2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Share
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Kimbo wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting though, you want to reduce the size of the world cup?

I'm suggesting nothing. I just posted some facts in numbers cause I thought it was interesting.

You and Rosicky are right about Euro domination in the last 2 WC semis.

However, managing to qualify only 6 out of 13 in the last WCs is a meaningful fact and could be taken into consideration.

Regarding the spots (what I think would be interesting):

SA: 5 (instead of 4.5)
NA: 3 (instead of 3.5)
Europe: 10 (instead of 13)

However, 4 Europeans apart form those 10 could have play-offs against 2 SAs and 2 NAs.

Thus, Europe could have between 10 and 14. SA, 5 and 7. Na, 3 and 5.

This would make 22 spots for those 3 confederations. 1 spot for the hosts. Asia, Africa and Oceania could share the other nine.


We could have interesting play-off games like Mexico-Croatia, Paraguay-Portugal, Costa Rica-Sweden, etc. That would be awesome.  Ale
avatar
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by messiah on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:03 pm

the Job the pekerman has been doing for Colombia has been great, they are playing like did under him at the 2006 world cup, where they and spain where the best team. and it from then i said spain and Argentina are the next, sadly spain kept their coach and pekerman resigned, over a rather simple mistake.

I hope he goes as far as possible, then returns to argentina to coach messi at his next and last world cup.
avatar
ERIK LAMELA

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:31 pm

messiah wrote:the Job the pekerman has been doing for Colombia has been great, they are playing like did under him at the 2006 world cup, where they and spain where the best team. and it from then i said spain and Argentina are the next, sadly spain kept their coach and pekerman resigned, over a rather simple mistake.

I hope he goes as far as possible, then returns to argentina to coach messi at his next and last world cup.

Taking off Riquelme - bad move.

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898
Age : 33
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:01 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
Kimbo wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting though, you want to reduce the size of the world cup?

I'm suggesting nothing. I just posted some facts in numbers cause I thought it was interesting.

You and Rosicky are right about Euro domination in the last 2 WC semis.

However, managing to qualify only 6 out of 13 in the last WCs is a meaningful fact and could be taken into consideration.

Regarding the spots (what I think would be interesting):

SA: 5 (instead of 4.5)
NA: 3 (instead of 3.5)
Europe: 10 (instead of 13)

However, 4 Europeans apart form those 10 could have play-offs against 2 SAs and 2 NAs.

Thus, Europe could have between 10 and 14. SA, 5 and 7. Na, 3 and 5.

This would make 22 spots for those 3 confederations. 1 spot for the hosts. Asia, Africa and Oceania could share the other nine.


We could have interesting play-off games like Mexico-Croatia, Paraguay-Portugal, Costa Rica-Sweden, etc. That would be awesome.  Ale

Seven spots for South America would be too much, Todo. You take this Euro x South America debate too seriously Smile
avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Fey on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Let's wait if it's just a mere hype;
The 90's had the Africans
The 00's had the Asians
The 10's have the South-Amricans so far.

So far, Europe is very stable over time.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:
Kimbo wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting though, you want to reduce the size of the world cup?

I'm suggesting nothing. I just posted some facts in numbers cause I thought it was interesting.

You and Rosicky are right about Euro domination in the last 2 WC semis.

However, managing to qualify only 6 out of 13 in the last WCs is a meaningful fact and could be taken into consideration.

Regarding the spots (what I think would be interesting):

SA: 5 (instead of 4.5)
NA: 3 (instead of 3.5)
Europe: 10 (instead of 13)

However, 4 Europeans apart form those 10 could have play-offs against 2 SAs and 2 NAs.

Thus, Europe could have between 10 and 14. SA, 5 and 7. Na, 3 and 5.

This would make 22 spots for those 3 confederations. 1 spot for the hosts. Asia, Africa and Oceania could share the other nine.


We could have interesting play-off games like Mexico-Croatia, Paraguay-Portugal, Costa Rica-Sweden, etc. That would be awesome.  Ale

Seven spots for South America would be too much, Todo. You take this Euro x South America debate too seriously Smile

I take nothing here seriously, Sheva.  <Ale> 

If the 6th and 7th South Americans are bad, they won't qualify anyway.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Fey wrote:Let's wait if it's just a mere hype;
The 90's had the Africans
The 00's had the Asians
The 10's have the South-Amricans so far.

So far, Europe is very stable over time.

The frequency of WCs in Europe are also very stable over time.  ok

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898
Age : 33
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:29 pm

As expected Paulinho lost his place in the starting eleven to Fernandinho. Dani Alves is likely to lose his place as well.
avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Fey on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico twice, Brazil twice

All got to host a WC, Holland never got to host it.

Now I realise in those days it was different. But these days non in SA is even capable of hosting one, and you still get one. Though one can argue about Brazil. The rest no chance in the near future me thinks.
avatar
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Kimbo on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:34 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
Fey wrote:Let's wait if it's just a mere hype;
The 90's had the Africans
The 00's had the Asians
The 10's have the South-Amricans so far.

So far, Europe is very stable over time.

The frequency of WCs in Europe are also very stable over time.  ok

As a continent Europe is the most suitable for hosting it, Brazil has been great, but remember when they tried to put it in Colombia. <Ale> 

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898
Age : 33
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:35 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:
Kimbo wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting though, you want to reduce the size of the world cup?

I'm suggesting nothing. I just posted some facts in numbers cause I thought it was interesting.

You and Rosicky are right about Euro domination in the last 2 WC semis.

However, managing to qualify only 6 out of 13 in the last WCs is a meaningful fact and could be taken into consideration.

Regarding the spots (what I think would be interesting):

SA: 5 (instead of 4.5)
NA: 3 (instead of 3.5)
Europe: 10 (instead of 13)

However, 4 Europeans apart form those 10 could have play-offs against 2 SAs and 2 NAs.

Thus, Europe could have between 10 and 14. SA, 5 and 7. Na, 3 and 5.

This would make 22 spots for those 3 confederations. 1 spot for the hosts. Asia, Africa and Oceania could share the other nine.


We could have interesting play-off games like Mexico-Croatia, Paraguay-Portugal, Costa Rica-Sweden, etc. That would be awesome.  Ale

Seven spots for South America would be too much, Todo. You take this Euro x South America debate too seriously Smile

I take nothing here seriously, Sheva.  <Ale> 

If the 6th and 7th South Americans are bad, they won't qualify anyway.

Never underestimate a shitty south american team like Ecuador or Bolívia playing at altitude
avatar
ERIK LAMELA

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:As expected Paulinho lost his place in the starting eleven to Fernandinho. Dani Alves is likely to lose his place as well.

Fuck! Sad

Now Brazil are the favourites.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:As expected Paulinho lost his place in the starting eleven to Fernandinho. Dani Alves is likely to lose his place as well.

Alves losing now against Chile? That would be great news.

Paulinho shouldn't even have started. He's not half the player he was 1 year ago.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Fey wrote:Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico twice, Brazil twice

All got to host a WC, Holland never got to host it.

Now I realise in those days it was different. But these days non in SA is even capable of hosting one, and you still get one. Though one can argue about Brazil. The rest no chance in the near future me thinks.

Mexico is not South America, Fey.

If Brazil is not capable, how is it that this WC is happening alright?

A WC shared by the southern countries would be awesome: Uruguay, Argentina, Chile. The weather would be similar to Spanish winter or even colder in some cities.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:28 pm

Fey wrote:Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico twice, Brazil twice

All got to host a WC, Holland never got to host it.

Now I realise in those days it was different. But these days non in SA is even capable of hosting one, and you still get one. Though one can argue about Brazil. The rest no chance in the near future me thinks.

I don't remember where, but I saw an English journalist saying this WC is being better than the last EuroCup in terms of organisation.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:
Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:
Kimbo wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting though, you want to reduce the size of the world cup?

I'm suggesting nothing. I just posted some facts in numbers cause I thought it was interesting.

You and Rosicky are right about Euro domination in the last 2 WC semis.

However, managing to qualify only 6 out of 13 in the last WCs is a meaningful fact and could be taken into consideration.

Regarding the spots (what I think would be interesting):

SA: 5 (instead of 4.5)
NA: 3 (instead of 3.5)
Europe: 10 (instead of 13)

However, 4 Europeans apart form those 10 could have play-offs against 2 SAs and 2 NAs.

Thus, Europe could have between 10 and 14. SA, 5 and 7. Na, 3 and 5.

This would make 22 spots for those 3 confederations. 1 spot for the hosts. Asia, Africa and Oceania could share the other nine.


We could have interesting play-off games like Mexico-Croatia, Paraguay-Portugal, Costa Rica-Sweden, etc. That would be awesome.  Ale

Seven spots for South America would be too much, Todo. You take this Euro x South America debate too seriously Smile

I take nothing here seriously, Sheva.  <Ale> 

If the 6th and 7th South Americans are bad, they won't qualify anyway.

Never underestimate a shitty south american team like Ecuador or Bolívia playing at altitude


hahaha. It would be funny to see a Euro team arriving in Quito and complaining about everything.

When Australia came to play the play-off against Uruguay in 2001, they were received in the airport by a crowd of Uruguayans swearing, spitting and throwing things at them. They were scared to death. They tried to take the game to Buenos Aires, but Fifa said no and Ureuguay beat them 3-0 in a war atmosphere.  Laughing 

Those Euros transformed football into a clean-ass-shopping-center sport. Here it's still terrace football.

avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Kimbo wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:
Fey wrote:Let's wait if it's just a mere hype;
The 90's had the Africans
The 00's had the Asians
The 10's have the South-Amricans so far.

So far, Europe is very stable over time.

The frequency of WCs in Europe are also very stable over time.  ok

As a continent Europe is the most suitable for hosting it, Brazil has been great, but remember when they tried to put it in Colombia. <Ale> 

You have a point.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:40 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:
Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:
Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
mongrel hawk wrote:
Kimbo wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting though, you want to reduce the size of the world cup?

I'm suggesting nothing. I just posted some facts in numbers cause I thought it was interesting.

You and Rosicky are right about Euro domination in the last 2 WC semis.

However, managing to qualify only 6 out of 13 in the last WCs is a meaningful fact and could be taken into consideration.

Regarding the spots (what I think would be interesting):

SA: 5 (instead of 4.5)
NA: 3 (instead of 3.5)
Europe: 10 (instead of 13)

However, 4 Europeans apart form those 10 could have play-offs against 2 SAs and 2 NAs.

Thus, Europe could have between 10 and 14. SA, 5 and 7. Na, 3 and 5.

This would make 22 spots for those 3 confederations. 1 spot for the hosts. Asia, Africa and Oceania could share the other nine.


We could have interesting play-off games like Mexico-Croatia, Paraguay-Portugal, Costa Rica-Sweden, etc. That would be awesome.  Ale

Seven spots for South America would be too much, Todo. You take this Euro x South America debate too seriously Smile

I take nothing here seriously, Sheva.  <Ale> 

If the 6th and 7th South Americans are bad, they won't qualify anyway.

Never underestimate a shitty south american team like Ecuador or Bolívia playing at altitude


hahaha. It would be funny to see a Euro team arriving in Quito and complaining about everything.

When Australia came to play the play-off against Uruguay in 2001, they were received in the airport by a crowd of Uruguayans swearing, spitting and throwing things at them. They were scared to death. They tried to take the game to Buenos Aires, but Fifa said no and Ureuguay beat them 3-0 in a war atmosphere.  Laughing 

Those Euros transformed football into a clean-ass-shopping-center sport. Here it's still terrace football.

"Judging by the reception the Socceroos received when they arrived in Montevideo last night, the return leg could be ugly, even frightening. After being held up for an hour by Uruguayan customs, the Socceroos emerged to be greeted by a surging crowd of punching, spitting Uruguayan fans.

"Security was barely adequate to keep the mob at bay. It has become a diplomatic incident, with the Uruguayan ambassador being called in today to see Foreign Minister Alexander Downer and Australia's ambassador to Argentina crossing the river plate to insist on better security for the Socceroos in Uruguay.

"insults shouted, one punch thrown and landed, four Socceroos including the coach and the skipper spat on."


Here:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2001/s423544.htm
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Useless data about Brazil at home:


In 100 years playing official matches at home (including Copa América, other official cups, WC and WC qualifiers), Brazil only lost 3 games.

1-2 Paraguay in 1949 (Campeonato Sul-Americano)

1-2 Uruguay in 1950 (WC)

1-3 Peru in 1975 (Copa América) (hail, Puro!!!)

Brazil never lost a single WC qualifier game at home.

In the last 56 official matches at home (since losing to Peru in 1975), Brazil won 40 and drew 16 (including Copa América, qualifiers and this WC).

If you include friendlies, the last loss at home was against Paraguay in 2002 (0-1).
avatar
ERIK LAMELA

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-04-11

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by ERIK LAMELA on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 pm

We got OUR REVENGE four years later.

avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:11 pm

A 85-year-old Brazilian changed his 1950 final ticket for 3 brand new tickets for the 2014 final (Fifa gave him the tickets in exchange for the old ticket to be shown in a museum). He couldn't attend to the 1950 final due to his mother medical condition at the time.

The story in Portuguese: http://copadomundo.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2014/06/27/torcedor-troca-ingresso-de-1950-por-bilhete-de-2014-e-vera-final-da-copa.htm


avatar
BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
Age : 30
Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:46 pm

ERIK LAMELA wrote:We got OUR REVENGE four years later.


Recoba  Sad 
avatar
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Fey on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:18 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:Useless data about Brazil at home:


In 100 years playing official matches at home (including Copa América, other official cups, WC and WC qualifiers), Brazil only lost 3 games.

1-2 Paraguay in 1949 (Campeonato Sul-Americano)

1-2 Uruguay in 1950 (WC)

1-3 Peru in 1975 (Copa América) (hail, Puro!!!)

Brazil never lost a single WC qualifier game at home.

In the last 56 official matches at home (since losing to Peru in 1975), Brazil won 40 and drew 16 (including Copa América, qualifiers and this WC).

If you include friendlies, the last loss at home was against Paraguay in 2002 (0-1).

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898
Age : 33
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:04 am

mongrel hawk wrote:
Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:As expected Paulinho lost his place in the starting eleven to Fernandinho. Dani Alves is likely to lose his place as well.

Alves losing now against Chile? That would be great news.

Paulinho shouldn't even have started. He's not half the player he was 1 year ago.

According to the press Maicon Douglas is training well and Alves is on the verge of losing his position.
David Luiz is doubtful.
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:36 am

If Brazil lose to Chile, we already know who to blame.



avatar
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Age : 26
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Luis on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Brazil 2-1 Chile

Colombia 1-1 Uruguay (Uruguay win on pens)
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Luis wrote:Brazil 2-1 Chile

Colombia 1-1 Uruguay (Uruguay win on pens)

Brazil 2-1 Chile (I hope)

Colombia 5-1 Uruguay (2 or 3 Urus sent off)
avatar
mongrel hawk

Number of posts : 4757
Age : 37
Supports : Corinthians
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by mongrel hawk on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Howard Webb for the Brazil game. What do you think?
avatar
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Rosicky on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Quite excited for the 2nd round now Ale cheers
avatar
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Rosicky on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:18 pm

mongrel hawk wrote:Howard Webb for the Brazil game. What do you think?

Apparently he was the ref in this fixture 4 years ago.

Sponsored content

Re: 2014 World Cup - 1/8 Finals

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:45 pm