Real Madrid CF 2013/14

Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Real Madrid CF 2013/14

Post by Jaime on Thu May 01, 2014 12:11 am

stinger wrote:The most amazing skill by Ancelotti is how he can manage, motivate and making everyone on one side with top players like he has in Real.
But it's not really surprising - he did as good with this aspect when he was in Milan, Chelsea and PSG.

And he somehow is able to do it without all the drama Mourinho produces on almost daily basis, players seem to enjoy playing for him even without installing in them "we against rest of the world" mentality.

Exactly because the "us against the world" mentality very quickly degenerates into "everyone against Jose".
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Thu May 01, 2014 12:12 am

Super Progress wrote:translation?

In the press conference before the second leg Pep said "I've read in the Madrid press that Real are already in the final" obviously trying to stir up trouble. So that is the headline at the top and then at the bottom it says "You read correctly".

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Thu May 01, 2014 12:22 am

Jaime wrote:

In the press conference before the second leg Pep said "I've read in the Madrid press that Real are already in the final" obviously trying to stir up trouble. So that is the headline at the top and then at the bottom it says "You read correctly".
 lol! 

After the match Guardiola also seemed to suggest that he needs better players (he put it in "more suited to my philosophy" package). Shakhtar probably is hoping for another Chigrinsky transfer  Wink 
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu May 01, 2014 12:42 am

stinger wrote:
Jaime wrote:

lol! 

After the match Guardiola also seemed to suggest that he needs better players (he put it in "more suited to my philosophy" package). Shakhtar probably is hoping for another Chigrinsky transfer  Wink 

Laughing

Well we all know that his master plan is to kick out Kroos in favor of Thiago. Not sure who else he is going to get, Xavi ffs?

If Bayern are smart they will never allow Pep to buy a defender.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 02, 2014 2:58 pm

The club are appealing Alonso's second yellow against Bayern. I doubt it will be overturned but I think they are going to appeal to the fact that Alonso, prior to that had committed only 7 fouls in the entire CL.
Cristiano

Number of posts : 2557
Supports : Real Madrid
Favourite Player : Zidane, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Ozil, David Silva, Guti, Hierro, Valeron, Pirlo,
Registration date : 2007-01-09

Post by Cristiano on Fri May 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Jaime wrote:The club are appealing Alonso's second yellow against Bayern. I doubt it will be overturned but I think they are going to appeal to the fact that Alonso, prior to that had committed only 7 fouls in the entire CL.

Might as well give it a cheeky go i suppose, they know it will amount to nothing.

On another note I really enjoyed how frustrated the Bayern players became in the first half when they realised it was all over. Especially after that comment about Ramos's penalty by Neuer, for him to then score the first crucial goals past him was lovely  Laughing 

To be honest I was not very optimistic before the 2nd leg, I thought Bayern would be more direct than the first leg however comments from a lot of the Bayern players after that first match suggested that they thought they had played very well and were just unlucky which was encouraging as it showed they were not aware of their weaknesses.

I wonder what's gonna happen with Coentrao now in the summer after his recent form.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Cristiano wrote:
Jaime wrote:The club are appealing Alonso's second yellow against Bayern. I doubt it will be overturned but I think they are going to appeal to the fact that Alonso, prior to that had committed only 7 fouls in the entire CL.

Might as well give it a cheeky go i suppose, they know it will amount to nothing.

On another note I really enjoyed how frustrated the Bayern players became in the first half when they realised it was all over. Especially after that comment about Ramos's penalty by Neuer, for him to then score the first crucial goals past him was lovely  Laughing 

To be honest I was not very optimistic before the 2nd leg, I thought Bayern would be more direct than the first leg however comments from a lot of the Bayern players after that first match suggested that they thought they had played very well and were just unlucky which was encouraging as it showed they were not aware of their weaknesses.

I wonder what's gonna happen with Coentrao now in the summer after his recent form.

I hate Neuer almost as much as I hated Kahn which is saying something!

I was honestly hoping we would lose 2-1 and we would squeak through on away goals. Never in my wildest imagination thought we would leave Bayern with 0-4.

Really really hope that Coentrao will stay somehow. He's just turned 26 so really his best 3-4 years are still ahead of him. Maybe Ancelotti can work another miracle.
Cristiano

Favourite Player : Zidane, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Ozil, David Silva, Guti, Hierro, Valeron, Pirlo,

Post by Cristiano on Fri May 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Jaime wrote:
Cristiano wrote:

I hate Neuer almost as much as I hated Kahn which is saying something!

I was honestly hoping we would lose 2-1 and we would squeak through on away goals. Never in my wildest imagination thought we would leave Bayern with 0-4.

Really really hope that Coentrao will stay somehow. He's just turned 26 so really his best 3-4 years are still ahead of him. Maybe Ancelotti can work another miracle.

Yea, and if he does leave due to recent performances we should get decent money for him certainly much more than we would have got last summer.
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Tue May 06, 2014 10:22 pm

stinger wrote:The most amazing skill by Ancelotti is how he can manage, motivate and making everyone on one side with top players like he has in Real.
But it's not really surprising - he did as good with this aspect when he was in Milan, Chelsea and PSG.

And he somehow is able to do it without all the drama Mourinho produces on almost daily basis, players seem to enjoy playing for him even without installing in them "we against rest of the world" mentality.

Very true.

Though the other side of the coin is the numerous near-misses his teams have had in cups and leagues.
TM

Number of posts : 21218
Supports : PROGRESS!
Favourite Player : Luis Figo
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Post by TM on Tue May 06, 2014 10:27 pm

abundance wrote:

Very true.

Though the other side of the coin is the numerous near-misses his teams have had in cups and leagues.

No 

Don't jinx it.

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Wed May 07, 2014 1:54 am

abundance wrote:

Very true.

He still wins enough.

And numerous near-misses means his teams rarely are eliminated early in cup competiions or have a surprisengly poor season in league. More positives for him in my book.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress on Thu May 08, 2014 11:26 am

How bad are the injuries to Pepe and Di Maria?

Pepe has been great but we can survive him but Di Maria is a different matter. Isco is still rather inconsistent for us so I would be worried if we have to rely on him to replace Di Maria.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu May 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Super Progress wrote:How bad are the injuries to Pepe and Di Maria?

Pepe has been great but we can survive him but Di Maria is a different matter. Isco is still rather inconsistent for us so I would be worried if we have to rely on him to replace Di Maria.

Di Maria's injury is much less serious than first thought. He will be out for a week or so but should be fine to play the CL final.

Pepe is having tests tomorrow but it does not look too bad.

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Thu May 08, 2014 5:43 pm

How are the chances of Casemiro starting the final? Ilarra is playing so bad...

Last edited by Formerly known as sheva7 on Thu May 08, 2014 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu May 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:What are the chances of Casemiro starting the final? Ilarra is playing so bad...

Illarra was poor, I thought, against Valladolid but previously he had put in several very good performances in a row in the league. Ancelotti likes him a lot and for some reason doesn't fully trust Casemiro in spite of his good performances whenever he has played.

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Jaime wrote:
Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:What are the chances of Casemiro starting the final? Ilarra is playing so bad...

Illarra was poor, I thought, against Valladolid but previously he had put in several very good performances in a row in the league. Ancelotti likes him a lot and for some reason doesn't fully trust Casemiro in spite of his good performances whenever he has played.

I don't trust him too.

I asked because Real Madrid fans seem to be disappointed with Ilarra's last performances.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Thu May 08, 2014 8:03 pm

Unfortunately not that good, Sheva. I'm getting more insecure about Illarramendi and I certainly don't trust him when he has to take over from Alonso and won't have Alonso-Modric to do all the important things. At the moment I can't see what he can realistically add to this team except that he is more agile than Alonso and can keep it neat when towards the end of a game. Seems awfully expensive to spend 30M+ for such a player. Considering the talent in Spain it is embarrasing that he is the most expensive Spaniard ever!

He should get another season but we should be looking at somebody like Gundogan and similar players if he doesn't improve big time next season. They are the same age but miles apart in talent and performance.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Gundogan is so overrated. He doesn't do any defensive work either so he would not be an exact replacement for Alonso.

Anyhow, it looks like Pepe is at best a doubt for the final. Big moment for Varane.
The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör on Fri May 09, 2014 4:27 pm

You guys should check out Iturraspe, I really like him.

By the way, couldn't Parejo do a job for u from the bench instead of maybe spending huge sums on Illaramendi? Looks a classy player at Valencia. I have seen him play well both in CM alongside a DM and at AM behind the main striker. Looks a much better ball player to me than Javi Garcia who went for huge money to City.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 09, 2014 4:47 pm

The Pröfessör wrote:

By the way, couldn't Parejo do a job for u from the bench instead of maybe spending huge sums on Illaramendi? Looks a classy player at Valencia. I have seen him play well both in CM alongside a DM and at AM behind the main striker. Looks a much better ball player to me than Javi Garcia who went for huge money to City.

Iturraspe is, of course, excellent. Not sure what his buyout clause would be. Athletic generally don't like to sell to RM though.

Parejo has finally blossomed this year, although not until Pizzi took over. When he left Madrid and went to Getafe he had one incredible season and I think he really thought he would be brought back but instead RM sold him outright to Getafe. He had an ok second year at Getafe before Valencia bought him. His main problem at Valencia has been that he thought he was too good for them and basically never worked hard in training and thought they should just hand him a place in the XI. So he has struggled a great deal since going there. But he is 25 now, he seems to have his head on straight and Pizzi is getting the best out of him. He always had talent (Di Stefano said that he was the best player RM had produced in the last 20 years) but of course that is not enough.

Javi Garcia is a different sort of player altogether.

As far as Illarra, he has clearly had trouble adapting to Madrid. It's a different animal to la Real. If you saw him at all for la Real the money isn't completely unjustified. I think he can still make it. He has had some very good performances for RM and he's had some very poor ones. People like Super don't like him just for the fact that he is Spanish. But if a guy like Marcelo can be given 7 years in Madrid to prove that he (CAN'T) defend and even become a vice captain then I think it's safe to say that Illarra merits a bit more time. He's infinitely better than someone like Khedira and I actually think he plays better without Alonso so maybe he will shine in the CL final.
The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör on Fri May 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Jaime wrote:
The Pröfessör wrote:

Iturraspe is, of course, excellent. Not sure what his buyout clause would be. Athletic generally don't like to sell to RM though.

Parejo has finally blossomed this year, although not until Pizzi took over. When he left Madrid and went to Getafe he had one incredible season and I think he really thought he would be brought back but instead RM sold him outright to Getafe. He had an ok second year at Getafe before Valencia bought him. His main problem at Valencia has been that he thought he was too good for them and basically never worked hard in training and thought they should just hand him a place in the XI. So he has struggled a great deal since going there. But he is 25 now, he seems to have his head on straight and Pizzi is getting the best out of him. He always had talent (Di Stefano said that he was the best player RM had produced in the last 20 years) but of course that is not enough.

As far as Illarra, he has clearly had trouble adapting to Madrid. It's a different animal to la Real. If you saw him at all for la Real the money isn't completely unjustified. I think he can still make it. He has had some very good performances for RM and he's had some very poor ones. People like Super don't like him just for the fact that he is Spanish. But if a guy like Marcelo can be given 7 years in Madrid to prove that he (CAN'T) defend and even become a vice captain then I think it's safe to say that Illarra merits a bit more time. He's infinitely better than someone like Khedira and I actually think he plays better without Alonso so maybe he will shine in the CL final.

Cheers for the lengthy and informative reply  <Ale> 
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Jaime wrote:Gundogan is so overrated. He doesn't do any defensive work either so he would not be an exact replacement for Alonso.

Anyhow, it looks like Pepe is at best a doubt for the final. Big moment for Varane.
Gundogan is certainly not overrated. His performances last year in CL more than proves his qualities. But you are right that he is not an ideal partner to Modric if we persist with the current system. He is actually more like Modric.

We can survive Pepe being out though. Varane is capable enough. Di Maria being out is a bigger problem because Isco is a bit hit and miss although if we play 4-4-2 he fits in better than in a 4-3-3.

Jaime wrote:
The Pröfessör wrote:

That is nonesense. Being Spanish doesn't help in my book which I will gladly admit but I liked Parejo, De La Red and Javi Garcia(at Benfica) and a big fan of both Arbeloa and Alonso. I wanted Javi Martinez over Modric although I guess I won't get any credit since he is, in his own words, "the most German Spaniard". Biggrin 

The problem with Illarramendi is that he just isn't that talented. I could understand your support for him if he had a great talent or if he had shown more glimpses in his time at the club but I just don't see great upside to him. In contrast Marcelo had shown many times that he possessed a superb talent and he also showed he could defend under Carvalho. Since he has not been able to replicate that season and even if his defending has improved it is still not good enough. To make things worse he has forgotten to keep it simple in attack unlike Coentrao. The only reason I have supported Khedira is that he was the only Dm with physical strength we had but I have more than admitted that he is limited and that we needed somebody with sufficient technique and passing ability. Which reminds me that I would gladly take the SPANISH Martinez now that Guardiola doesn't like him. We could sell Khedira and Casemiro for him for all I care. Illarramendi might turn out to be a good player for when we need to pass out a game. But at the moment I don't see him taking over for Alonso who has learned the defensive side of the game and is much more talented a passer. Right now Alonso-Modric is a world class midfield but it is a pretty big drop in quality if Illarramendi takes over for Alonso.
Can you mention a single thing where Illarramendi excells btw?

Prof
Very glad to see Parejo finally delivering. Had high hopes for him and Javi Garcia but it never happened. It certainly took Parejo some time to get good so I don't feel too bad unlike with Mata for example.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Wink
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Sat May 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Question 
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon May 12, 2014 4:10 am

Super Progress wrote:Question 

Oh, I didn't even see your question there in the last post.

In what does Illarra excel?

Well, he excels at winning the ball back for the team. He recovered more balls, per minute played, than anyone on the team aside from Alonso. He is exceptionally good at keeping possession. He's not really shown it in Real Madrid, at least in part because he is playing in a much deeper role, but in la Real and with the Spanish U21s and U19s he showed excellent range of passing and the ability to make the through pass.

I'm convinced that his main problem is one of adaptation not one of ability because I've seen him give too many outstanding performances for la Real to think he's not a gifted player. Maybe he will ever adapt. As I've said on countless times in reference to multiple players - having talent isn't enough to succeed in Real Madrid.

Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Mon May 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Jaime wrote:

Well, he excels at winning the ball back for the team. He recovered more balls, per minute played, than anyone on the team aside from Alonso. He is exceptionally good at keeping possession. He's not really shown it in Real Madrid, at least in part because he is playing in a much deeper role, but in la Real and with the Spanish U21s and U19s he showed excellent range of passing and the ability to make the through pass.

I'm convinced that his main problem is one of adaptation not one of ability because I've seen him give too many outstanding performances for la Real to think he's not a gifted player. Maybe he will ever adapt. As I've said on countless times in reference to multiple players - having talent isn't enough to succeed in Real Madrid.
You really think he is exceptional? Considering he is supposed to be a ball playing midfielder he makes surprisingly few lateral passes. He generally seems to take the easy route with his passing. He seems rather insecure at times in a way you wouldn't expect. His constructive passes are few but at times good but I have yet to see evidence of exceptional ability with his passing and that is especially true with his range of passing.

I wonder what the other Real Madrid fans here think about Illarramendi?
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon May 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Super Progress wrote:
Jaime wrote:

You really think he is exceptional? Considering he is supposed to be a ball playing midfielder he makes surprisingly few lateral passes. He generally seems to take the easy route with his passing. He seems rather insecure at times in a way you wouldn't expect.  His constructive passes are few but at times good but I have yet to see evidence of exceptional ability with his passing and that is especially true with his range of passing.

I do. I'm not saying that he has shown this 100% of the time in RM but I'm serious. If you watched him at all with Real Sociedad you would know what I'm talking about. He has the ability to make combinations in small spaces to play out of trouble. He has the ability to switch the point of attack. He has the ability to play through passes. I've seen it. Just not consistently since moving to RM.
Cristiano

Post by Cristiano on Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 pm

Super Progress wrote:
Jaime wrote:

You really think he is exceptional? Considering he is supposed to be a ball playing midfielder he makes surprisingly few lateral passes. He generally seems to take the easy route with his passing. He seems rather insecure at times in a way you wouldn't expect.  His constructive passes are few but at times good but I have yet to see evidence of exceptional ability with his passing and that is especially true with his range of passing.

Personally I think he has been poor for us. However I don't think its because of a lack of ability its primarily a confidence thing. You can see that he is playing with anxiety. I think he deserves time.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon May 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Good news. Benzema should be fit for the CL final. Still no word on Pepe or Ronaldo.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Tue May 13, 2014 1:16 am

So there is a rift between Arbeloa and Casillas or what?

Based on their comments on the last days of the Mourinho era I'm guesing the split between came from the division in the dressingroom.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 pm