[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 
[ 2 ]
10% [10%] 

Total Votes: 20
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Who is going to be the champions?

Post by Luis on Fri May 30, 2014 3:56 pm

I've put the obvious names on there (though some you can argue have very little chance on that list...)

Feel free to choose someone else and tell us WHO?
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Who is going to be the champions?

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri May 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Uruguay.
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey on Fri May 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Brazil, play at home, and nike wants it, otherwise the favela is gonna riot.

Spain has the best squad though, infact, Argentina has perhaps a better squad as well.
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Fri May 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Argentina for me: Messi, Aguero, Lavezzi, Zaba, Masch, Di Maria.

Plenty of quality, conditions right for them and they're slightly under the radar right now as well. Piss easy group.

Wierd that Maxi Rodriguez gets in the squad though, must be getting on a bit!
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Fri May 30, 2014 4:25 pm

I was just talking to a couple of Argentine mates over the weekend and they said they have no confidence in any of the defenders (except Zabaleta) or the goalkeepers. They said it would be a miracle if they win.
Fey

Post by Fey on Fri May 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Strange, to me, they are now more balanced then ever before. Sure they lack a class goalie, but look at Brazil, they never really had a good goalie in my lifetime and still won a lot. About time they are gonna show something, since I started footie they hardly done better then the Englandz.
Luis

Post by Luis on Fri May 30, 2014 4:38 pm

Jaime wrote:I was just talking to a couple of Argentine mates over the weekend and they said they have no confidence in any of the defenders (except Zabaleta) or the goalkeepers. They said it would be a miracle if they win.

Defence is the weakness but would they try Mascherano at the back? Banega and Gago in the midfield.

If they get their attacking side right they can just out score anyone - Aguero will no doubt have fitness issues though.

BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Fri May 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Jaime wrote:I was just talking to a couple of Argentine mates over the weekend and they said they have no confidence in any of the defenders (except Zabaleta) or the goalkeepers. They said it would be a miracle if they win.

agreed

they have sh!t defenders and a midfield who won't protect them.

They need Samuel + Zanetti + Cambiasso.
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Fri May 30, 2014 4:40 pm

argentina could do things with Willy in goal, but zero chance without him. Zabelta and garay are good defenders, but they needed a stud goalkeeper to make up for the other two. sabella like all the other coaches before him, has chosen his favourites though, and it continues to hold back argentina

the midfield is solid and the attack in second to none, so they should be fit to score at least one goal per game and in a competition like the WC that should be enough, but only with a good defense.

Argentina are my time, but i hope they go out to a mistake by the keeper, just so sebella can be shot.

messiah

Post by messiah on Fri May 30, 2014 4:43 pm

the midfield does infact protect them, to say that means one hasn't watch many of the games.

gago and masch just set back the entire game, gago gets it and releases to di maria/messi, the same way busquets does for barca and then gets back in position

the problem is they play with no natural width and it needs to come from the fullbacks, so if a team hit them on the counter at the right moment, they will have space to exploit.

fazio should have been there as well
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri May 30, 2014 4:44 pm

spain/germany/brazil/Uruguay will win it
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Fri May 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Caballero really should be going. Even Speroni would be better than any of the GKs picked.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 30, 2014 4:44 pm

messiah wrote:spain/germany/brazil/Uruguay will win it

THAT'S CHEATING PICK ONE!!!!!
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Spain won't win it. Of course I said that at the last Euro and they ended up repeating. Just doesn't seem like things are going to plan at the moment with the injuries and so the squad is really unsettled, even Del Bosque doesn't seem certain of who to pick and it's the already the eleventh hour.

Uruguay winning would be great.

But I think it's Brazil's to lose. Even though it's not a great team and none of the attackers would have got close to the squad 10-20 years ago they are very efficient and they will just dominate their way on set pieces to the final.

My darkhorse is Portugal though. If Ronaldo is fit, he's been in such outstanding form all year I think they have enough in the team to make some noise. They could be a spoiler.
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Fri May 30, 2014 4:52 pm

If Portugal play Quaresma, then they might have a chance. Otherwise, it will be the usual for them. Ronaldo won't do anything without Modric/Di Maria/Alonso creating chances for him.
Luis

Post by Luis on Fri May 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Portugal have no chance; one player doesn't win you the tournament and as good as Ronaldo is, when things are going wrong his selfishness seems to crank up a notch. Their group is quite tricky as well.

I would say England has a better chance than Portugal.
Fey

Post by Fey on Fri May 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Confidence in Holland is low it seems, they still have the best coach out there so who knows.. Smile
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri May 30, 2014 5:00 pm

If i were to pick one, it would be spain, the only issue i had with them was their motivation and if this was a year where barca won something big, they would have zero chance.

Now real has won the CL, which has alonso and ramos on cloud 9 and super motivated

the barca players feel they have something to prove, which makes them motivated

then you through in the atletico players who will bring their enthusiasm to the squad

and you have the most talented squad at the world cup by far, brusting at the seems with enthusiasm for varying reasons
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri May 30, 2014 5:02 pm

i don't think ronaldo has been all that good this year, his numbers are inflated and covers up his dip in form like messi.

his 17 goals in the CL for example took like 150+ shots if I remember correctly.

plus he always disapears when the going gets tough, because he wants to win the game his self
Murray

Number of posts : 10192

Post by Murray on Fri May 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Argentina would be favourites if they had a decent defence. But they do have the easiest draw with all their games in the colder south.
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri May 30, 2014 5:27 pm

yeah looking at the draw i can see argentina making at least the SF even with that defense, if their attack clicks
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 30, 2014 5:38 pm

All I'm saying is...watch out for Portugal. Biggrin
The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör on Fri May 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Gonzalo, Garay, Demichelis, Mussachio should be good enough for them to choose from. With Willy in goal and Zaba at RB, I would say LB is their only weak spot.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 30, 2014 5:50 pm

The Pröfessör wrote:
Gonzalo, Garay, Demichelis, Mussachio should be good enough for them to choose from. With Willy in goal and Zaba at RB, I would say LB is their only weak spot.

But Sabella hasn't called Gonzalo or Musacchio or Willy. Demichelis is shit.
The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör on Fri May 30, 2014 5:53 pm

Oh well the coach fucked up.

Don't you think Demichelis was pretty solid for City in the 2nd half of the season despite the press ridiculing him? I personally think he was more solid than Kompany, lacks pace though.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Fri May 30, 2014 5:54 pm

I think Brazil and their PGD will win the day, Spain will bomb and if a challenge comes from Europe it will be the crafty krauts.
Fey

Post by Fey on Fri May 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Im fairly sure the entire WC will be another "Game of Progress" fest, not just the Brazilians.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri May 30, 2014 6:02 pm

The Pröfessör wrote:
Oh well the coach fucked up.

Don't you think Demichelis was pretty solid for City in the 2nd half of the season despite the press ridiculing him? I personally think he was more solid than Kompany, lacks pace though.

But I think that was more do to Kompany being exceptionally poor than anything else. I've watched Demichelis for a long time and I'm pretty comfortable in saying that he is awful. Nicolas Pareja, Federico Fazio, Juan Forlin, Musacchio (as you mentioned) would have all been better than Demichelis.
messiah

Post by messiah on Fri May 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Musacchio and Fazio should certainly have been called up with willy, then as prof said LB would be their only weakeness.

with that and a bit of luck that all teams needs to win these things, argentina would have as good a chance as any
Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges on Fri May 30, 2014 6:06 pm

In '08 I thought Spain should probably prove they could make a semi-final before being considered true contenders; in '10 I thought they were nailed on to win it, shoulda put money on; two years ago I stupidly refused to believe they'd do it again. Not about to make that mistake again, notwithstanding the ageing Xavi.

I'm inclined to think despite the likes of Holland, Italy, Uruguay, France and Portugal it feels bound to come from one of the top four favourites. Argentina has the defence/lack of issue (why is Willy not in the squad, indeed?), Brazil will probably be everyone else's favourites but my heart, probably erroneously, insists they lack a bit of real quality. I hear you Jaime and it is a relief to hear not all is perfect with the squad, despite the spectacular club success, but things are far worse still with Germany; no Gündogan, neither Bender, both Schweinsteiger and Khedira unfit and unconvincing, no solution up front unless Miro at 36 (!) turns it on yet again – the balance (and as of May, the form, with the exception of Reus) is all wrong, despite the embarrassment of riches in attacking midfield, and we are reliant on a lot suddenly clicking in a very short space of time (like last time, you could say, on the positive side).

Ultimately Spain, when the chips are down, are still the hardest to beat and have the ultimate edge in quality, as much as it galls me to admit it. Simply preposterous, outrageous knockout record over the last three tournaments (no goals conceded?!?). One of these days they will crack, maybe this time – maybe not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:17 am