WC seeds

mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

WC seeds

Post by mongrel hawk on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:13 pm

According to a Brazilian paper: Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay (if they qualify), Spain, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland.

Holland, Italy, France and England are second pots.

We could have a couple of groups of death, eh?
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Re: WC seeds

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Two good teams don't make a group of death. Three or four good teams is where it gets interesting.

P.S.: France haven't qualified yet.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:33 pm

how the hell did Switzerland get above teams like Netherlands and Italy scratch Italy were in Euro 2012 final and Swiss didn't even qualify!

or are the seeds done solely from the 2014 qualifiers?
Antarion

Number of posts : 3371
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 pm

According to my information its because Netherlands lost many points with their three losses in EC 2012 group stage whereas swiss won points from friendlies...

Edit: And newer games count more than older...yadda yadda. Still dumb overall.
If Uruguay don't qualify, then Holland will be seeded, because Italy failed to beat Armenia.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:51 pm

The seeding is supposedly based on the upcoming FiFA rankings only (and nothing else), hence those teams mentioned. Switzerland had a pretty good qualification and they beat a number of big teams in the last few years (e.g. Spain in the Euros or Germany and Brazil in a friendly), that's why they climbed up the rankings.

This would be my top seeds:

Spain
Germany
Brazil
Argentina
Italy
Holland
Belgium
One of Uruguay / France / England
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 pm

debaser wrote:how the hell did Switzerland get above teams like Netherlands and Italy scratch Italy were in Euro 2012 final and Swiss didn't even qualify!

or are the seeds done solely from the 2014 qualifiers?
Doubt it, Holland got the most points I believe, and scored the most goals..

But for some reason cause rabbit scored after a dive against Argentina, Holland are now in pot2.

Not that it matters a lot. There will be 8 teams rather scared during the draw, and Holland usually gets the hard group anyway.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm not scared of drawing Holland. Or Belgium for that matter, but the red devils are top seeds.

If I had the choice, I'd like to have our Kryptonite Italy in our group, similar to 1996.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Well Low wouldnt want it besides you cant draw Belgium..amazing for them though, usually if you enter after such an absence it's pot 4 or 3. They are with the best.
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:58 pm

France should surely be 3rd seeds. They havn't really done anything since 2006.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:00 pm

France are on the right track now and look pretty strong. I can see them causing a few upsets if they qualify, which I actually expect them to.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:02 pm

France is all or nothing. Same with Italy. Though France fucked up 2002/2004/2008/2010/2012.

You need to have a bit of luck with the draw though. Like Germany had in 2002 for example.

But 2014 is really time for Argentina to be good at a WC again, otherwise no longer amongst the biggest nations. 1990 was their last semi, same as England Very Happy
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Argentina will be extra motivated on hostile, but still South American soil. Expect them to be strong next year.

It'll be interesting to see how the European teams will do next year, how they will deal with the climate and other challenges. Europe's record in South America is abysmal. Before 2010, no European team had won the WC outside of Europe, but Spain overcame that one. So it's probably about time to make amends for past sins.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:14 pm

I would love an Argentina win. If a European team doesnt win it, but most likely it will be Brazil sadly. But only thanks to home advantage, not because their brilliant squad.

Holland's record is pretty good in South-America. As is their record against South-American opponents, besides it will be winter then. Though it depends where you play, I heard Holland will play a couple of times in Myanus or something and that's in the jungle. Shame we dont have many Suriname players anymore.
BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Argentina's defence looks crap. I know most top teams don't have outstanding defences anymore, but theirs looks especially bad. Even in midfield, they are not exactly flooded with talent the same way they were 5-10 years ago.
debaser

Post by debaser on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:20 pm

helluva long time since it's been in South America though. christ, even minnows like Peru and Scotland qualified the last time it was there! impact of climate is rather unpredictable because it's gonna vary across the locations in Brazil.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Fey wrote:
Holland's record is pretty good in South-America. As is their record against South-American opponents, besides it will be winter then. Though it depends where you play, I heard Holland will play a couple of times in Myanus or something and that's in the jungle. Shame we dont have many Suriname players anymore.
lol!

Brazil are my top favourites also. Home advantage is huge for them. If this WC wasn't in Brazil / South America, they wouldn't be my favourites either.

You're right that Holland has a pretty decent record vs. South American teams. Same applies to France btw. Germany will probably do alright, too.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm

debaser wrote:helluva long time since it's been in South America though. christ, even minnows like Peru and Scotland qualified the last time it was there! impact of climate is rather unpredictable because it's gonna vary across the locations in Brazil.
That's actually the challenge, that unpredictability as far as the climate is concerned. Brazilian / South American players (at least those still playing on the continent) may be more used to those drastic climate changes than Europeans.

I'm not too concerned about the heat, we'll handle that just fine. It's those climate changes that are a reason for concern.
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Zabeleta---Garay--Colocini, should be solid enough for argentina, its their leftback and Goalkeeper that's the real problem, and the magic square type formation that they play, leaves the FB's very exposed and Rojo just isn't good enough.

But sabella has them playing Excellent stuff, the link up between Gago and Messi, is excellent, they are the ones that bring a bit of control to an other wise overly counter attack team, and Angel I am much better than Bale, Di Maria, is really a gem, he is playing out of position, but really does have a eye for the pass and when Di Maria,Higs,Kun and Messi does those little one twos around the box. its just deadly.

SF will be, Germany,Brazil,argentina,Spain, with Alonso/Javi back in midfield spain will win it again.
BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 pm

messiah wrote:Zabeleta---Garay--Colocini, should be solid enough for argentina, its their leftback and Goalkeeper that's the real problem, and the magic square type formation that they play, leaves the FB's very exposed and Rojo just isn't good enough.

But sabella has them playing Excellent stuff, the link up between Gago and Messi, is excellent, they are the ones that bring a bit of control to an other wise overly counter attack team, and Angel I am much better than Bale, Di Maria, is really a gem, he is playing out of position, but really does have a eye for the pass and when Di Maria,Higs,Kun and Messi does those little one twos around the box. its just deadly.

SF will be, Germany,Brazil,argentina,Spain, with Alonso/Javi back in midfield spain will win it again.
what do u think their lineup will be? will Banega play?
Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
Favourite Player : Ozil
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:30 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:France are on the right track now and look pretty strong. I can see them causing a few upsets if they qualify, which I actually expect them to.
They are and they should be with the talent at their disposal, however, you kind of feel like they could implode at any time. Too many cliques/egos within the set-up. Mentally they don't seem the strongest either.
BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:43 pm

They also looked good before Euro 2012, then their balls shrank in the actual tournament.

Plus, they don't play Mexes anymore.
messiah

Post by messiah on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:48 pm

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
messiah wrote:Zabeleta---Garay--Colocini, should be solid enough for argentina, its their leftback and Goalkeeper that's the real problem, and the magic square type formation that they play, leaves the FB's very exposed and Rojo just isn't good enough.

what do u think their lineup will be? will Banega play?
--------------Romero

---Zabeleta----Garay---Colocini-----Roja

-----------Masch---Gago

----------Messi-----Di Maria

-----------Kun-----Higs

Colocini/Fernandez, Benega will not start, as gago is pretty much a surety in the XI, he has been excellent for them

Hate that formation, but it works at least so far, its in an attempt to fit Kun in the Starting XI, I think a proper 4-2-3-1 would be much better, the only problem is i can't think of anyone who could play on the left

--------------Romero

---Zabeleta----Garay---Colocini----Roja

------------Masch---Gago

-----Di Maria-------Messi----------?

--------------------Higs

Gives the team more balance and protects their FBs

Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Lavezzi? Although his defensive instincts would leave a lot to be desired. Pastore, Alvarez may be other decent options.
BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Romford Pele wrote:Lavezzi? Although his defensive instincts would leave a lot to be desired. Pastore, Alvarez may be other decent options.
Gaitain as well.

Does Pastore even get called up?
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Argentina have a ridiculous array of wingers/strikers. Not sure about Pastore, just thought i'd fling him in there. Only really watched PSG in the CL this season so i'm not sure about formation/personnel etc.
messiah

Post by messiah on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:19 pm

yeah totally forgot about gaitain
BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Romford Pele wrote:Argentina have a ridiculous array of wingers/strikers. Not sure about Pastore, just thought i'd fling him in there. Only really watched PSG in the CL this season so i'm not sure about formation/personnel etc.
I think he's injured at the moment. Blanc has played 4-3-3 for PSG, so i don't know how Pastore would fit in. Think he may have to spend some time on the bench because it will be impossible to fit Ibra, Cavani, Lavezzi, Lucas, Pastore and Menez into the same team.

He's a classic number 10. He wants to play Messi's position for Argentina but obviously he can not.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:29 pm

I expect width to be important in this tournament. The current trend in football is cut-backs from wide positions to create goal scoring opportunities with relatively high efficiency.

Argentina's formation looks rather narrow to me, with an over-reliance on the fullbacks to provide width. Brazil have the same problem, albeit to a lesser degree. It's not just that they are 'exposed', they are over-burdened in the modern game.
debaser

Post by debaser on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:23 pm

I predict length will also be important.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:33 pm

debaser wrote:I predict length will also be important.
I don't. Midgets won the last three tournaments. And Peter Crouch retired.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:55 pm