Diego Costa

Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Diego Costa

Post by Jaime on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:09 pm

I don't know how many are following the case. Diego Costa has been called the Brazilian national team on a couple but only for friendly matches which in theory still makes him eligible to play for someone else. Del Bosque wanted to call him for Spain and it sounded like the player was eligible but CBF delayed submitting some paperwork confirming he had not been called for an official match so Del Bosque could not include him in the most recent squad. Of course Brazil don't have an official match now until the World Cup so Scolari is saying that he is included in the 45 man pre WC roster.

I'm curious if the brazilian posters here can say what his reputation is in Brazil. He's obviously had a great start with Atletico but before this year he has never scored more than 10 goals in a season. But I don't think this is the strongest crop of brazilian forwards of all time so I'm kind of surprised he hasn't been more involved in the national team.

I think he is a good player, he does work his ass off for the team, but not like spectacular. I don't think he is better than Villa (if he is ever healthy again), Negredo, Llorente (if he ever plays again), or even Michu really.

Catanha said that if he scored the winning goal for Spain in the World Cup he would never be welcome back in Brazil. Busquets (and others) have said he would be welcome to play for Spain (what would Worms think!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

Does this even matter?
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: Diego Costa

Post by Fey on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:13 pm

You know how many Diego Costa's are one Bale? I think he is a great striker, but he is Brazilian thus should play for Brazil....otherwise the next WC's are all about who has the best Brazilians.
Murray

Number of posts : 10201

Post by Murray on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Spain also don't have any more official matches until the WC after today, so this could drag on for months.
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Brazil have apparently sent a letter to FIFA saying Diego Costa will be called for the friendlies against Chile and Honduras next month. Scolari says if the WC was tomorrow, Diego Costa would go.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:26 pm

FIFA rules dictate in order to make the switch, he would have had to have been eligible for the Spanish National Team before he was capped for Brazil. I'm not sure that was the case.

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Diego Costa is still little known in Brazil.

He is not spectacular, but then who is? We don't have Ronaldo, Romário or Careca anymore and Diego Costa is having a much better season than Fred, Pato or Jô. He never scored more than 10 goals in a season before, but he didn't play as a true striker when Falcao was his teammate.

IMO Diego Costa should have the final word, but it's funny to see how incoherent FIFA rules are. Friendlies don't count for making a player ineligible to play for someone else, but they count to decide who will be seeded in the World Cup.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Today Diego Costa was called up for Brazil's November fixtures. Diego Costa is likely to refuse to play for Brazil. This will get interesting...
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:45 pm

He'd be wiser to go with Brazil seeing as Spain don't like playing strikers too much.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Supposedly Diego Costa has renounced Brazil. I agree with Sheva though - on one hand a friendly match isn't enough to bind a player to a particular country but it is enough to count in official rankings. Costa is saying that "Spain has given him everything" but if that's the case why did he go with Brazil for the two previous friendlies that he played with Brazil? Luis is right though, haha, because probably Cesc will end up playing more than him even if he does go with Spain. Laughing
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians

Post by mongrel hawk on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Brazilian FA president said he'll still try to convince him, but Parreira (Scolari assistant) said that after the decision his chances of playing for Brazil in the next WC are nil: he won't be called again while Scolari/Parreira are in charge, even if he changes his decision.

If he comes to Brazil to play for Spain, he'll be booed from beginning to end and Spain will certainly be booed in every game.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:13 pm

With or without Diego Costa Spain will be booed in the World Cup like they were booed in the Confed Cup. They are seen as a major threat to Brazil. Now the crowd will be even more hostile.

The fact that Scolari is acting like a hypocritical c**t just proves that Diego Costa took the right decision.

blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:26 am

Great. After Spain won everything there is to win in the last few years one could think that motivation may not be highest next year, but there comes this dispute over a player and the hostility it is going to cause and there you have the perfect ingredients for a siege mentality. I bet an experienced coach like Del Bosque will milk this for all it's worth.

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:With or without Diego Costa Spain will be booed in the World Cup like they were booed in the Confed Cup. They are seen as a major threat to Brazil. Now the crowd will be even more hostile.
Great idea of being a good host and fair play there. ok Although I suspect that for us at least, a hostile environment could be beneficial.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Sheva,

It doesn't matter if Scolari is a c**t. Diego Costa is Brazilian. Period.  

Blut,

Scolari will also use this episode to boost Brazilian players pride, that's typical of him.

Regarding the booing, that's part of Brazilian sports culture (Brazilians even boo their own team when they feel like it). Every team that is seen as a threat will be booed. And if Brazil don't play well, they will also be booed.

There's no "you'll never walk alone" crap in Brazil. Brazil are supposed to win a WC at home. If they don't, they will walk alone forever.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Hah....kinda funny and admirable in a weird way. Booing or cheering, the very least I hope to have is some genuine atmosphere in a country with a strong football tradition instead of Vuvuzelas killing every nerve in my body while watching a match. Ale

And again, I wouldn't mind a hostile atmosphere. I think it would be beneficial.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:58 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Hah....kinda funny and admirable in a weird way. Booing or cheering, the very least I hope to have is some genuine atmosphere in a country with a strong football tradition instead of Vuvuzelas killing every nerve in my body while watching a match. Ale

And again, I wouldn't mind a hostile atmosphere. I think it would be beneficial.
Ale AleAle
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:04 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Hah....kinda funny and admirable in a weird way. Booing or cheering, the very least I hope to have is some genuine atmosphere in a country with a strong football tradition instead of Vuvuzelas killing every nerve in my body while watching a match. Ale

I don't think there'll be a hostile atmosphere regarding Germany.

The thing with Spain goes beyond football: there had been a series of news regarding Brazilian tourists being unfairly barred in Spanish airports without reason before the Confed Cup, which created a diplomatic crises between the 2 countries. Add to that the typical Spanish prejudice against Brazilians and South Americans in general. And now we have the Diego Costa case. Spain and Argentina will certainly be the villains in the eyes of Brazilians.

Brazilians may cheer for a weaker team against Germany, but that's all. Brazilians usually sympathise with the German team.

There are millions of Italian descendants in Brazil, so Italy may feel at home.

I'm curious to know the reaction of the public during the USA national anthem. I don't know how they will react, but I won't be surprised if they boo their anthem every time they play.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Costa must be fully aware of the hostility this move will cause back in Brazil, so it'll take some balls to go there with Spain and know that he'll be booed all the time. Imagine him scoring the decisive goal vs. Brazil? He basically would never be able to go back there.

Too much fuss about a player though. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't play much for either team in the WC next year.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Costa must be fully aware of the hostility this move will cause back in Brazil, so it'll take some balls to go there with Spain and know that he'll be booed all the time. Imagine him scoring the decisive goal vs. Brazil? He basically would never be able to go back there.

Too much fuss about a player though. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't play much for either team in the WC next year.
I don't think he's aware. He's not realized yet the weight of his decision. Brazilian FA now said they'll try to convince the government to cancel his Brazilian citizenship.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:42 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Costa must be fully aware of the hostility this move will cause back in Brazil, so it'll take some balls to go there with Spain and know that he'll be booed all the time. Imagine him scoring the decisive goal vs. Brazil? He basically would never be able to go back there.

I would not even be shocked if he didn't make the final Spain team at all. He is very en vogue right now because he's got off to such a great start. But Del Bosque is very loyal and if Torres and Villa are showing any signs of life they will almost certainly go. So that leaves one more striker maybe? Negredo has been with the team throughout qualifying and scoring important goals. Del Bosque isn't going to just toss him aside.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Costa explains Spain selection

The 25-year-old says his adopted country have given him everything in his career, while revealing his choice was a tough one to make
http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2013/10/30/4370883/costa-explains-spain-selection?ICID=HP_BN_4

CBF demand Diego Costa loses Brazilian citizenship

The 25-year-old has caused controversy by opting to play for Spain rather than the country of his birth
http://www.goal.com/en/news/584/brazil/2013/10/30/4370891/cbf-demand-diego-costa-loses-brazilian-citizenship

Didn't know that he is just 25 years old. A bit harsh and over the top by the CBF to demand him to lose his citizenship though. Latin passion... Biggrin
Puro

Number of posts : 10676
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Tough, very tough decision for Diego Costa.

Jaime, you being a fellow with several countries to choose from, who do you select?

Fuck! I find it real tough just choosing between the USA and Perú if both teams were in a WC and calling my name.
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:35 pm

No danger of that.
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

The thing with Spain goes beyond football: there had been a series of news regarding Brazilian tourists being unfairly barred in Spanish airports without reason before the Confed Cup, which created a diplomatic crises between the 2 countries. Add to that the typical Spanish prejudice against Brazilians and South Americans in general. And now we have the Diego Costa case. Spain and Argentina will certainly be the villains in the eyes of Brazilians.

Brazilians may cheer for a weaker team against Germany, but that's all. Brazilians usually sympathise with the German team.

I'm curious to know the reaction of the public during the USA national anthem. I don't know how they will react, but I won't be surprised if they boo their anthem every time they play.  
Todo,

Will Brazil boo Holland you think?
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Fey wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:

Todo,

Will Brazil boo Holland you think?
No. Brazilians usually like Holland. No reason to do that, just like with Germany, England, Italy... I think the only teams that will begin the WC as villains are Argentina, Spain and maybe Uruguay and USA (for political reasons: USA wars and the fact that we were also spied by them).

But remember that Brazilians usually cheer for the weaker team, and in Brazil cheering for a team means booing their oponnent. If Holland play Japan, Brazilians will choose Japan and boo Holland as a way to encourage the Japs.

Booing is part of Brazilian football culture. Brazilians boo so much that it doesn't mean much. And I'm sure the biggest boo in the WC will happen if Brazil get kicked out playing badly. The team that received more boos in the history of world football was certainly Brazil by their own supporters.

Before the 1970 WC, Brazil played their last pre-WC game in Brazil in Maracanã, a friendly against Paraguay. I'm not sure, but I think Brazil won 1-0, playing badly. The more than 100,000 supporters booed the team like hell. That was their way of saying good-bye to Pelé, Tostão, Rivelino, Gerson, Carlos Alberto Torres... before they won that WC.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:Sheva,

Fifa rules that allow a player that played friendly matches eligible to play for someone else are absurd, but if someone fulfill the requirements to get a foreign passport, I don't see any problem if he chooses to play for them. Diego Costa never played professionally in Brazil, so who am I to say how he should feel about his nationality.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:57 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:
Costa explains Spain selection

The 25-year-old says his adopted country have given him everything in his career, while revealing his choice was a tough one to make
http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2013/10/30/4370883/costa-explains-spain-selection?ICID=HP_BN_4

CBF demand Diego Costa loses Brazilian citizenship

The 25-year-old has caused controversy by opting to play for Spain rather than the country of his birth
http://www.goal.com/en/news/584/brazil/2013/10/30/4370891/cbf-demand-diego-costa-loses-brazilian-citizenship

Didn't know that he is just 25 years old. A bit harsh and over the top by the CBF to demand him to lose his citizenship though. Latin passion... Biggrin
This is bullshit. The brazilian constitution forbids that:

"Paragraph 4.
Loss of nationality shall be declared for a Brazilian who:
II – acquires another nationality, save in the cases:
a) of recognition of the original nationality by the foreign law"

Brazilian FA members are so fucking stupid it's unbelievable.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:00 am

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:Sheva,

Fifa rules that allow a player that played friendly matches eligible to play for someone else are absurd, but if someone fulfill the requirements to get a foreign passport, I don't see any problem if he chooses to play for them. Diego Costa never played professionally in Brazil, so who am I to say how he should feel about his nationality.

I'm not saying it's ilegal. If FIFA allows it, it's legal. And yeh, I agree, he can choose the country he wants, but as a Brazilian football fan I have the right to think it's not nice. Wasn't he a kid in Brazil? Didn't he cheer for Brazil with his family and friends in past WCs? Didn't he celebrate when Brazil won the WC in 2002 and he was in his teens? How can he turn his back to that?
Puro

Post by Puro on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:00 am

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
This is bullshit. The brazilian constitution forbids that:

"Paragraph 4.
Loss of nationality shall be declared for a Brazilian who:
II – acquires another nationality, save in the cases:
a) of recognition of the original nationality by the foreign law"

Brazilian FA members are so fucking stupid it's unbelievable.
They are hypocrites as fuck! They are two-face, three-face c**ts like some people I know!Biggrin <Ale> 

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 am

Puro wrote:Tough, very tough decision for Diego Costa.

Jaime, you being a fellow with several countries to choose from, who do you select?

Fuck! I find it real tough just choosing between the USA and Perú if both teams were in a WC and calling my name.
Puro, we all know that your biggest dream is to get an english passport and play for the Three Lions. Laughing 
Puro

Post by Puro on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:07 am

mongrel hawk wrote:No. Brazilians usually like Holland. No reason to do that, just like with Germany, England, Italy... I think the only teams that will begin the WC as villains are Argentina, Spain and maybe Uruguay and USA (for political reasons: USA wars and the fact that we were also spied by them).

But remember that Brazilians usually cheer for the weaker team, and in Brazil cheering for a team means booing their oponnent. If Holland play Japan, Brazilians will choose Japan and boo Holland as a way to encourage the Japs.

Booing is part of Brazilian football culture. Brazilians boo so much that it doesn't mean much. And I'm sure the biggest boo in the WC will happen if Brazil get kicked out playing badly. The team that received more boos in the history of world football was certainly Brazil by their own supporters.

Before the 1970 WC, Brazil played their last pre-WC game in Brazil in Maracanã, a friendly against Paraguay. I'm not sure, but I think Brazil won 1-0, playing badly. The more than 100,000 supporters booed the team like hell. That was their way of saying good-bye to Pelé, Tostão, Rivelino, Gerson, Carlos Alberto Torres... before they won that WC.
Translation: Brazilians like many South Americans were brainwashed by the European propaganda of the "Total Football".

Little did the South American "average Joe" know that the Dutchies were stiff through amphetamines and whatever the hell else they were shooting up to gain an edge during those times.

Again Todo, don't believe a fucking word I say! Do your own fucking research! Biggrin <Ale> 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 pm