 2013/14 Season Thread

Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: La Liga 2013/14 Season Thread

Post by Super Progress on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:30 pm

European top clubs have long threatened such a move which is why Uefa made concessions. I still have a hard time seeing it happen but I wouldn't be against it. As far as I know neither Barcelona nor Real Madrid are in any big trouble.

Imagine the TV deal for a Super League:drunken: 
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Exactly at every turn big teams espcially bayern treaten a super league, it going to happen in the next 5-10 years, the gap between the rich and poor is getting bigger everyday. And the money the bigs have to spend to compete is getting higher each, and tranditional sources of income hard going to grow at a fast enoug rate to keep commercial revenues growing. 

The tv money and sponsors team would be able to get would be ridiculous in a super, every team would be getting at a minimum what barca and real are getting for the tv money.

They will leave the likes of spurs for example to continue to play domestic football with the possibility of promotion to the sl.though some complicated playoff system. To keep the domestic leagues competitive and viable. 
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Problem is that it would kill Champions League as we know it.
messiah

Post by messiah on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah but financial the cl, is a failure really so the clubs wont mind.

The nfl gets 7 billion dollas per season come 2014.that's US $200m per team and fans celebrate when teams make 60m euros for getting to the final.

Keeping In mind as I said earlier Europe is a bigger economic block than the us, and the champions league is followed globally.

Though the networks can recoup their money a bit easier in the NFL due to advertising, but still the cl should be getting in much more money and the top teams know it.
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:56 am

Marko Marin is looking pretty good for Sevilla, isn't he? Scored two great goals yesterday, shone against Man United in the pre-season friendly. Considering his strengths, he really should have moved to La Liga in first place (or stayed in Germany for that matter), EPL simply was the wrong destination. Looks like he can reignite his career and hopefully realise his full potential, which is actually quite high.

blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Btw., stop creaming yourselves over a 'European Superleague' just because you wrecked your home league - it won't happen. For most of the 'elite' clubs, the home market is far too important. Such a step would alienate them from a substantial part of their fan base.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:50 pm

As Kas has pointed out the elite clubs know there is big money in this sort of league. This is why Uefa made a deal with those clubs a couple of years ago because Uefa knew they would get screwed big time and that it would be profitable for those clubs which is quite obvious. Nobody in the world much cares about most of the games played in in the big European leagues except for fans of the non-big clubs. A Super League on other hand would attract a lot more people. I don't have any doubt as to whether it will would be succesful. I'm interested in how the system could be set up.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:07 pm

The elite clubs know where the big money is indeed. Bayern and Man United make tons of money on merchandising, a substiantial part of it in their home market. Bayern make so much money on their advertising deals that they actually have an interest in their games being shown on free TV in Germany whenever possible.

Who do you think is going to attend their "Super League" matches every week? If you didn't notice, it's not the prawn sandwich brigade that creates the atmosphere in the stadium and buys season tickets for generations. How you expect the fans to travel around Europe every week? And what will the attraction of European encounters be if it's the routine instead of the exception?

The CL works, it generates money for the clubs and it's the by far most important club competition in world football. It has prestige, money keeps increasing and it continues to be 'special' mainly because you don't play the same teams week in and out.

A new 'Super League' would not have the same status, because status and prestige is earned, it grows naturally. Even if commercially successful, the down sides clearly outweigh the advantages. The 'elite clubs' weren't born as such, they gained their status by different means, they won fans for various reasons, the admiration and support grew organically. A Madridista cares about the derby against Atletico, a Barcelona fan about Espanyol, a Man United fan about Liverpool or a Bayern fan about 1860 München. It's called tradition, it has deep roots and it's here to stay.

Money isn't everything, you will get it one day. Hell, if it really was, both of your clubs would have ceased to exists decades ago, because they were (are) run like shit from the business perspective.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:52 pm

The best players clashing will ALWAYS be of high value. Like I said I don't think for a minute it wouldn't work. The only question I have is how to set it up and what sort of matches would be played against your domestic sides. The derbys are important no doubt and one could find a way to work that in. The details has to be hashed and I would love to see some proposals on how this could be set up.

I like the current system but I'm not against this sort of change if they find a way to make it work.
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Any about of money that clubs make domestically they can make internationally in such a league, besides I am certain those domestic sponsors would stay on because of the exposure they will gain, secondly only Bayern make bucket loads domestically apart from TV deals the barca, Madridand certainly man utd make more money for commercial activities internationally. And Bayern have talked recently about expanding their brand internationally, because as I said before revenues from the traditional beats can only grow so much after a while, I would say 500m in revenues and it starts slowing up 

As it relates to fans traveling, they simply won't at least not in the numbers they do now,again comparing it to the NFL are even Russia a big country fans don't travel.

But if we think the camp nou won't be filled every week and tickets won't be sold at a premium when Milan,Porto are who ever comes to town we are kidding yourself.

A few fans will be pissed but most will stay on think man utd after their take over as and teams will get more plastic fans in Asia and america than they know what to do with.

As for prestige it will come,  the top teams with the top  players playing against each other every weekend which club wouldn't want to win that.

Its going to happen, news corp is already looking at ways they can do it for example, but that won't work, basically  it would be like f1 teams traveling all over the work.

They're would be a game in new York and Qatar on the same day different clubs obviously.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:27 pm

UEFA (FiFA) could simply stop this by not allowing players who participate in this 'Super League' to represent their country in the WC or Euro, for example.

You're overstating the power of your clubs and underestimating the various fractions that have a say in this. Especially in Spain, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have strong ties to the political community and they won't like it one bit to see their 'crown jewels' abandon their home market.

If there ever is something like a 'European Superleague', it will be sanctioned by UEFA / FiFA and not work outside of it.

More realistic than a European Superleague are extended tours in Asia and America (as it's already happening in pre-season), as those are the new markets with strong growth rates. The European market is more or less saturated, someone has to pay for all those 'billions' you're dreaming of.
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:36 pm

I doubt Catalans will care of barca leave the Spanish league, barca will still be in Catalonia 

The uefa FIFA band thing works both ways, what if the players says OK I won't play in the world cup are clubs refuse to release their players, who would watch the euros are world cup, the most FIFA and eufa can hope for is the clubs bring them in on it.

But as I have been saying and your said as well, the different European markets are close to saturation for the very big clubs, the bvb can still grow rapidly Bayern much more difficult for them.

So they will soon need the Asia and american markets to buy for the hundreds of millions bring spent now or perhaps billions.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:37 pm

I don't think it is just the derbis either though. Obviously Real Madrid-Barcelona and Real Madrid-Atletico are the biggest. But Real Madrid-Athletic Bilbao, Real Madrid-Valencia, and Real Madrid-Deportivo, historically, are very big fixtures. There are others as well.

I think the Super League is difficult because like Blut says, UEFA/FIFA have a lot of power and I htink they would invent sanctions for participating players/clubs that would discourage it.

Last edited by Jaime on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:46 pm

I am not coming from a domestic football point of view but pure economics especially for clubs that are ran like businesses like man utd for example, the potential upside would be too much for them.

Who do we think have more power FIFA and uefa and an organizations that includes all the top teams in Europe.

Keeping in mind its the club that buys the wages and generate the money and interest in the sport.

Just asking
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:03 pm

I suppose but the potential has been there for years, why didn't they already make a Super League? The G14 or whatever it was were meeting pretty seriously for a while. But UEFA broke up the party.

I only mentioned the super league as an off handed remark and look what it turned into! Laughing
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:11 pm

They didn't because revenues for the top clubs were growing at a very good rate, things will start to level off soon and they will never another thing to give the a bump.

It may still be the cl but with a bit of reorganization, moving the game to Saturday is a good first step for example, a few more things and they should be getting the revenues the cl deserves. Teams should be making at least 60m for just making the group stages, the championship playoff winner gets more money than the cl winner for godness sake, just taking pure business that's a joke.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Uefa won't allow it/Uefa has all the power Biggrin 

There is jack shit Uefa can do if the clubs really wanted to do this. This is why Uefa had to placate the G14 or whatever some years ago. It wasn't the top clubs groveling to Uefa. They have the capital(=players). It is not like in America where the league has the power.
messiah

Post by messiah on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Andiano with his usual goalazo are two per season
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:51 am

You are guys are so shit without messi. lolz
messiah

Post by messiah on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:32 am

And you guys are shit with ronaldo
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:57 am

messiah wrote:And you guys are shit with ronaldo
That's why we're getting Bale!!!! Wink
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 am

Super Mourinho wrote:Uefa won't allow it/Uefa has all the power Biggrin 

There is jack shit Uefa can do if the clubs really wanted to do this. This is why Uefa had to placate the G14 or whatever some years ago. It wasn't the top clubs groveling to Uefa. They have the capital(=players). It is not like in America where the league has the power.
Ale

US Sport is run completely differently. UEFA & all the domestic FA's are nowhere near as powerful as the governing bodies of the US Sports (i.e. not as tight with club owners). TV deals, no relegation system, the drafts and trading players for players instead of money ensures this.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Diego López starts against Granada.... bounce
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Here is rest of the XI:

Diego López, Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Isco, Özil, Di María, Cristiano, Benzema.

Least progressive midfield of all time!!!!! Shocked
TM

Number of posts : 21218
Supports : PROGRESS!
Favourite Player : Luis Figo
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Jaime wrote:Diego López starts against Granada.... bounce
If Carlo agrees with José BiggrinWink

This new hair style is doing wonders for Benzema, he's scored again!
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Unbelievable this stupid haircut it is like good luck for Benzema. Biggrin
Cristiano

Number of posts : 2557
Supports : Real Madrid
Favourite Player : Zidane, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Ozil, David Silva, Guti, Hierro, Valeron, Pirlo,
Registration date : 2007-01-09

Post by Cristiano on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Granada should have had that penalty
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 pm

This is so ironic the most attack minded midfield in years and we get a progressive 0-1 Wink
TM

Number of posts : 21218
Supports : PROGRESS!
Favourite Player : Luis Figo
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Slightly worrying that the team has only managed three goals in two games considering the opponents.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 pm

TM wrote:Slightly worrying that the team has only managed three goals in two games considering the opponents.
To be fair there were a lot of good chances against Betis including a couple on the woodwork.

We always seem to struggle away to the andalusian teams.

Six points should suffice for you Progressives! Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:49 am