Post by Kimbo on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:13 pm

Cabaye is the French Kevin Nolan. scratch 
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Re: Liverpool FC 2014/2015 It's never going to be their year

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Emre Can's favourite position actually is DM / CM, that's where he played most of his matches so far. However, Leverkusen played him on the RB position for much of the last season, where he did a very good job as well. If you're lacking in that area, you could try him there as well. He has even played on the LB position for Bayern earlier.

From a Germany perspective, that would be favourable also, of course.
Xavier

Number of posts : 563
Supports : Germany, Lazio, & the Whole Bloody Bundesliga
Favourite Player : Klose, Kroos, Mueller, Badstuber, Schweinsteiger, L Bender, Di Natale, Modric
Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by Xavier on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 pm

He actually played in the LB position for Leverkusen last year, where he was clearly superior to either Boenisch or Guardado, who came later... The RB position was occupied by Donati & Hilbert.
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Ah yes, got it mixed up with Bayern. That would be even better from the Germany perspective, knowing how we notoriously lack in the LB area. Can is two-footed, so unlike many other 'converted' left backs, playing there shouldn't be a disadvantage.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:08 pm

We play Man United tomorrow night, that should be fun!

110%

Number of posts : 8978
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 pm

Hey Luis, you still unemployed?

You might get free tickets for Everton if you put some effort in down the job centre:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/04/steven-naismith-everton-tickets-liverpool-unemployed
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm not unemployed anymore but that's a sure way to tip someone who is over the edge.
Luis

Post by Luis on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:02 am

Mig, Kelly, Skrtel, Sakho, Johnson, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Lambert, Sterling

De Gea; Evans, Smalling, Jones; Valencia, Herrera, Fletcher, Young; Mata; Rooney, Hernandez
Luis

Post by Luis on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:08 am

Strong side for us considering we have the following players unavailable: Sturridge, Lallana, Markovic, Lovren, Agger.

The depth is definitely there but Lambert and Borini as back up strikers worries me a bit.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Ibe is pretty damn good.
Luis

Post by Luis on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Well that wasn't worth staying up for in the end!

First half we were petty good - we passed it around nicely, Sterling caused mayhem and Coutinho was quality. Sakho performer really well.

Second half we got tired and fell to pieces really. United stepped it up a bit, Mata and Rooney were great.

This game had two worrying factors considering we're less than 2 weeks away from the season:

1) the fullbacks. Johnson was so terrible it hurt to watch. He can't play right back, can't play left back. He just can't play. Please bin him Rodgers. Flanagan, Kelly, Enrique and Manquillo/Moreno should they sign should all be above him in the pecking order.

2) Our back up strikers. It's harsh to criticise Lambert after a few pre season games but last night was a scary preview of life if Sturridge gets injured this season. I'm not sure whether he's trying too hard or what but he looks completely off the pace and ineffectual. I'm just not sure who we can get in this window. It doesn't look like Bony is happening. We are going to need someone though because as good as our wide forwards are, we need someone centrally who is going to cause problems and score goals. Lambert may well get a few but is he capable of big moments in big games? I'm not sure.

It's going to be interesting to see who our first choice centre back pairing is this season. I think we can assume Agger is gone. Lovren will surely be one of them but Skrtel is looking good in pre season so I'm not sure whether Rodgers might stick with him over Sakho.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:07 pm

I went to bed at half time Sad

That's easily the latest I've stayed up for a preseason friendly.
Luis

Post by Luis on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Well that was a great way to end pre season; 4-0 win over Dortmund.

Admittedly, Dortmund didn't look up to scratch but from our perspective we played some excellent football.

Manquillo had a really good debut at right back, didn't put a foot wrong defensively and offensively looks very quick. Reminds me a bit of Arbeloa.

Lovren was pretty great - scored a header from a corner and looked solid defensively.

Coutinho was breathtaking - he has to be a guaranteed starter now, especially in the initial absence of Lallana and Markovic.

Sterling and Sturridge looked really sharp. Great well taken goal for Sturridge.

Gerrard was immense too.

Think it will be the team that starts next weekend vs Southampton:

Mignolet

Manquillo
Skrtel
Lovren
Johnson

Can
Hendo
Gerrard

Sterling
Coutinho

Sturridge

Only question marks will be over Johnson if we can wrap up Moreno in time and maybe Allen might get the nod over Can.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Sterling and Coutinho are magical to watch. Going to be another fun season.

One more striker and we'll challenge again.
Crouching Tiger

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by Crouching Tiger on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:09 pm

I reckon if Allen's in our starting XI we're not going to challenge for anything Luis - he adds nothing to the team other than Welshness so hope Can keeps him out.

We were very impressive today, albeit against a weak Dortmund lineup. Lovren was awesome too. Agree that if we get another decent striker we can challenge. Sterling and Coutinho are insanely good and improving all the time, as is Henderson who in two years has gone from shit to probably more important than Gerrard.

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:55 pm

I wonder if GR still wants Rodgers sacked  Razz 
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Looks like Alberto Moreno is finally sorted. 18m + 2m in variables. Congrats. Ale
Luis

Post by Luis on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Woo! Is he that good? Fuck it, this surely means the end of Johnson  cheers 
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Luis wrote:Woo! Is he that good? Fuck it, this surely means the end of Johnson  cheers 

Great in attack, still learning how to defend.
Luis

Post by Luis on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:31 pm

Jaime wrote:
Luis wrote:Woo! Is he that good? Fuck it, this surely means the end of Johnson  cheers 

Great in attack, still learning how to defend.

We haven't had a left back that can defend in my time as a football fan. Maybe Aurelio but he was made of glass. I'm not too worried, the Lovrenator will ensure Moreno can defend.

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Seems like strange negotiating by Sevilla. I kept reading 20 million pounds and he plays in the supercup so he can say bye to the fans, which I thought was a bit of a risk in case he got injured. In the end it was 12 million and he didn't play.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:24 pm

110% wrote:Seems like strange negotiating by Sevilla. I kept reading 20 million pounds and he plays in the supercup  so he can say bye to the fans, which I thought was a bit of a risk in case he got injured. In the end it was 12 million and he didn't play.

What I read in the Spanish press was Liverpool kept holding out because they did not want to include any additional variable fees. But in the end they ceded so it was 18m euro + 2m in variables.
Crouching Tiger

Post by Crouching Tiger on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:45 pm

I think it's outrageous that we seem to be forcing Agger out. I remember being aghast last season when Sakho replaced him in the XI and we started losing games.

He's our best defender, far better than Skrtle and miles ahead of Sakho. While Lovren might bring leadership to the defence, Agger brings quality on the ball and reliability.

The stats don't like. Why doesn't Brendon like him?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28859801
Luis

Post by Luis on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Crouching Tiger wrote:
I think it's outrageous that we seem to be forcing Agger out. I remember being aghast last season when Sakho replaced him in the XI and we started losing games.

He's our best defender, far better than Skrtle and miles ahead of Sakho. While Lovren might bring leadership to the defence, Agger brings quality on the ball and reliability.

I have always liked Agger but his injuries have made him no longer worth it just like Aurelio and Kelly. We didn't start losing games when Sakho came in, we hardly lost any games since Sakho signed actually, we didn't do as well when Henderson got suspended, nothing to do with Sakho.

Sakho is actually a really good defender, people saying he has poor distribution is nothing more than a silly myth. Ability wise Sakho and Lovren are better than Skrtel but Skrtel is playing so well that he's making it impossible to drop him.

It's not about Brendan liking him or not, it's about Lovren, Skrtel and now Sakho all being fitter and better options now.
Luis

Post by Luis on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:06 pm

It's happened cheers
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Smile
Crouching Tiger

Post by Crouching Tiger on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Luis wrote:
Crouching Tiger wrote:

I have always liked Agger but his injuries have made him no longer worth it just like Aurelio and Kelly. We didn't start losing games when Sakho came in, we hardly lost any games since Sakho signed actually, we didn't do as well when Henderson got suspended, nothing to do with Sakho.

Sakho is actually a really good defender, people saying he has poor distribution is nothing more than a silly myth. Ability wise Sakho and Lovren are better than Skrtel but Skrtel is playing so well that he's making it impossible to drop him.

It's not about Brendan liking him or not, it's about Lovren, Skrtel and now Sakho all being fitter and better options now.

Erm, our win ratio when Sakho-Skrtel partnered was 55% (out of 11 games) and with Agger-Skrtel it was 85% (out of 13 games).

On average we conceded 1.64 goals per game with Sakho-Skrtel starting but only 1 per game with Agger-Skrtel starting.

We did lose more games when Sakho came into the starting XI - that's a fact.

I actually thought Sakho defended poorly last season - he was rash and our defense always seemed uneasy when he was playing. Agger might have injury problems, but he was also on the bench far more than he should have been last season. We only lost one game when Agger started. To claim that Sakho is a better option you have to ignore all the starts & also be INSANE.
Luis

Post by Luis on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:17 pm

I've told you the reason we faded when Sakho played some games - Henderson was missing and we bottled some of them under the pressure; nothing to do with Sakho. Agger and Skrtel have been just as culpable defensively as Sakho throughout their careers.

Agger isn't as good as Lovren and can't stay as fit as Skrtel or Sakho, therefore there's no place for him any more.

Murray

Number of posts : 10183

Post by Murray on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Luis wrote:

It's happened cheers

He's got his IQ on the back of his shirt
Crouching Tiger

Post by Crouching Tiger on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Luis wrote:I've told you the reason we faded when Sakho played some games - Henderson was missing and we bottled some of them under the pressure; nothing to do with Sakho. Agger and Skrtel have been just as culpable defensively as Sakho throughout their careers.

Agger isn't as good as Lovren and can't stay as fit as Skrtel or Sakho, therefore there's no place for him any more.

I watched all of our games last season so I'm not buying that at all. Sakho didn't defend well & the stats back that up. With Agger at the back we played better, with Sakho at the back we played worse. I can't understand why that's so difficult to comprehend and why you're placing no onus on Sakho. Sure, we were worse when Henderson wasn't playing, but we were also worse when Sakho was. They're not interdependent facts.

"Agger isn't as good as Lovren" is a bold statement after 2 games of the season and I'm sure you wouldn't have said that before we signed Lovren for £20million this summer. Agger was our best defender last season and you can't just chose to ignore his success ratio over a long period of games based on your own flawed logic. I get injured less than Agger but that doesn't mean I'm a better option at CB. Same for Sakho - he's been poor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 am