England v Scotland

Share
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: England v Scotland

Post by debaser on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:Can it be true that Walcott has only scored five times for England? So I've seen them all the three v Croatia, the one against Sweden and Wednesday night.
hmm yeah that's pretty poor. got a lot of credit in the bank for that hat-trick so that it's easy to forget he barely scored since.

Luis will be delighted to know Ashley Young has more (7 in 29 compared to Theo's 5 in 34)
avatar
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Age : 26
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Luis on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Walcott is far and away England's best wide player right now, can score, can track back and has a great work ethic. Players like Cleverley and Lambert are lauded by England fans but players like Walcott and Sturridge are criticised for being lazy for some reason. The likes of Spain and Germany will be delighted to see Lambert up against them (no disrespect; he's a decent striker but only flavour of the month like Holt and Kevin Davies before him). Walcott actually has all the ability and experience to cause any defence a worry if he keeps progressing.
avatar
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Kimbo on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Luis wrote:Walcott is far and away England's best wide player right now, can score, can track back and has a great work ethic. Players like Cleverley and Lambert are lauded by England fans but players like Walcott and Sturridge are criticised for being lazy for some reason. The likes of Spain and Germany will be delighted to see Lambert up against them (no disrespect; he's a decent striker but only flavour of the month like Holt and Kevin Davies before him). Walcott actually has all the ability and experience to cause any defence a worry if he keeps progressing.
Such snobbery towards Lambert, he's only played 20 minutes. He also wasn't lauded because people think he is a great player, it was because he earned his position in the squad(unlike some players) and seemed genuinely proud to play(unlike some players). Spain and Germany would be delighted to play us no matter who we put out.

I think some fans need to stop being so dismissive towards midtable players, is it really better to be filler in a top 6 team than to be an important player in a midtable team?
avatar
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Age : 26
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Luis on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Luis wrote:Walcott is far and away England's best wide player right now, can score, can track back and has a great work ethic. Players like Cleverley and Lambert are lauded by England fans but players like Walcott and Sturridge are criticised for being lazy for some reason. The likes of Spain and Germany will be delighted to see Lambert up against them (no disrespect; he's a decent striker but only flavour of the month like Holt and Kevin Davies before him). Walcott actually has all the ability and experience to cause any defence a worry if he keeps progressing.
Such snobbery towards Lambert, he's only played 20 minutes. He also wasn't lauded because people think he is a great player, it was because he earned his position in the squad(unlike some players) and seemed genuinely proud to play(unlike some players). Spain and Germany would be delighted to play us no matter who we put out.

I think some fans need to stop being so dismissive towards midtable players, is it really better to be filler in a top 6 team than to be an important player in a midtable team?
It's just the same old patronising bollocks from the media 'oh look a player from outside the big clubs has scored for England, he's going to be brilliant for us obviously now'. People wanted Holt to play for England, Kevin Davies and countless others. They're decent players and great for their clubs but to start for England? Sure, England aren't blessed with fantastic forwards but when we do have really good quality and often exciting players like Walcott and Sturridge they just have to be starting whenever they can.

If you think Walcott is a 'filler' at Arsenal then you clearly don't watch them. He baled them out of trouble quite a lot last season. Who is there main attacker? Giroud or Podolski? No chance.
avatar
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Kimbo on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Luis wrote:It's just the same old patronising bollocks from the media 'oh look a player from outside the big clubs has scored for England, he's going to be brilliant for us obviously now'. People wanted Holt to play for England, Kevin Davies and countless others. They're decent players and great for their clubs but to start for England? Sure, England aren't blessed with fantastic forwards but when we do have really good quality and often exciting players like Walcott and Sturridge they just have to be starting whenever they can.

If you think Walcott is a 'filler' at Arsenal then you clearly don't watch them. He baled them out of trouble quite a lot last season. Who is there main attacker? Giroud or Podolski? No chance.
I haven't seen anyone say Lambert should start for England, but if a striker scores a shitload of goals in the premier league they shouldn't be dismissed because they play for a lowly club. Lambert earned his shot and he scored a goal, you can't really ask any more than that.

I don't think Walcott is filler, I actually think Walcott and Sturridge should be given a chance upfront, or atleast one of them alongside Carroll. Welbeck and Rooney are basically workhorses these days, but their places seem nailed down.
avatar
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Age : 26
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Luis on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:09 pm

What has Carroll done to earn a place? Scored a few for West Ham who play a long ball game? Your weird crush in the Geordie legend is evident.
avatar
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Kimbo on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Luis wrote:What has Carroll done to earn a place? Scored a few for West Ham who play a long ball game? Your weird crush in the Geordie legend is evident.
Oh yes, we're supposed to be trying to get our donkeys to play like Spain. cheerslol!

Carroll was in very good form at the end of last season, he's certainly more of a goal threat than Welbeck. Also note how many of our goals come from set-pieces, in general play we are generally a limp dick.
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: England v Scotland

Post by debaser on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Luis wrote: Sure, England aren't blessed with fantastic forwards but when we do have really good quality and often exciting players like Walcott and Sturridge they just have to be starting whenever they can.
It's about getting a functioning attack, not just saying X,Y & Z are the most talented so we've got to fit them in somewhere. maybe Walcott, Rooney, Sturridge would be the most talented front 3 on paper - but would it work best? Perhaps it'd be better overall to have 2 of them playing off someone like Lambert? maybe we should go with outright pace and have Walcott & Agbonlahor left and right side of whichever central striker?

then obviously form & so forth come into it. Walcott has definitely become more consistent the last couple of seasons, whereas Sturridge has yet to really have a full season, so it's harder to know what you'll get from him. and which position they play for clubs also comes into it - I don't think it'd be sensible to have Welbeck as #9 if he's never playing there for Man Utd, for example.
avatar
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Age : 26
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Luis on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 pm

So your solution to improving our lack of technical players is to play a big lump up front to hinder any chance of a passing game? Welbeck is a clever player to have in the hole, he may not score a lot but he's a good option to have. Carroll has no place in the England team unless he vastly improved his all round game this season, scores a shed load and learns how to head.
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: England v Scotland

Post by debaser on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:34 pm

I suspect we'd be better off trying to pick a team best suited for counter-attacking than hope for a passing game that just isn't going to happen.
avatar
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Kimbo on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Luis wrote:So your solution to improving our lack of technical players is to play a big lump up front to hinder any chance of a passing game? Welbeck is a clever player to have in the hole, he may not score a lot but he's a good option to have. Carroll has no place in the England team unless he vastly improved his all round game this season, scores a shed load and learns how to head.
Carroll doesn't know how to head? scratch
avatar
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Age : 30
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: England v Scotland

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:23 pm

I've never known Walcott be criticised for being lazy.. I've known he be criticised for having a really dodgy touch and a lack of ability when it comes to beating a full back despite his pace.

Also funny that Luis wants us to play passing football and wants younger more able players to get given a chance but is already on the back of Cleverly.. Who is apparently an established international because he has 9 caps..
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: England v Scotland

Post by debaser on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:46 am

Sometimes reading this forum you get the impression that Liverpool fans don't rate Man Utd players.
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: England v Scotland

Post by debaser on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:32 am

If Agbonlahor can keep performing like today, I think he should get another opportunity for England. he did alright in the limited chances he had under Capello and he's become a more rounded player since becoming established as wide forward rather than central. been inconsistent with form & goalscoring over the years, but ended last season well & seems to be setting out well this time. certainly outshone Walcott today.

good to see Welbeck, Sturridge & Lambert all started season with goals too.

Sponsored content

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 pm