2014 World Cup Final

blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Re: 2014 World Cup Final

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:15 pm

You'll miss him, you will see. Smile

When I think about it, Khedira could be the new HUNTELAAR of this board.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Hey bluenine, even Italian legend Alessandro Nesta agrees that Messi was the wrong choice for the golden ball:

http://fan.football.sony.net/blog/2014/07/14/nesta-messi-can-still-win-world-cup/?ICID=HP_HN_1
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:You'll miss him, you will see. Smile

He was already missing for 75% of the season last year and we won the Copa and CL and went down to the wire with the league title. I'm sure we'll find some way to cope. Biggrin

When I think about it, Khedira could be the new HUNTELAAR of this board.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if TS's dislike of Huntelaar exceeds mine for Khedira or vice versa.

Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Jaime's dislike of Khedeira is just an extension of his hatred for Jose Mourinho. Smiley

I'm not keen on Khedeira myself but he's been better than Huntfaart FFS!

Huntfaart played himself out of the worst Madrid team in a generation, then flopped equally as badly at a declining Milan side.
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 pm

manuel neuer made in 7 games 244 successfull passes, 2 more than messi

pass accurancy from neuer 82 %, and from messi 68 %

Formerly known as sheva7

Number of posts : 1898

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:05 pm

You can't imagine the moaning in Argentina. Pathetic really.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Götze goal sends Bundesliga clear

The Bundesliga and the Premier League had been fighting it out for the honour of the top-scoring league throughout the World Cup, and they went into the final level on 34 goals each.

Although Germany were in the final, the Premier League still had its fair share of players capable of proving the difference but instead it was Bayern Munich's Mario Gotze who came off the bench to score the winner.

It means 69 of the 171 goals, or 40.35 percent, came from players attached to clubs in England or Germany. The Spanish La Liga provided 24 goals, which means those three leagues combined produced 93 goals, or 54.39 percent.

There was absolutely no serious competition for the top scoring club with Bayern supplying 18 goals, nearly double their nearest challenger with Barcelona on 10 goals. AS Monaco are sixth in the club table, with all of their goals being scored by Colombia's James Rodriguez.

NB: As per FIFA's classification, players are recorded by the last club they played for. So players such as David Luiz are classified as Chelsea, and Pablo Armero as West Ham as he was on loan from Napoli in the second half of last season. The five own goals are not attributed to clubs or leagues.

GOALS BY LEAGUE
German Bundesliga 35
English Premier League 34
Spanish La Liga 24
French Ligue 1 13
Italian Serie A 13
Portuguese Liga 8
Dutch Eredivisie 7
Mexican Liga MX 5
Russian Premier League 5
Major League Soccer 4
Brazilian Serie A 3
Greek Super League 2
Tunisian Ligue Professionnelle 1 2
Turkish Super Lig 2
UAE Pro-League 2
Argentine Primera Division 1
Belgian Pro League 1
Croatian Prva HNL 1
English Championship 1
Honduran Primera Division 1
Scottish Premiership 1
South Korean K-League 1

GOALS BY CLUB
Bayern Munich 18
Barcelona 10
Manchester United 9
Chelsea 8
Real Madrid 7
AS Monaco 6
PSV Eindhoven 5
FC Porto 4
VfL Wolfsburg 4
AS Roma 3
Borussia Dortmund 3
Liverpool 3
Marseille 3
Napoli 3
Pachuca 3
Paris Saint-Germain 3
Sporting Lisbon 3
AC Milan 2
Al Ain 2
Arsenal 2
Atletico Madrid 2
Bayer Leverkusen 2
Club Africain 2
CSKA Moscow 2
Juventus 2
Lazio 2
Mainz 2
Manchester City 2
New York Red Bulls 2
Olympiakos 2
Schalke 2
Seattle Sounders 2
Swansea City 2
Valencia 2
Academica Coimbra 1
Ajax 1
Besitkas 1
Borussia Monchengladbach 1
Celtic 1
Charlton Athletic 1
Club Brugge 1
Crystal Palace 1
Dynamo Moscow 1
Everton 1
FC Kuban Krasnodar 1
Feyenoord 1
Fiorentina 1
Fluminese 1
Galatasaray 1
Granada 1
Hajduk Split 1
Hertha Berlin 1
Internacional 1
Leon 1
Lille 1
Newcastle United 1
Norwich City 1
Palmeiras 1
Real Espana 1
Real Sociedad 1
River Plate 1
Sangju Sangmu 1
Santos Laguna 1
SC Freiburg 1
Stoke City 1
Tottenham Hotspur 1
VfB Stuttgart 1
Villarreal 1
West Ham United 1
Wigan Athletic 1
Zenit St. Petersburg 1

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/world-cup-central/59/post/1950050/mario-gotze-goal-sends-bundesliga-clear-in-world-cup-chart
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:Jaime's dislike of Khedeira is just an extension of his hatred for Jose Mourinho. Smiley

Huntfaart played himself out of the worst Madrid team in a generation, then flopped equally as badly at a declining Milan side.

Yet again its Huntelaar who would made Holland world champion instead of van Persie...according to a lot of people in Holland Laughing

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:
You can't imagine the moaning in Argentina. Pathetic really.

About what? Also was it you or Todo that wanted them to win last night?

Must say..I miss the football already! Highly addictive to have a game every day on.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Yeah, post WC Blues in full effect already, really miss it also.

Also don't expect the next one to be as good as this one, it really was special and Brazil being the host, a proper football country with huge tradition, was a very important reason for it. Great atmosphere I won't forget. Russia will have some pretty big shoes to fill. Qatar after that is one to forget, I cringe even thinking about that brutal, corrupt mess.

France 2016 may be good though. May go to a few matches there myself.
Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19688
Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
Favourite Player : Filip Kostic, Bergkamp, Le Tiss

Post by Axeslammer on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:Argentinian press is saying that Neuer committed a penalty against Higuain. I don't think so. He touched the ball and then there was a normal contact. Your thoughts?

Clear sending off for me. Hitting a player on the edge of the box with knees in the face : criminal madness !

Apparently Romero did it first and might have been even worse, but I didn't see that one.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:43 pm

They are saying that they were robbed.

I cheered against them. I loved to see Germany winning. I went to the semifinals and the final. I was devasted, but I would rather lose the semifinal to Germany by 7x1 than lose the final against Argentina by 2x1. If they had won the WC at Maracanã , they would mock brazilians forever.

Very few brazilians cried last tuesday . They were shocked. It was easier to accept elimination because Brazil never had a chance . Yesterday I saw hundreds of argentinians crying.

Argentinians provoked brazilians about the 7x1 and then didn't accept when we provoked them. They counted until 7. After Gotze scored we counted until 28 to celebrate the 28th aniversary of the last Argentina WC title. They wanted to fight with anyone that was wearing a brazilian, german or Dortmund shirt.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:50 pm

Axeslammer wrote:
Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:Argentinian press is saying that Neuer committed a penalty against Higuain. I don't think so. He touched the ball and then there was a normal contact. Your thoughts?

Clear sending off for me. Hitting a player on the edge of the box with knees in the face : criminal madness !

Apparently Romero did it first and might have been even worse, but I didn't see that one.

I think it's roughly equivalent to diving into a tackle 2 footed - you might get to the ball first but it's pretty reckless. don't think it was intentional (in the Schumacher way) but think a yellow for dangerous tackle to jump into a player with your knee at that height would've been about right. bizarre that the ref gave a free kick against Higuain!
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Formerly known as sheva7 wrote:They are saying that they were robbed.

I cheered against them. I loved to see Germany winning. I went to the semifinals and the final. I was devasted, but I would rather lose the semifinal to Germany by 7x1 than lose the final against Argentina by 2x1. If they had won the WC at Maracanã , they would mock brazilians forever.

Very few brazilians cried last tuesday . They were shocked. It was easier to accept elimination because Brazil never had a chance . Yesterday I saw hundreds of argentinians crying.

Argentinians provoked brazilians about the 7x1 and then didn't accept when we provoked them. They counted until 7. After Gotze scored we counted until 28 to celebrate the 28th aniversary of the last Argentina WC title. They wanted to fight with anyone that was wearing a brazilian, german or Dortmund shirt.

c**ts. Should have sent Tropa de Elite on their asses.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:01 pm

The Neuer challenge was a bit dodgy, anywhere else on the field you're not really allowed to smash your opponent to bits even if you get the ball first, but keepers are encouraged to "clear everything", ball, man, your defender, and anything else that might be in the way. But at the same time you're not really allowed to challenge them in the air anymore, because the new breed of keepers are pussies.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:10 pm

Kimbo wrote:The Neuer challenge was a bit dodgy, anywhere else on the field you're not really allowed to smash your opponent to bits even if you get the ball first, but keepers are encouraged to "clear everything", ball, man, your defender, and anything else that might be in the way. But at the same time you're not really allowed to challenge them in the air anymore, because the new breed of keepers are pussies.

yeah that imbalance bothers me. if you flipped that round and the attacker had outjumped a keeper, headed the ball but taken out the keeper in the process there is absolutely zero chance the ref would allow it
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by christmasborocooper on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Yeah I did think it was quite a nasty one from Neuer.. I suppose he's taking advantage of a bias towards goalkeeping challenges. It was quite ridiculous though.
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:17 am

They have club football supporters, and considering some guys paid 3500 euros for a ticket, I would be pissed as well. Did Maradonna already react? The way he behaves is hilarious, though for a bloke in his 50s its also sad. Cant see Cruyff or Beckenbauer doing that!

Still...I feel for the Dortmund bloke, already hating Gotze, then he scores to winner, so he is okay for while, only to get punched in the face thanks to Gotze..
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:33 am

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:Jaime's dislike of Khedeira is just an extension of his hatred for Jose Mourinho. Smiley

Wink 
He just can't let go

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 am

blutgraetsche wrote:

c**ts. Should have sent Tropa de Elite on their asses.

I saw three argentinians being arrested. No one respects Fifa stewards. Policemen from Rio go to dangerous favelas everyday, they don't have any problems to arrest argentinians.

Formerly known as sheva7

Post by Formerly known as sheva7 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:27 am

Fey wrote:

They have club football supporters, and considering some guys paid 3500 euros for a ticket, I would be pissed as well. Did Maradonna already react? The way he behaves is hilarious, though for a bloke in his 50s its also sad. Cant see Cruyff or Beckenbauer doing that!

Still...I feel for the Dortmund bloke, already hating Gotze, then he scores to winner, so he is okay for while, only to get punched in the face thanks to Gotze..

The Dortmund guy was a brazilian. He was wearing a Gotze shirt, he didn't care about his Judas act . I felt sorry for him because he didn't provoke them and they tried to hurt him.

There was an old man wearing a brand new Germany shirt that was threatened and had to swap  it. He got a shitty old argentinian shirt.

This is fucking ridiculous. They were threatened for wearing a shirt. They did nothing wrong.

Well, I know that they are club supporters and overpaid for their tickets, but if they like to provoke brazilians, they shouldn't react violently when brazilians provoke.

I would like to have worn my Germany shirt, but I didn't because after attending two Argentina's matches I was sure that there would be violence.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:51 am

Schweinsteiger about winning the WC against Argentina:

“We are the first team from Europe to win the World Cup in South America, so of course it is very special. The Brazilian people treated us so well, so this was for them too,” said Schweinsteiger. “We wanted to say thank you. They are happy people and now so are we.”
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Expectations alter World Cup rankings

We now know the winners, we know where every team finished, and how their countries reacted, but what does that say about how they actually did? Who performed best relative to expectations and resources. Here, we offer alternative World Cup rankings, according to how satisfied each country should be with their tournament.

1. Costa Rica

What they wanted: A respectable group stage.
What was expected of them: A whitewash.
What they got: Their greatest ever World Cup and one of the great underdog stories.

2. Germany

What they wanted: A victory at last.
What was expected of them: A strong challenge for the trophy.
What they got: A victory 14 years in the making.

3. Netherlands

What they wanted: To get through the group.
What was expected of them: Potentially, a group-stage elimination.
What they got: A semifinal appearance and defiance of age and expectations.

4. Colombia

What they wanted: After the loss of Radamel Falcao, to get through the group.
What was expected of them: To reach the round of 16.
What they got: A quarterfinals appearance, their finest ever World Cup and all appropriately coming on the anniversary of the tragedy of 1994.

5. Argentina

What they wanted: At least the semifinals, after a wait of 24 years, and for Lionel Messi to replicate Diego Maradona.
What was expected of them: To reach the semifinals.
What they got: A narrow defeat in the final, and Messi replicating Maradona of 1990.

6. Algeria

What they wanted: A good group-stage showing.
What was expected of them: Early elimination, if not without some promise.
What they got: A revelation in getting to the round of 16 for the first time in their history and pushing the winners all the way.

7. Chile

What they wanted: To get through the group.
What was expected of them: A tight squeeze with Netherlands behind Spain.
What they got: An epic campaign that almost went beyond the fact that they only got to the second round. The defeat of Spain definitively ended an era for the deposed champions, and they took the hosts to the wire, bringing about the first signs that Brazil would collapse.

8. France

What they wanted: A bit of joy again.
What was expected of them: Anything and everything really, given the crossroads this team had been at just a few months beforehand.
What they got: A quarterfinal and, even though the manner of their defeat was dispiriting, it shouldn't overshadow a World Cup that restored some vitality to French football.

9. USA

What they wanted: To have a chance of getting through the group.
What was expected of them: To finish behind Germany, Portugal and Ghana.
What they got: A World Cup that became about more than where they actually finished, even though that was an excellent advancement to the knockout rounds. Sure, Jurgen Klinsmann rode a lot of luck and they arguably should have been badly beaten by Belgium, but that emotional defiance defined their campaign

10. Mexico

What they wanted: To recover from the near-disaster of qualification.
What was expected of them: A battle with Croatia to finish second behind Brazil.
What they got: Victory in that battle, and almost victory against both the hosts and the Dutch.

11. Belgium

What they wanted: To not collapse under the title of "dark horse."
What was expected of them: It depends who you listened to. A reasonable expectation was that a young team would at least get to the round of 16.
What they got: A quarterfinals appearance, but at the same time, an oddly underwhelming performance apart from one game.

12. Nigeria

What they wanted: Advancement to the round of 16.
What was expected of them: A tough fight with Bosnia-Herzegovina to finish runners-up behind Argentina.
What they got: A trip to the knockout stages, and a bit of history -- they became the first African team to reach the second round three times, and Stephen Keshi also became the first African coach to reach the second round at all.

13. Greece

What they wanted: A chance of getting through.
What was expected of them: A likely elimination in the group stage.
What they got: Not a lot of admiration for their football, but an awful lot of respect for their progress, as they also reached the second round for the first time ever.

14. Ghana

What they wanted: To sneak into the round of 16 along with one of Portugal and Germany.
What was expected of them: A group-stage exit.
What they got: A lot of bad luck. They were the team whose end result was far from reflective of their talents and potential.

15. Iran

What they wanted: After the rigours of their preparation, some stability.
What was expected of them: To go out early and be well beaten.
What they got: Huge admiration, and accolades as potentially the best defensive unit in the competition.

16. Switzerland

What they wanted: To go some way to justify their seeded status.
What was expected of them: To show some bright play for the future.
What they got: One awful beating against France, but thereafter three solid showings with a lot of drama.

17. Uruguay

What they wanted: To oust one of England or Italy.
What was expected of them: Progress to the round of 16.
What they got: Exactly that, but accompanied by a hysterical reaction to the antics of Luis Suarez and subsequently a loss of some admiration for their achievement in getting through.

18. Ecuador

What they wanted: An outside chance of qualifying for the knockout rounds.
What was expected of them: Early elimination.
What they got: The former, but much more important, three formidable displays and a fitting tribute to the tragically departed Chucho Benitez.

19. Croatia

What they wanted: A place in the round of 16.
What was expected of them: A good chance of a last-16 place.
What they got: A tournament in which their goal looked very likely, right up until the moment it mattered. In that, despite two excellent displays, they let themselves down.

20. Australia

What they wanted: Not to be humiliated.
What was expected of them: To be humiliated.
What they got: Respect. They lost all of their games but came encouragingly close to results in the important first two against Chile and the Netherlands.

21. Ivory Coast

What they wanted: A first ever place in the round of 16.
What was expected of them: For a golden generation to finally deliver.
What they got: Another disappointment, but worse, dismal displays.

22. Bosnia-Herzegovina

What they wanted: To get through the group in their historic first World Cup.
What was expected of them: To come close to achieving that.
What they got: A bafflingly poor second game against Nigeria, which undid so much good work and prevented what could have been something special.

23. Honduras

What they wanted: A decent showing.
What was expected of them: To go out.
What they got: Bad beatings, but only after delivering a few kickings.

24. Japan

What they wanted: To be among the last 16.
What was expected of them: To at least suggest they could get close to that.
What they got: A hugely underwhelming fight for it. That they still had a chance of getting through in the third game was irrelevant, because they were destroyed.

25. South Korea

What they wanted: To qualify from their group.
What was expected of them: To at least fight hard with Russia and Belgium for a top-two spot.
What they got: A dismal campaign, and a thrashing in their most winnable match.

26. England

What they wanted: Hope for the future, but they still would have expected to get through.
What was expected of them: A place in the round of 16, at the very least.
What they got: Their worst World Cup campaign ever.

27. Russia

What they wanted: To qualify for the knockout stages, and suggest they're building for 2018.
What was expected of them: To get through to the round of 16.
What they got: A dire tournament and early elimination.

28. Brazil

What they wanted: To win the World Cup, and banish the demons of 1950.
What was expected of them: All of that.
What they got: A defeat even more haunting, and one that only compounds the curse of 1950.

29. Portugal

What they wanted: A statement tournament from both the team and Cristiano Ronaldo.
What was expected of them: A good showing, at least getting to the round of 16.
What they got: None of it, and a hugely disappointing display.

30. Italy

What they wanted: An outside chance of winning it all.
What was expected of them: An outside chance of winning it all.
What they got: Almost the complete opposite, as they went out in the first round.

31. Spain

What they wanted: More history, and a fourth successive major tournament crown.
What was expected of them: That depends on whom you listened to. The idea of a fatigued collapse was always there, but not one so bad, particularly when they still had so many players in their prime and notionally capable of winning it again.
What they got: Making history in the worst ever campaign from a defending champion.

32. Cameroon

What they wanted: To challenge Mexico and Croatia for second place in their group.
What was expected of them: A decent showing.
What they got: One of the worst World Cups by any squad ever, both on the pitch and off it.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/world-cup-central/59/post/1949881/expectations-alter-world-cup-rankings
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Now even the other Argentina legend joins the critics of giving Messi the golden ball:

Mario Kempes says Lionel Messi did not meet Golden Ball standard in Brazil

• World Cup winner says Messi did not deserve Golden Ball
• Kempes says Argentina ‘lacked Messi’s footballing brain’

The former Argentina international Mario Kempes has joined the growing criticism of the decision to award Lionel Messi the Golden Ball at the World Cup, declaring that the four-time Ballon d’Or winner was “not up to standard” in Brazil.

The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, has admitted he was surprised that Messi was named player of the tournament despite failing to score in the knockout stages, while Diego Maradona claimed Messi had been given the award for “marketing reasons”.

Kempes, the top scorer when Argentina first won the World Cup in 1978, gave a harsh critique of Messi’s performances in Brazil during an interview with Radio America.

“I think that Messi wasn’t up to standard during the World Cup,” he said. “He may have scored four goals in the first few games but I don’t believe he showed he was the best player in the world by the end of the tournament.

“Argentina needed Messi like a fish needs water but he needed to be more involved. We lacked his footballing brain.”

Argentina finished the tournament conceding just four goals but lacked spark in attack, scoring just twice in the four knockout games as they finished runners-up to Germany.

Kempes added: “Our main concern, which was the defence, ended up being the attack. The world seems upside down.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/15/mario-kempes-lionel-messi-golden-ball-world-cup

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 pm

To be honest while I was watching the final I was thinking how shit all the other Argentina attackers were, so messi was practically on his own up front. Even Maradonna had caniggia.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:55 pm

Considering how hyped the Argentinian forward line was, how expensive those players are, it really was an embarrassment. Only Di Maria lived up to his name, as did Messi in the early stages of the tournament. But to be fair, Argentina's game plan was not exactly the easiest environment for forwards to shine.

110%

Post by 110% on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:11 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Considering how hyped the Argentinian forward line was, how expensive those players are, it really was an embarrassment. Only Di Maria lived up to his name, as did Messi in the early stages of the tournament. But to be fair, Argentina's game plan was not exactly the easiest environment for forwards to shine.

I'm going to go against public opinion and say that I thought Di Maria was also poor, and even the single goal he contributed against Switzerland was due to messi. He made it in the top 10 list of players pretty much based on how much he ran, but he lacked quality same as higuain. Aguero was the worst, but they say he is injured. Good job that Barcelona bought suarez and not aguero is all I can say, because they really didn't work well together.

Of course I agree that with the whole team playing defensively it is more difficult for attackers, hence why robben would be my choice for best player. Based on the result of a penalty shootout Argentina made it to the final. If instead the Netherlands had made it, I think Germany would still have won, and Robben may have won the best player trophy. Would people complain as much?
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Robben would have been a deserving golden ball winner. Robben, Müller or James Rodriguez would have been the best choices.

110%

Post by 110% on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:32 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:Robben would have been a deserving golden ball winner. Robben, Müller or James Rodriguez would have been the best choices.

While I don't really care about the award I don't think James Rodriguez is any more deserving than messi. If he was so good Colombia would have got further. The fouling aside Brazil deserved to win the game against Colombia. He had a certain freedom that robben, messi and neymar didn't have as they were more tightly marked and always had a couple of extra players nearby to double up. Rodriguez wasn't quite so good once he became the focus of Brazil's attention. Admittedly he scored some great goals.

Muller was very productive in terms of goals and assists, but in overall play he was a bit quiet. So again not much different to messi.

Robben for me is a clearer choice than the other two but he couldn't beat Argentina, hence award to messi. I can live with it.

Incidentally I wouldn't have mascherano anywhere near this award. Knowing that the refs are not giving 2nd yellows was the only thing that spoiled the tournament for me, this protected players like him instead of the skilful players.
Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Messi wasn't anywhere near his best, so I can understand why people are disappointed. But as he proved all season, Messi not at his best>>>> pretty much anyone else.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:24 pm

While I can see where you are coming from regarding James Rodriguez (1/4 finals isn't really enough to win the golden boot), I strongly disagree with your assessment of Müller. He is essential for Germany's attacking game, far more than just goals and assists. He is der "Raumdeuter" (space interpreter), the "free radical" in a tightly knit tactical framework, absolutely essential for the fluidity of our game because he not only finds and exploits space, but creates it too, in a way that is totally unique. There really is no one else like him. Müller is the first name on the team sheet, and I really don't say this with any kind of hyperbole. He really is. Since that's a very important aspect of the title winning team, a team built on an attacking philosophy, a golden ball would have been totally justified, as he was one of our most consistent players also.

Robben would have been a very good choice, too, as I said earlier. Wouldn't have said a thing if he had won it. Both Müller and Robben were far more influential over the course of the tournament than Messi was. Hell, even the Gaucho legends Maradona and Kempes agree.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:34 pm