2014 World Cup - Group Stages

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup - Group Stages

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 am

Fey wrote:If only Bielsa was still around to coach them. Best Argie squad I have seen in my life. Together with van Gaal and Pep part of the best coaches in the world!

They would be fun to watch, but with average defenders and central midfielders they would struggle to keep possession and would leave lot of room for counter attack. After 24 years without reaching the semifinals, argies only care about winning...like pragmatic brazilians in 1994.
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:31 am

I think Brazil and Argentina are in a similar situation: both didn't play well against Eastern European teams; both won; both depended on their craques to win.
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:26 am

Japanese fans stay behind to clean stadium after World Cup loss

http://www.inquisitr.com/1301182/japanese-fans-behind-stay-to-clean-up-stadium-after-world-cup-loss/

So weird yet so awesome at the same time lol!

Cultural aversion to littering, and being good guests. Amazing.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:22 am

Isco Benny wrote:

http://www.inquisitr.com/1301182/japanese-fans-behind-stay-to-clean-up-stadium-after-world-cup-loss/

On the other hand some argentinian c**ts forced the gates open and jumped the walls of Maracanã.

http://oglobo.globo.com/videos/t/todos-os-videos/v/torcedores-argentinos-sem-ingresso-pulam-muro-e-invadem-o-maracana/3421788/

It's being reported that several fights between brazilians and argentinians happened inside and outside the stadium. Argentinians fans from different firms also fought amongst themselves. Nothing is more predictable than that.
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:05 am

Well, it's early days, it's important to peak at the right time, the tournament really starts in the knock-out stages yadda yadda. So there is plenty of time for both Brazil and Argentina to improve.

And improve they must, Argentina more so than Brazil. Croatia were better than Bosnia and Brazil better than Argentina. I expected Argentina to be better organised as a team than 2010, but it didn't really look like it. Relying on individual brilliance may work in a match or two, but it's usually not enough to win the title. Time will tell.
Antarion

Number of posts : 3371
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 am

Without wanting to bring excuses in early, Portugal might have a good shot this year. They aren't rated by many but nearly defeated Spain in the Euros and always made it far since 2006.

And they can be organized at the back in big tournaments (contrary to their qualification mode). Also France might be worth a bet this year.

But lets see how the last matchday will turn out before speculating further...
ERIK LAMELA

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:25 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Well, it's early days, it's important to peak at the right time, the tournament really starts in the knock-out stages yadda yadda. So there is plenty of time for both Brazil and Argentina to improve.

And improve they must, Argentina more so than Brazil. Croatia were better than Bosnia and Brazil better than Argentina. I expected Argentina to be better organised as a team than 2010, but it didn't really look like it. Relying on individual brilliance may work in a match or two, but it's usually not enough to win the title. Time will tell.

As I said - we will not progress beyond the QF and Bernd will not have seen it coming.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:28 am

Antarion wrote:Without wanting to bring excuses in early, Portugal might have a good shot this year. They aren't rated by many but nearly defeated Spain in the Euros and always made it far since 2006.

And they can be organized at the back in big tournaments (contrary to their qualification mode).

I agree, as I wrote earlier. Portugal are a dangerous side, solid, and used to the climatic challenges. They can go far this year.

I'm not overly optimistic about tonight, especially if the lineup that is being mentioned in the German press is really true.
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:29 am

Antarion wrote:Without wanting to bring excuses in early, Portugal might have a good shot this year. They aren't rated by many but nearly defeated Spain in the Euros and always made it far since 2006.

And they can be organized at the back in big tournaments (contrary to their qualification mode). Also France might be worth a bet this year.

Without RQ7, they can't win.

Beyond that they still have the same problems as previous tournaments. They may have a solid defence, but they have no attacking midfielder since Deco/Rui Costa retired, and still don't have a top quality center forward. Also, Nani has really regressed alot in the last couple of years. CR7 is in great form, but i don't think 1 individual can win you the world cup these days.
BoBo Vieri 32

Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:41 am

Fey wrote:If only Bielsa was still around to coach them. Best Argie squad I have seen in my life. Together with van Gaal and Pep part of the best coaches in the world!

<Ale> 

2002 and 2006 teams were far better than this team.
Antarion

Post by Antarion on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:02 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Beyond that they still have the same problems as previous tournaments. They may have a solid defence, but they have no attacking midfielder since Deco/Rui Costa retired, and still don't have a top quality center forward. Also, Nani has really regressed alot in the last couple of years. CR7 is in great form, but i don't think 1 individual can win you the world cup these days.

Don't know mate, I always saw RQ7 as the equivalent of Ortega. Was he really that good lately?

BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 am

Antarion wrote:
BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

Don't know mate, I always saw RQ7 as the equivalent of Ortega. Was he really that good lately?

apparantly so. I only saw him in the Europa League games, where he looked very good. At the very least, he is better than Nani, but i guess Bento wants to stick with the players he used in qualifying.

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:59 am

Antarion wrote:
BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

If you need an outside of the boot pass, he's your man. Can't run, tackle, press or generally play football and likes to have a cry in the shower, but that outside of the boot pass is a thing of beauty Wink
BoBo Vieri 32

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:06 pm

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:08 pm

I think that was the worst defending I have ever seen in professional football Wink
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
Isco Benny wrote:

On the other hand some argentinian c**ts forced the gates open and jumped the walls of Maracanã.

http://oglobo.globo.com/videos/t/todos-os-videos/v/torcedores-argentinos-sem-ingresso-pulam-muro-e-invadem-o-maracana/3421788/

It's being reported that several fights between brazilians and argentinians happened inside and outside the stadium. Argentinians fans from different firms also fought amongst themselves. Nothing is more predictable than that.

I loved it. Libertadores atmosphere!
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:00 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Well, it's early days, it's important to peak at the right time, the tournament really starts in the knock-out stages yadda yadda. So there is plenty of time for both Brazil and Argentina to improve.

You really think so? I though Brazil was awful.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:01 pm

It worked in 1986. I watche Argentina games in that WC the other day and they were very similar to the game against Bosnia, with Maradona in place of Messi.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:02 pm

As a team, sure. Brazil's fullbacks didn't look good a few times, but they defended much better as a team than Argentina did - they simply look more like a modern team. Plus, it was actually Oscar, not the 'superstar' Neymar, who made the difference for them, so Brazil are less reliant on their star player than Argentina seem to be.

But again, it's early days.
Antarion

Post by Antarion on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

Brazil was better.
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Brazilian pundits are saying Gana is the best African in this WC.
Antarion

Post by Antarion on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:18 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

True. But they have the hardest group. Cause any team can advance here without much surprise.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:43 pm

110% wrote:
Antarion wrote:
BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:

If you need an outside of the boot pass, he's your man. Can't run, tackle, press or generally play football and likes to have a cry in the shower, but that outside of the boot pass is a thing of beauty Wink

lol! 

So true! In portuguese we call it "trivela".
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:44 pm

In German we say "brotlose Kunst", literally "unprofitable art".
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:54 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:

Ghana is a good counter attacking team and they are the most European,of the black African teams, in terms of disciplin and organization. So in a way this group might not fit them quality wise, it might fit them well in terms of style. If Germany and Portugal defend with a high line I think Ghana will do well. The Ayew brothers+Asamoah Gyan will be dangerous but unlike in 2010 they don't have a decent passer in midfield. Annan who did well in 2010 didn't live up the promise and now they have to make good with Essien+Muntari. The game against America will probably follow the pattern of their earlier encounters(2006+2010) which have always been tough matches.

Ivory Coast created several chances but they are not quite refined enough and a bit too much PGD.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Antarion wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:

Brazil was better.

Both were pretty shit, but like Blut said there's time for that to change and it is early to write them off. Two cliches are gone after the first round. Brazilian's solid defensive system and Argentina's offensive power. Brazilian full backs were ridiculous exposed again and again, especially Dani Alves. I expected much more from Aguero, Di Maria and Higuain, but Argentina improved after Sabella realized that there was no need to play with three central backs and just three players up front.
Antarion

Post by Antarion on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
Antarion wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:

Brazil was better.

Both were pretty shit, but like Blut said there's time for that to change and it is early to write them off. Two cliches are gone after the first round. Brazilian's solid defensive system and Argentina's offensive power. Brazilian full backs were ridiculous exposed again and again, especially Dani Alves. I expected much more from Aguero, Di Maria and Higuain, but Argentina improved after Sabella realized that there was no need to play with three central backs and just three players up front.

When I watched Brazil i know it wouldn't be an easy game. First match, big pressure and Croatia are no numpties. They still won 3-1. They will thumb Mexico, I am sure.

When I watched Argentina yesterday...I thought they were terrible. No fight in midfield at all. No real pace. Looked far more desorganized than 4 years ago even. If it was in Manaus, I would have understand, but in Rio...not.

mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:In German we say "brotlose Kunst", literally "unprofitable art".

lol! 
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Pearce’s moments of madness in full:

Pearce: “Well look at the boos and the Honduran players. And look at this again. We’ve seen so many spurious goal line technology replays. AND IT SIGNALS NO GOAL! No goal has gone up on the screen. The fans have heard it, the Honduran players have seen it.”

Keown: “But it’s a goal there...”

Pearce: “OH GOODNESS ME. THEY’VE CHANGED THEIR MINDS NOW. Does goal line technology work or doesn’t it?”

Pearce went on to say “Well which replay are we supposed to believe? This was supposed to be a flawless system.”

As Pearce began ranting that the referee couldn’t give it if he had ANY doubt, Keown, with the patience of a man explaining gravity to a small child, said: “Yes but it says the ball was over the line on the second instance.”

Pearce still wasn’t having it though, and later reflected: “ The whole goal line technology debate will flare up again because it was not good enough, was it? One moment we are seeing a goal given by the assistant referee, then the next thing we are seeing it’s not over the line in the replay, and then we are seeing it is over the line on the second one.”
mongrel hawk

Post by mongrel hawk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Super Progress wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:

Ghana is a good counter attacking team and they are the most European,of the black African teams, in terms of disciplin and organization. So in a way this group might not fit them quality wise, it might fit them well in terms of style. If Germany and Portugal defend with a high line I think Ghana will do well. The Ayew brothers+Asamoah Gyan will be dangerous but unlike in 2010 they don't have a decent passer in midfield. Annan who did well in 2010 didn't live up the promise and now they have to make good with Essien+Muntari. The game against America will probably follow the pattern of their earlier encounters(2006+2010) which have always been tough matches.

Ivory Coast created several chances but they are not quite refined enough and a bit too much PGD.

Something tells me Ghana will qualify.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 pm