Champions Leauge - Round of last 16

debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Champions Leauge - Round of last 16

Post by debaser on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:34 pm

King Modric wrote:I love Muller, what a player he is.

why did he not start? I assumed he was injured or something. much better than Gotze or Mandzukic.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Rosicky wrote:Pretty fucking disgusting that the two stand out ties out of this round have been totally ruined by the pen/sending off.

Both Arsenal and Citeh were right in the games until then.

Violin 
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Luis wrote:
Rosicky wrote:Pretty fucking disgusting that the two stand out ties out of this round have been totally ruined by the pen/sending off.

Violin 

I expected Arsenal to lose so i am not fussed by that.

But would you rather not see 2 epic games of football, as thats what they both could have been.
Rosicky

Post by Rosicky on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Doesnt appear to be a single decent game so far. Home teams 0 Away teams 9.

YAWN.
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Rosicky wrote:
Luis wrote:

Violin 

But would you rather not see 2 epic games of football, as thats what they both could have been.

Well by the letter of the law he had to go. Bayern should have had another pen and Rosicky should have been off as well.

Stop whinging.
King Modric

Number of posts : 910
Supports : Real Madrid, soft spot for Liverpool
Favourite Player : Modric, Casillas, Alonso, Jese, Isco, Bale
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Post by King Modric on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Rosicky wrote:
Luis wrote:

Violin 

I thought Arsenal were unlucky and it certainly ruined what was a very good match. City, on the other hand, were employing a curiously passive park the bus tactic and I didn't have any sympathy for them, despite the fact that I bet money on them to win the tie.
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:50 pm

feel sorry for arsenal they were in it until the sending off, can't believe ozil hit such a poor PK, against a keeper like neurer you have to hit it as close to perfect as possible.

happy for atletico because milan should have scored in the first half
TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
Supports : Arsenal
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by TheCrazy58 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Well that was dispriting. Good start, a pen early on in the match and then it got progressively worse. If we'd played badly and deservedly lost, I shan't complain but some of us f****d up royally. I don't like finger pointing but OZIL SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO TAKE A PEN EVER AGAINGrr  Grr  Grr  He's missed 3 at least since he came and I can't actually remember him scoring one. And Chesney, just when we thought he'd cut that stupidity out of his game, he goes and barges into the most divable player on the continent. Grr  Grr  I feel angry towards them for the rest of the team who'd had to run themselves into the ground for nearly an hour and who did well to hold the score down to 0- 1 for so long. I hope they'll both apologise to the rest of the team (never mind Giroud's little escapade, this is far more apology-worthy).
shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Very mature attacking performance from Robben. Really smart and purposeful. Not just relying on talent and instinct as he has in the past. But still outshorne by MTOM Kroos. Incredible technique and accuracy for the goal and passing throughout. They really didn't need to bring in two more passing midfielder regardless of how well they've done.

Not that it would have mattered but if Ozil wasn't going to be taken off for Rosicky, could he not have been moved to the right side. His cutting in dribbling would have been more useful and Rosicky would have provided better protection for Monreal.

In general, European refs are so annoying how quickly they show yellow cards for non dangerous/ non blatantly cynical fouls. They need to let the soft foul count higher overall.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:59 pm

messiah wrote:feel sorry for arsenal they were in it until the sending off, can't believe ozil hit such a poor PK, against a keeper like neurer you have to hit it as close to perfect as possible.

I can! wave
Rosicky

Post by Rosicky on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 pm

Missed 3 for Arsenal. I hope he never takes one for Arsenal again.
Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Only defence is there wasn't an obvious candidate to take it. As Arteta and Giroud are our two other penalty takers.

On the otherhand, Ox should have taken it. Strikes the ball brilliantly, and hasn't let the big occasion affect him so far in his career.
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Jaime wrote:
messiah wrote:feel sorry for arsenal they were in it until the sending off, can't believe ozil hit such a poor PK, against a keeper like neurer you have to hit it as close to perfect as possible.

I can! wave

Laughing 

I was shocked when i saw it, so poor
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Alaba's pen was worse. Ozil was soft but at least on target! but yeah I reckon Ox would be a good shout
The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:32 pm

shazlx wrote:Very mature attacking performance from Robben. Really smart and purposeful. Not just relying on talent and instinct as he has in the past. But still outshorne by MTOM Kroos. Incredible technique and accuracy for the goal and passing throughout. They really didn't need to bring in two more passing midfielder regardless of how well they've done.

Not that it would have mattered but if Ozil wasn't going to be taken off for Rosicky, could he not have been moved to the right side. His cutting in dribbling would have been more useful and Rosicky would have provided better protection for Monreal.

In general, European refs are so annoying how quickly they show yellow cards for non dangerous/ non blatantly cynical fouls. They need to let the soft foul count higher overall.

I really couldn't believe Wenger didn't switch Ozil and Ox (Rosicky) around. Was it not obvious to him Bayern were getting so much joy on that flank? Ozil was not *lazy but he isn't player known for his defensive awareness.

A shame that stupid rule ruined what could have been an absolute cracker. Proud of our performance.

*Distance covered :

Flamini   Yikes

Mertesacker covered more distance than most of the Bayern team  Laughing 
TM

Number of posts : 21218
Supports : PROGRESS!
Favourite Player : Luis Figo
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:33 pm

The Pröfessör

Post by The Pröfessör on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 pm

debaser wrote:Alaba's pen was worse. Ozil was soft but at least on target! but yeah I reckon Ox would be a good shout

Cazorla should have had a go, but again didn't he miss against Bradford last season? I think he did

Pretty sure I have seen Ozil score penalties before, but this is now the 2nd penalty he's missed for us, so maybe he should take a step back when it comes to penalties duties this season.

TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151

Post by TheCrazy58 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 pm

debaser wrote:Alaba's pen was worse. Ozil was soft but at least on target! but yeah I reckon Ox would be a good shout

Cazorla should be No.3 pen taker.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:40 pm

The Pröfessör wrote:

Mertesacker covered more distance than most of the Bayern team  Laughing 

Mertesacker covered more distance than Javi Martínez, Dante and their goalkeeper. Everyone else was subbed off/on or covered more ground than him.

I remember a stat when Owen Hargreaves was ;playing, he averaged 12 miles a game Yikes

The Pröfessör

Post by The Pröfessör on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Rosicky wrote:Missed 3 for Arsenal. I hope he never takes one for Arsenal again.

Who was the other penalty against?  I see TheCrazy58 is also saying 'at least 3 penalties'  Erm
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Ozil. Been playing like he can't wait to get out of Arsenal in recent weeks, tonight he just made it even more blatant. Expect Bayern to sign him in the summer. NY/Miami connection Ale
Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
Favourite Player : Ozil
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:39 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:Well that was dispriting. Good start, a pen early on in the match and then it got progressively worse. If we'd played badly and deservedly lost, I shan't complain but some of us f****d up royally. I don't like finger pointing but OZIL SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO TAKE A PEN EVER AGAINGrr  Grr  Grr  He's missed 3 at least since he came and I can't actually remember him scoring one. And Chesney, just when we thought he'd cut that stupidity out of his game, he goes and barges into the most divable player on the continent. Grr  Grr  I feel angry towards them for the rest of the team who'd had to run themselves into the ground for nearly an hour and who did well to hold the score down to 0- 1 for so long. I hope they'll both apologise to the rest of the team (never mind Giroud's little escapade, this is far more apology-worthy).

lol! Nothing like spouting s*** eh? At least three penalties? He's only taken two for us but let's not get in the way of your storytelling shall we? Like Prof said, i've seen him take a few for Germany and net them all but we'll ignore facts.

As for Chesney, he should've stayed on his line and let Robben have a full goal to aim at? Nobody tracked Robben's run so he had no other choice. You're letting your emotions get the best of you.

Can't fault the team. We were always up against it. Fine margins and all. Needed to take our chances. Gibbs injury, Chesney red, the rest is history. Hope we concentrate on the league and cup now. Sanogo a very good positive.
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Isco Benny wrote:Ozil. Been playing like he can't wait to get out of Arsenal in recent weeks, tonight he just made it even more blatant. Expect Bayern to sign him in the summer. NY/Miami connection Ale

lol! lol! 
Rosicky

Post by Rosicky on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Rosicky

Post by Rosicky on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:47 pm

And how is Sanogo a huge plus?! Name one other big team in Europe which would play a completely unproven striker in such a crucial game.

Shows how fucked Wengers transfer policy is by not signing a suitable backup to Giroud.
Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Rosicky wrote:And how is Sanogo a huge plus?! Name one other big team in Europe which would play a completely unproven striker in such a crucial game.

Shows how fucked Wengers transfer policy is by not signing a suitable backup to Giroud.

Of course it's Wenger's fault for not reinforcing but if you watched the first 30 minutes, you would've seen what he brought to the side. He did all that supposed hold-up BS which Giroud is famed for but still offered a threat in behind. There was a bit where he brought it down between two players and played it through for Ox. Considering his two professional starts have been against Liverpool and BM, he's acquitted himself well. Factor in the fact he's been out for 5 months and played two crucial games, it puts things into perspective.
Rosicky

Post by Rosicky on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 pm

I am not criticising Sanogo, he did okay, more the club for the forcing us to go into biggest game of the season playing a completely unproven player.
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 pm

No one forced Giroud to cheat on his wife or force Wenger not to start him. You lost the game because your keeper got sent off and all you could do from that moment on was defend for your lives.
Rosicky

Post by Rosicky on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Luis wrote:No one forced Giroud to cheat on his wife or force Wenger not to start him. You lost the game because your keeper got sent off and all you could do from that moment on was defend for your lives.

Missing. The. Point.

Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 pm

What a shame these games have been. In both games the sides that were playing better had their game change because of a ref mistake, especially Arsenal.

Ozil misses the penalty Sad 

It is beyond me why Wenger didn't take Ozil out because he has now awareness and he tires quickly yet he took out Ox

Bayern didn't look too impressive until the red card and just like City the day before you're left thinking that it could easily have ended in victories for the home sides

Also interesting that all 4 home sides lost this round. Probably much to read into this since two of the cases were due to a red card+penalty and PSG is considerably better than a weak form Leverkusen. From what I understand Atletico stole from Milan.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 am