WORLD CUP Draw

Share
avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Fey on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 pm

How many cities are situated at a higher level? That makes more influence then the temperature. At least in Quatar everyone will have it hot. And what about the time of day you play. In 1994 Holland had almost all lunch matches in the sun, which was killing.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Fey wrote:How many cities are situated at a higher level? That makes more influence then the temperature. At least in Quatar everyone will have it hot. And what about the time of day you play. In 1994 Holland had almost all lunch matches in the sun, which was killing.
Zero.

Altitude begins to matter above 2,000 m. The highest cities (São Paulo and Curitiba) are below 1,000 m.

And yeh, altitude is much worse than temperature.


Last edited by mongrel hawk on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Murray

Number of posts : 10201
Age : 47
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Murray on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Kroos wrote:
Murray wrote:
Kroos wrote:
Murray wrote:Some of you have misunderstood how the draw works, the 2 teams that qualify from each group go into opposite halves of the draw. Anybody can play anybody before the final & in the final.
i hope you are wrong
I'm right

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/kostage.html
no you are wrong

teams from a-d vs e-h will first met at the semi final, loot at your link
I am right. For example if Brazil & Germany win their groups, they meet in the semi final

If one of them is runner up in group, they can't meet until the final
avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Fey on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Actually feel the most for Italy(though I guess they will be happy with England and Costa RIca) they and France should have swapped places if it wasnt for that weird FIFA change of rules.
avatar
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Age : 31
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Kroos on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Murray wrote:
Kroos wrote:
Murray wrote:
Kroos wrote:
Murray wrote:Some of you have misunderstood how the draw works, the 2 teams that qualify from each group go into opposite halves of the draw. Anybody can play anybody before the final & in the final.
i hope you are wrong
I'm right

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/kostage.html
no you are wrong

teams from a-d vs e-h will first met at the semi final, loot at your link
I am right. For example if Brazil & Germany win their groups, they meet in the semi final

If one of them is runner up in group, they can't meet until the final
oh yeah thats i know, i thought you were saying that after the group stage teams from a-d will play teams from e-h
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Korea will have a lot of support in São Paulo against Belgium. Korean community here is big, though not as big as the japanese.
avatar
Antarion

Number of posts : 3374
Age : 33
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Antarion on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:41 pm

I like this draw! Interesting groups, excited for the tournament.

As long as Spain (not again please) or France (somehow can't stand them) don't win it, it will be a pleasure to watch :-)

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898
Age : 33
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:49 pm

England is likely to be booed in Manaus. Before the draw Hodgson said that he would rather be in the group of dead than play in Manaus (nothing wrong with that IMO). The mayor of Manaus said that he didn't want to have England playing there as well and acused him of being disrespctful towards the city.
avatar
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Age : 30
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Silly c**t
avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Fey on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:59 pm

21:00 BSTBrazil v CroatiaGroup AArena Corinthians
Friday, June 13, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTMexico v CameroonGroup AEstadio das Dunas
20:00 BSTSpain v NetherlandsGroup BArena Fonte Nova
23:00 BSTChile v AustraliaGroup BArena Pantanal
Saturday, June 14, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTColombia v GreeceGroup CEstadio Mineirão
23:00 BSTIvory Coast v JapanGroup CArena Pernambuco
20:00 BSTUruguay v Costa RicaGroup DEstadio Castelão
02:00 BSTEngland v ItalyGroup DArena Amazonia
Sunday, June 15, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTSwitzerland v EcuadorGroup EEstadio Nacional
20:00 BSTFrance v HondurasGroup EEstadio Beira-Rio
23:00 BSTArgentina v Bosnia-HerzegovinaGroup FEstadio do Maracanã
Monday, June 16, 2014
Time   StageVenue
20:00 BSTIran v NigeriaGroup FArena da Baixada
17:00 BSTGermany v PortugalGroup GArena Fonte Nova
23:00 BSTGhana v United StatesGroup GEstadio das Dunas
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
Time   StageVenue
20:00 BSTBrazil v MexicoGroup AEstadio Castelão
17:00 BSTBelgium v AlgeriaGroup HEstadio Mineirão
23:00 BSTRussia v South KoreaGroup HArena Pantanal
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Time   StageVenue
20:00 BSTCameroon v CroatiaGroup AArena Amazonia
17:00 BSTAustralia v NetherlandsGroup BEstadio Beira-Rio
23:00 BSTSpain v ChileGroup BEstadio do Maracanã
Thursday, June 19, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTColombia v Ivory CoastGroup CEstadio Nacional
23:00 BSTJapan v GreeceGroup CEstadio das Dunas
20:00 BSTUruguay v EnglandGroup DArena Corinthians
Friday, June 20, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTItaly v Costa RicaGroup DArena Pernambuco
20:00 BSTSwitzerland v FranceGroup EArena Fonte Nova
23:00 BSTHonduras v EcuadorGroup EArena da Baixada
Saturday, June 21, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTArgentina v IranGroup FEstadio Mineirão
23:00 BSTNigeria v Bosnia-HerzegovinaGroup FArena Pantanal
20:00 BSTGermany v GhanaGroup GEstadio Castelão
Sunday, June 22, 2014
Time   StageVenue
20:00 BSTUnited States v PortugalGroup GArena Amazonia
17:00 BSTSouth Korea v AlgeriaGroup HEstadio Beira-Rio
23:00 BSTBelgium v RussiaGroup HEstadio do Maracanã
Monday, June 23, 2014
Time   StageVenue
21:00 BSTCroatia v MexicoGroup AArena Pernambuco
21:00 BSTCameroon v BrazilGroup AEstadio Nacional
17:00 BSTAustralia v SpainGroup BArena da Baixada
17:00 BSTNetherlands v ChileGroup BArena Corinthians
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
Time   StageVenue
21:00 BSTGreece v Ivory CoastGroup CEstadio Castelão
21:00 BSTJapan v ColombiaGroup CArena Pantanal
17:00 BSTCosta Rica v EnglandGroup DEstadio Mineirão
17:00 BSTItaly v UruguayGroup DEstadio das Dunas
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Time   StageVenue
21:00 BSTHonduras v SwitzerlandGroup EArena Amazonia
21:00 BSTEcuador v FranceGroup EEstadio do Maracanã
17:00 BSTBosnia-Herzegovina v IranGroup FArena Fonte Nova
17:00 BSTNigeria v ArgentinaGroup FEstadio Beira-Rio
Thursday, June 26, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTPortugal v GhanaGroup GEstadio Nacional
17:00 BSTUnited States v GermanyGroup GArena Pernambuco
21:00 BSTAlgeria v RussiaGroup HArena da Baixada
21:00 BSTSouth Korea v BelgiumGroup HArena Corinthians
Saturday, June 28, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BST1A v 2BSecond RoundEstadio Mineirão
21:00 BST1C v 2DSecond RoundEstadio do Maracanã
Sunday, June 29, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BST1B v 2ASecond RoundEstadio Castelão
21:00 BST1D v 2CSecond RoundArena Pernambuco
Monday, June 30, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BST1E v 2FSecond RoundEstadio Nacional
21:00 BST1G v 2HSecond RoundEstadio Beira-Rio
Tuesday, July 1, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BST1F v 2ESecond RoundArena Corinthians
21:00 BST1H v 2GSecond RoundArena Fonte Nova
Friday, July 4, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTWinner Match 51 v Winner Match 52Quarter-finalsEstadio do Maracanã
21:00 BSTWinner Match 49 v Winner Match 50Quarter-finalsEstadio Castelão
Saturday, July 5, 2014
Time   StageVenue
17:00 BSTWinner Match 55 v Winner Match 56Quarter-finalsEstadio Nacional
21:00 BSTWinner Match 53 v Winner Match 54Quarter-finalsArena Fonte Nova
Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Time   StageVenue
21:00 BSTWinner Match 57 v Winner Match 59Semi-finalsEstadio Mineirão
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
Time   StageVenue
21:00 BSTWinner Match 58 v Winner Match 60Semi-finalsArena Corinthians
Saturday, July 12, 2014
Time   StageVenue
21:00 BSTLoser Match 61 v Loser Match 62Third PlaceEstadio Nacional
Sunday, July 13, 2014
Time   StageVenue
20:00 BSTWinner Match 61 v Winner Match 62FinalEstadio do Maracanã
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:England is likely to be booed in Manaus. Before the draw Hodgson said that he would rather be in the group of dead than play in Manaus (nothing wrong with that IMO). The mayor of Manaus said that he didn't want to have England playing there as well and acused him of being disrespctful towards the city.  
Some people like to be annoying and take offence at everything. Hodgson was not disrespectful. He only said that because Manaus is in the middle of the fucking rain forest. I wouldn't want to play there if I was European either. Manaus mayor is a c**t.

Italy will probably have public suppport against England though because of the millions of Brazilians that are descendants of Italians.
avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Fey on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:05 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:England is likely to be booed in Manaus. Before the draw Hodgson said that he would rather be in the group of dead than play in Manaus (nothing wrong with that IMO). The mayor of Manaus said that he didn't want to have England playing there as well and acused him of being disrespctful towards the city.  
Some people like to be annoying and take offence at everything. Hodgson was not disrespectful. He only said that because Manaus is in the middle of the fucking rain forest. I wouldn't want to play there if I was European either. Manaus mayor is a c**t.

Italy will probably have public suppport against England though because of the millions of Brazilians that are descendants of Italians.
Roonble in the Jungle or something like that will be a headline in the english press for sure. Still, the man has a point.

Anyway, I dont expect too many Brazilians at non-Brazil games anyway. So not worried about the booes, and if so, Brazilian national team fans are one of the worst in the world(slightly above the Dutch), I doubt anyone can hear them anyway.
avatar
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Age : 26
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Luis on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:10 pm

To be fair, Italy aren't even that good any more. Probably just a little better than England. Having said that England probably won't even beat Costa Rica.
avatar
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Age : 30
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Probably will.. We're not especially good but I can imagine we'd grind out a win vs Costa Rica
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by debaser on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:00 pm

might be useless by then, 'cause we playing them last
avatar
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!

Number of posts : 4759
Age : 38
Supports : Italia and Milan
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Luis wrote:To be fair, Italy aren't even that good any more. Probably just a little better than England. Having said that England probably won't even beat Costa Rica.
lol! 
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by debaser on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
Luis wrote:To be fair, Italy aren't even that good any more. Probably just a little better than England. Having said that England probably won't even beat Costa Rica.
lol! 
well, tbf, a pretty shit England team in Euro 2012 still took Italy to penalties, so they're not light years apart.

I could imagine England getting a draw in a cagey opening WC match..
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:47 pm

debaser wrote:
Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
Luis wrote:To be fair, Italy aren't even that good any more. Probably just a little better than England. Having said that England probably won't even beat Costa Rica.
lol! 
well, tbf, a pretty shit England team in Euro 2012 still took Italy to penalties, so they're not light years apart.

I could imagine England getting a draw in a cagey opening WC match..
I won't be surprised if England qualify for the second round. I think Uruguay, England and Italy are pretty even.
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by debaser on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:54 pm

nobody should be surprised if England make 2nd round, after all we have done so the last four world cups running. not that I'm confident!
avatar
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!

Number of posts : 4759
Age : 38
Supports : Italia and Milan
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 pm

debaser wrote:
Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
Luis wrote:To be fair, Italy aren't even that good any more. Probably just a little better than England. Having said that England probably won't even beat Costa Rica.
lol! 
well, tbf, a pretty shit England team in Euro 2012 still took Italy to penalties, so they're not light years apart.

I could imagine England getting a draw in a cagey opening WC match..
I think Italy are comfortably better than England, but that is not to say England can't get a result. Two different things.

As for England taking Italy to penalties in Euro 2012...it wasn't exactly an evenly poised contest...if I remember correctly, Pirlo made double the passes Gerard and Parker managed COMBINED.

I haven't seen a palpable difference between the England side that fumbled their way to and through penalties in Euro 2012 and the one of now.  Similarly, I don't think Italy have declined enough to bridge the gap.  Italy were comfortable in qualifying, and only concede when they play with abandon (friendlies, Confed Cup, dead rubbers etc.).

Italy are in the tier 1 of football nations as of now (they skinned Germany 15 months ago, and it could have been much worse than 2-1), and more often than not turn it up--esp under Prandelli.  Under Prandelli they seem to cohere, and the thrashing against Spain aside, they have done well against the big teams in most matches since.  If the injury situation, form, and luck doesn't drastically fluctuate, England will be fighting Uruguay for the 2nd spot IMO.


Last edited by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by debaser on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:10 pm

sure I'm not arguing Italy are stronger & will be favourites to go through the group. just don't think it's a laughable notion to say they only a bit better.

no doubt Italy are strong defensively, but at same time I look at squad and it seems Balotelli the only forward to be particularly scared of. possession means nothing if you don't score. Villa won 3-2 midweek at Southampton with 23% possession!
avatar
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!

Number of posts : 4759
Age : 38
Supports : Italia and Milan
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:16 pm

debaser wrote:sure I'm not arguing Italy are stronger & will be favourites to go through the group. just don't think it's a laughable notion to say they only a bit better.

no doubt Italy are strong defensively, but at same time I look at squad and it seems Balotelli the only forward to be particularly scared of
Actually defensively I am worried. After/alongside Balo there is Rossi as well, who is enjoying good form. But yes Gilardino doesn't evoke fear like Vieri did Smile.

But Prandelli has reconfigured this Italy in so many different ways that players like Candreva and Diamanti make it easier to compensate for out and out strikers.

Anyway, like I said, England may very well get a result, better than a cagey draw even (Houghton in 1994 and all that).
avatar
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Age : 32
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by debaser on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:20 pm

or Slovakia in 2010 Razz
avatar
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Age : 38
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Jaime on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:21 pm

debaser wrote:sure I'm not arguing Italy are stronger & will be favourites to go through the group. just don't think it's a laughable notion to say they only a bit better.

no doubt Italy are strong defensively, but at same time I look at squad and it seems Balotelli the only forward to be particularly scared of. possession means nothing if you don't score. Villa won 3-2 midweek at Southampton with 23% possession!
PROGRESS! cheers
avatar
Forza Italia!Forza Milan!

Number of posts : 4759
Age : 38
Supports : Italia and Milan
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Forza Italia!Forza Milan! on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Jaime wrote:
debaser wrote:sure I'm not arguing Italy are stronger & will be favourites to go through the group. just don't think it's a laughable notion to say they only a bit better.

no doubt Italy are strong defensively, but at same time I look at squad and it seems Balotelli the only forward to be particularly scared of. possession means nothing if you don't score. Villa won 3-2 midweek at Southampton with 23% possession!
PROGRESS! cheers
Smile

True, it doesn't mean anything if you don't score, but it won't always be the case that you won't. There will come a time when you will make the domination tell. For example, that game Italy played against Holland in Euro2000 was a total freak occurrence. I am not saying Italy dominated to that degree (or that England defended as adeptly as Italy did in that game), but if Hodgson doesn't get England to play the ball against Italy then England may come undone a bit earlier in the heat. De Rossi, Montolivo etc. won't always miss gilt-edged chances either.
avatar
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Age : 37
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
debaser wrote:
Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
Luis wrote:To be fair, Italy aren't even that good any more. Probably just a little better than England. Having said that England probably won't even beat Costa Rica.
lol! 
well, tbf, a pretty shit England team in Euro 2012 still took Italy to penalties, so they're not light years apart.

I could imagine England getting a draw in a cagey opening WC match..
I think Italy are comfortably better than England, but that is not to say England can't get a result.  Two different things.

As for England taking Italy to penalties in Euro 2012...it wasn't exactly an evenly poised contest...if I remember correctly, Pirlo made double the passes Gerard and Parker managed COMBINED.

I haven't seen a palpable difference between the England side that fumbled their way to and through penalties in Euro 2012 and the one of now.  Similarly, I don't think Italy have declined enough to bridge the gap.  Italy were comfortable in qualifying, and only concede when they play with abandon (friendlies, Confed Cup, dead rubbers etc.).

Italy are in the tier 1 of football nations as of now (they skinned Germany 15 months ago, and it could have been much worse than 2-1), and more often than not turn it up--esp under Prandelli.  Under Prandelli they seem to cohere, and the thrashing against Spain aside, they have done well against the big teams in most matches since.  If the injury situation, form, and luck doesn't drastically fluctuate, England will be fighting Uruguay for the 2nd spot IMO.
ok  We got lucky against Italy in 2012, they tore us apart bar some shoddy finishing.

Also, Italy are a tournament side just like ze Germans. The only hope is that they take awhile to get going as can be the norm and we take advantage.

I'm actually rather looking forward to this tournament. Expecting so little of England that without the pressure / worry it'll be more fun to watch.

If Germany hadn't already won 3 World Cups and generally been a bunch of c**ts historically (and I mean purely football wise), I'd will them to be the team from Europe to win on SA soil. As it is, if Spain won again that wouldn't be a problem for me, wouldn't be the first time they went to South America and did a bit of pillaging.

The actual Woy quotes about Manaus: "The tropical nature of Manaus is the problem," Hodgson said. "Manaus is the place ideally to avoid and Porto Alegre is the place ideally to get. Manaus will be a difficult venue for everyone"

Seem pretty tame, speaking entirely from a football perspective. If he'd have accused everyone in Manaus of having AIDS, the women being hairy and smelly and the sights a distasteful monstrosity, perhaps I'd understand the Mayor getting so tetchy.
avatar
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Kimbo on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:42 pm

We need John Terry to come back, and Dennis Wise.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Isco Benny wrote:
Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
debaser wrote:
Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
Luis wrote:To be fair, Italy aren't even that good any more. Probably just a little better than England. Having said that England probably won't even beat Costa Rica.
lol! 
well, tbf, a pretty shit England team in Euro 2012 still took Italy to penalties, so they're not light years apart.

I could imagine England getting a draw in a cagey opening WC match..
I think Italy are comfortably better than England, but that is not to say England can't get a result.  Two different things.

As for England taking Italy to penalties in Euro 2012...it wasn't exactly an evenly poised contest...if I remember correctly, Pirlo made double the passes Gerard and Parker managed COMBINED.

I haven't seen a palpable difference between the England side that fumbled their way to and through penalties in Euro 2012 and the one of now.  Similarly, I don't think Italy have declined enough to bridge the gap.  Italy were comfortable in qualifying, and only concede when they play with abandon (friendlies, Confed Cup, dead rubbers etc.).

Italy are in the tier 1 of football nations as of now (they skinned Germany 15 months ago, and it could have been much worse than 2-1), and more often than not turn it up--esp under Prandelli.  Under Prandelli they seem to cohere, and the thrashing against Spain aside, they have done well against the big teams in most matches since.  If the injury situation, form, and luck doesn't drastically fluctuate, England will be fighting Uruguay for the 2nd spot IMO.
ok  We got lucky against Italy in 2012, they tore us apart bar some shoddy finishing.

Also, Italy are a tournament side just like ze Germans. The only hope is that they take awhile to get going as can be the norm and we take advantage.

I'm actually rather looking forward to this tournament. Expecting so little of England that without the pressure / worry it'll be more fun to watch.

If Germany hadn't already won 3 World Cups and generally been a bunch of c**ts historically (and I mean purely football wise), I'd will them to be the team from Europe to win on SA soil. As it is, if Spain won again that wouldn't be a problem for me, wouldn't be the first time they went to South America and did a bit of pillaging.

The actual Woy quotes about Manaus: "The tropical nature of Manaus is the problem," Hodgson said. "Manaus is the place ideally to avoid and Porto Alegre is the place ideally to get. Manaus will be a difficult venue for everyone"

Seem pretty tame, speaking entirely from a football perspective. If he'd have accused everyone in Manaus of having AIDS, the women being hairy and smelly and the sights a distasteful monstrosity, perhaps I'd understand the Mayor getting so tetchy.
Actually, he's wrong here if he's thinking about cold weather. Though Porto Alegre is the southernmost city, Curitiba is the coldest and most European looking. It even snowed there this winter.

And it seems it wasn't the mayor of the city, but the governor of the Amazonas State (the capital of which is Manaus) who said it. I've read this story in a Brazilian site and most Brazilian posters were agreeing the governor is being silly, and that there isn't anything to get offended about.
avatar
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Age : 28
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Super Progress on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Jaime wrote:
debaser wrote:sure I'm not arguing Italy are stronger & will be favourites to go through the group. just don't think it's a laughable notion to say they only a bit better.

no doubt Italy are strong defensively, but at same time I look at squad and it seems Balotelli the only forward to be particularly scared of. possession means nothing if you don't score. Villa won 3-2 midweek at Southampton with 23% possession!
PROGRESS! cheers
Biggrin 

I agree with Forza here although I expect England to do more than they did against Italy last time. If England can get an underdog role then with Sturridge+Rooney on form they can be quite dangerous. On the other hand England don't really seem to have made much progress based on what I hear on here. What is the expected starting line up for England?

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898
Age : 33
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
Isco Benny wrote:
Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
debaser wrote:
Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
Luis wrote:To be fair, Italy aren't even that good any more. Probably just a little better than England. Having said that England probably won't even beat Costa Rica.
lol! 
well, tbf, a pretty shit England team in Euro 2012 still took Italy to penalties, so they're not light years apart.

I could imagine England getting a draw in a cagey opening WC match..
I think Italy are comfortably better than England, but that is not to say England can't get a result.  Two different things.

As for England taking Italy to penalties in Euro 2012...it wasn't exactly an evenly poised contest...if I remember correctly, Pirlo made double the passes Gerard and Parker managed COMBINED.

I haven't seen a palpable difference between the England side that fumbled their way to and through penalties in Euro 2012 and the one of now.  Similarly, I don't think Italy have declined enough to bridge the gap.  Italy were comfortable in qualifying, and only concede when they play with abandon (friendlies, Confed Cup, dead rubbers etc.).

Italy are in the tier 1 of football nations as of now (they skinned Germany 15 months ago, and it could have been much worse than 2-1), and more often than not turn it up--esp under Prandelli.  Under Prandelli they seem to cohere, and the thrashing against Spain aside, they have done well against the big teams in most matches since.  If the injury situation, form, and luck doesn't drastically fluctuate, England will be fighting Uruguay for the 2nd spot IMO.
ok  We got lucky against Italy in 2012, they tore us apart bar some shoddy finishing.

Also, Italy are a tournament side just like ze Germans. The only hope is that they take awhile to get going as can be the norm and we take advantage.

I'm actually rather looking forward to this tournament. Expecting so little of England that without the pressure / worry it'll be more fun to watch.

If Germany hadn't already won 3 World Cups and generally been a bunch of c**ts historically (and I mean purely football wise), I'd will them to be the team from Europe to win on SA soil. As it is, if Spain won again that wouldn't be a problem for me, wouldn't be the first time they went to South America and did a bit of pillaging.

The actual Woy quotes about Manaus: "The tropical nature of Manaus is the problem," Hodgson said. "Manaus is the place ideally to avoid and Porto Alegre is the place ideally to get. Manaus will be a difficult venue for everyone"

Seem pretty tame, speaking entirely from a football perspective. If he'd have accused everyone in Manaus of having AIDS, the women being hairy and smelly and the sights a distasteful monstrosity, perhaps I'd understand the Mayor getting so tetchy.
Actually, he's wrong here if he's thinking about cold weather. Though Porto Alegre is the southernmost city, Curitiba is the coldest and most European looking. It even snowed there this winter.

And it seems it wasn't the mayor of the city, but the governor of the Amazonas State (the capital of which is Manaus) who said it. I've read this story in a Brazilian site and most Brazilian posters were agreeing the governor is being silly, and that there isn't anything to get offended about.
Todo, the Mayor of Manaus also said that:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/05/england-manager-roy-hodgson-manaus

Today Carlos Alberto Parreira said that Manaus shouldn't be a host city. Just some moron politicians couldn't understand what Hodgson meant.


Sponsored content

Re: WORLD CUP Draw

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:21 am