La Liga 2014/15 Season Thread

messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Re: La Liga 2014/15 Season Thread

Post by messiah on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:18 am

Murray wrote:Are Valencia ever going to finish their new stadium?

A part of the deal with the new owner, is a guarantee that he finishes the new stadium
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Marca published an article on the best XIs for all of the la liga teams. I think RM, FCB, and ATL are all pretty straight forward but it was interesting to see some of the other predicted XIs.

Valencia

---------------------D. Alves

Pereira------Otamendi------Mustafi------Gaya

------------A. Gomes-----Guardado

--------------------Parejo

Rodrigo-------------Alcacer-----------De Paul

Athletic

-------------------Iraizoz

Iraola------Gurpegi------Laporte------Balenziaga

------------Iturraspe-----M. Rico

I. Gomez-----------Beñat-------------Muniain

-------------------Aduriz

Real Sociedad

------------------------Zubikarai

Zaldua------M. Gonzalez------I. Martinez-------De la Bella

---------------------Markel

---------Granero---------------Pardo

--------------------Canales

-----Finnbogasen------------------C. Vela

Sevilla

-------------------Beto

Coke-------Pareja-------Fazio-------Moreno

I. Aspas----Krychowiak----Carrico----Vitolo

---------D. Suarez-----Bacca

Villarreal

----------------------Asenjo

Mario------Musacchio------Gabriel------Costa

Cani-----Bruno-----J. Dos Santos-----Cheryshev

-----------G. Dos Santos-----Uche

Interestingly 13 of the 20 teams have spent 1m euro or less on players this summer. Pretty bleak for most of the teams although Deportivo has some interesting players.

Real Sociedad look to be in trouble. For all the money they have brought in from player sales the last several years they really haven't invested all that much into the squad. I guess it will really depend on how well this Finnbogason guy does. Zubikarai is pretty shit though.

Sevilla's XI optimistically still includes Moreno. Still sounds like he is going to sign for Liverpool before the deadline.

Don't know about Guardado as a central midfield player but the back line looks decent and it's a pretty young, exciting attack with Rodrigo, Paco Alcacer and this new guy De Paul.

Herrera was great but I think Athletic will be fine. Beñat is still really good. It would have been a lot worse if they lost Laporte or Muniain. Still not convinced taht Gurpegui will be ahead of San Jose though.

Will be interesting to see especially as the 4th CL place is up for grabs.

http://www.marca.com/2014/08/11/futbol/1adivision/1407751974.html

Last edited by Jaime on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
messiah

Post by messiah on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:17 pm

that valencia XI looks pretty avarage to me, their new owner needs to get everything sort and start spending some money before the window closes.

Athletic are set, as is villarreal

I agree about Sociedad, are they paying of debts are something?

Sevilla is interesting, If Aspas can find his celta form and link up with Bacca that would be great for them, it remains to be seen how they will do with the rakitic replacement

Its between Atheltic and villarreal for 4th for me

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:49 pm

It's amazing how little money Spanish clubs spend yet the league remains the best in the world.
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Just trying to think about some of the youngsters that might make a splash in la liga this year so I made up a list of ones to watch.

1. José Luis Gayá (Valencia, left back). Well Jordi Alba left two years ago. His replacement, Juan Bernat departed for Bayern earlier this summer. So now we get to see Gayá. Valencia just keep turning out top quality left backs. Gayá has been a Spain international in all of the youth categories U17-U20. Made one appearance in the league last year against Atletico but there looks to be no question that he will be first choice this year at just 19 years old. Scored a nice goal against Benfica in the Emirates Cup the other day. Gets forward well but from what I've seen he's more reliable defensively than Alba or Bernat.

2. José Rodríguez (Deportivo, centre midfield). Same kid that made his debut under José a couple years ago in Copa del Rey while he was still playing in the Juvenil A team. Made the jump to Castilla last year but with them being relegated the club decided to send him on loan to Deportivo. He's been in Victor Fernandez's XI for most of the preseason although he only last 30 minutes in the last run out against Nacional after picking up an ankle injury. Good physique and willing to do the dirty work but he can play football as well. A real character as well. Was already one of the leaders of the Castilla team last year even though he was only 18. Will be interested to see what he can do in the top flight.

3. Aymeric Laporte (Athletic, centre back). Just turned 20 this past spring. Had an unbelievable first season for Athletic and became the automatic first choice for Valverde as a teenager. Great in the air, strong in the tackle. Could maybe improve his range of passing from the back but the kid has all the tools to become great. Will be interesting to see if he has a second season slump of any kind. I'm really hoping Athletic qualify for the CL group stages because I'd love to see him against CL level competition as well.

4. Saúl Ñíguez (Atletico, centre midfield). Still just 19. Was excellent on loan at Rayo last year and now will get a chance to compete for a place in Simeone's midfield. Great just sitting in front of the backline and winning the ball and then giving simple distribution. Really smart player. I think if he gets the minutes he will shine but it's going to be really tough competition with Gabi, Mario Suarez, and Tiago as well.

5. Luis Alberto (Málaga, attacking midfielder/winger). Well he got all hyped up after one very good season in Barcelona B in the Second Division. Goes to Liverpool and doesn't play for a year. He's back in Spain now with Málaga on loan for the year. He should feature a lot and so I think we'll really see if there is anything to him. He's got pretty good vision and a good shot on him as well. In preseason he has been playing a lot on the left but I hope he gets some time as a proper #10 because that is probably his best position.

6. Gerard Deulofeu (Barcelona, forward). Back in Spain after a pretty successful loan spell in Everton. The kid is insanely talented (even I will admit that!) but will he get any time on the pitch with Messi, Neymar, Suarez, and Pedro all in front of him? At 20 years old maybe another loan would have been the best situation for him. Rumours are that Luis Enrique has not been happy with the intensity of his training so that won't help his cause. Still, he if he can get on the pitch it would not be at all surprising if he makes an impact.

7. Denis Suárez (Sevilla, attacking midfielder). Big chance for him to show what he can do as he will have the chance to replace Rakitic. Another guy that is really really talented. Came up through Celta Vigo and then went to Man City for big bucks where he basically wasted two years of his life. Barcelona brought him back to Spain last term and had a good year with the B team. Now he will have to prove he can do it in the top flight as well. Really liked him playing as a false '9' for the Spain U19s with Jese and Deulofeu. Played deeper in midfield for Barcelona B. Looks like he will play just behind Carlos Bacca for Sevilla.

8. Álex Fernández (Espanyol, centre midfield). Younger brother of Nacho from Real Madrid. Really talented guy. Got a bit big for his britches demanding a first team contract with RM and when it was not granted he demanded a transfer. Made quite a few appearances last year for Espanyol but mostly as a sub. Looks like he has been having a good preseason though. Just turned 21 years old so he still has a big future. Box to box midfielder, can do a bit of everything. Ginger though so there's that...

9. Fede Cartabia (Córdoba, attacking midfielder/winger). Argentine winger. Showed some glimpses at Valencia last year now going on loan to Córdoba to get some minutes. He's got the pace and the tricks and can finish but he's really good in playing combinations with his colleagues in attack. Works really hard defensively as well. Can improve his crossing.

10. Paco Alcácer (Valencia, striker). Been talking about this guy for ages. Had a so-so season on loan at Getafe two years ago. Last year he was back at Valencia but mostly a sub. Looks like he's going to be the man this year. Smaller guy, the comparisons with David Villa are understandable. Six goals in twenty three appearances last year. A lot of pressure on the 20 year old but he's scored at every level for Spain so maybe this is the year he takes the next step.

Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:05 pm

So just for the sake of it, here is how the Atlético squad shapes up.

---------------------------------Oblak/Moyà

Juanfran/Gámez-----Miranda/Giménez-----Godín/Alderweireld-----Siqueira/Ansaldi

-----------------------Gabi/Tiago----M. Suárez/Saúl

Koke/??????-----------------Turan/R. García-------------Griezmann/C. Rodríguez

------------------------Mandžukić/R. Jiménez/L. Baptistão

Honestly that is a pretty damn good squad. It sounds like Simeone still wants to bring a player for the wings. At the beginning of summer it seemed like maybe they would try to get Sosa on a permanent deal. The latest rumour is Cerci. I don't really know how good he is but for a squad player he will probably work. Also a rumour that they might try to pay Reus's buyout. Shocked Will be interesting to see how Turan and Griezmann fit in. I haven't seen any of Atletico's preseason matches thus far. Last year of course Turan and Koke played as interiores in the wider positions in midfield. I've seen various schemes drawn up one where Griezmann plays as almost an out and out left winger (as above) with Turan playing as the #10. The other version is Turan staying out wide (or at least wider) and Griezmann playing as a second striker in more of a 4-4-2. My guess is that Cebolla Rodriguez, Leo Baptistao and now maybe Alderweireld will depart before end of the transfer window.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:56 pm

@stinger

I thought Krychowiak looked really good in the Super Cup. Very good passing, dictated play, tactically disciplined. Looks like he is first choice for Unai.
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Jaime wrote:The latest rumour is Cerci. I don't really know how good he is but for a squad player he will probably work.
For what it's worth I like him a lot.
Always thought he had a complete modern package (fast, robust and tall enough, decent dribble, good pass, great shot); IMHO he's also very intelligent in his movements. He's got the traditional dry effectiveness of italian wingers/seconde punte.

Two doubts on him:
he's got so few international experience and you have to wonder if the current level of Serie A and Azzurri makes him look better than he is;
and his attitude.
He took many seasons to establish himself as he tended to get loose and react with indifference when sidelined. He also rarely looked the part when subbing in.
Only at Torino he was able to respond consistently once he was given prominence.
Now at 27 he seems mature to stay at his best, but in Madrid he would be again a debutante squad player, so he'll be tested again.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 pm

abundance wrote:
Jaime wrote:The latest rumour is Cerci. I don't really know how good he is but for a squad player he will probably work.
For what it's worth I like him a lot.
Always thought he had a complete modern package (fast, robust and tall enough, decent dribble, good pass, great shot); IMHO he's also very intelligent in his movements. He's got the traditional dry effectiveness of italian wingers/seconde punte.

Two doubts on him:
he's got so few international experience and you have to wonder if the current level of Serie A and Azzurri makes him look better than he is;
and his attitude.
He took many seasons to establish himself as he tended to get loose and react with indifference when sidelined. He also rarely looked the part when subbing in.
Only at Torino he was able to respond consistently once he was given prominence.
Now at 27 he seems mature to stay at his best, but in Madrid he would be again a debutante squad player, so he'll be tested again.

Thanks for this! Sounds like a Simeone kind of player.

In other news, Peter Lim has officially bought Valencia.

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Sorry for being late.
Jaime wrote:@stinger

I thought Krychowiak looked really good in the Super Cup. Very good passing, dictated play, tactically disciplined. Looks like he is first choice for Unai.
Yeah, he was also praised by polish press. He is very solid player, but I am worried about his 1st team future with Banega arrival.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:13 pm

stinger wrote:Sorry for being late.
Jaime wrote:@stinger

Yeah, he was also praised by polish press. He is very solid player, but I am worried about his 1st team future with Banega arrival.

Looks to me like they could compliment each other nicely. Really Banega should have a completely free role (since he won't do any defending anyhow) and that would leave Krychowiak and Carrico in the double pivot behind him. Deulofeu and Reyes on the wings with Bacca or Gameiro down the middle. Could be really decent actually.

stinger

Post by stinger on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:19 pm

I am not a fan of Banega playing behind striker in 4-2-3-1. Ideally for him would be 4-3-3- with him as one of two CMs (and other one being a f'n runner), but I dont see this happening.
Calidad

Number of posts : 7996
Supports : Hibernian FC
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Post by Calidad on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:26 pm

stinger wrote:I am not a fan of Banega playing behind striker in 4-2-3-1. Ideally for him would be 4-3-3- with him as one of two CMs (and other one being a f'n runner), but I dont see this happening.

I agree. It's unfortunate that he's rather slow, because he would be perfect in the pivot role is he had a bit of pace. 4-3-3 is his best position, or alternatively, in a 4-2-3-1 he'd be in the pivot alongside someone who is defensively sound and athletic.

I think Suarez (judging from his pre-season hype) is nailed on to play behind the striker. Likely with Deulo one side and Vitolo the other. I also really like Jairo, so I hope he get's more minutes this season.
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Simeone GOD!

What a fighting spirit. Though, one shouldnt underrate their footballing qualities.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Atlético Madrid’s coach Diego Simeone banned for eight matches

The Spanish football federation has suspended the Atlético Madrid coach, Diego Simeone, for eight matches after he was sent off during the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup.

The federation announced its decision on Monday, three days after the Spanish champions beat Real Madrid 1-0 to win the Super Cup 2-1 on aggregate.

Simeone was suspended for four games for tapping the back of the linesman’s head, two games for protesting, one game for applauding his sending-off, and one game for remaining in the stands instead of leaving the stadium after his sending-off.

The assistant coach, Germán Burgos, will take over from Simeone while he serves his suspension.

Simeone was ejected in the 25th minute of the second leg at Vicente Calderón Stadium for dissent after he vociferously called for Juanfran Torres to be allowed back on the pitch after he had been treated on the sidelines. The defender had received treatment for a cut on his lip that had bloodied his shirt and was waiting to go back on the pitch.

Simeone told the media before Monday’s opening La Liga game against Rayo Vallecano: ‘“What happened the other day is a closed issue. Reiterating and talking about the same thing is not good. The people who have to make a decision will do what they believe to be fair.

“When one makes a mistake it’s fair to pay for it.”

Addressing the possibility of Burgos having to take over on the touchline, Simeone said: ““We’ll try to find the best way to communicate. Germán has the capacity and confidence; it gives me peace of mind that we understand football in the same way. He will sit on the bench and I will see it from another place.”

Fey

Post by Fey on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Just read it as well...8 games..that is bullshit. If you get 2 games for protesting, no coach would be on the sideline, ever.

Still, 8 games of German Burgers at the helm is good fun though.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Fey wrote:Just read it as well...8 games..that is bullshit. If you get 2 games for protesting, no coach would be on the sideline, ever.

Still, 8 games of German Burgers at the helm is good fun though.

cheers

stinger

Post by stinger on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:53 am

Very happy with the Villarreal start to the league - Levante seems really weak this season (for sure relegation candidate), but it was really a dominant performance and it should end with more than 2:0. And it was after long trip to Astana as well.

Squad looks better than last season and at the moment it looks like Musacchio won't be sold as well, his partnership with Victor Ruiz (loaned from Valencia, its like end of the world...) looks very promising on paper. It's also interesting to see all Balkan players at El Madrigal, after Jokic and Pantic arrivals last year now Rukavina looks solid, even if Mario Gaspar was very good last season as RB too.

I don't remember watching Cheryshev before this summer and he looks good, offering outlet on left wing and getting behind the fullbacks. Bruno and Cani looks healthy again and Espinosa (who will be mostly playing out wide) + Trigueros offers plenty of flair in the midfield.  Getting Jonathan dos Santos going (Villarreal really depends on Bruno staying healthy and cards free) would be very, very helpful too. In general squad depth looks good if injury free, I am impressed how Villarreal bounced back in no time from their relegation building quality and yet much cheaper team comparing to a few years back.

With Gio, Uche and Vietto scoring goals shouldn't be a problem as well.

Last thing - Marcelino maybe isn't expecting such a physically demanding style like Valverde did a few years ago (which failed miserably), but with him Villarreal is playing significantly more quicker than with Pellegrini/Garrido. And since he has a younger, hungrier and more athletic squad than it was a few years ago team reacts much better to it.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:06 pm

stinger wrote:Very happy with the Villarreal start to the league - Levante seems really weak this season (for sure relegation candidate), but it was really a dominant performance and it should end with more than 2:0. And it was after long trip to Astana as well.

Squad looks better than last season and at the moment it looks like Musacchio won't be sold as well, his partnership with Victor Ruiz (loaned from Valencia, its like end of the world...) looks very promising on paper. It's also interesting to see all Balkan players at El Madrigal, after Jokic and Pantic arrivals last year now Rukavina looks solid, even if Mario Gaspar was very good last season as RB too.

I don't remember watching Cheryshev before this summer and he looks good, offering outlet on left wing and getting behind the fullbacks. Bruno and Cani looks healthy again and Espinosa (who will be mostly playing out wide) + Trigueros offers plenty of flair in the midfield.  Getting Jonathan dos Santos going (Villarreal really depends on Bruno staying healthy and cards free) would be very, very helpful too. In general squad depth looks good if injury free, I am impressed how Villarreal bounced back in no time from their relegation building quality and yet much cheaper team comparing to a few years back.

Last thing - Marcelino maybe isn't expecting such a physically demanding style like Valverde did a few years ago (which failed miserably), but with him Villarreal is playing significantly more quicker than with Pellegrini/Garrido. And since he has a younger, hungrier and more athletic squad than it was a few years ago team reacts much better to it.

The one I quite like is Moi Gomez. He's really talented imo. Will be interesting to see if they can make a push for 4th. With Sevilla losing Fazio now, that's kind of a blow.

stinger

Post by stinger on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Jaime wrote:
stinger wrote:Very happy with the Villarreal start to the league - Levante seems really weak this season (for sure relegation candidate), but it was really a dominant performance and it should end with more than 2:0. And it was after long trip to Astana as well.

The one I quite like is Moi Gomez. He's really talented imo. Will be interesting to see if they can make a push for 4th. With Sevilla losing Fazio now, that's kind of a blow.
Moi Gomez definitely looks like good prospect, already plenty of games last season and he should see some action this season as well.
There's one more talented winger in squad - Nahuel Leiva, but he's still only 17 years old.
If Marcelino will find a balance in squad to cope with Europe League demands I think (hope) 4th can be possible. But like you had written earlier when presenting line-ups - Athletic Bilbao seems ready also.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:09 pm

I think between Athletic, Villarreal, Sevilla, Valencia there is a really intriguing battle for 4th place.
Fey

Post by Fey on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Well, Griezmann was utterly dissapointing for Atletico yesterday.

stinger

Post by stinger on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Very disappointed in Marcelino, who decided to park the bus against Villarreal. Blaugrana won 1:0 thanks to late goal scored by Sandro Ramirez, following a good work by Neymar and Messi. Munir and Rafinha were in starting XI, both were poor though.

Barca still doesn't know how to attack opposite's bus, but at least pressing and intensity is back. Villarreal had a rough time trying to complete a few passes.
Cristiano

Number of posts : 2557
Supports : Real Madrid
Favourite Player : Zidane, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Ozil, David Silva, Guti, Hierro, Valeron, Pirlo,
Registration date : 2007-01-09

Post by Cristiano on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:34 pm

Arbeloa and Khedira on from the bench to save the day Laughing
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:37 am

Not bad Biggrin

stinger

Post by stinger on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Enjoyed watching today's Villarreal - Rayo match.

Despite lackluster 1st half (when I was worried about Europe League hangover) Yellow Submarine won 4:2. Vietto scored his first 2 goals in Primera and Jonathan dos Santos was very good for last 20 minutes. Athletic and mobile CM who can really pass (had two passes in build up for 3rd and 4th goals) will be really useful and when his fitnes will get better (he is coming back after injury) he can fight with Trigueros (who is usually good as well) for starting XI place. Too bad both lack size, so still a lot will depend on Bruno and he will rarely get rest (Pina is painfully average replacement).

Biggest worry for Villarreal right now are injuries for both left backs, not sure how long you can get away with playing 17 years old kid there from 2nd team. Also Cani seems to be struggling when have to support his full back, which is a big problem when Villarreal keeps playing their fluid and dynamic 4-4-2.

Also, plenty of noise in polish press about Krychowial start for his Sevilla career. He seems to be adjusting very wel for Primera demands.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Really shocked to see how Valencia and Sevilla have turned things around. They have been so shit for so long. I think it's a little early for Marca's declaration that it is now a "League of 5" but it's nice that they aren't complete pushovers. Alcacer looks to be the real deal.

stinger

Post by stinger on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Very mixed after Villarreal performance today against Real. I didn't expect points really and I liked Marcelino's more attacking approach than it was against Barcelona. And some of build ups was just amazing to watch, Cani for example seems to love playing against Real, as he always finds space to operate between the lines.
But really disappointed that with all the chances created they weren't able to score at least once.

At least Gio is back, but now big worry is about Musacchio.

Not really impressed with Real defending today. Not many teams have a flair and movement like Villarreal, but Real defense was lost many times.
messiah

Post by messiah on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 pm

how many goals have barca conceded so far?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:55 am