2014 World Cup - Group Stages

blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Re: 2014 World Cup - Group Stages

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 am

The table itself is meaningless or rather academic, it only shows how consistent teams have been over the years, it doesn't necessarily mean that the teams should be ranked as such. Of course it's titles that really count.

The statistics are useful though.
S4P

Number of posts : 14358
Supports : Chelsea
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:34 am

110% wrote:
blutgraetsche wrote:Wow, you couldn't have used more clichés if you tried.

robots check
boring check
humourless check
darkness check

No wonder a generation of fans has grown up in England that knows fuck all about football, but all about clichés.

One statistic to make everything you said null and void:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_table_of_the_FIFA_World_Cup

Please take a look at the number of goals scored and conceded. q.e.d.

Whilst I do agree with the general point you're making, England are above Spain in that table  Shocked .

So England are one of the big 5  Very Happy 

Why are you surprised that England are above Spain, a nation that have only made it to the semi finals once in their history?

It is more surprising, in my opinion, to see us above the Netherlands

110%

Number of posts : 8978
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:28 pm

S4P wrote:
110% wrote:

robots check
boring check
humourless check
darkness check

No wonder a generation of fans has grown up in England that knows fuck all about football, but all about clichés.

Whilst I do agree with the general point you're making, England are above Spain in that table  Shocked .

So England are one of the big 5  Very Happy 

Why are you surprised that England are above Spain, a nation that have only made it to the semi finals once in their history?

It is more surprising, in my opinion, to see us above the Netherlands

Mainly because of how bad everyone seems to portray the England team, they've done all right over the years.

110%

Post by 110% on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Here is a quiz to see who you're secretly supporting:
http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/quiz/which-country-are-you-secretly-supporting-at-the-world-cup/

I got Germany  Very Happy 
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:25 pm

robots check
boring check
humourless check
darkness check

Using statistics to counter a point based on aesthetics check.

You are adding to the cliche Blutty , "I vill show you ze numbers!" lol!

Firstly, I was talking specifically about the period in which my generation grew up (circa 88 onwards).

Secondly, here is Jose Mourinho telling the World he presided over the greatest team in Real Madrid's history, basing it on stats: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2013/10/05/4313772/mourinho-i-coached-the-best-real-madrid-side-in-history. I think we can all agree watching Real Madrid under Mourinho was hardly awe inspiring despite record number of goals scored or points won. Anyone who truly equates stats as the measure of a team's aesthetic quality (which cannot be measured by pithy numbers) obviously doesn't really get why football is so much more popular than baseball Ale

blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Madrid under Mourinho scored a lot, but they didn't concede so many.

The whole point of that statistic is this: only a team that takes risks and hence is pro-active (most of the time) scores a lot of goals and concedes many. Throughout history, Germany has been one of the most adventurous, "swashbuckling", high scoring teams that played a risky style of football, not a cautious one. The stats don't lie. Even during the periods in which teams were more defensive in general, e.g. the 1980s and 1990s, Germany were amongst the more pro active teams.

It's a MYTH that Germany has been particularly defensive or has a history of defensive football. This is simply untrue and has never been the case. We may have had great defenders in the past, but we don't have a "defensive" identity. The Bundesliga has been the highest scoring league for God knows how long. I'd even say that if we had a tradition of defensive football like the Italians, for example, we would have been even more successful over the years. We used to lack in the tactical department for long periods of time, particularly in the defensive organisation. Hence why Germany / Bundesliga teams were so late in introducing zonal marking and a back four, for example.
Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:51 pm

You scored 8 goals against Saudi Arabia in 2002 World Cup. Were you a swashbuckling side in that tournament? It's the same argument Liverpool fans use when trying to tell everyone that they were an attacking fun team to warships under Rafa. Again though, between 88 and 06 there was nothing I or many of my generation witnessed to suggest Germany equated to swashbuckling adventure. Cliches generally stem from some swell of popular shared opinion. It's a cliche to consider Germany aesthetically unpleasant these days because they aren't. Probably true pre 88 as well. During that time though, it was like watching Satan's army wrestling control of everything good in the world and laying a big fiery shit on it. Freddie Bobic Ale
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:00 pm

The last time Germany won the WC in 1990, a WC that was epitome of defensive football, Germany were still one of the most attacking teams, as could be seen in the opener against Yugoslavia. In a tournament when Argentina fouled and defended their way to the final that is, Argentina, the "great entertainers". The 1988 team wasn't exactly defensive either, same for the other teams of that generation up to 1996. Satan's army? Because they made your beloved England cry, I guess.

1998 - 2004 didn't have the quality to be great entertainers, but they still entertained, even if not intentionally most of the time.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:06 pm

I have to side with Blut on this. That 1990 team was relentless in attack in the opening round. And they did the same in the 1/8 finals against Holland. They only scored twice but Klinsmann hit the wood work 2-3 times in that game and there were plenty of chances. Same against Czechoslovakia in the 1/4 finals. It was a very open game and the Czech goalkeeper really kept the score at only 1-0. More woodwork in the semifinal against England and well, Argentina refused to play in the final which made it difficult for the Germans. I definitely consider that a "swashbuckling" team.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Your tactics are reminiscent of the Iraqi Minister Of information during the second gulf war. "what you see with your eyes is not true". No worries, you think it's all propoganda based on a sour Englishmans perspective. Let's call it a draw and move on.
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Jaime wrote:I have to side with Blut on this.
Well, of course.

Those other blokes are obviously trolling poor Blut with that nonsense.
Either that, or they're english.
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:10 pm

People troll on this board??????? Shocked
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:21 pm

So you both think Germany were swashbuckling between 90 and 06?

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:25 pm

If Brazil don't score early, the world will start to realize that playing at home may not be a big advantage. The crowd will be quiet and the atmosphere will be tense.

I'm also afraid Brazil's lack of creativity will be exposed. I expect problems in the transition between defence and attack. Brazil miss a central midfielder with great passing like Modric, Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, etc. Paulinho is great going forward, but his passing is not very good. If Croatia use pressure marking in the middle of the pitch and tightly mark the full backs, there will be dozens of back passes to the central defenders and Júlio César.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Croatia's midfield 3 is boss. But if Brazil press them like they did Spain in final of last year's confed cup then they should be fine, better everywhere else. 3-1 Brazil perdiktion.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:09 pm

What in the fuck was that ITV.
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians

Post by mongrel hawk on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:If Brazil don't score early, the world will start to realize that playing at home may not be a big advantage. The crowd will be quiet and the atmosphere will be tense.

I'm also afraid Brazil's lack of creativity will be exposed. I expect problems in the transition between defence and attack. Brazil miss a central midfielder with great passing like Modric, Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, etc. Paulinho is great going forward, but his passing is not very good. If Croatia use pressure marking in the middle of the pitch and tightly mark the full backs, there will be dozens of back passes to the central defenders and Júlio César.

good analysis. I feel the same.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Isco Benny wrote:So you both think Germany were swashbuckling between 90 and 06?

I would say at least between 90-96. Maybe even through 98 although by that time the conveyor belt was starting to malfunction culminating in the complete and utter HUMILIATION against Croatia.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 pm

J-Lo was embarassing. No voice, no charisma, no style, just a fat ass.
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians

Post by mongrel hawk on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:26 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:J-Lo was embarassing. No voice, no charisma, no style, just a fat ass.

I like a fat ass.  ok 
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:27 pm

You're Brazilian. ok
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:29 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
blutgraetsche wrote:J-Lo was embarassing. No voice, no charisma, no style, just a fat ass.

I like a fat ass.  ok 

ok
Antarion

Number of posts : 3374
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Slowly getting into World Cup mode

110%

Post by 110% on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Otto must be thinking Brazil are going to win the world cup, when they all sang the national anthem, and even an extra verse after the official music had stopped

110%

Post by 110% on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:02 pm

And it's on!!!!
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:03 pm

I thought there was going to be a disabled fella kicking things off?
Antarion

Number of posts : 3374
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:04 pm

110% wrote:Otto must be thinking Brazil are going to win the world cup, when they all sang the national anthem, and even an extra verse after the official music had stopped

Smile 

Setting a high standard already, aren't they?
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:08 pm

As expected, Croatia looking lively and making things difficult for Brazil.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Brazil's main weakness, their central midfield lacking craft and finesse, exposed by Croatia.

Ouch Marcelo. 0-1

110%

Post by 110% on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Marcelo!!!!

Very Happy 

No tears though

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content