2014 World Cup Final

Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014 World Cup Final

Post by Fey on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:20 pm

Isco Benny wrote:Pogba won young player.

Bizarre..needless to say Maureen thought he was the best young player as well.
Murray

Number of posts : 10197

Post by Murray on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm

Fey wrote:Holy shit the vote for best player was done by the public...Messi 1st James 2nd.......Ronaldo 3th..

You're wrong, Muller was 2nd and Robben 3rd

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/awards/golden-ball/index.html
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:27 pm

Fuck, Pogba did win!!! Why does Krul not get an award?
Fey

Post by Fey on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:28 pm

He got the best Newcastle player award...
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Fey wrote:He got the best Newcastle player award...

If there was such an award, and Pogba was a Newcastle player, he would not have won it. He would be France's 3rd best Newcastle player.
Antarion

Number of posts : 3372
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:34 pm

What a goal from Götze. Knew he would be good when comes on for Klose.

Schürrle my new favourite player with the assist. Great win. Sooo glad. Tomorrow i'll fly to teneriffa and make party for two weeks ffs.

Cheers and thanks for the congratulations

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:54 am

I was there. Congrats, germans! Thank you very much! You saved my WC! I saw several fights in the stands after Gotze scored. Some argies were arrested. Enjoy!
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:00 am

Lukas Podolski doing a John Terry was the best moment of the night.

Runs onto pitch in full pristeen kit then manages to position himself next to Phillip Lahm for the big photo opp moment, getting his hands on the trophy first after the captain.

Germany owes Lukas big time. What a player!
Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975

Post by Effenberg on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:42 am

I'm supremely happy, obviously. Ale
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:10 am

Argentina deserved to lose, not because german were better than them( they weren't) but because they got the most clear cut opportunities to score and didn't take their chances.

Higs
Messi
Palacio

all should have done better and none of them made the goalkeeper work
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:54 am

Effenberg wrote:I'm supremely happy, obviously. Ale

Congrats mate! Same to Kroos, Antarion, Otto, etc. Ale
Effenberg

Number of posts : 3975

Post by Effenberg on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:05 am

Thank you, Jaime, and all the other well-wishers. Great feeling. I was 12 when they last won it (with a very different kind of team) and all the recent near-misses makes this one feel all the more special. Couldn't be happier for these players. They deserve it.

Best World Cup Ever. Ale
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:42 am

omg like i said, i hardly sweat yesterday   Laughing 

still think france was harder to play

had argentina a single shot on target, or had Neuer to make a save with his hands? not really

seriously i never would have thought that i wouldn`t be happy not to see khedira playing, but it was a huge shock for me, 5 min before the game starts such bad news, i was in really bad mood

kramer witz zero experience, and khedira played a good WC, then kramer gets injured

still i think we did very well, argentina had good moments, but thats normal when 2 styles of philosophies clash (it was all over bayern vs real madrid again) at least in some way

all who say this isn`t a great side

you serious  lol!

Kroos

Post by Kroos on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:09 am

OMG the runner on the field was the youtube star

vilalyzdtv

love his pranks

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 am

Jaime wrote:

Congrats also to Blut, Alles etc.

Glad the best team in the tournament won  <Ale> 
Kroos

Post by Kroos on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 am

110% wrote:
Jaime wrote:

Congrats also to Blut, Alles etc.

Glad the best team in the tournament won  <Ale> 

THX

and glad the proactive team won

proactive is IN, madrid won also over a.madrid

110%

Post by 110% on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 am

Murray wrote:
Fey wrote:Holy shit the vote for best player was done by the public...Messi 1st James 2nd.......Ronaldo 3th..

You're wrong, Muller was 2nd and Robben 3rd

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/awards/golden-ball/index.html

I don't have any major complaints over that, although personally I would have put Robben first, as he has far less help from his team mates than the other two.

If Muller had scored in the final he would probably have won ahead of messi, even though messi played better than him.

110%

Post by 110% on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:48 am

shazlx wrote:
Isco Benny wrote:Pogba won young player.
The thing is, James is young enough to win it.

No he's not, young player has to be under 21 at the start of the year. Strange rule but that's the rule.
Fey

Post by Fey on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:13 am

What is a better feeling, winning a cup with Germany or the CL with Bayern?

So few people are in this position to answer this question.

Pierre Littbarski wrote:Congrats to Krauts - not a particularly great side but when do you ever get a great side in international tournaments?

They are a more fashionable Italy 2006 but they are the best team in the tournament .

Genuinely believed they had 1st round exit potential, like Holland, due to tough group and schedule.

Portugal, Ghana, USA, France, Brazil, Argies is very impressive.

Brilliant assist from Schurrle, brilliant finish from Gotze and brilliant performance from Schweini and Boateng.

Holland would have done you though !

Yeah that thought came to my mind as well, already after the Brazil-Holland game, but I doubt it. Holland had one shot on goal against Argentina. Germany 5. And Argentina had 0 shots on goal last night. Holland would be dangerous on the break though. We will never know though. In the end if you beat Argentina, Brazil, Portugal and France with 13-1(which is better then Hollands 10-1 against Argentina, Brazil, Spain and Chile) they deserve to win this years WC. I do think Spains possession game is still ahead of that of Germany, but Holland took care of that...same old..same old..

Also I think this squad has a lot more depth then Italy in 2006, sure Ozil did a copy of Totti, but they have a lot of potential. After the pretenders(Podolski, Ballack, Frings, Lehmann etc) Germany has some genuine good players in Kroos, Schurrle, Gotze, Ozil, Hummels, Reus Neuer, add the contenders like Schweini and Lahm to it and you have a good team.

Argentina have had 9 shots on goal for the entire knock-out stages. I dont understand that coach. How can you field such a system without any pace, even Dimaria didnt help.

As for the final, thought for a final it wasnt bad, almost a copy of 2010. Though if you watch the highlights of it, bar that corner from Germany, Argentina had the better chances. Messi was better then in previous games, sure he didnt score, but in the games he did score, he was shite imo. Best player is a joke though. But in the end the better footballing side won, which should be a victory in its own. And I believe Germany would have gone progressive again if they didnt win again.

110%

Post by 110% on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:59 am

I really enjoyed the moment Higuain scored but was offside:
https://vine.co/v/MxD1njZ2XAA

Half the bar cheered because they thought it was a goal, then the other half cheered when it turns out it wasn't. The neutrals decided which side they were on.
Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19688
Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
Favourite Player : Filip Kostic, Bergkamp, Le Tiss

Post by Axeslammer on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:13 am

Can't believe no one mentioned the goalkeeping of Romero yet, he commited to the wrong corner  Doh 

I don't think a decent goalie would have made that error...
Antarion

Number of posts : 3372
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 am

@Fey: for me winning the world cup is much better than CL for bayern. i know several bayern fans who would disagree though.
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 am

Messi winning the golden ball is one of the most ridiculous things FIFA has pulled off. Ever.

It's ok to give Argentina a consolation price, they had a very good tournament. But Messi was more or less anonymous when it counted most, didn't score a single goal in the knock-out stages. A real travesty. Mascherano would have deserved it a lot more.

I will always admire his talent, but Messi will never be fit to lace Maradona's boots. Not only was Diego the better player, he was a huge character, too, with all his faults. Seeing Messi with that robotic stare of his, not looking particularly fussed after losing a World Cup final (!) while being pretty anonymous for most of it, and comparing it to Maradona's tears in Rome in 1990...No wonder he'll never be really loved in Argentina. I also don't like the way he expects the team to run for him (his stats are truly horrendous, only Fred ran less in this tournament!), this didn't use to be the case in the Guardiola years at Barcelona. He is a changed player and if he doesn't get a grip soon and understands what is really important in this sport, he may have a very underwhelming finish of his career pretty soon, similar to many other South American players who faded pretty quick. He's 27 now, but has played professional football for a long time.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:36 am

Axeslammer wrote:Can't believe no one mentioned the goalkeeping of Romero yet, he commited to the wrong corner  Doh 

I don't think a decent goalie would have made that error...

No, it wasn't. It would have been an error if he hadn't closed down "his" corner, the corner Götze was at when he took the shot. It was simply a brilliant finish Romero couldn't be blamed for. The blame should be taken by the Argentinians who tried to stop Schürrle, who still managed to put in that peach of a cross with his weaker left foot.

110%

Post by 110% on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:49 am

blutgraetsche wrote:Messi winning the golden ball is one of the most ridiculous things FIFA has pulled off. Ever.

It's ok to give Argentina a consolation price, they had a very good tournament. But Messi was more or less anonymous when it counted most, didn't score a single goal in the knock-out stages. A real travesty. Mascherano would have deserved it a lot more.

I will always admire his talent, but Messi will never be fit to lace Maradona's boots. Not only was Diego the better player, he was a huge character, too, with all his faults. Seeing Messi with that robotic stare of his, not looking particularly fussed after losing a World Cup final (!) while being pretty anonymous for most of it, and comparing it to Maradona's tears in Rome in 1990...No wonder he'll never be really loved in Argentina. I also don't like the way he expects the team to run for him (his stats are truly horrendous, only Fred ran less in this tournament!), this didn't use to be the case in the Guardiola years at Barcelona. He is a changed player and if he doesn't get a grip soon and understands what is really important in this sport, he may have a very underwhelming finish of his career pretty soon, similar to many other South American players who faded pretty quick. He's 27 now, but has played professional football for a long time.

I don't mind who won this award to be honest, I came to terms with it the last world cup after iniesta won it for scoring a goal in the final, after being anonymous for the first half at least, and not really being outstanding during the rest of the world cup. I think it should be robben, but if they need to give it to a guy who played in the final then neuer, but for some reason they give keepers a separate award now. Messi was better than Mueller, who I am a big fan of, in the final itself, so fair enough. Not messi's fault his mates are shite.

For all of mascherano's effort, he should have been sent off in the final (I counted at least 3 yellow card offences after his first yellow), it was the goals of messi that got them the wins early on (I think he had 4 motm performances, scoring goals in the 90th minute etc). It was not messi on top form, or even anywhere near as fit as he could be, and it was messi that was heavily marked, and yet he still produced. Schweinsteiger did all of what mascherano did in the final, with much less fouling and plenty of good passing thrown in. Mascherano is a good yet very limited player who I would never want to see winning this kind of award.

110%

Post by 110% on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:57 am

Also statistically, messi was the best player:
http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/247/Tournaments/36/Seasons/3768/Stages/10274/PlayerStatistics/International-FIFA-World-Cup-2014

Obviously difficult for a keeper to score highly there, but in terms of outfield players I don't think it is too bad.

Hipsters please note number 7. I put him at right back in my team of the world cup so it's already too late for you Wink
Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19688
Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
Favourite Player : Filip Kostic, Bergkamp, Le Tiss

Post by Axeslammer on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:11 pm

I missed the first part of the match (including Higuain's miss). Reading the forum I don't think I read anything about Romero coming out with his leg stretched forward.

According to a colleague (who's usually right about these things) that should have been a booking....red being a possibility.

Is he exagerating ?
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:11 pm

Messi failed to show up in most of the knock-out stages, he really wasn't better than Mascherano yesterday, that's just wrong. I didn't want to say that Mascherano was the tournament's best player, he clearly wasn't, but if the price is given as a consolation, which it apparently is, he would have been the more deserving Argentina player. The tournament really starts in the knock-out stages, that's where the truly great players show up.

Plus, it's easier to look good when you have the team built around you, when you are allowed to stay up for most of the match, conserving energy while running as much as Fred did, letting the rest of the team work their arse off for you. That's jst pure anachronism, and it's egoistic, especially if he doesn't pull off Maradona-esque performances in the knock-out stages where it counts to justify it.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Diego Maradona: Lionel Messi winning Golden Ball is a ‘marketing plan’

• Argentina legend dismisses compatriot’s award
• Messi admits ‘there’s a lot of anger’ at World Cup defeat

Diego Maradona has criticised Fifa for awarding Argentina’s Lionel Messi the Golden Ball award for the World Cup’s best player.

Messi was presented with the award after his country’s 1-0 defeat to Germany in the final in Rio, beating such stellar performers as Arjen Robben, James Rodríguez and Thomas Müller. Despite scoring four goals in seven matches, the Barcelona star was not at his best during the knockout stages and Maradona dismissed the decision as a “marketing plan”.

“Messi? I would give him heaven if possible,” the 1986 World Cup winner said on his television show on Telesur. “But it’s not right when someone wins something that he shouldn’t have won just because of some marketing plan.”

[...]

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/14/diego-maradona-lionel-messi-golden-ball

Tell them like it is, Diego. Ale
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:05 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Messi winning the golden ball is one of the most ridiculous things FIFA has pulled off. Ever.

he wouldn't have been my choice but it's not that ridiculous. even if he didn't score in the KO games, he played a crucial part in their goals in both 2R & QF.

any of Neuer, Hummels, Schweinsteiger, Muller would've been good choices but in a way the fact that Germany were so impressive throughout the team works against them for this award 'cause different players stood out at different times rather than the same individual all through - could probably pick a different MOTM for each game (Schweinsteiger for the final, Khedira SF, Hummels QF, Neuer 2R, Muller vs Portugal, can't remember the other two games well enough!)

other possibilities:
Robben was similar to Messi - didn't have the same impact in the QF/SF as he had early on so would've been equally questionable choice
James Rodriguez would've been worthy but going out in QF doesn't help your chances + he got the golden boot.
Mascherano - definitely a big player for them in the latter stages of tournament, but a DM is always likely to be overlooked when it comes to a big individual prize

can't think of anyone else who had a chance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 am