2014 World Cup - Group Stages

S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Re: 2014 World Cup - Group Stages

Post by S4P on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:21 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:I personally think Italy will win their first game – we are stronger than the English. They still remember the beating we gave them in the Euros.

“That game went to penalties, but we completely dominated that match.

Such a load of bull shit. Italy were humiliated by Spain in the final, yet it clearly hadn't affected them going into the Confederations Cup semi-final the next year (a game they probably should have won)
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:37 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:
Stupid idea. England will get tired from chasing the ball. Ball retention is key in those conditions, and it's something England have struggled with for years.

Contrary to popular belief, ball retention does not really save energy, being pro active and to act is exhausting under those conditions. Hence why it's so important to find the right balance in this tournament.

England will get tired from chasing the ball if they try to press hard. Good teams like Italy can not be "pressed to death", they have the technical ability to escape that press and punish the other team with a precise long ball and quick counter.

Defending deep for periods of time to save energy and frustrate the opponent is the key. The team has to be flexible, it has to be able to change the tempo of the game, not to be one dimensional. The team that manages to do that best will win this WC.
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Can't wait for Spain v Holland, England v Italy, Germany v Portugal as its great to see these teams playing each other 1st rather than in potentially dead rubber final games.

The opening game between Portugal and Germany in 2012 was very tight and its not inconceivable that Portugal could nick a 1-0 (always the worst defence in qualifiers, always the best in the tournaments over the last ten years - or so it seems).

Then we only need a winner in Ghana v USA and the Krauts are in real trouble.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Chile and Japan in this world cup.

I suppose football is striking the balance between having the best team and great individuals - Chile seem like the best team in the truest sense of the word but such a tough group and could face Brazil 2nd round.

Japan have great continuity and we could see 8 or 9 of the starting XI from 2011 Asian Cup final starting so its a group who are in the habit of not losing together.

Centre backs are much weaker this world cup IMO but Kagawa is one of the 2/3 changes from 2011 and they may be like Portugal where they can look weak defensively in qualifiers where they are favourites and have to make the game but look tighter in games against the big guns where they can sit back a bit more - Confed was very bad for them but I thought Brazil would win 2010 based on 2009 confed   Neutral
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:41 pm

I have Portugal as my dark horses in this tournament, together with Chile. Not primarily because of Ronaldo, but rather their strong defence and ability to cope with the climatic challenges.

Germany have the toughest group, so that scenario isn't far fetched.
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:56 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:I have Portugal as my dark horses in this tournament, together with Chile. Not primarily because of Ronaldo, but rather their strong defence and ability to cope with the climatic challenges.

Germany have the toughest group, so that scenario isn't far fetched.

Shit that Reus is out but its a strong area of the pitch for Germany at least.
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:57 pm

It seems Colombia have slipped under the radar a bit, like Pierre I look forward to CHile and Japan as well.
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Also, how shit was Moyes...given the amount of internationals

Bayern Munich14
Manchester United14
Barcelona13
Chelsea12
Juventus12
Napoli12
Real Madrid12
Arsenal10
Liverpool10
Manchester City10
Paris Saint-Germain10
Atlético Madrid9
Porto9
Internazionale8
Milan8
Zenit Saint Petersburg8

England delivers the most internationals.
England119
Italy83
Germany77
Spain65
France45
Russia34
Mexico26
Turkey26
Portugal22
United States21
Netherlands20
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:48 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/08/cameroon-squad-refuse-travel-brazil

Africans Rolling Eyes
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Rosicky wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/08/cameroon-squad-refuse-travel-brazil

Africans Rolling Eyes

Almost all of them play at a decent level in Europe, greedy c**ts.
Murray

Number of posts : 10197

Post by Murray on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Has Pele predicted who is going to win the World Cup yet?
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Murray wrote:Has Pele predicted who is going to win the World Cup yet?

He didn't predict a single winner, but talked about a group of favourites, including Chile. Then I guess Chile are out before the second round.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:52 pm

According to Blazevic, Croatia coach in 1998, Croatia has the best midfield in the world at the moment and he's sure they won't lose to Brazil on Thursday. I hope he's wrong.   pale 

http://espn.uol.com.br/blogs/pauloviniciuscoelho#/1
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:55 pm

He's talking nonsense. But Croatia could frustrate Brazil, their style doesn't suit your team. Brazil will win their group though, no worries.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:15 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:He's talking nonsense. But Croatia could frustrate Brazil, their style doesn't suit your team. Brazil will win their group though, no worries.

I agree they can beat us. We played Serbia on Friday and could very well have lost.
ERIK LAMELA

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm tipping Chile to knock Brazil out.
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Chile are the hipsters favourite since Belgium went mainstream.

Gaucho, do you sport a beard, thick rimmed glasses and skinny jeans by any chance?
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Nothing to do with hipsters, they're really good. But Vidal is knackered, they can't replace him if he doesn't get fit in time.

Another factor speaking against them is that their highly energetic style isn't suited to the weather conditions, especially in the hot & humid areas in the north.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Isco Benny wrote:Chile are the hipsters  favourite since Belgium went mainstream.

Gaucho, do you sport a beard,  thick rimmed glasses and burgandy skinny jeans by any chance?

ok
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:57 pm

This is old prolly, 2012?, but I love this pic.

Talkin bout differences in styles...

Italy vs England:
Code:
sunglasses.................. 13-0
long hair.................... 8-0
untidy beard................. 4-0
ass-backward placement...... 20-0
It's a no-contest =D

Btw, we're having a party down here for our debut match, any suggestion for english footie themed dinner/snacks and brand of beer?
Dunno, fish n chips and Carling?
Something simple to source and/or prepare possibly.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Isco Benny wrote:Chile are the hipsters  favourite since Belgium went mainstream.

Gaucho, do you sport a beard,  thick rimmed glasses and skinny jeans by any chance?
I thought for sure that Chile were the hipster team of 2010.

The biggest problem with Chile will be that they share the typical Bielsa weakness of squandering chances, only they are even worse than that. It is quite remarkable. I have long thought that creating too many chances isn't necessarily a good thing although I'm obviously biased towards that thought. Their game against Australia could be one of the highlights of the group stages if Australia allows them as much as much space as they are they are slated to.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Fucks sake I've drawn Costa Rica in my work draw  Rolling Eyes 
Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Super Progress wrote:

Gaucho, do you sport a beard,  thick rimmed glasses and skinny jeans by any chance?
I thought for sure that Chile were the hipster team of 2010.

The biggest problem with Chile will be that they share the typical Bielsa weakness of squandering chances, only they are even worse than that. It is quite remarkable. I have long thought that creating too many chances isn't necessarily a good thing although I'm obviously biased towards that thought. Their game against Australia could be one of the highlights of the group stages if Australia allows them as much as much space as they are they are slated to.

Nah, the krauts were the hipsters tipple of choice in 2010, what with the metro sexual wonder kids and a league that you could only watch if you stayed up really late at night.

Thankfully everybody's back to hating the krauts due to Bayern's dominant cuntdom in the last few years.

blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:06 pm

As long as Germany isn't winning anything, everybody, not just hipsters, will continue to "love" their "swashbuckling" style. But once they start winning again, they're the evil villains, no matter how stylish they won.

The only reason why Holland were everybody's second team when they still played something that resembled football. Or Spain. Hypocrites.

mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 am

I've just met my dealer cause tomorrow I won't work. He said he earned a small fortune today selling coke to the Croats, who are scattered around the city with their tablecloth shirts.  Ale 
ERIK LAMELA

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:44 am

Isco Benny wrote:Chile are the hipsters favourite since Belgium went mainstream.

Gaucho, do you sport a beard, thick rimmed glasses and skinny jeans by any chance?

I can't grow a beard, but the last two are true.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:45 am

blutgraetsche wrote:As long as Germany isn't winning anything, everybody, not just hipsters, will continue to "love" their "swashbuckling" style. But once they start winning again, they're the evil villains, no matter how stylish they won.

The only reason why Holland were everybody's second team when they still played something that resembled football. Or Spain. Hypocrites.

Nah, people didn't like Germany because they were a stain on the eyes and soul. They were good back in 70s I'm sure,  but most of us aren't  old decrepit  dinosaurs,  we spritelier folk instead remember them boring/cheating their way to winning in 90 and 96 like a team of humourless ginger robots. The horrible kits were the turd flavoured icing on an already inedible shit tasting cake. Bollocks it had anything to do with winning. It was like watching 11 workers from the death star. Nothing stylish  about those teams in that period until  2006. Win it now and few would grumble too hard because at least Germany no longer represents the darkness in which the light of humanity cannot hope to survive.

Stefan Kuntz Ale
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:21 am

Wow, you couldn't have used more clichés if you tried.

robots check
boring check
humourless check
darkness check

No wonder a generation of fans has grown up in England that knows fuck all about football, but all about clichés.

One statistic to make everything you said null and void:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_table_of_the_FIFA_World_Cup

Please take a look at the number of goals scored and conceded. q.e.d.
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:46 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Please take a look at the number of goals scored and conceded. q.e.d.
That is like the Visitors faking human skin
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 am

Numbers don't lie, especially not over such a long time span. You can't be the second highest scoring team and the team that conceded the most goals by playing dull, boring, uninspired, or whatever the fuck you want to use as a cliché, football.

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:29 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Wow, you couldn't have used more clichés if you tried.

robots check
boring check
humourless check
darkness check

No wonder a generation of fans has grown up in England that knows fuck all about football, but all about clichés.

One statistic to make everything you said null and void:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_table_of_the_FIFA_World_Cup

Please take a look at the number of goals scored and conceded. q.e.d.

Whilst I do agree with the general point you're making, England are above Spain in that table  Shocked .

So England are one of the big 5  Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 am